Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

I am wondering why the current line up makes no attempt to do 14 years and Dust and bones? I know these are Izzy songs and I have always been pleased they seem to be off limits, but given the last two cover songs which I thought were awful, I really would prefer to have them reinstated. Obviously I would have an initial melt down, blame them for being insensitive, money grabbing assholes, post a lengthy piece about how they are cashing in on Izzy songs but can't pay him to be there etc... but better in the long run to have these deep cuts over covers right?

I know there is a catalogue of songs they could be doing, but I wanted to discuss these two. Do they avoid them out of respect for Izzy (seems unlikley) or because they can't work out a suitable arrangement for the vocals? 

What do you think? Could they make them work, would there be a backlash. 

7 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I am wondering why the current line up makes no attempt to do 14 years and Dust and bones? I know these are Izzy songs and I have always been pleased they seem to be off limits, but given the last two cover songs which I thought were awful, I really would prefer to have them reinstated. Obviously I would have an initial melt down, blame them for being insensitive, money grabbing assholes, post a lengthy piece about how they are cashing in on Izzy songs but can't pay him to be there etc... but better in the long run to have these deep cuts over covers right?

I know there is a catalogue of songs they could be doing, but I wanted to discuss these two. Do they avoid them out of respect for Izzy (seems unlikley) or because they can't work out a suitable arrangement for the vocals? 

At the end of the day I personally think is Axl the one who chooses the songs. Maybe is because he can't see himself singing those? Without Izz

4 minutes ago, TheKillerQueen said:

At the end of the day I personally think is Axl the one who chooses the songs. Maybe is because he can't see himself singing those? Without Izz

Out of loyalty to Izzy, or because nobody else could do the vocals? Can Fortus  :ph34r: sing, would Duff be able to carry it off?

10 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Maybe they don't want to stir more backlash with "Where's Izzy" complaints? Or Axl can't/don't want to sing them. I would just find it disrespectful if they played them without Izzy.

For the covers, well. GnR always has been a band doing far too many cover versions. And they haven't always been good doing it, I think. Didn't like the "I feel good" thing at all.

Anyway, I'm missing Izzy and Izzy news - and this thread - so much. But it seems there isn't anything new to discuss for me right now. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It seems that the Wikipedia entry for Wichita Lineman ( cover versions) has been updated by a Stizzy fan :lol:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Lineman

'Most unexpected' That's a nice way to put it.

I agree that the songs without Izzy  would be very disrespectful, but at this point I have to assume Izzy just isn't interested enough, so why not.

On a completly separate note, the new like buttons I assume the cup is for most epic post ever, but what does the dolphin mean? 

Edited by Archtop
  • GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I agree that the songs without Izzy  would be very disrespectful, but at this point I have to assume Izzy just isn't interested enough, so why not.

Izzy may not be interested but if we, his fans, find it disrespectful I'm glad that band is not playing those songs. ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Archtop said:

'Most unexpected' That's a nice way to put it.

On a completly separate note, the new like buttons I assume the cup is for most epic post ever, but what does the dolphin mean? 

The dolphin must be for over-indulgent bullshit not knowing what you're talking about as well as misuse of metaphors and your own therapy sessions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

@Blackstar That's from 2013. Totally different time then. Totally different between Izzy and the rest of the guys. I'd have a big problem with them singing the song now. Not so, then.

I have never seen this, I like it more than I thought I would. This is more GnR for me than many of the covers rolled out over the tour.

I'm not sure how I would find this being done on the current tour, but Duff pulls it off. I also have a soft spot for Jeff Rouse so a little biased. 😄

@Tori72 I posted the Duff Loaded video in reply to @Archtop about whether Duff could do vocals on Dust N' Bones if they played it, but my post was a mess for unknown reasons (I hid it now).

I also said in that post that Axl's GnR played 14 Years only in 2012 with Izzy and they never played DN'B. I don't think Slash or VR have ever played either song.

My guess is that Axl wouldn't play them (14 Years mostly) without Izzy.

----

About the dolphin button: according to the Ask Stuff Anything thread, it's supposed to be "the ultimate GnR like".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

@Tori72 I posted the Duff Loaded video in reply to @Archtop about whether Duff could do vocals on Dust N' Bones if they played it, but my post was messed up (I hid it now).

I also said in that post that Axl's GnR played 14 Years only in 2012 with Izzy and they never played DN'B. I don't think Slash or VR have ever played either song.

My guess is that Axl wouldn't play 14 Years at least without Izzy.

----

About the dolphin button: according to the Ask Stuff Anything thread, it's supposed to be "the ultimate GnR like".

The bolded: That's lame! I like my passive aggressiveness so much better. Also  passive aggressiveness is so much more ultimate GnR-like. :rofl-lol:

• GNFNR 2

5 hours ago, Archtop said:

Out of loyalty to Izzy, or because nobody else could do the vocals? Can Fortus  :ph34r: sing, would Duff be able to carry it off?

Loyalty. The Axl-Izzy relationship is one of those that even through hard times and hate times you still have some respect and loyalty left. And also, even though the casual fans are much more than us, Izzy fans, some backlash and drama could be expected :max:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

"[He brought] the simplicity. If Guns N' Roses were cool, then Izzy was the freon.

"And what I loved about him is that he had an insouciant that had formed the syncopation of his rhythm playing.

"His lyric writing was unimpeachable. And for me, as a rock 'n' roller, he was entirely authentic."

Holy shit, i needed a dictionary just to understand the first paragraph! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2