New York post article about guns

8 minutes ago, Frey said:

"Lack of parental supervision" or whatever @Lumikki called it definitely played a role in his case, and yes, for him it might have been a gross but quick way of making money/getting stuff he wanted. Which fits a pattern with Slash, since he also was very fond of simply stealing everything he wanted.

Exactly.

All this group of youngsters (including the likes of Del, West Arkeen and other people from their inner circle) did not have any parental guidance or direction on what was the right or wrong thing to do. They moved to L.A. pursuing a dream or maybe just to get out of their broken homes. A lot of kids do this.

Slash parents were not doing so great. They got divorced and they started having new partners by the time Slash was hitting puberty. So the family disbanded as well. Surely they loved him and probably gave him a lot of freedom. Thats what people do when they feel guilty about their parenting. Im sure they knew they were affecting their kids.

20 minutes ago, Frey said:

What does it matter if Axl's parents tried to talk him into coming back to go to college, if doing that would have meant for him to return to the very thing he ran away from in the first place? They'd still have been the same people, it'd still have been the same town, the entire situation would still have been as unhealthy and unbearable as before. So no, not really an option. The same goes for Steven. As we've recently seen, Mrs. Adler is still crazy and always will be and the entire situation was apparently much worse back then with the shady step father still in the picture and everything else.

Axl's parents were the worst! (well his stepfather was the evil one; I believe his mom was just a victim of this patriarchal jerk)

Children do not leave like that if they have a good family, a loving family who truly supports them.

But I also want to highlight this: with the exception of Izzy, the rest of the band were all school dropouts. I don't know what the situation was like in the 80s in Los Angeles (probably way better than in the 3rd world countries) but I wonder if it was possible for school drop-outs like them to score a good job? What kind of expectations can someone in this situation have regarding their future?

Add the drugs and you have the perfect recipe for a loser in the making. A person that, if not saved quickly, will probably become a burden for society, a delinquent, a criminal, and their life expectation will probably drop 20 years or so.

• Like 2

But the millions of other young people are often in much worse situations - runaways from home, under age, hiding from their parents, from totally pathological and disfunctional families. Axl in LA was a well grown up man, quite intelligent, healthy and fit for work, also pathological and abusive as his family was, they certainly weren't the case of drunks, addicts and thieves who teach their children no values whatsoever, his strict upbringing has certainly given him the ability to tell right from wrong, even if he opppsed some of those and created his own values. That's still a big difference to coming from home of completely degenerated people who drink, steal and sell their children for money. Also we don't have any reason to believe he did such things. Personally I don't think so. I believe his strict upbringing and generally the mid west frame of mind he grew up in stopped him from that. Steven probably did it but he was an addict and I agree his low intelligence level had something to do with it. But then again it was a choice, he did that to get to a club he wanted go to from what I remember not because he hasn't eaten for a week. And Slash, well, we agreed it was of choice and convenience if he did it at all. So all in all I would be far from claiming that a horrible situation or desperation or trauma pushed them in that direction. Rather a " fuck all morals" attitude and a very decadent lifestyle and the drugs.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

This must be one of the biggest lies that circulate over the Internet: "Axl almost got raped in Rio in Rio II"

Bullshit. That guy did not, EVER, climb onstage "naked and ready to rape Axl" :facepalm:.

He was grabbed by his shorts by the security guards and they pulled them down, I believe this was unintentional, because they wanted to stop him fast before he could get to Axl.

The video is clear but people want to believe things that fit their ideologies and phobias.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

14 hours ago, killuridols said:

Exactly.

All this group of youngsters (including the likes of Del, West Arkeen and other people from their inner circle) did not have any parental guidance or direction on what was the right or wrong thing to do. They moved to L.A. pursuing a dream or maybe just to get out of their broken homes. A lot of kids do this.

Slash parents were not doing so great. They got divorced and they started having new partners by the time Slash was hitting puberty. So the family disbanded as well. Surely they loved him and probably gave him a lot of freedom. Thats what people do when they feel guilty about their parenting. Im sure they knew they were affecting their kids.

