06/10/17 - Imola, IT - Autodromo Internazionale Enzo E Dino Ferrrari

alfierose

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

Anyone that says that Fortus was "perfect" but that Slash, etc were weak for this show is solely focused on 100% technicality.  That's not what G N' R are about and never have been. 

This band was so loose during the 80's and 90's that they used to joke around about being "sloppy".  It's what makes some of their live shows so great.  Pretty much most of AFD was meant to be played with some deviation, especially the solos....as well as a large part of Illusions.  Of coursem a very good session/technical guitarist like Fortus will play the songs as close to the album versions as possible....because that's what he does and always has done.  As for the rest (Axl included) ....(you know, the guys that actually wrote the songs)....well, you will hear slight variations on many of the songs, in a ton of their shows....that's who G N' R are.

Saying Fortus was perfect and the rest weren't is the equivalent of saying that a cover band sounds better than the real deal.  I guess that's possible if you go to shows to hear exact recreations of the album versions (just go see a cover band, if that's the case)  but most fans I know go to shows to see Guns N' Roses.

I agree 100% with you on the part "This is Gn'R since forever, never 100% technicality". That's why I said that, from a non-technical view, it was fuckin' amazing.
But I do care about these things and I got used to how Ashba/Thal played the songs live (close enough to the albums). Again, this is just me and I'm happy that most of the Gn'R fanbase loves how the shows are :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torb said:

You Could Be Mine, My Michelle, This I Love, Yesterdays, KOHD, the first part of DTJ.
And I left out the songs where he made mistakes.

I heard some of these songs on youtube right now. 

First of all, I love Slash's TIL solo but I was a bit disappointed on this euro leg. That said, IMO his solo in Imola was the best of the euro shows that I heard.

Nothing wrong with YCBM either.

He plays the solo on KOHD differently than on the albums. Not bad, just differently and it depends on whether you like it or not. But you can't say he botched it. Finck botched SCOM, Ashba botched Patience. Slash just changed the way of playing it. He played it in a different way in the 80s, played it in a different way in the 90s and now he plays it this way. 

I have to admit that I he botched Yesterdays.

But c'mon, he's a beast on DTJ! WHAT A MONSTER he is on that song. One of my personal highlights without a doubt.

And I have to disagree with one of your statements above. Slash has improved his playing since 2010 rapidly on a technical level. When he releases new music he plays the solos almost note for note during the first tour. And he seems to be the star on this tour.

• Like 1

If you wanted technically perfect versions of Slash's leads, your time was really 2006 - 2014. Omit Ashba, Bumblefoot would have delivered up for you a plethora of technically correct solos never veering from their original scale, with precise string bends and no undue 'surprises'.

Dull as dishwater mind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I heard some of these songs on youtube right now. 

First of all, I love Slash's TIL solo but I was a bit disappointed on this euro leg. That said, IMO his solo in Imola was the best of the euro shows that I heard.

Nothing wrong with YCBM either.

He plays the solo on KOHD differently than on the albums. Not bad, just differently and it depends on whether you like it or not. But you can't say he botched it. Finck botched SCOM, Ashba botched Patience. Slash just changed the way of playing it. He played it in a different way in the 80s, played it in a different way in the 90s and now he plays it this way. 

I have to admit that I he botched Yesterdays.

But c'mon, he's a beast on DTJ! WHAT A MONSTER he is on that song. One of my personal highlights without a doubt.

And I have to disagree with one of your statements above. Slash has improved his playing since 2010 rapidly on a technical level. When he releases new music he plays the solos almost note for note during the first tour. And he seems to be the star on this tour.

Yeah I named those songs talking about the variations he made. I didn't like those solos at all but, as you said, is a matter of personal tastes. The solos he botched were others.
I didn't like how he started DTJ, then he was amazing. In few words, nothing like the albums.

Technically he may have improved, but with Gn'R he can do A LOT better. He just needs to practice and re-study some songs.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you wanted technically perfect versions of Slash's leads, your time was really 2006 - 2014. Omit Ashba, Bumblefoot would have delivered up for you a plethora of technically correct solos never veering from their original scale, with precise string bends and no undue 'surprises'.

Dull as dishwater mind.

Speaking of Slash, exactly.
I repeat, even Ashba mde mistakes but they were less, especially in the first two years in Gn'R. 

4 minutes ago, Torb said:

Speaking of Slash, exactly.
I repeat, even Ashba mde mistakes but they were less, especially in the first two years in Gn'R. 

Come on, there Is no comparing Ashba to Slash. His solos In Estranged, November Rain and Sweet Child have been pretty much spot on through out the tour, although he did seem to have an off day on certain solos yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Torb said:

Aerosmith are rock n roll also, but Joe Perry does his job fairly better.

Whatever man. I think you misunderstood was this band actually was and is. Even comparing guitar heroes is bullshit. They're all doing their jobs the best way they can. This argument is childish.

Edited by xBrownstonex

Just now, ironmt said:

Come on, there Is no comparing Ashba to Slash. His solos In Estranged, November Rain and Sweet Child have been pretty much spot on through out the tour, although he did seem to have an off day on certain solos yesterday.

No one is comparing the two, just talking about how they played the solos.
You talk about an off day, maybe it's the case!

1 minute ago, xBrownstonex said:

Whatever man. I think you misunderstood was this band actually was and is. Even comparing guitar heroes is bullshit. They're all doing their jobs the best way they can. This argument is childish.

I'm sure he could do better. On some of the most difficult solos he did fine, showed tons of skills. Okay though, let's end it here :)

1 minute ago, Torb said:

No one is comparing the two, just talking about how they played the solos.
You talk about an off day, maybe it's the case!

Yes, one (slash) plays his solos like they're meant to be played. The other assclown (ashba) fucked up slashs solos every night.

2 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Yes, one (slash) plays his solos like they're meant to be played. The other assclown (ashba) fucked up slashs solos every night.

Ashba in the first years was fine, only small mistakes. He went downhill in 2013-14.
And btw, still haven't seen a show of the NITL tour where Slash doesn't screw up things.

Again, you all seem happy with that and I'm happy for you. It was just my personal opinion. End of the story.

Just now, Torb said:

Ashba in the first years was fine, only small mistakes. He went downhill in 2013-14.
And btw, still haven't seen a show of the NITL tour where Slash doesn't screw up things.

Again, you all seem happy with that and I'm happy for you. It was just my personal opinion. End of the story.

What songs In particular do you feel he Is playing poorly on? I think Slash and Duff have been the most consistent.

Just now, ironmt said:

What songs In particular do you feel he Is playing poorly on? I think Slash and Duff have been the most consistent.

I said everything in my review a couple of pages ago. Mistakes aside, I don't like how he improvises on his solos...seems just random noodling

6 minutes ago, Torb said:

I said everything in my review a couple of pages ago. Mistakes aside, I don't like how he improvises on his solos...seems just random noodling

Just checked out your review and made the same comment yesterday regarding the solos In Live and Let Die and Estranged sounding off. This has not been the case throughout the majority of the tour IMO. As far as Chinese material, I'm sure he will continue to alter solos to fit his style just as Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Ashba did with the original Guns material.

• Like 1

I don't get it y'all. Of course Slash do mistakes but that's what make his sounds authentic. That's why he's up there with the greatest guitarists ever lived. Because something in how he plays those guitars that makes you only hear it and be like "that's Slash playing".

• Like 3