Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Well even if it came from a source like the WSJ and NYT that wouldn't necessarily make it any more valid or invalid. Measuring fan cheering is all relatively subjective anyway.

Without taking anything away from Axl, I think it is abundantly clear that the Slash factor is almost certainly driving this band's financial windfall right now.

Slash + Axl factor*

Take Axl out of the equation and we'll have a SMKC attendance...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I don't think that's what Ronin is saying......I tend to agree with him here.   I'd tend to say neither of them could fill stadiums on their own.  They NEED EACH OTHER to that and that is pretty much a proven fact now.  

I know,but inverse,Slash fill stadiums without Axl???  Not and Nooot 

17 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Slash filling stadium without Axl??came on...........

It's not about Axl and Slash Ratam. It's about the Guns N' Roses BRAND. That brand is what is filling stadiums. For the last 20 years, many people viewed GnR as illegitimate without Slash. Just as it would be if Slash was in the band without Axl. 

With those two in the band - the brand is now legitimized and therefore fans are turning out. I think with Slash, there are two things happening that is drawing a ton of casual fans: 1. There is a novelty factor in seeing him because he hasn't been in Guns for 20 years. 2. Slash is still relevant and Guns N' Roses is his original band - there is genuine excitement about his return. It sort of gives a rejuvenation to Axl and GnR by default. So right now, he is a very big draw for casual fans to see GnR. 

Also - and I mentioned this in another thread, Nu-guns lost a ton of stage firepower without Duff and Slash. Those guys just bring a tremendous amount of rockstar aura that people like Tommy, Buckethead, Bumble, etc cannot replicate.

The live shows are killer now with three legit icons/stars like Axl, Duff, and Slash commanding the stage. That's a lot of value for a paying customer compared to before where the only real rockstar on stage was Axl. 

All of this only goes to show you what an unbelievable band original GNR was and still is. Nu Guns could not overcome that legendary lineup. 

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Yah, definitely not.  He never said that, I don't think.  

You get where I'm coming from. :lol:

Edited by RONIN

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Also - and I mentioned this in another thread, Nu-guns lost a ton of stage firepower without Duff and Slash. Those guys just bring a tremendous amount of rockstar aura that people like Tommy, Buckethead, Bumble, etc cannot replicate.

Totally agree with that. Even tho i love bumble and bucket, the majority (if not all) nu-gnr members are not rockstar as slash and duff, they're just... musicians

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It's not about Axl and Slash Ratam. It's about the Guns N' Roses BRAND. That brand is what is filling stadiums. For the last 20 years, many people viewed GnR as illegitimate without Slash. Just as it would be if Slash was in the band without Axl. 

With those two in the band - the brand is now legitimized and therefore fans are turning out. I think with Slash, there are two things happening that is drawing a ton of casual fans: 1. There is a novelty factor in seeing him because he hasn't been in Guns for 20 years. 2. Slash is still relevant and Guns N' Roses is his original band - there is genuine excitement about that. So right now, he is a very big draw for casual fans to see GnR. 

The live shows are killer now with three legit icons/stars like Axl, Duff, and Slash commanding the stage. That's a lot of value for a paying customer compared to before where the only real rockstar on stage was Axl. 

All of this only goes to show you what an unbelievable band original GNR was and still is. Nu Guns could not overcome that legendary lineup. 

You get where I'm coming from. :lol:

My humble opinion is what  big draw not is just Slash, both Axl and Slash together,they 2 had big draw ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

I have been to a show recently - and as I've stated many times, Axl and co. were great. I'd only add that for me, personally - I found Duff more engaging than either Axl or Slash. With that said, Axl has very good stage presence as expected.

No offence (obviously all subjective) but to me, Duff's polka dot shirt is more engaging than Duff, bless him, I love the man (clearly, given my choice of avatar) but more engaging than Axl?  No.  

Duff is doing what he's always done in this role: he struts the stage back and forth, hovers around Frank for a bit, hovers around Slash for a bit.  Plays like a boss.  Only difference is that he smiles at the crowd a bit more now that he's not whacked out of his mind, but he's not doing more than Axl.  Duff hasn't changed.  He was always cool.  Always the stylish one too, (after Izzy).  I wish he got more love round here actually, guess there isn't as much appreciation for bass as there is for guitar.  