Agreed. It was an entire bunch of pretty "lost" youngsters in their circle.

And yeah, Slash's family could be seen as dysfunctional too and iirc, he even says himself that his parents divorce had a huge negative impact on him and started him off on the path he took. I guess I was just saying that Slash (and Duff and Izzy) all had at least one loving, supportive parent (or other family members) they were close to (and continue to be close to) and there was no apparent abuse or out of the ordinary fucked-upnes going on. Obviously they still all had their issues and things they were struggling with or running away from, but Axl's and Steven's situations were on another level entirely from what we know.

14 hours ago, killuridols said:

Axl's parents were the worst! (well his stepfather was the evil one; I believe his mom was just a victim of this patriarchal jerk)

Children do not leave like that if they have a good family, a loving family who truly supports them.

But I also want to highlight this: with the exception of Izzy, the rest of the band were all school dropouts. I don't know what the situation was like in the 80s in Los Angeles (probably way better than in the 3rd world countries) but I wonder if it was possible for school drop-outs like them to score a good job? What kind of expectations can someone in this situation have regarding their future?

Add the drugs and you have the perfect recipe for a loser in the making. A person that, if not saved quickly, will probably become a burden for society, a delinquent, a criminal, and their life expectation will probably drop 20 years or so.

Agree about his parents.

But even worse, they were high school drop outs with extra-ordinarily expensive needs, wishes and habits lol. And big dreams.

Musical instruments and equipment, drugs, etc. don't come cheap and gotta be financed somehow.

14 hours ago, Asia said:

But the millions of other young people are often in much worse situations - runaways from home, under age, hiding from their parents, from totally pathological and disfunctional families. Axl in LA was a well grown up man, quite intelligent, healthy and fit for work, also pathological and abusive as his family was, they certainly weren't the case of drunks, addicts and thieves who teach their children no values whatsoever, his strict upbringing has certainly given him the ability to tell right from wrong, even if he opppsed some of those and created his own values. That's still a big difference to coming from home of completely degenerated people who drink, steal and sell their children for money. Also we don't have any reason to believe he did such things. Personally I don't think so. I believe his strict upbringing and generally the mid west frame of mind he grew up in stopped him from that. Steven probably did it but he was an addict and I agree his low intelligence level had something to do with it. But then again it was a choice, he did that to get to a club he wanted go to from what I remember not because he hasn't eaten for a week. And Slash, well, we agreed it was of choice and convenience if he did it at all. So all in all I would be far from claiming that a horrible situation or desperation or trauma pushed them in that direction. Rather a " fuck all morals" attitude and a very decadent lifestyle and the drugs.

Suffering is not a competition though and all people are different in the way they react to their life circumstance and situations. Some people end up on the streets and addicted to drugs and doing god knows what for comparatively "minor" reasons, while others were born into incredibly screwed up situations and still somehow manage to come out on top. I've seen it all basically in my former job and I see no real difference between Axl and Steven and the young people I had to deal with back then. Steven and Slash were teenagers when these things supposedly took place (they both describe having sexual relations with adults from a very young age and iirc Steven once talked about realizing only much later that these people he slept with as a kid for drugs or money were sexually abusing him), Axl would have been between 17 and around 23 years (I think he was 17 when the questionable hotel room incident @killuridols mentioned earlier happened and he would have been in his early 20s when he allegedly sold himself to other guys for money in L.A. - if true, I assume he definitely stopped doing that by the time GNR started to take off). So to me, they definitely were kids or "youngsters" as @killuridols called them. The older I get, the more I view anyone under 25 as a kid.

I also don't see how Axl doesn't qualify as a runaway, he's the definition of one. He ran away for the first time while still underage and kept tramping around until he ended up in a far-away city for good. Where he by his own account slept on the streets, other people's couches and dirty storage spaces. Pretty typical in my experience. And about his upbringing, I'd argue the opposite about his morals or sense of right or wrong - it would be completely screwed up by the particular upbringing he received. All that preaching about sin and fire and brimstone, simultanously paired with secrecy, violence and sexual abuse by your parents (or other authority figures) is never a good basis for raising well-adjusted adults with a strong set of morals or values.

