METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

On 11/12/2016 at 7:36 PM, Rovim said:

I'd take Axl anyday over Metallica, and I like their good albums. At least he cares about not repeating himself musically when it comes to Guns and that it actually doesn't fuck up the catalog like St. Anger did for Metallica.

yeah cause CD isn't a shit stain on the GnR catleogue :rolleyes:.  I'll take a band that tries to do something over a  band that pretends to do something. All Axl has done the last 20 years is leech off the legacy of the past and "write music". Like give me a fucking break. Only GnR fans would say they respect a band who has a "vault" full of unreleased, never heard music more than a band who puts out new albums every 5 years or so. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bono said:

yeah cause CD isn't a shit stain on the GnR catleogue :rolleyes:.  I'll take a band that tries to do something over a  band that pretends to do something. All Axl has done the last 20 years is leech off the legacy of the past and "write music". Like give me a fucking break. Only GnR fans would say they respect a band who has a "vault" full of unreleased, never heard music more than a band who puts out new albums every 5 years or so. 

Yeah but don't you like shit stains? you're fine with getting a new U2 record that is basically a recycled turd. Respecting bands that release shit like Metallica for what? I'd respect them way more if they knew it was time to stop.

Their latest is just another rehash.

Chinese was a long and expensive attempt to create something genuine which Axl has done. There Was A Time, Catcher, Street Of Dreams, Better are not shit stains on the catalog and that's because Axl took the time to put together something inspired and timeless.

Not even sure he'll be able to top Chinese with the next potential release if it's not CD ll or mostly vault material, but it could possible.

Chinese Democracy was Axl's attempt of reinventing Guns. It is his Achtung Baby that failed to gain acceptance and become a huge seller but just as successful at bringing new elements to a classic sound. (Better for example)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yeah but don't you like shit stains? you're fine with getting a new U2 record that is basically a recycled turd. Respecting bands that release shit like Metallica for what? I'd respect them way more if they knew it was time to stop.

Perhaps in your opinion but the world is bigger than that. A lot of people out there really like U2's or Metallica's latest album. It's cool if you don't, but that doesn't mean it's time for them to stop just because you don't like them, because there are millions out there who do like them.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

Same could be said about Axl after Izzy, Slash and Duff leaved GNR.

There are many people who think CD is a turd and Axl shouldn't release something under the GNR name on his own.

And their opinion is just as right as yours.

It's just your opinion police strikes again.

An avid U2 fan thinks Chinese is a shit stain on the legacy of Guns while U2 have repeated themselves to death, Metallica as well.

When Axl has nothing to say artistically, his lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?

The quality of Chinese and the push forward is clearly there. I gave an example (Achtung Baby) U2 don't do that anymore I'm afraid. Axl is not doing anything, but at least the legacy is intact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

There should be a 'just your opinion police' on this board beause so many people here mix up opinions with facts. I'm still not sure if it's arrogancy, thinking your opinion is the only valid one, or people simply not getting it.

Yeah, it's total chaos. Opinions about music mixed with other opinions about music. It's all opinions about music. Fact is it's always just my opinion or yours.

Always reminding others it's not a fact that album is good or shit or this one is tedious and a waste of time but hey... just my opinion.

Just now, Rovim said:

Yeah, it's total chaos. Opinions about music mixed with other opinions about music. It's all opinions about music. Fact is it's always just my opinion or yours.

Always reminding others it's not a fact that album is good or shit or this one is tedious and a waste of time but hey... just my opinion.

uh huh, yet you and so many others make statements after statements on here like your opinion is a matter of fact and the only right one.

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

uh huh, yet you and so many others make statements after statements on here like your opinion is a matter of fact and the only right one.

Is that a fact or just your opinion? you didn't specify, there was no "imo" in the end of the sentence so I'm guessing you're just arrogant.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Is that a fact or just your opinion? you didn't specify, there was no "imo" in the end of the sentence so I guess you're just arrogant.

