UFO Thread

Gunner55

Seeing how interested I became in the ghosts thread, figured I'd start one for something else I'm heavily interested in. UFOs. Aliens. Life outside of planet earth. Whatever the hell you wanna call it. Ever had any encounters? 

I have only had 1. I was driving my car, had one girl in with me, and we were following friends driving in my buddies car. We were in a provincial park outside city limits and it was just after midnight. I noticed out my front windshield above me what seemed to be maybe a plane flying pretty low. Seemed low to be a jet but I was clearly able to make out a few lights on it (maybe like, nose tail and wings of a plane). I pointed it out and entirely jokingly and sarcastically said to my friend, "Hey look a UFO!" Almost like whatever it was heard me, right after I said that it out of nowhere sped up insanely fast and flew off. Like, I couldn't think of any aircraft on earth that could accelerate that quickly. It flew off over trees and I lost it. I was looking where it flew off in disbelief along with my friend, both of using checking with each other to make sure we saw the same thing. About 15 seconds later, it came back and insanely fast zoomed off back in the direction it initially was and kept going. The park exit makes you take an overpass over the highway into a cloverleaf to get you onto the highway to go back to the city. Once I got to this overpass was where I was able to see the direction in which it went without trees in the way (park is heavily forested). Sure enough further out there you can see a bright light larger than a star, assuming it was what I had seen in the park. It appeared to be just hovering in place, but I couldn't tell for sure as it seemed much further by this point. It stayed there the whole drive back to the city which took about 15 minutes. I'm between first sighting and getting out of the park way maybe a minute minute and a half. 

To this day I have no idea what I saw that night. We were outside city limits so you could see a lot more stars, no city lights around anywhere. I was sober that night. I've never been one for any type of drugs so I wasn't under the influence of anything. One of the crazier things I've seen in my life I'd say. 

I was raised by a man who claimed to visit a place called Klondike the 21st of every month and that the round ones were our friends and the cigar ones were hostile and, apart from the odd lights in the sky followed by a shooting star that drained a fully charged battery of a 1990s camcorder .. He also suggested biblical divine intervention was no more than space ships. That was my father's stories he told us kids growing up. Listening to my maternal grandmother, my father's James Bond with a cover to be an entertainer keeping tabs on the IRA in London back in the day, and if society ever fell, he was charged of leading his local area blah blah blah.. I was the youngest out of 11; I only saw him as an older gentleman, but I have seen him demonstrate fancy driving when he once chased down a white van man who got rude to me and him when I was a child. He went from slow driver who went from South London to Brighton in 3 hours along the M23, a journey that usually lasted 1 hour, to fast, controlled, quick shifts etc, like police like driving; My father was born in 1939 and started driving when he was 11; he taught me how to drive stick/manual when I was 16 and how to do an emergency stop on a slippery surface. He was conscripted into the army and drove for them.

Still can't forget his tales of Klondike. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

I've seen a few odd lights in the night sky, moving too fast and silently to be any kind of plane, however I live in a big fighter jet practice area, the Northumberland coastline, so who knows? During the war, American pilots used to call them 'Foo Fighters' hence the name of the rock band.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've seen a few odd lights in the night sky, moving too fast and silently to be any kind of plane, however I live in a big fighter jet practice area, the Northumberland coastline, so who knows? During the war, American pilots used to call them 'Foo Fighters' hence the name of the rock band.

Are you sure?  Cuz I'm sure I've heard a different explanation from the band.

EDIT:. Apparently you're right.  This is what I get for reading Kerrang as a kid :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

i suggest you look up the phenomenon of panspermia

it rejects both creation and evolution on earth, and poses the very credible hypothesis that life originated elsewhere in the universe, and then rained down on earth in comets.

it implies we are the aliens

if aliens are syping on us, a couple of assumptions need to be made:

- they have to be able to either travel faster than light, or be able to open worm holes.

- such ability requires a superior advanced civilization. it is possible such a civilization exists. all it requires is either: lots of time, or: the planet with the right conditions.

- these so called "super earths" have actually been discovered already. they have most chance of appearing around red dwarves, which, incidently, the universe is full of.

- super earths are much larger than earth, and have favorable conditions around the surface. it usually needs shallow water, since deep oceans are not favorable to life: most marine life on earth exists in shallow waters.

- on super earths, because of these conditions, life evolves much faster than on earth (which is only bareably habitable and environments like deserts or the poles aren't really fitting to humans). so a civilization can develop faster, in less time. earth is a lesser planet, with lesser life and lesser intelligence.

- super earths, because of their size, have a bigger gravitational force than earth which is smaller. beings living on super earths will not survive on earth. maybe that's why they don't visit earth? I don't know. or maybe they see us as under developed ants with despicable morals and limited intelligence? I think that's probably. its highly doubtable that a civilization that have the ability to open wormholes would find any value in communicating with us. we just aren't worthy.

