Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nahh. Mick Jagger is another class up from Rose. The greatest frontman of all time is of course James Brown.

The thing is, Jagger can't sing, especially not live. Freddie Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time, without a shadow of a doubt.

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I haven't seen a person with more charisma and stage presence than Axl Rose...

..whether it be music business or anything else for that matter..!!

Ehh, I say again, Freddie Mercury??

6 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

If these people are referring to Axl in his prime, then they are idiots. If they are referring to current Axl, then they have a point. Axl's movements on each song are identical now from show to show. " It's so easy" starts off with the exact same movements. Welcome to the Jungle is the same. There is no unpredictability anymore. He is a robot.

I sometimes think that Axl totally forgot what he did when he was young. Like he erased it from his mind entirely and became a new person.  He doesn't even know how to move with the mic stand anymore. It's like a lousy imitation except it really isn't.

This. Absolutely this.

24 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

The thing is, Jagger can't sing, especially not live. Freddie Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ehh, I say again, Freddie Mercury??

I've often thought Sir Mick was underrated as a vocalist. True, he does not have the technique and control of a Fred but he is - was - probably the seminal Anglo interpreter of Chicago Blues and early American rock n' roll. He has a good rhythm to his voice, combined with an understanding of his source material. What defects his voice has he overcomes through charisma and personality.

But as I said the Godfather destroys them all in terms of frontmanship. I'd have Presley high up also.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've often thought Sir Mick was underrated as a vocalist. True, he does not have the technique and control of a Fred but he is - was - probably the seminal Anglo interpreter of Chicago Blues and early American rock n' roll. He has a good rhythm to his voice, combined with an understanding of his source material. What defects his voice has he overcomes through charisma and personality.

But as I said the Godfather destroys them all in terms of frontmanship. I'd have Presley high up also.

What's your appraisal of Rose (past and present)?

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd have to agree he is underrated as a vocalist on studio material (and live) from the 60's and early 70's, particularly his performances on Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Exile. I'd also have to agree with him being one of the seminal, along with Keith, interpreters of Chicago Blues and early American rock n'roll, but I personally believe that Zeppelin trounced them on that when they came into their element between Zeppelin 2&4.

I feel as though Freddie had equal if not greater amounts of personality and charisma in comparison to Mick, but Freddie just happened to be one of the greatest songwriters and, in my opinion, the greatest vocalist in the history of music also. 

I am not overly familiar with James Brown so I cannot comment, but it is impossible not to agree with Presley. I'd have 87-89 Axl up there too.

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

What's your appraisal of Rose (past and present)?

Very good frontman in his era. Best when he was more informal in the '80s. Still great in the '90s, although I personally could have done without the costume changes.

Axl has a different performing style than Brian Johnson, Mick or Freddie. Brian for example is a more extroverted and friendly person, when he talks to the crowd he talks to them like they're his friends. Axl is a more introverted person, he is not that friendly with the crowd and doesn't talk with them that much or with that confidence. When Brian performs he sounds like he's relaxed and having a good time. When Axl does a good performance he usually sounds like he's pissed off and he's about to kick somebody's ass. Take for example the best Jungle performances, Back In Black, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck, etc, he doesn't sound like he's relaxed & having a good time like Brian, he sounds "angry" and about to hit somebody and that's OK I find it very charismatic. In many of the greatest Axl performances he sounds like he's angry. That's Axl Rose.  

Edited by North Korean Democracy
  • Like 2

I remember watching the Tokyo VHS tape (shows you how long ago this was) and my sister's friend, who wasn't a fan, was mesmerized by Axl's energy and running around. There weren't a lot of bands like that. He was definitely charismatic, at least on stage. Now it's a bit different, now you get a man in his mid 50s dressing like a teen or twenty-something. Even seeing him doing his famous snake dance seems a bit off. 

It's Axl fuckin' Rose man. It's the only person i use the word "fuckin" between his first- and surname

I saw Axl Rose three times... 2 times from first row. His stage presence was cool. Axl fuckin' Rose few meters in front of me. Mindblowin.

• Like 2

AC/DC fans bitching about Axl's stage presence is ridiculous. I LOVED Brian Johnson, I really did, but talk about a boring guy to watch for the past 15 plus years. He WAS exactly what they are bitching about Axl for. Everything was the same, played with his hat, etc. 

This is NOT a knock on Brian Johnson, I'm just point out the hypocracy. The TRUTH is, Axl is in a situation with AC/DC now where they are going to find ways to dislike him. Why? Because a portion of their fans are upset about Brian Johnson still. They don't want to be mad at Angus, and Axl is,an easy target.

With AC/DC, Axl was there purely to help that band out and help them fulfill their dates . You can see at the start of songs where there are no vocals, he doesn't take the limelight away from the rest of the band, but when the vocals kick in, he's at the heart of everything. I think it's purely out of respect for the band, especially to Angus, not to be running about daft when there is no need for it. The way he delivers songs he sings, props to him, I think he's one of the best. 

It's ironic that some of the things Axl is criticized for now (e.g. not talking much) are the opposite of what he was accused of in the past.

