GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

10 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

IMG_3347.PNG.4db20d1caae94fcab88f6c08ed5a07c9.PNG

Seems she enjoyed hanging out with Axl back in the day. 

Axl looks just as girly in that picture as the actual girl.

Put some (more) make up on him and he'd probably be prettier than this chick too lol.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

Put some (more) make up on him and he'd probably be prettier than this chick too lol.

And he's wearing long dangly earrings too..I don't recall ever seeing that before..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frey said:

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

And he's wearing long dangly earrings too..I don't recall ever seeing that before..

There we go again with girly Axl. Let me tell you he IS prettier than the pretty girl in the foto. And very attractive. But I guess you would have guessed that :P

45 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, those earrings really add to the girly impression...

Gay moment of the day: Now that I've thought about it, I actually agree, I think he's prettier than her too, with or without additonal make up :scared::awesomeface:

But then again, that chick in the picture just really isn't my type at all lol

He is DEFINITELY way better looking than the girl.

She's just young and all dolled up. But look at her now, lol, nothing in comparison to a... 50 yo Erin, for example :P

Anyway, she says she hung out with him and met him through a friend when GN'R went to Canada to open for The Cult and also says this is from either 1983 or 1984 but GN'R werent together in those years, so the date she's providing doesn't match history :suspicious:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

He is DEFINITELY way better looking than the girl.

She's just young and all dolled up. But look at her now, lol, nothing in comparison to a... 50 yo Erin, for example :P

Anyway, she says she hung out with him and met him through a friend when GN'R went to Canada to open for The Cult and also says this is from either 1983 or 1984 but GN'R werent together in those years, so the date she's providing doesn't match history :suspicious:

Well she spells them guns and roses, so she might not have been a huge fan of the band, maybe didn't even know who they were, in which case her mix up of dates is understandable..also fits in with the met them through a friend.

Hmm, looking more closely, that earring looks like a dreamcatcher..and she has Bear in her name..she probably gave that to him as a gift. Aww, and he wears it, how sweet!

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Well she spells them guns and roses, so she might not have been a huge fan of the band, maybe didn't even know who they were, in which case her mix up of dates is understandable..also fits in with the met them through a friend.

Hmm, looking more closely, that earring looks like a dreamcatcher..and she has Bear in her name..she probably gave that to him as a gift. Aww, and he wears it, how sweet!

Yeah, it rings a bell that she doesn't know jack shit and probably just did Axl like so many others :shrugs:

lol I dont know about that dreamcatcher thing. You are reading too much into it :P

12 hours ago, solstar said:

Who is this person? Did Axl date her or what?  :question:

The picture seems to date back to Erin's times. :smiley-confused2:

I feel scarily stalkerish :ph34r:, but anyway - I looked at her profile and she has a a pic of the ticket she had to The Cult and GnR in August 1987 in Canada. 

Which reminded me of these..

IMG_3363.JPG.b0975a5851f426926d796f57180d7bf3.JPG

His messages to Erin from Canada 1987, him trying to call her all of the time. 

The lady on Instagram seems to be some minor Canadian actress and model, she talks a lot about going on the Ellen show and being a friend of hers. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I feel scarily stalkerish :ph34r:, but anyway - I looked at her profile and she has a a pic of the ticket she had to The Cult and GnR in August 1987 in Canada. 

The lady on Instagram seems to be some minor Canadian actress and model, she talks a lot about going on the Ellen show and being a friend of hers. 

Woah! Seems more like she also stayed in some hotel and he was never there (because that doll from the foto above?) and tried to call her.... ? Good for her that she wasn't. I wonder why she kept those notes?

Axl, the boyfriend from hell. :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 4:02 PM, Blackstar said:

Not some crucial information or anything, just found this 2012 interview of Ian Astbury (of the Cult) where he talks about their tour with GnR in 1987-88 and confirms what @stella had assumed in the old thread (btw I hope she's okay and will join us again) about how Axl started wearing bandanas.

