Wolf whistling now a hate crime it seems!

Dazey

3 minutes ago, toroymoi said:

I think they should be fined, then after a certain amount of times arresting them would seem logical. It won't be less common until people there's more repercussions for things like this.

You'd be setting a very dangerous legal prescedent there.  I mean what would this be predicated on?  I suppose it would be offence taken right, how one percieves the wolf whistling, cuz they'd have to have felt encroached upon or threatened to report it to the cops right?  Where do you draw the line there?  I mean there's a way in which you can approach a complete stranger and say hello that could be construed by the person on the recieving end as potentially threatening.

Also, how'd you know what someones whistling at?  They could just go 'i weren't whistling at you'.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, toroymoi said:

To you it may just be a whistle, but when I'm walking somewhere by myself it's intimidating. I just want to reach my location, and these men know nothing of value is to be gained from this, they do it because they know you don't like it. It's purposeful intimidation.

You realize in most cases it's just a guy being an idiot, though? That's all it really is. People are waaay too sensitive nowadays. I mean if you're walking somewhere after dark and the guy is following you and whistling and making lewd comments ("Ey Mamacita! Look at them jugs!"), I can understand feeling intimidated. But if you're on a city street in broad daylight, and some lonely unoffensive dude does it once, and you get scared, then that's more on you than on them. A guy shouldn't have a criminal record and be fucked for the rest of his life because you're overly sensitive. 

Women walk around all the time getting wolf whistled at my morons, and that's something most men don't really understand fully, but I imagine it would be intimidating to walk down a street and be whistled and heckled at, if I was on my own. Just don't fully agree with calling it a hate crime. Make it a crime, give it a penalty, call it a verbal assault. If it was in the workplace it would be a fireable offence. A large fine, or possible court appearance would deter people a lot more than calling it a hate crime. 

The problem is that there's a backlash happening at the moment with people feeling everyone is overly sensitive, so the wrong label on something like this undermines it a little IMO.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Women walk around all the time getting wolf whistled at my morons, and that's something most men don't really understand fully, but I imagine it would be intimidating to walk down a street and be whistled and heckled at, if I was on my own. Just don't fully agree with calling it a hate crime. Make it a crime, give it a penalty, call it a verbal assault. If it was in the workplace it would be a fireable offence. A large fine, or possible court appearance would deter people a lot more than calling it a hate crime. 

The problem is that there's a backlash happening at the moment with people feeling everyone is overly sensitive, so the wrong label on something like this undermines it a little IMO.

If a guy does it ONCE at an attractive woman passing, he should get a fine or be locked up and have "verbal assault" on his record, and be fucked in his life forever?

1 minute ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

You realize in most cases it's just a guy being an idiot, though? That's all it really is. People are waaay too sensitive nowadays. I mean if you're walking somewhere after dark and the guy is following you and whistling and making lewd comments ("Ey Mamacita! Look at them jugs!"), I can understand feeling intimidated. But if you're on a city street in broad daylight, and some lonely unoffensive dude does it once, and you get scared, then that's more on you than on them. A guy shouldn't have a criminal record and be fucked for the rest of his life because you're overly sensitive. 

This idea that men can get away with harassment because "they're just being idiots" or my personal favourite "he's a man, what do you expect!". I expect a level of human decency from them that these types of men clearly aren't willing to afford to women. You can't be passive all the time, sometimes actions needs to be taken.

7 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

You'd be setting a very dangerous legal prescedent there.  I mean what would this be predicated on?  I suppose it would be offence taken right, how one percieves the wolf whistling, cuz they'd have to have felt encroached upon or threatened to report it to the cops right?  Where do you draw the line there?  I mean there's a way in which you can approach a complete stranger and say hello that could be construed by the person on the recieving end as potentially threatening.

Also, how'd you know what someones whistling at?  They could just go 'i weren't whistling at you'.

Speaking from experience, there's a clear difference in how one speaks and the tone they use when it comes to genuinely speaking to someone vs cat calling.

and if someone's the former, if you say "sorry, I have to go" or whatever, they're understanding.

3 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

If a guy does it ONCE at an attractive woman passing, he should get a fine or be locked up and have "verbal assault" on his record, and be fucked in his life forever?

Yes, because he verbally harassed someone so that should be recorded. It's really quite easy to not shout things at random people on the street, surprisingly.

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Hate crime in the UK includes harassment based on gender-identity, sexuality, race or disability. So it technically is one.

The rest of your post is on point though, thank you.

Speaking from experience, there's a clear difference in how one speaks and the tone they use when it comes to genuinely speaking to someone vs cat calling.

and if someone's the former, if you say "sorry, I have to go" or whatever, they're understanding.

I agree but thats you, you personally but we're talking about legislating something so human nature and human prejudices come into play.  Say a 19 stone black guy approaches a lady on the street with a hello or an innocuous approach that she finds scary and encroaching that she wouldn't from another kind of person?  Thats my point, it's about interpretation and there are degrees and levels to that and when you get to legislating against something like a type of whistle then you're into murky ground.