I'm extremely arrogant because I'm pretty fucking smart and awesome and I've been told good looking too, but in this case I was stating a fact. Not an opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

with axl playing only a couple chinese democracy songs with the rest greatest hits which axl plays you're a nostalgia act  

And there's nothing wrong with that... I don't get why some people are getting their panties in a twist over this. When 85% of your setlist each night consists of songs that you have written 25 to 30 years ago, then you're definitely feeding people's nostalgia and that's fine. It's not very progressive, but it's no crime.

Edited by EvanG

there would be no problem if chinese democracy was never released. the fact Chinese democracy was released makes this a problem. especially since axl said he prefers to sing the chinese songs more to singing songs he wrote 30 years ago. and yet axl isn't progressive playing a mostly chinese era setlist. chinese democracy is progressive. chinese democracy is progress. but axl doesn't show it at the shows

Edited by Night Drive Lonelinessl

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

People do the same with CD to be honest. They say it's a shit stain like it's a fact etc.

If you say well I don't think so because x,y,z they say that's just your opinion not a fact, like their opinion is fact. 

But then don't accept St Anger/DM could be too and say millions love it. That's a fact too. 

It just goes round and round. Just opinions. 

But CD fans are not the aggressors. 

Anyway Mick Wall agrees with me nowadays, I'm now legit. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

Chinese was a long and expensive attempt to create something genuine which Axl has done. There Was A Time, Catcher, Street Of Dreams, Better are not shit stains on the catalog and that's because Axl took the time to put together something inspired and timeless.

Not even sure he'll be able to top Chinese with the next potential release if it's not CD ll or mostly vault material, but it could possible.

Chinese Democracy was Axl's attempt of reinventing Guns. It is his Achtung Baby that failed to gain acceptance and become a huge seller but just as successful at bringing new elements to a classic sound. (Better for example)

Oh look at this. Yet another played out, dumbass  reply when you know your point is invalid you move to an irrelevant topic. Me liking U2 has NOTHING to do with this but if that helps you distract yourself from the opinion that you prefer a band you like to release nothing, over releasing something then go ahead. Trust me as a U2 fan I much prefer the fact they've released 5 albums in the last 18 years compared to GnR's 1. but yeah man you go ahead and respect the fuck outta the notion that Axl has musical and creative integrity and has a vault full of music you never get to hear. That's badass dude. Metallica? What a bunch of assclowns for releasing music. Fuck those washed up assholes.  You're a liar if you say you wouldn't prefer an alternate reality where Axl has released 5 albums. 

Also.... Chinese Democracy is just as successful as Achtung Baby in terms of creativity and bringing new elements to a classic sound? hahaha! WOW!  That's the funniest shit I have ever heard. U2 did Achtung Baby at the height of their career, completely overhauled their sound and image, released arguably their greatest album and did it all without missing a beat or alienating their fan base. In fact they actually grew their fan base. Axl fucked around with a  revolving door of musicians chasing music trends and waiting 12 fucking years after Slash and Duff left the band to release a fucking mess of an album that has been universally criticized for having god awful production,  without a classic song or memorable riff, that has been panned by the majority of people who liked Guns N Roses. It's viewed as the shit stain of their discography and is an era of the band most would prefer to just forget. But you're gonna sit there and say it's on par with Achtung Baby in terms of creative success?  Enjoy living in your GnR bubble man. 

• Like 4

To move the conversation away from a GNR - U2 comparison, I'm usually against nostalgia tours if there's still creative juice left in the tank or if a band is still going strong.  Most bands get 3-7 years of musical relevancy (U2 would be an exception), afterwards all bands are pretty much nostalgia acts.   I know it's viewed in the pejorative sense, but it's the natural evolution of all artists who stick around long enough.  

That said, the hunger and interest in GNR past this first round of touring will dip in certain parts of the world unless the band gives people another reason to buy tickets.  Generally that means a new album.  In GNR's case, it could also mean revamping the setlist/show structure.  If GNR is planning on playing NA again next year, they're either going to have to play areas versus stadiums.  If they want to keep playing areas on a regular basis after that, a new album or material is likely needed.  