My opinion on whether I believe Axl did these things or not depends on the credibility of a dead guy who appears to have hated Axl and on whoever the other person @killuridols mentioned is who supposedly claimed the same thing. Until I know more about this, I am undecided. But I think the WT would be a better place to discuss this than up here in D&N.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 2:06 AM, killuridols said:

But it is also common for patriarchal men to accuse each other of being gay or prostitute, as in a competition to see who's more or less macho, and Axl as the pretty boy he was back then, I'm sure plenty of homophobic men assumed he was doing those things (because of his looks and image) even if he wasn't.

Thanks for the sociology lesson!!!!!!!

does anyone have any links to back anything up on this post?!?!?!

clearly a rape rant doesnt mean these guys did any type of guy stuff for money or whatever...

so please, before we go any further lets see some facts!!!!!

1 hour ago, Frey said:

But I think the WT would be a better place to discuss this than up here in D&N.

Probably. Still, however, I dare to disagree with the lately so popular and fashionable opinion that whenever anyone did anything that is against the common values or way of conduct it MUST HAVE BEEN DUE TO UBELIEVABLE TRAUMA AND DESPERATION. Not true. People do things for different reasons - it may be rebellion, it may be because they have a completely different set of values, it may be convenience, it maybe because to some people certain things are incredibly appaling while to others they are not. Those guys lived where they lived and in particular times under influence of people whose moral standards were very questionable and they obviously considered these things ok, if they did them. Again, they didn't have to (unless they were raped).  They could just refrain from entering the club (Steven) or from whatever they needed in case of the others.  They were adult and could legally work, which is what I meant when emphasizing the younger age of other runaways (a 13-yeear old runaway will not get a legal job to support themselves and it is a huge difference in their situation, if they want money for food, they have to beg or sell themselves, otherwise they'll be caught and sent back home or placed in an institution). To say that if they ever sold their bodies is certainly because they were desperate, lonely and unhappy and their parents raped and neglected them is just too much of a simplification, a very romntic and equally ungrounded view of things.

1 hour ago, Frey said:

But even worse, they were high school drop outs with extra-ordinarily expensive needs, wishes and habits lol. And big dreams.

Musical instruments and equipment, drugs, etc. don't come cheap and gotta be financed somehow.

Lol. Yes. The grandiose dreams of Axl.

In that video they posted the other day, Del said that Axl and Duff were really determined to make it in music. It was not a hobby for them. It was serious, a big deal for them. So yeah, it was an expensive wish... My perception of Axl is that he didn't want to commit to any job that was not music. I oftenly call him lazy, because he didn't have a lot of jobs, like the other guys, he mostly lived off other people (friends, girlfriends, men?). Except for the Tower Video one, I don't know of any other job he has had....

1 hour ago, Frey said:

He would have been in his early 20s when he allegedly sold himself to other guys for money in L.A. - if true, I assume he definitely stopped doing that by the time GNR started to take off).

I think it could be around the time he met Erin. He moved in with her and lived off her basically, until GN'R started making some money.

1 hour ago, Frey said:

My opinion on whether I believe Axl did these things or not depends on the credibility of a dead guy who appears to have hated Axl and on whoever the other person @killuridols mentioned is who supposedly claimed the same thing. Until I know more about this, I am undecided

My source is dead as well but probably knew Axl better than the other dead guy.

I can't say much about their credibility because I also feel they both had personal issues with Axl, so I'm not sure if what they say is legit or comes from a place of jealousy and competition.

What I would take into consideration though is that the rock scene in Hollywood was not so big and probably all these guys had cross paths with one another before they made it big. I mean, in such a small circle of bands and musicians, it was probably pretty easy to know what the other people did and what not. Like a small village of gossipers.