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I agree but thats you, you personally but we're talking about legislating something so human nature and human prejudices come into play.  Say a 19 stone black guy approaches a lady on the street with a hello or an innocuous approach that she finds scary and encroaching that she wouldn't from another kind of person?  Thats my point, it's about interpretation and there are degrees and levels to that and when you get to legislating against something like a type of whistle then you're into murky ground.

I see your point there. I guess what would have to be examined in that area is what was said etc. I think like with any new law or new approach to a pre-existing one, there will be kinks that need to be worked out along the way (like racial dynamics you just mentioned) but I do think it's good to have a base in some form so a precedent can be set.

Edited by toroymoi

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Thats my point, it's about interpretation and there are degrees and levels to that and when you get to legislating against something like a type of whistle then you're into murky ground.

Longer than 5 seconds and an obvious b flat with falsetto? You're coming with me sunshine!!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, toroymoi said:

Yes, because he verbally harassed someone so that should be recorded. It's really quite easy to not shout things at random people on the street, surprisingly.

So the guy should:

1) Spend time in jail, and probably end up being ass raped and have to live with the lifelong trauma of that
2) Spend the rest of his life probably unable to get any decent job, and living out a shitty life

Because he whistled once at a woman, and did nothing more than that?

Are you trolling?

3 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

So the guy should:

1) Spend time in jail, and probably end up being ass raped and have to live with the lifelong trauma of that
2) Spend the rest of his life probably unable to get any decent job, and living out a shitty life

Are you trolling?

How do you know he wont be the one doing the arse raping? :lol:

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, use your fingers and it's the Tower for you! :lol:

With a ascending tariff depending on how many fingers you use!

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

How do you know he wont be the one doing the arse raping? :lol:

With a ascending tariff depending on how many fingers you use!

If a guy is wolf whistling likely the guy isn't the type to get laid all that often, likely as such not a strong or even very attractive guy. He'd be the one getting raped. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

So the guy should:

Are you trolling?

lol, you're really reaching here. If all it takes to not get arrested is not verbally assaulting someone, it's quite easy. Just keeps your words and your whistles to yourself.

41 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

If a guy is wolf whistling likely the guy isn't the type to get laid all that often, likely as such not a strong or even very attractive guy. He'd be the one getting raped. 

:lol:

I always thought wolf whistling was quite an alpha male thing.  A laddish labourer type thing, i mean you're not gonna wolf whistle if you're a weenie are you, cuz she might just turn around and give you a dressing down and make you look like an even bigger weenie :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Why can't you take it as a compliment (like some women do)? If you are not getting whistled it is because you are atrociously ugly. I mean how the hell is it intimidating? You just ignore it if you desire to ignore it.

Oh fucking hell, what a joyless bunch!!

Can you just imagine the arrest?

(Policeman) ''You are under arrest on crimes of hate. You do not have to say anything but whatever you do say may be taken down in evidence and used against you''

(Bricklayer) ''Hate? But she had a cracking pair of tits''.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why can't you take it as a compliment (like some women do)? If you are not getting whistled it is because you are atrociously ugly. I mean how the hell is it intimidating? You just ignore it if you desire to ignore it.

Oh fucking hell, what a joyless bunch!!

Coming from Newcastle as you do a wolf whistl usually results in a flash of minge so i can imagine your distress :lol:

I've had both. In my younger more virile days I looked like Brad from Neighbours from behind. So as I walked past this girls school every morning to my surgery class at clege they would shout "brad!" I would get more ass than a toilet seat back then solely on my looks. 

on the flip side. 20 years of booze later I look more like a fat Nic Cage lookalike on a chicken burger binge. So when I was rolling down the street these ugly fat girls shouted "minger!" at me and openly mocked me. 

At that point I knew it was over. This is when I started liking Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toroymoi said:

lol, you're really reaching here. If all it takes to not get arrested is not verbally assaulting someone, it's quite easy. Just keeps your words and your whistles to yourself.

I'm not reaching.
You want the guy to be arrested, and convicted of a hate crime or "harassment" for one singular whistle.
He will likely go to prison. He will likely get raped there. Even if he is not raped, he will have "verbal assault" on his record for the rest of his life, and even though it is a minor crime, employers will be very hesitant to hire him, thus fucking over his future. A potential employer won't care to look over the details of the case; all they will see is the guy was arrested and convicted of a crime and decide not to hire him. All because you were offended at a 'whistle'. A whistle is not an 'assault'. Please grow up and stop being so sensitive.

2 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

He will likely get raped there

Christ, your country's prisons must be one hell of a laugh?

Fundamentally there are too many people 'offended' by something, who see their ''Yuman rights disrespected (my best modern ethnic-Londoner patois haha). Rather than ''be offended'', why don't you merely grow a pair of bollocks (figuratively obviously if you are a lady - unless you are a tranny of course)? You are not really offended, are you? You are not really insulted? To be offended and insulted do not apply here. The appearance of a wolf whistle will have no further bearing infact on the remaining hours of your day, least of all the rest of your life. It is merely a 'little embarrassing' perhaps - a minor inconvenience in the humdrum of daily human interaction - but words like offended and insulted are hyperbole.

There is also too much state interference. Never before, post-war, has the state interfered in human interaction, human thought, sans outside of the Warsaw Pact and George Orwell.

Do you really want legislation on this?