Then again, who knows if the band has any interest to keep going after a couple of rounds of touring.  Perhaps we stop worrying about what GNR is and what it should be enjoy it for the fact it's currently active and may not be in the not so-distant future.  

We're all hoping that this tour serves as a springboard to new material being released, and who knows, that may very well happen (18 months ago we never thought we'd be here as GNR fans).  But if this year and next proves to be it for the band, well, I won't concern myself so much as to the nature of the tour and just enjoy the band and concerts for what they are.  

• Like 2

Hopefully Axl will be driven by the fact he has Slash and Duff back in Guns and he thinks Gn'R's catalog is way too small. If Gn'R released 5 more albums but they were kinda shitty, that would suck. I don't think just a few good tunes on a Guns album are enough to warrant a release. Not even a solid album of mostly good tracks.

I was disappointed when I first realized Slash is not the type of musician to invest a lot of time and care in recording on his own and making sure it's a truly great album. Izzy can't make a Guns album on his own. So the only way to have something that at least doesn't look silly next to Appetite, Lies, and Illusions, something that has artistic weight, is to wait until Axl thinks it's ready and it's time.

I think that's all it is: quality over quantity with lawsuits that slow shit down, other projects, and making money. At least Chinese was an attempt to move forward, if that is lost and Axl will release a fuck yeah album, it's over. It's really over. But if it takes 4 or 5 more years and it's great with Slash and Duff, we'll have 6 great Guns albums, not 5 great ones and a really bad reunion one.

How many people here even think that to go out with a bang with a Guns album could even work if it's not good enough? people expect Axl to come up with something on the level of Illusions? If that's the case, then that's a tall order and Axl can't top it like he couldn't bury Appetite with Illusions, even if it was also great.

My dumb ass concludes Axl is up for making another great Guns album based on what he said recently and his love for Slash's playing but they might need time to make it happen as Axl creates in mysterious ways.

Edited by Rovim

11 hours ago, wasted said:

People do the same with CD to be honest. They say it's a shit stain like it's a fact etc.

If you say well I don't think so because x,y,z they say that's just your opinion not a fact, like their opinion is fact. 

But then don't accept St Anger/DM could be too and say millions love it. That's a fact too. 

It just goes round and round. Just opinions. 

But CD fans are not the aggressors. 

Anyway Mick Wall agrees with me nowadays, I'm now legit. 

I think the problem on a forum is that it's all in written form and people don't always choose their words carefully around here. Therefore when I express an opinion on here I usually throw in an ''IMO'' or ''I think'' or whatever, because in some cases it can be mistaken for a fact, especially the way some users here choose their words and construct sentences. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think the problem on a forum is that it's all in written form and people don't always choose their words carefully around here. Therefore when I express an opinion on here I usually throw in an ''IMO'' or ''I think'' or whatever, because in some cases it can be mistaken for a fact, especially the way some users here choose their words and construct sentences. 

I think also I type on my phone on the subway or bus. So it's often like note form. Not really how I talk or write. Niceties goes out the window on the set of Speed 3: Wasted holds on. 

Also I don't ask questions. Nobody will answer but if you make incorrect statement people will tell you the answer. It's a mobile GNR wikipedia. 

Most of what I say is speculative fiction at best. Who the fuck knows what will happen. This emphasis might be because I can't access youtube so there's less to enjoy like videos etc. So I focus on speculation and making alternative tracklistings. 

Edited by wasted
Fantasy
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people think just because they like Axl's solo record over the other's solo records that means that it is actually better and Axl cares about the quality more than the others.

As far as I know, they way Slash or Izzy work on their solo albums is the same way they worked on Appetite, they write songs and when they have enough material, they go to the studio and record it. The difference is they no longer have the other 4 guys to enhance their songs but if you think they don't care about making the best album they could make, then we can assume they didn't care with Appetite either, yet it's one of the best albums EVER. So to me this whole idea of spending a million years over analyzing everything is worthless. Slash, Izzy and Duff weren't able to reach the quality of Appetite with their solo records but neither was Axl spending half of his life in Chinese Democracy.