1 hour ago, action said:

i suggest you look up the phenomenon of panspermia

it rejects both creation and evolution on earth, and poses the very credible hypothesis that life originated elsewhere in the universe, and then rained down on earth in comets.

it implies we are the aliens

As an undergaraduate I spent some time looking through newly sequenced genomes of various bacteria looking for messages from whoever might have potentially designed them. The idea was that IF life on Earth was seeded by some super-intelligent species somewhere else in the Universe, then they might have left telltale sign of this life engineering inside the genomes of the organisms them used to populate Earth, and current bacteria - who would be descendants of these originator species - must necesarrily have remnants of these imprinted signs even if they by now would be contaminated by random mutations accumulated over the billions of years that have passed by.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

As an undergaraduate I spent some time looking through newly sequenced genomes of various bacteria looking for messages from whoever might have potentially designed them. The idea was that IF life on Earth was seeded by some super-intelligent species somewhere else in the Universe, then they might have left telltale sign of this life engineering inside the genomes of the organisms them used to populate Earth, and current bacteria - who would be descendants of these originator species - must necesarrily have remnants of these imprinted signs even if they by now would be contaminated by random mutations accumulated over the billions of years that have passed by.

good point.

evidence of this "alien DNA" is plentifull. alien DNA is already inside us, and multiplying as we speak. alien DNA can have a whole bunch of results, good or bad. scientists don't know where these alien DNA strings come from, but the fact remains that they have been discovered.

1 hour ago, action said:

if aliens are syping on us, a couple of assumptions need to be made:

- they have to be able to either travel faster than light, or be able to open worm holes.

I don't agree with this assumption. I see no reason why aliens couldn't have travelled to our solar system at a speed far below the speed of light. Yes, it might take thousands of years, but that might not be or feel long to an alien species. Who knows? We shouldn't let our imagination be limited by our own species' generation time or sense of time.

Just now, action said:

good point.

evidence of this "alien DNA" is plentifull. alien DNA is already inside us, and multiplying as we speak. alien DNA can have a whole bunch of results, good or bad. scientists don't know where these alien DNA strings come from, but the fact remains that they have been discovered.

We have yet to discvover any DNA sequences that implies an extraterrestrial origin, so I am not sure what you are saying.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't agree with this assumption. I see no reason why aliens couldn't have travelled to our solar system at a speed far below the speed of light. Yes, it might take thousands of years, but that might not be or feel long to an alien species. Who knows? We shouldn't let our imagination be limited by our own species' generation time or sense of time.

We have yet to discvover any DNA sequences that implies an extraterrestrial origin, so I am not sure what you are saying.

oh, its well documented. here is the first article I can find about the issue:

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/20347/20160324/alien-dna-strands-discovered-human-genome-rna-virus-retrovirus.htm

and another one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2994187/Mystery-alien-genes-Scientists-discover-DNA-NOT-ancestors-say-change-think-evolution.html

Edited by action

2 minutes ago, action said:

I am afraid you have misunderstood these articles. When they talk about "alien DNA", they don't mean DNA from outerspace but DNA found in organisms inherited through a process called 'lateral gene transfer', meaning that DNA has been transferred from one species to another. So in the context of being human DNA it is "alien" in the sense that it is quite different as a result of recently having entered our genome from very evolutionary distant species like bacteria. The term "alien DNA" is simply quite misleading and I get why you misunderstood it.

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am afraid you have misunderstood these articles. When they talk about "alien DNA", they don't mean DNA from outerspace but DNA found in organisms inherited through a process called 'lateral gene transfer', meaning that DNA has been transferred from one species to another. So in the context of being human DNA it is "alien" in the sense that it is quite different as a result of recently having entered our genome from very evolutionary distant species like bacteria. The term "alien DNA" is simply quite misleading and I get why you misunderstood it.

i never said the "alien DNA" strings were extraterrestrial though :P in fact I said scientists don't know where it came from. so all options are still open.

an other topic was panspermia, which means the building blocks of life came from outer space. now this IS already proven since it has been discovered that some comets do in fact contain the building blocks of life.

one doesn't imply the other, but it's a start of further investigation

4 minutes ago, action said:

i never said the "alien DNA" strings were extraterrestrial though :P in fact I said scientists don't know where it came from. so all options are still open.

an other topic was panspermia, which means the building blocks of life came from outer space. now this IS already proven since it has been discovered that some comets do in fact contain the building blocks of life.

one doesn't imply the other, but it's a start of further investigation

Well, you did respond "It is well documented" to my statement "We have yet to discvover any DNA sequences that implies an extraterrestrial origin, so I am not sure what you are saying." But yeah, we can't trace the origin of every piece of DNA we have in our genomes. We can trace most of it, and this is really cool, most of it is viral in origin :D

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, you did respond "It is well documented" to my statement "We have yet to discvover any DNA sequences that implies an extraterrestrial origin, so I am not sure what you are saying." But yeah, we can't trace the origin of every piece of DNA we have in our genomes. We can trace most of it, and this is really cool, most of it is viral in origin :D

fair enough.

it boils down to "we don't know where it came from". an extraterrestrial origin isn't proven as of today, so anyone can make up his mind.

