Rate: Axl's voice on AFD/LIES vs UYI/Spaghetti

Axl's vocals (multiple choice)  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overall he was great on all albums til '93.

For the Illusions he used another voice. I love Locomotive but his voice is annoying to me on that song for example.

To me his best voice was between 86 and 88. Even though it was different every year I really love it.

Reckless Life/Shadow Of Your Love,

Nightrain/Easy/SCOM,

OIAM/You're Crazy.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Overall he was great on all albums til '93.

For the Illusions he used another voice. I love Locomotive but his voice is annoying to me on that song for example.

To me his best voice was between 86 and 88. Even though it was different every year I really love it.

Reckless Life/Shadow Of Your Love,

Nightrain/Easy/SCOM,

OIAM/You're Crazy.

Great post. Yeah - Locomotive is another one where I wasn't into his vocals as much (as impressive of a vocal performance as it was). I may get stoned for this, but his voice on Estranged gets annoying for me sometimes. 

Nightrain = perfection. The demo version he did of that song was epic. 

I sometimes wonder if the fans of Appetite got a shock listening to UYI and hearing all these different voices of Axl. :lol:

• Like 2

I've pretty much loved all his vocal performances. SFTD is when you can start to hear his vocals transitioning definitely, it's a very weird hybrid of his CD vocals and UYI vocals haha. I don't think he changed his vocal style on CD due to lack of ability, he still does plenty of rasp on CD, I just think he wanted to do something different. 

I chose the last one of UYI because it's closest to my answer.

I think he sounds great on all the albums but UYI and TSI are my favorite vocally for him. 

To me those 3 show more of the depth of his vocals than say AFD. 

There are certain songs I listen to on those albums and I'm always wowed.

• Like 1

i like his '86 and 87 voice because he wanted to prove something. Hard to explain.. There were hungry ... 5 people on the right time, right place. That's why the AfD Era wins evrything

The '93 voice was more professional. Like it too

On 7/4/2017 at 11:21 PM, coolranchdressing! said:

His voice...what a talent. For me ain't it fun at the end of the song does it...wowzers. 

His voice is like another instrument in the band. Some of his vocals are insane when you break it down. People give him shit these days for being 50 something and sounding this way or that way live. Fuck that. He's not some ho-hum singer, he has done some seriously sick vocals. The different sounds, the high's, the low's, the rasp. Go listen to even the biggest of the big rock singers on their albums, yeah they might be belting out pretty good and hitting some good notes, but they aren't going the places he went with his vocals.

Even on TSI, Aint it Fun, I Don't Care About You, SIDHY, his voice is something else.