Melissa Reese On Playing In GN'R: 'F**cking Dream Job, It's Awesome'

9 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You may have seen 'a band' at Dodger Stadium, but it sure wasn't GNR...

... and I don't NEED to go looking for a reason to bash this 'band', Axl has been providing me with a steady supply of reasons to bash him since '96 ...

:facepalm:

Good to see you back, I hope your touring with Sixx Am went well. 

I don't think anyone really hates Melissa. Any of us would have taken the job too! I do hate the way she talks. Just because you look 12 doesn't mean you have to act 12! Especially when you are in a band with 50+ year olds! :facepalm: 

I would love to see Izzy on this tour but I don't get people wanting an AFD5 show. That would mean no November Rain and no Estranged!!

5 minutes ago, delilahrose said:

I don't think anyone really hates Melissa. Any of us would have taken the job too! I do hate the way she talks. Just because you look 12 doesn't mean you have to act 12! Especially when you are in a band with 50+ year olds! :facepalm: 

I would love to see Izzy on this tour but I don't get people wanting an AFD5 show. That would mean no November Rain and no Estranged!!

They could have two drummers. Steven for the AfD/Lies songs and Frank for the UYI/CD songs and covers (KOHD, LALD, The Seeker).

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, delilahrose said:

Adler wrote a lot of the drum parts for UYI -- maybe over 1/2 the songs for those albums. From my understanding, Sorum mainly stepped in to record that stuff and add the finishing touches. 

Most of UYI was written during the AFD years -- hence the UYI demos floating around the net with Adler.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, delilahrose said:

AFD 5 with Dizzy will have November Rain and Estranged. 

As Ronin mentioned, most of these songs were already composed and recorded before Adler was gone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, delilahrose said:

That would mean no November Rain and no Estranged!!

No it wouldn't... There are like 2 people that say no Dizzy but most want or would accept him. Frank and Fortus weren't around when they recorded those songs... Izzy was on both.. Steven knows them and probably demoed them. Slash plays CD songs.. I am pretty sure they could and would play more than just Appetite and LIES. 

18 hours ago, Słash said:

18 hours ago, Słash said:

Good to see you back, I hope your touring with Sixx Am went well.

Shouldn't you be teaching Frank how to play the songs correctly ? You have a show tomorrow.
By the way, you've never thanked me for leaving the circus so you could have your job back !

Edited by Nikki_Sixx

21 hours ago, WhazUp said:

20 hours ago, WhazUp said:

...nah it was GNR I saw lol. No need to be a negative nancy all the time

Here's something you don't seem to understand :
Do you think I LIKE being a negative nancy all the time when it comes to my favourite band ?  The band I grew up with ?
Don't you think I'd rather be ecstatic about this whole 'reunion' ?
After 20 years of embarrassment, you'd hope they'd do the right thing and restore the GNR legacy.
Instead we get this...
So go ahead, call me Nancy.  At least people don't call me Mickey.

Edited by Nikki_Sixx

I am all for her inclusion in the band. GnR have a long history of women on stage anyway, musicians or otherwise (for example think of the Illusions era backing singers Tracy and Roberta, plus the horns section Lisa Anne etc, or even the strippers that were all over the stage back in the Sunset Strip days!)

Granted she is not a 'core' member by any means but she certainly provides important functions. Actually my theory is that one reason Axl is keen for her inclusion is that her harmonies on the opening of Paradise City serve to mask the fact that at that point in the concert his tired voice is severely at risk of sounding totally shit on the iconic intro choruses of what is one of the most focused on songs, likely to be televised etc.. seriously, listen to how it sounds on this tour with her supporting him and then imagine how it would be without her - much weaker. Hence her inclusion is vital for this reason alone. Happy Birthday Melissa! 

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 1

I believe one of the reasons Pitman was fired is because they wanted a hybrid version of a second keyboardist and Tracy/Roberta. Melissa was perfect for that role/position.

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I believe one of the reasons Pitman was fired is because they wanted a hybrid version of a second keyboardist and Tracy/Roberta. Melissa was perfect for that role/position.

Another reason might be that he is a pretentious, disgusting schmuck.