I think that Axl, starting from 1992, made a conscious effort to become a professional frontman in order to control himself and not be engaged much. It was a matter of survival and dealing with his issues and the level of fame he had reached. So his moves became less spontaneous and more "automated", and, sometimes, a bit exaggerated (personally I found some of his speed running unnecessary and "too much"). He didn't manage what he aimed for then though; he was still uncontrollable and explosive, hence unpredictable.

Then, after some attempts to reinvent himself during his comeback in the 00s, including his stage presence (I haven't watched many shows from 2002, but I remember a moment when he said "you want the snake dance? you won't have it"), now he is professional like the general public and the casuals expect him to be.

The fans miss the old Axl who was all over the place, but the "old Axl" was like that because he was all into it and let all his troubled psyche and emotions loose, including the things that made him notorious. There is no way to have an "ideal Axl" with only the good things of the old Axl package plus professionalism. Since he "tamed" himself, this is what he can give as a professional entertainer and a 55 year old and he's great at what he's doing, considering the nature of this tour: he works the stage making his moves and running around, he smiles, he occasionally says some harmless/jokeful lines...

As for engaging with the crowd and some of the comparisons in this regard: I've seen Metallica only once and that was a long time ago; it was a very good show, but I don't remember James Hetfield talking much or interacting with the crowd.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think that Axl, starting from 1992, made a conscious effort to become a professional frontman

Then someone should have told him that the first step in professionalism is showing up on time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody here is questioning his greatness in his prime. He was the best. WAS 

Not anymore. And hasn't been in for almost 17 years.

The Axl that came out in 2006/07 was pretty damn charismatic. 

I think whether he does anything or not from now on Axl is surrounded in legend and (less so in the last 2 years) but a lot of mystique. I also think that he knows how to handle an audience, all eyes are on him and he usually has the place in the palm of his hand...IF he decides to put the effort in. 

Having the ability to watch every one of his performances now, is a privilege we don't have with the early 80s and 90s so it's hard to say that he was always on back then etc. But he isn't as wild obviously, he said that himself in the chats on the forum. But he's still a good to great frontman.

12 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Axl is one of the strangest music artist of all time. His last show with the old band was in1993. He then came back on New Years 2001 and was a totally different person, that is only 7 years separated. He had nothing in common with the dude that performed in River Plate. His stage moves, looks, and voice had all changed. It's as if he hated himself and wanted to intentionally change everything about it.

Surely looked that way, indeed. Very good point.

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I remember watching the Tokyo VHS tape (shows you how long ago this was) and my sister's friend, who wasn't a fan, was mesmerized by Axl's energy and running around. There weren't a lot of bands like that. He was definitely charismatic, at least on stage. Now it's a bit different, now you get a man in his mid 50s dressing like a teen or twenty-something. Even seeing him doing his famous snake dance seems a bit off. 

Axl 1987-1988 was his prime. Coudn't take eyes off him even if you wanted to.

13 hours ago, Bono said:

Axl's stage presence may have diminished a bit over the years but he's always had that "It factor". You're drawn to him and that can't be said for all frontmen that's for sure. At this stage of his career though I don't think he'd be ranked in the top 5 with stage presence but he's still got it in spades.

When he's with AC/DC though he is pretty tame on stage and it is a bit underwhelming that is for sure when it comes to his stage presence. I'd like to see him be more charismatic next time out with AC/DC but he likely doesn't wanna come off as if he's showing up Angus. 

Could be argued his stage presence faded a little bit over the years.

With AC/DC, I think he purposefully stayed back to let Angus shine.

• Like 1

During first few shows back on his feet in NITL I felt like he was regaining his moves and kinda wasnt as dynamic as his old self.  I think he's got it back now.  ACDC like others have said is a different thing - to me he is as engaging as Johnson was.  The less talking on stage in Guns is a bit weird imo.  Catch 22 I suppose as it almost ensures no rants which is probably good for business at this point, but its sad to see for the type of fan that I am.

He was so awesome in the 80s and 90s that for me, he'll always be the best ever. My only complaint now is I hate that little boot scootin twist dance he does now and also the spinning the microphone around his back to his other hand. Looks stupid.  I also never got the whole Freddy mercury thing. He can sing but sounds like going to a Broadway play or opera to me

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

He did kind of chill out on stage with AC/DC. I think that's from him not wanting to be an egotistical asshole and not make it the Axl Rose show, that's not his band, he just went out and did his job and let Angus and the boys do their thing, I think that was pretty cool on his part.

Other than that he's still got it from everything I've seen on this tour.

Spot on ?✌

• Like 1

Not the "ticking time bomb"/irresistible force of 25 years ago- but the answer to the question is still unquestionably yes. When you reach "pop icon" status as Axl (and Slash) did- that stays with you onstage forever. You don't just regress back into "some dude" on the mic. Only those who've had a couple hardy servings of haterade would feel differently IMHO...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yourcrazy said:

Without question he is one of the most charismatic front men ever.  With that being said, he acted completely different when I saw him with AC/DC. I was kind of surprised that he blatently kept behind Angus at almost all times.  I think it was out of respect not only for Angus, but for Brian. Axl wasn't trying to steal the show.  I think that's not an easy thing for him, but it shows that he can know his place and be respectful. 

Yep- and I would argue even that is charismatic in its own way- as it showed an unexpected side to Axl to a lot of people [though I think most of us die hards understood how respectful Axl's become (particularly the last several years) of the greats before him]...