You rang? :) I had some fairly heavy stuff happening offline and I was getting frustrated with a lot of stuff happening across the forum, so I thought it best to take a break. Hello again. :)

• Like 2

On 3/14/2017 at 1:29 AM, Tori72 said:

OMG so funny! Thank you gals! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :hug: I also downloaded that hideous foto and I will make use of it! :devilshades:

Intersting new posts, too. Thanks everyone!

I tend to think so, even though I can only suspect as I am a woman. Regarding the macho point of view, a man who dares to broaden the horizon of gender is a threat to their very one sided view of masulinity. As everything else is regarded as feminine, gay and therefore not masculine (which is of course bullshit, there are a lot masculine and macho gays out there), it threatens their whole little concept of masculinity.

It also goes the other way round. When macho and men is  strong, cool, the norm and standard, everything feminine is the other, the weak, the ridiculous the not to be taken seriously. (Sorry to dive into feminist and gender ideas, I'll stop in a second). So if a man slightly reminds you of feminine beauty or gestures or whatever, he becomes in the eye of your average man weaker, ridiculous, etc.

But, I have to say I don't think Axl and GnR were regarded as  effeminate back in the day. Maybe in the inner circles of biker gangs and heavy metal dudes, but not in general. You also have to remind yourself what was going on in the 80ies. @beautifulanddamnedsaid it: Men were wearing make-up, teased up hair. New wave, new romance was going on. And hair and glam metal used this look on their own terms.

This is a really interesting discussion going on.

80s child, 90s teen here. Growing up, I do recall that the male celebrities that were subjected to derisive comments about their appearance were those who had some sort of feminine aspect: Boy George, Poison, Michael Jackson. With MJ the real criticism didn't seem to start happening until his appearance started changing to be more feminine with all of his plastic surgery - I was a little kid when Thriller came out and I don't recall anything being said in a derisive way about his looks, but when I was a teenager in the 90s he was regarded as a freak. And Boy George, well, the makeup, sexuality, etc. just made people freak out.

I agree that I don't think GnR were really seen as effeminate back in the day. Axl may have been seen as slightly androgynous by some, but the only band I remember reading derisive comments about in that regard were Poison, and that was because of the heavy makeup they wore, which was beyond what a lot of the other hair metal bands did. I remember reading nasty comments in metal magazines about Poison's makeup.

Older male celebrities vs. female ones seem to have more leeway...I read plenty of comments about Madonna's looks - IMHO she looks amazing - but you don't see the same nastiness directed toward, say, Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler or other men in their 50s, 60s or 70s. Men are allowed to age more gracefully in general...there are plenty of older men used on billboards and such that are considered sexy or dignified, but you don't see older women portrayed the same way. Men in the corporate world often have gray hair, but women in the same companies often feel pressured to dye their hair and look as young as possible for as long as possible.

So it unfortunately fits the pattern that men who are considered in any way 'feminine' also have the hammer dropped on them as they age. Every damn member of GnR looks different than they did during AfD, and yet Axl's the one that gets criticized. It wouldn't matter what he looked like; he'd still get shit about it. Even when Axl was arguably in the best shape of his post-Illusions career, in 2006, there were still people who had something to say.

Edited by stella
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

"Minor" Canadian actress? How dare you! :max:

Actually, never heard of her. 

Ok so these messages are interesting. She never seems to be there when he calls! Where are cell phones when you need them.

And is this part of the stash that was auctioned off? Who would think to keep hotel phone messages? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stella said:

Even when Axl was arguably in the best shape of his post-Illusions career, in 2006, there were still people who had something to say.

If I recall correctly people were calling him fat even back then, just because he was not as skinny as he used to be..but fat? hell no. Also many people said the same in 2002 -2003. Looking at the photos and videos from that era he seemed pretty skinny to me judging by his face and neck, but as he wore baggy clothes it probably gave many people the impression that he is fat. Or that is what I assume was the reason for the comments. Or maybe my eyes are playing tricks with me that I didn't and still don't see what the others did? :shrugs: The dude just cannot win.