• Like 2

I really like Melissas backing vocals but I think that that Alessandro Cortini (Nine Inch Nails) would have been a better replacement for Pitman.

CYJ5E4dUoAAsn73.jpg

Edited by Sosso

She's paid thousands to dance once or twice a week and fiddle about with her keyboard occasionally. Sounds like a pretty good gig. 

Does any of the criticism and mockery of Axl's love for bloating his band ever get through to him? It's like he missed the memo completely.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2017 at 4:16 PM, RONIN said:

Adler wrote a lot of the drum parts for UYI -- maybe over 1/2 the songs for those albums. From my understanding, Sorum mainly stepped in to record that stuff and add the finishing touches. 

Most of UYI was written during the AFD years -- hence the UYI demos floating around the net with Adler.

Matt didn't play Stevens drum parts on the illusions. Compare the demos we have with Steven to matts playing on the album. Matt played his own parts or bits duff came up with (YCBM intro), Steven has credits for one song because it's the only song he had anything to do with on the final version of the album.

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

She's paid thousands to dance once or twice a week and fiddle about with her keyboard occasionally. Sounds like a pretty good gig. 

Does any of the criticism and mockery of Axl's love for bloating his band ever get through to him? It's like he missed the memo completely.

No. He doesn't take memos from fans on how to run HIS band because It isn't any of their business who he hires for his band, they are not part of the equation. It would be like consulting a tortoise on how to run your car shop. What has one thing got to do with the other?

12 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Matt didn't play Stevens drum parts on the illusions. Compare the demos we have with Steven to matts playing on the album. Matt played his own parts or bits duff came up with (YCBM intro), Steven has credits for one song because it's the only song he had anything to do with on the final version of the album.

Is that actually a fact? Did Matt even have time to write everything from scratch? I figured they just kept the stuff from Steven that worked and then Matt/Duff added to it. Sort of like what they did with Brain replacing Josh Freese's stuff on Chinese Democracy and then adding his own touch to it.

12 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

No. He doesn't take memos from fans on how to run HIS band because It isn't any of their business who he hires for his band, they are not part of the equation. It would be like consulting a tortoise on how to run your car shop. What has one thing got to do with the other?

I'm not talking about the fans, I'm talking about the press and his peers who he obviously cares a lot about. When Kurt Cobain, Mike Patton, Trent Reznor, Hetfield etc were mocking the circus he had onstage -- the guy ranted nearly every night during the UYI tour, and yet...he missed the point entirely. He never really bothers to address their criticism that he turned a lean band into a vegas act. It's like he's tone deaf to the criticism since he bloated the band even more for Chinese Democracy. Or to put it another way, he's butthurt about his peers laughing at him but he tries to get his cred back by doubling down on what makes him the source of mockery? :blink:

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

I really like Melissas backing vocals but I think that that Alessandro Cortini (Nine Inch Nails) would have been a better replacement for Pitman.

CYJ5E4dUoAAsn73.jpg

This dude were good, but i'm afraid he's too high profile for such minuscule role on the band, especially for the band that isn't geared towards industrial like NIN.

I think she brings nothing really appealing to the band. I like her a bit because obviously she's cute and she knew Buckethead for a while, but other than that bring back the mothergoose. What happened with that band they used to be drunk all the time.

1 hour ago, xBrownstonex said:

Why would you want an arrogant and pathetic fuck in guns n roses?

I liked Pitman, I think he's talented, and I liked what he did to the material, kinda cool and interesting. And obviously I'm definitely into the sound of Chinese Democracy. I think it's the shame Axl never had to release his 2014 stuff he was working on with him.

I'm not sure why would you call him arrogant and pathetic fuck though, is it because he claimed the reunion was boring because it was a money grab that they just want to repeat the oldies over and over? I mean he has a point.

Of course the role of the synth player has been diminished again now with the actual lineup, so we don't have to hear Melissa much. I think she is terribly misplaced in this band, that her sound is brighter, but quite weak and sterile, no much warmth, but she's a better pianist and vocalist, definitely suspicious if she could write rocknroll songs. It doesn't matter since there is no follow up album.