16 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

does anyone have any links to back anything up on this post?!?!?!

clearly a rape rant doesnt mean these guys did any type of guy stuff for money or whatever...

so please, before we go any further lets see some facts!!!!!

Steven: You only need to read his book or some of his interviews. He's talked about this more than once. Or watch that horrible movie he appeared in on Youtube.

Slash: Multiple people in this thread have said they remember reading about Slash doing this kind of thing too. Or Steven claiming Slash did that at least. But since the interview(s) in question is apparently gone now, I'm afraid other people's memories is all you're gonna get in this case.

Axl: There used to be a guy with a chip on his shoulder who was in a band with Axl or lived with Axl for a while who made these claims about thim. Guess I'll consult Google when I get home....

10 minutes ago, Asia said:

Probably. Still, however, I dare to disagree with the lately so popular and fashionable opinion that whenever anyone did anything that is against the common values or way of conduct it MUST HAVE BEEN DUE TO UBELIEVABLE TRAUMA AND DESPERATION. Not true. People do things for different reasons - it may be rebellion, it may be because they have a completely different set of values, it may be convenience, it maybe because to some people certain things are incredibly appaling while to others they are not. Those guys lived where they lived and in particular times under influence of people whose moral standards were very questionable and they obviously considered these things ok, if they did them. Again, they didn't have to (unless they were raped).  They could just refrain from entering the club (Steven) or from whatever they needed in case of the others.  They were adult and could legally work, which is what I meant when emphasizing the younger age of other runaways (a 13-yeear old runaway will not get a legal job to support themselves and it is a huge difference in their situation, if they want money for food, they have to beg or sell themselves, otherwise they'll be caught and sent back home or placed in an institution). To say that if they ever sold their bodies is certainly because they were desperate, lonely and unhappy and their parents raped and neglected them is just too much of a simplification, a very romntic and equally ungrounded view of things.

Yeah, but what are the underlying reasons that cause people to make their "choices of convenience/rebellion/etc"? Ultimately, we are all shaped and influenced by our past and experiences, both consciously and unconsciously, and the decisions we make are the result of that. I just don't think it's realistic that things can be so clearly separated into "I did this because I wanted to be rebellious" and "I did this because I have the most traumatic past evaaah!". It hasn't got anything to do with fashionable opinions for me, especially because I don't judge anyone for this particular kind of thing anyway, even if their stated reason is "I don't care what other people think, I just needed some quick money". I don't feel I need to make excuses for anyone, because to me this is no horrible crime or despicable act that needs excusing.

But in my experience with kids or young adults in situations like this, there was always something going on underneath the surface, even if it's not apparent at first glance and may just seem like a casual disregard for common values or rebellion. Or like a non-issue to an adult that seemed huge from a younger person's perspective. Kids from families which really are loving and healthy, and who have no other issues such as mental illness or whatever usually don't end up in situations like this. In fact, they don't end up on the streets at all.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Lol. Yes. The grandiose dreams of Axl.

In that video they posted the other day, Del said that Axl and Duff were really determined to make it in music. It was not a hobby for them. It was serious, a big deal for them. So yeah, it was an expensive wish... My perception of Axl is that he didn't want to commit to any job that was not music. I oftenly call him lazy, because he didn't have a lot of jobs, like the other guys, he mostly lived off other people (friends, girlfriends, men?). Except for the Tower Video one, I don't know of any other job he has had....

Which video? The one where Del also talked about his tax issues? But yeah, I'm not surprised to hear that. For Axl, it was this or nothing else and his best way of fulfilling all his dreams, and Duff... I guess he was always rather ambitious underneath the punk exterior. Honors student in high school, always had a job, wanted to go back to school even during the UYI tour, and his life and development post-Guns makes a lot of sense and is not surprising at all when viewed from that angle.

As for Axl, apart from the Tower video job, he also apparently worked at a grocery store in Lafayette, and some odd stuff here and there like being a test subject for UCLA medical center lol.