I'm a "believer" which implies a lack of evidence. I'm also a sceptic at the same time, but so far every hint I see points in the same direction: that the building blocks came from outer space.

remember, earth was a burning rock at one time. hell, earth is a collection of extraterrestrial rock itself, if you think of it.

I always found the notion of "extraterrestrial" a bit arbitray, to tell you the truth.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Wait for it - wait for it action...

And you're in a soul monster argument. (Alas, we've all been there). I'll see you at Christmas time.

oh no, and I'm argumentative myself. :P see this thread reach 10 pages by tomorrow :lol:

Just now, action said:

fair enough.

it boils down to "we don't know where it came from". an extraterrestrial origin isn't proven as of today, so anyone can make up his mind.

I'm a "believer" which implies a lack of evidence. I'm also a sceptic at the same time, but so far every hint I see points in the same direction: that the building blocks came from outer space.

remember, earth was a burning rock at one time. hell, earth is a collection of extraterrestrial rock itself, if you think of it.

I always found the notion of "extraterrestrial" a bit arbitray, to tell you the truth.

I am partial to the panspermia hypothesis myself, after all, I did look for exttraterrestrial messages in the genomes of current bacteria :D One of the main arguments for why panspermia is real is the fact that life evolved almost too fast in the beginning, suggesting that life didn't start as a single origina arising from abiogenesis, but actually was seeded as a cocktail of organisms designed by aliens to thrive on Earth and quickly evolve into many new organisms. Secondly, as you have mentioned, we know that comets and such can bring complex organic molecules to earth, so why not biological replicators, too?

IF we were alone in the universe, that would make for a pretty depressing thought.

we have IS crimes, the Nazis, murder, rape, and what have you.

we are responsible for the extinction of animal species..... and remember earth would be the only planet containing life!

rainforests are being burned down, oceans are dying.

so I chose to believe there are "other earths" which contain life. I'd like to think we're not in business of eliminating all life in the universe. what a fucking depressing thought that would be.

Roswell screams cover up as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to find out what goes on in Area 51 in my lifetime. Fuck, that base hasn't even been acknowledged as an existing thing until very recently by government. What are they hiding? I'm sure we have technology that the general public doesn't know about. I believe man has been reverse engineering alien spacecraft over the years. I'd even bet on the majority of UFO sightings being man made machines. 

My grandparents claim to have been abducted. They live 45 minutes out of Winnipeg in a small town that if yiu blink you miss is it while going down the highway. They claim they were driving late at night/early morning I guess, saw an orb in the sky, the sky lit up and flashed and went away after literally a few seconds. Right afterwards they looked at the time on their dashboard and gramps watch and in that time 3 hours had passed. 3 hours in a matter of maybe 5 seconds. Alien abduction is that conclusion they somehow came to. But I've heard of that happening before. People driving and suddenly it's like they blink and a couple hours have passed and they have no memory of where that blank time went. Chris Jericho had some UFO guy on his podcast last year I think and they talked in depth about it. I had the time loss thing once, but it was far too short to be anything like that. I had just gotten off work from a 2am shift, it was 11am,i was dead tired,  I remember being maybe 4 blocks from my house and suddenly I drove into and hit Day Street which is 3 blocks past my house. No idea how I missed the turnoff. Had no memory. I just recalled turning onto my street and out of nowhere hitting a street 3 blocks away from where I intended to go. But I get maybe 2 hours of sleep before those early Friday AM shifts so I'm sure that's what caused it. Just exhaustion. 

2 hours ago, action said:

IF we were alone in the universe, that would make for a pretty depressing thought.

we have IS crimes, the Nazis, murder, rape, and what have you.

we are responsible for the extinction of animal species..... and remember earth would be the only planet containing life!

rainforests are being burned down, oceans are dying.

so I chose to believe there are "other earths" which contain life. I'd like to think we're not in business of eliminating all life in the universe. what a fucking depressing thought that would be.

I agree, it is a comforting thought. But yeah, the horror of life only existing on Earth with us squandering it slowly away through mass extinctions and global warming. It is horrific. That's why I am also partial to the idea of US seeding Universe with life from Earth. Not humans, or apes or other animals, but extremophiles, bacteria engineered to be able to survice space travel and then colonize and biotransform exoplanets. It is not at all as far-fetched as it may seem, we are already quite skilled at engineering life forms through synthetic biology. The transportion could happen in some pod slung out into space. It might not travel quickly but these bacteria could lie dormant in spore stages over millenia, just waiting to arrive. A cocktail of various bacteria sent out in many direction might lead to life elsewhere. And we would be the aliens. We would be the species that engineered life, imprinted messages in the genomes and sent them out. Five billion years from now some intelligent species at a far-away planet might just start to wonder if their life originated elsewhere, if someone long time ago engineered the life forms they would later evolve from. We would be those aliens, we would be those gods.

Is it conceiveable? Absolutely. Is it morally justified? I think so. Should we do it? We should at least consider it.

• Like 1