Also, it's been said a lot on this forum that Axl turned an album to the label that was rejected in (I think) 1999. If that's true, then not even Axl was into taking a hundred years perfecting an album. If that album included Silkworms, then they idea of Axl being obsessive about quality would be bullshit.

IMO, the worst song ever written by any of these guys was Axl's My World so I'll never accept this idea of Axl being the guy who guarantees quality while Slash releases the first shit he comes up with. To me that's not even up to opinions, that's just a false statement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I don't understand why people think just because they like Axl's solo record over the other's solo records that means that it is actually better and Axl cares about the quality more than the others.

As far as I know, they way Slash or Izzy work on their solo albums is the same way they worked on Appetite, they write songs and when they have enough material, they go to the studio and record it. The difference is they no longer have the other 4 guys to enhance their songs but if you think they don't care about making the best album they could make, then we can assume they didn't care with Appetite either, yet it's one of the best albums EVER. So to me this whole idea of spending a million years over analyzing everything is worthless. Slash, Izzy and Duff weren't able to reach the quality of Appetite with their solo records but neither was Axl spending half of his life in Chinese Democracy.

Also, it's been said a lot on this forum that Axl turned an album to the label that was rejected in (I think) 1999. If that's true, then not even Axl was into taking a hundred years perfecting an album. If that album included Silkworms, then they idea of Axl being obsessive about quality would be bullshit.

IMO, the worst song ever written by any of these guys was Axl's My World so I'll never accept this idea of Axl being the guy who guarantees quality while Slash releases the first shit he comes up with. To me that's not even up to opinions, that's just a false statement.

That's exactly what I always try to say. Take any of Slash's albums and imagine the other four guys' input to that. 

Slash does on his solo albums the same thing that he did with guns. He writes riffs, solos and other guitar parts. But there is no Izzy to add his ideas to it. 

Izzy writes simple riffs. Like My Michelle, Slash completed them, or played them in another tempo. All I wanna say is they worked together on songs.

So even when their solo albums aren't GNR level, they had potential to be. That mixed style of those 5 guys was an important part of Guns success

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

GNR have not released an album in 25 years. They have just reunited and are playing shows for the first time since 1993. Metallica never broke up, it is stupid for him to make these comments. GNR haven't even finished their SA tour yet. Axl was touring with AC/DC as well. If GNR continue to tour for a couple of years with this exact same list, and show no signs of writing new music, then Kirk will have a point. Until then, he needs to shut the fuck up.  

P.S Axl's shit solo album is not GNR, so please stop using that as an argument in this thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That's exactly what I always try to say. Take any of Slash's albums and imagine the other four guys' input to that. 

Slash does on his solo albums the same thing that he did with guns. He writes riffs, solos and other guitar parts. But there is no Izzy to add his ideas to it. 

Izzy writes simple riffs. Like My Michelle, Slash completed them, or played them in another tempo. All I wanna say is they worked together on songs.

So even when their solo albums aren't GNR level, they had potential to be. That mixed style of those 5 guys was an important part of Guns success

But with all their potential, if we seek quality and something close to a Guns album, you're only gonna find it consistently as an album, not just 2 to 3 tracks here and there on Chinese post old Guns.

Izzy is talented enough to always make it great, but it ain't Guns cause you need Axl to perfect it, and Slash to perfect it, Duff bass lines, musical logic, and arrangements and Steven for the Gn'R groove and feel.

But even only with Axl, some other talented musicians, a decade, and 15 mil, it's still stands tall as the best post old Guns project, cause it's the only album that pushed forward artistically and it still contains very Guns like tunes that could fit on Illusions.

The times where Chinese pushed the most forward musically or lyrically, it still works. Better and Catcher. SOD, This I Love, and There Was A Time all could have been on Illusions.

Edited by Rovim