And of course he is prettier than that girl! :awesomeface:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Great job, girl!!! :thumbsup:

I think the people who decides shit in this thread should give you some position and badge. @Andy14? @dgnr:ph34r:

LOL Axl obsessing about Erin, as usual, while he was probably cheating on her, as usual too :lol:

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Woah! Seems more like she also stayed in some hotel and he was never there (because that doll from the foto above?) and tried to call her.... ? Good for her that she wasn't. I wonder why she kept those notes?

Axl, the boyfriend from hell. :rofl-lol:

55 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

And is this part of the stash that was auctioned off? Who would think to keep hotel phone messages? 

Certainly, he was from hell and heaven combined :lol:

I keep a lot of that stuff too.... Hotel things and plane, I don't know why but I have a box full of "memories from my trips", specially my romantic trips, I've kept even bills from restaurants, bus tickets, museum tickets... Love that stuff.... So I don't find it odd.

Plus she was a young girl... You do keep all things your boyfriend gives you or reminds you of him when you a re so in love.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Great job, girl!!! :thumbsup:

I think the people who decides shit in this thread should give you some position and badge. @Andy14? @dgnr:ph34r:

Oh yeah. A Stalker badge! :ph34r:

LOL Axl obsessing about Erin, as usual, while he was probably cheating on her, as usual too :lol:

This. :facepalm:

I keep a lot of that stuff too.... Hotel things and plane, I don't know why but I have a box full of "memories from my trips", specially my romantic trips, I've kept even bills from restaurants, bus tickets, museum tickets... Love that stuff.... So I don't find it odd.

Plus she was a young girl... You do keep all things your boyfriend gives you or reminds you of him when you a re so in love.

Oh yeah, did that too. But I didn't keep it over decades. ;)

Now I'm old enough to be 20-yo Erin's mom and wanna make her tell him off and dump him. I'm weird like that. :shrugs: "Lion Mama" is what it's called in my language... 

10 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Oh yeah, did that too. But I didn't keep it over decades. ;)

I'm going that way of keeping stuff over decades... :ph34r:

I think she always knew the value of all this.... I know it... I will probably sell my GNR stuff in the future. It is not trash material -_-

So Axl doesn't/didn't look the part of the macho guy, but I think he acted like it. And I think he had a lot of internalized misogyny/etc within him even though he was playing piano and the "sissy" songs as male fans deemed them, echoing another comment in the post. It's tough to get out of internalized misogyny/homophobia, etc, but it's possible. But that feels like another can of worms to deal with. That's my two cents, and I think Axl was maybe fine with showing his heart on his sleeve through those songs? That's how I see it. I mean, he's so sensitive, he's said the band didn't think he could write, Stephanie thought he couldn't, either. But I'm rehashing the past, here.

I wish Axl was as happy as he looked; maybe he is, we don't know. 

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

@dgnr so...we decide shit in this thread? :ph34r: We have to make use of it :devilshades: 

Anyway, @MillionsOfSpiders here you are

membership3_zpsx8rnovh8.jpg

A.S.S. stands for Axl n' Slash's Secrets.....or maybe Axl's Sexy Serpentine :smiley-confused2:(Axl's Stinky Shoes)

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Do we? I'm as surprised as you! Thank you, @killuridols, I guess :ph34r: Let's do it  :devilshades:

@MillionsOfSpiders , girl, you have to wear this badge in your London show!! Backstage pass guaranteed for you (Andrei approves) :smiley-confused2:

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Well... :ph34r:... as far as I remember, it was the both of you, or one of you, or I don't know who of you, made @Frey chairman of ASS and recently made me vice-chairwoman of something else, soooo..... I figured out you are the ones who decide stuff like that. :shrugs:

Great badge! btw

and *DAT PROFILE PIC*, huh... I wonder who's the artist in charge :devilshades:

• Like 3