42 minutes ago, killuridols said:
2 hours ago, Frey said:

He would have been in his early 20s when he allegedly sold himself to other guys for money in L.A. - if true, I assume he definitely stopped doing that by the time GNR started to take off).

I think it could be around the time he met Erin. He moved in with her and lived off her basically, until GN'R started making some money.

Makes sense, yeah. He met Erin when? 1985 or something, right? If so, my estimate about Axl being younger than 23 or 24 when he allegedly did this kind of stuff was spot on :P

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

My source is dead as well but probably knew Axl better than the other dead guy.

I can't say much about their credibility because I also feel they both had personal issues with Axl, so I'm not sure if what they say is legit or comes from a place of jealousy and competition.

What I would take into consideration though is that the rock scene in Hollywood was not so big and probably all these guys had cross paths with one another before they made it big. I mean, in such a small circle of bands and musicians, it was probably pretty easy to know what the other people did and what not. Like a small village of gossipers.

Great, a bunch of dead guys saying the same thing :lol:

Guess Axl is really lucky that everyone who could shed some light on this issue is either dead or will never speak about it (if this is the kind of thing Duff meant in his book that he wouldn't even tell his wife or children about).

Last point is a good one though, yeah.

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Axl: There used to be a guy with a chip on his shoulder who was in a band with Axl or lived with Axl for a while who made these claims about thim. Guess I'll consult Google when I get home..

Oh please don't post the sayings of dead guy #1 because they are too spiteful and too gross :unsure:

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Which video? The one where Del also talked about his tax issues? But yeah, I'm not surprised to hear that.

Yes, that video.

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Makes sense, yeah. He met Erin when? 1985 or something, right? If so, my estimate about Axl being younger than 23 or 24 when he allegedly did this kind of stuff was spot on :P

Yes, you were right.

I don't know when it started and when it ended but if we put together the information provided by both dead guys, the years coincide with pre-Guns era and Axl being 20, 21 years old at the moment these events allegedly took place.

3 hours ago, Frey said:

Great, a bunch of dead guys saying the same thing :lol:

Guess Axl is really lucky that everyone who could shed some light on this issue is either dead or will never speak about it (if this is the kind of thing Duff meant in his book that he wouldn't even tell his wife or children about).

Last point is a good one though, yeah.

Lol, it is scary, most guys who have badmouthed Axl or talked some shit have passed away :scared:

He must have cursed them day and night :ph34r:

15 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yes, lol at you believing that crap.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool i was having fun with it! the video is pretty clear too, no need to get all uptight about it.

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Yeah, but what are the underlying reasons that cause people to make their "choices of convenience/rebellion/etc"? Ultimately, we are all shaped and influenced by our past and experiences, both consciously and unconsciously, and the decisions we make are the result of that. I just don't think it's realistic that things can be so clearly separated into "I did this because I wanted to be rebellious" and "I did this because I have the most traumatic past evaaah!".

True, but the answer to the question of what these underlying reasons are is, I believe, a bit more complicated and very hard, if not impossible, to answer. It's probably million of things combined, rather than a particular trauma or this or other upbringing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this doesn't matter in shaping an individual, it definietely does, all I'm saying is that it is not the only thing and it is not always necessairly the one that prevails among those underlying resons for a given behviour. I still think that the rebellious youngster can do unbelievable things without any particularly hard experiences from the past, just because it's such time in life when hormones go crazy and we, or at least some of us, overreact to to thousands of things, misjudge our own and other people's emotions, don't control our emotions and all that kind of shit.  But anyway, it's gotten a bit too theoretical. Coming back to the point: I believe Steven did that, I'm not sure about Slash, I would say Axl did not. Of course that is just my opinion because just like everone else here, I know shit :lol:

18 hours ago, killuridols said:

Oh please don't post the sayings of dead guy #1 because they are too spiteful and too gross :unsure:

You're right, this is not really the place. I posted that article down in the Women's Thread instead.