7 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Age had nothing to do with it, the guy just got really weird and totally change. 

In my opinion, Axl decided to "kill" Axl in 1993. What we have seen since 2001 is someone else. I get the feeling that if he sat down and watched footage of himself from his prime, he wouldn't enjoy it one bit. No wonder he enjoys singing his shit songs from CD more than he does singing Appetite. 

Maybe he did, you never know.  Maybe it all got too much i.e. read second para of my previous post.  Like I said, fans expecting Axl to flip a switch and transform into the one-of-a-kind someone he was 25-30 years ago might be demanding too much of a performer who gave what he had to give already.  I don't know, I'm just throwing the idea out there.  

Thought occurred to me that Axl needs new music to get inspired and excited because it can't be particularly inspiring singing 30 year old songs you already performed the shit out of over and over.  They need to put out new music.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, comboguns said:

Actually DUff is the more charismatic guy on stage, he moves like in the old days, Slash is more calm , but sometimes he does the same guitar tricks, and handstand like in old times.

Hi! a newbie here and just had to comment on this, I saw them on their tour 2 weeks ago and Duff is definitely mesmerizing! so much fun to watch, the only one who keeps it cool and looks like an ultimate rock star. Never saw that in older days, I think he is much better performer now than in the prime of GNR (which I was too young to experience in real time, but judging by the youtube concerts..)

I was disappointed with Axl in Madrid in June. He didn't talk to the crowd. He didn't say a word until 5th or 6 the song, day at least hi.

I prefer frontman like Bruce Dickinson or Dee Snider, older that Axl but with the same energy that 30 years ago.

And I am a big Axl fan, but the last tour is hard to watch for those who grew up with the illusion tour

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

I was disappointed with Axl in Madrid in June. He didn't talk to the crowd. He didn't say a word until 5th or 6 the song, day at least hi.

I prefer frontman like Bruce Dickinson or Dee Snider, older that Axl but with the same energy that 30 years ago.

And I am a big Axl fan, but the last tour is hard to watch for those who grew up with the illusion tour

Yep. I feel bad for those that never got to experience the real thing.

It also comes down to one word. Money. We may never know if Axl  and the last installment could have ever filled a stadium because no promoter ever allowed it to happen.  No promoter ever threw a considerable amount of money at the idea of a stadium tour with "Axl and the revamped Guns N' Roses."  

1 minute ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

It also comes down to one word. Money. We may never know if Axl  and the last installment could have ever filled a stadium because no promoter ever allowed it to happen.  No promoter ever threw a considerable amount of money at the idea of a stadium tour with "Axl and the revamped Guns N' Roses."  

lol They couldn't even fill arenas.  Why would anybody in there right mind try a stadium tour with fake Guns?

Maybe you were joking and I fell for it/

• Like 1

I saw them 3 times this tour. All I can say is that Slash is a live monster, I heard friends of mine telling me how great he is. HOWEVER, I think Axl is hypnotic...I had the chance to see great frontmen like Dickinson, Tyler, even Bach and thought they were all great; bur once you get to see Axl live, you understand why he has the success he has and what he represents; he's just fucking hypnotic, he's a totally living legend. Of course, I believe Slash also is, but I think Axl will always be remembered as one of the very best EVER while Slash is a great guitarist for us, good for others. 

That being said, they both need each other to become Guns n Roses

• Like 4

From what I have seen in the press, they say Axl is quiet for the most part on stage. But they miss his bad assery from their hay day. But back then people called him a wanker.  Dude just can't win.

imo it was axls rants Etc which added to how cool the shows were.

• Like 1

All I can say is: FOR ME today's Axl can only be beaten by his younger self. PERIOD. No one else can. When you experience it live, he still moves around, he still dances like only he can, he has that iconic presence that only a few may have, and he sounds good even singing mickeyish, and when he screams, he takes you back to the early 90's. That's all I know.  

• Like 2