Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The only complaint about Axls stage presence / persona that I heard from friends regularly (after the recent gigs) was that they wished he'd have engaged with the crowd a bit. He doesn't really talk at all, st.louis being a notable exception. He is obviously very charismatic, and entertaining as far as running around etc, but to get the ultimate showman award, you need to have a bit of chat for your crowd.

I do love when he stops to tell little stories and whatnot between songs, I'll say that. But it doesn't take away from his stage presence or charisma, in my opinion.

He used to have great presence and charisma. You watch something like the Ritz '88 show and he's magnetic.

He doesn't have it anymore and I don't believe it's down to just age. I don't know what it it that caused it but he changed a lot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Axl Rose can be questioned or called out on many things, but come on, stage presence Is not one of them. There has never been a better front man In the history of music IMO. I understand that my previous comment Is strictly an opinion, but If you want to make comparisons just watch Axl perform with Mick Jagger and Tom Petty and he blows them both off of the stage performing their OWN MATERIAL. The guy was born to do what he does. I remember being a teenager and waking up one morning, turning on MTV and there on the screen was the Paris 1992 show. I have been watching that show and the UYI Tokyo VHS tapes for 25 years now and they never get old. One of the main reasons Is because of Axl's stage presence. 

This sums it perfectly. No more needs to said.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Axl Rose can be questioned or called out on many things, but come on, stage presence Is not one of them. There has never been a better front man In the history of music IMO. I understand that my previous comment Is strictly an opinion, but If you want to make comparisons just watch Axl perform with Mick Jagger and Tom Petty and he blows them both off of the stage performing their OWN MATERIAL. The guy was born to do what he does. I remember being a teenager and waking up one morning, turning on MTV and there on the screen was the Paris 1992 show. I have been watching that show and the UYI Tokyo VHS tapes for 25 years now and they never get old. One of the main reasons Is because of Axl's stage presence. 

Nobody here is questioning his greatness in his prime. He was the best. WAS 

Not anymore. And hasn't been in for almost 17 years.

6 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody here is questioning his greatness in his prime. He was the best. WAS 

Not anymore. And hasn't been in for almost 17 years.

He Is 55 years of age, playing 3 hrs per night and still running across a stage the size of the one used on the UYI Tour. Who Is out performing him right now? He has won over the majority of another huge bands fan base and the proof Is In the comment's under the video's on you tube. You can't get much bigger than Axl Rose.

Edited by ironmt
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ironmt said:

He Is 55 years of age, playing 3 hrs per night and still running across a stage the size of the one used on the UYI Tour. Who Is out performing him right now?

The dude behind his computer with a coke in one hand and his dick in the other of course

1 minute ago, ironmt said:

It Is absolutely Insane that anyone would attempt to down play what Axl has accomplished with not only his own band, but with AC/DC also. No one can legitimately not consider Axl as a top front man without an agenda.   

That's how the internet works though. The good-for-nothing will always criticise those who have achieved more in one day than they will ever achieve in their sorry existence. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

That's how the internet works though. The good-for-nothing will always criticise those who have achieved more in one day than they will ever achieve in their sorry existence. 

Frankly with Axl, the years of bad press (some of it justifiable) has taken its toll on his reputation. There's a generation that grew up thinking he's nothing but a douchebag with little if any talent. So naturally, they will give him no credit at all.

Rebooting Guns and him doing great work with AC/DC will slowly but surely start to change those kneejerk judgement towards Axl.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

That's only because people feed into the sorry existences. Like ole Daisy and his existence. You ever see that plant experiment where one plant is told I love you, the other is told I hate you and the other is just ignored. The one that's hated still grows, it's disgusting looking but it feeds off negative energies. The one ignored just dies. If people just ignored the sorry ones they would just die. Like, what is the point of spending time at a place, even if it's a music forum, if you depise the singer of the band. Who thinks that's cool?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That's only because people feed into the sorry existences. Like ole Daisy and his existence. You ever see that plant experiment where one plant is told I love you, the other is told I hate you and the other is just ignored. The one that's hated still grows, it's disgusting looking but it feeds off negative energies. The one ignored just dies. If people just ignored the sorry ones they would just die. Like, what is the point of spending time at a place, even if it's a music forum, if you depise the singer of the band. Who thinks that's cool?

Well, I imagine on a limp bizkit forum - there's probably a lot of hate from their fans towards Fred Durst. Even if the fans like the band, it's not really hard to see why Durst would be loathed by some of them.

Similarly, Axl is a divisive figure for obvious reasons. If you don't think a guy who pulls the type of antics he has in the past will not divide fans, I don't know what to say. It is what it is. I think *most* people here are giving credit to Axl when it's warranted. He's had a great run the past 12-15 months.

I do remember that study you mentioned by the way ;)

He did kind of chill out on stage with AC/DC. I think that's from him not wanting to be an egotistical asshole and not make it the Axl Rose show, that's not his band, he just went out and did his job and let Angus and the boys do their thing, I think that was pretty cool on his part.

Other than that he's still got it from everything I've seen on this tour.

• Like 3

I couldn't care less about Axl's antics of the past. I think he is the greatest frontman in the history of rock n' roll. That 87-93 run cemented that for me. I just don't think he's that great anymore. I compare Axl to Axl. He's a shadow of his former self. It also doesn't help when he intentionally underperforms for GNR.

i do not hate the man, I am just being honest. Many people here accept mediocrity from him, I think to do so is a bigger insult than any criticism that his directed his way.

• Like 1