18 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't know when it started and when it ended but if we put together the information provided by both dead guys, the years coincide with pre-Guns era and Axl being 20, 21 years old at the moment these events allegedly took place.

Dead Guy #1 talked about Axl being in L.A. Guns for 2 weeks, but living at his parents' house for 6 months. Do we know the dates of these "two weeks" when Axl was the vocalist for L.A. Guns?

16 hours ago, Asia said:

True, but the answer to the question of what these underlying reasons are is, I believe, a bit more complicated and very hard, if not impossible, to answer. It's probably million of things combined, rather than a particular trauma or this or other upbringing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this doesn't matter in shaping an individual, it definietely does, all I'm saying is that it is not the only thing and it is not always necessairly the one that prevails among those underlying resons for a given behviour. I still think that the rebellious youngster can do unbelievable things without any particularly hard experiences from the past, just because it's such time in life when hormones go crazy and we, or at least some of us, overreact to to thousands of things, misjudge our own and other people's emotions, don't control our emotions and all that kind of shit.  But anyway, it's gotten a bit too theoretical. Coming back to the point: I believe Steven did that, I'm not sure about Slash, I would say Axl did not. Of course that is just my opinion because just like everone else here, I know shit :lol:

Steven definitely did it, since he said so himself. I meant to ask you earlier though, what is the club thing you mentioned in previous posts? Don't think I've ever heard about that.

As for Axl... Like I said above I just posted the only article/source I personally know of regarding Axl selling himself down in the WT.

What's worse?  sucking dick for money or having your fancy lawyers steal the gnr name for you so you can make a fake gnr album and the tour the world on a lie?  

at the end of the day it will always be axl with something in his throat that's hard to swallow.  

On 14-7-2017 at 5:11 AM, mikeman5150 said:

this event would've obviously  played a big role in Axl having a negative view of homos. 

I doubt that he is so ignorant to make such a generalization. That's like hating an entire race because you had a bad experience with one individual of that same race. Or maybe he is that stupid...

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I meant to ask you earlier though, what is the club thing you mentioned in previous posts? Don't think I've ever heard about that.

Unless I'm mixing something up, I think it was in his book that they wouldn't let him to the coolest clubs since he ws underage and that he learned that if he sucks or tocuhes or wahtever (I'm not getting into that!) their dick, he'll have a free pass every time so he did. Something of that kind.

58 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I doubt that he is so ignorant to make such a generalization. That's like hating an entire race because you had a bad experience with one individual of that same race. Or maybe he is that stupid...

Remember Axl was from small town Indiana. He grew up in the 70's, a time where homosexuals weren't really accepted, especially in a Midwest place like Indiana. Also Axl grew up in an extremely religious house. I don't know everything about his particular religion, but I'm pretty sure it's still frowned upon today and even more so back then. Compile that with the fact a guy tried to rape him, I still say it had a lot to do with it. 

12 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Remember Axl was from small town Indiana. He grew up in the 70's, a time where homosexuals weren't really accepted, especially in a Midwest place like Indiana. Also Axl grew up in an extremely religious house. I don't know everything about his particular religion, but I'm pretty sure it's still frowned upon today and even more so back then. Compile that with the fact a guy tried to rape him, I still say it had a lot to do with it. 

I can imagine a certain upbringing affecting your view towards a certain group of people when you're young and impressionable, but if you let one incident affect you like that, then you must lead an ignorant life. But yeah, it's probably a combination of both in his case.

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Dead Guy #1 talked about Axl being in L.A. Guns for 2 weeks, but living at his parents' house for 6 months. Do we know the dates of these "two weeks" when Axl was the vocalist for L.A. Guns?

I will respond to this question at the Women's Thread-

1 hour ago, mikeman5150 said:

This particular christian denomination is ultra-conservative and pretty fucked up, involving "speaking in tongues", "miracles", etc. There were at least 3 churches of this denomination in Lafayette. This is an ad of the church Axl's family was in:

Spoiler

2utohmt.jpg

• Like 3