Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

4 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

No. In response to your last paragraph, Slash didn't have the benefit of the band's name, the Guns N' Roses brand, Axl did, and they were still playing identical shows size wise, especially in Europe. Look what happens when the same old band name with the same old members (for the most part, we all know Duff and Melissa aren't who people are paying to see) has Slash injected into them? They go from playing the joint in LV to the fucking Metlife Stadium. Coincidence? I think not. 

I know Axl had the name and that was a huge benefit. In Belgium at least, they didn't play in the same venues though, but whatever.

I don't really get what you're saying. If you're saying the coming back of Slash made it possible to play huge venues, I agree with that. I always said they needed each other. Or do you think Slash can keep playing these huge venues with Myles and the Conspirators?

20 minutes ago, Lio said:

I know Axl had the name and that was a huge benefit. In Belgium at least, they didn't play in the same venues though, but whatever.

I don't really get what you're saying. If you're saying the coming back of Slash made it possible to play huge venues, I agree with that. I always said they needed each other. Or do you think Slash can keep playing these huge venues with Myles and the Conspirators?

It sure was. That's fair enough, but they did in Ireland and England. That is what I'm saying, I don't think they necessarily need each other, I think Guns N' Roses needs Slash. I am saying SMKC can't play huge stadiums and only arenas as they haven't got the GNR name, and even though Axl had the name, they still played the same size venues, at least in Ireland and England anyway. 

Yep, his stage presence was a lot better... i was just watching this, and the way he literally ACTS the song and leans upon the mic-stand like he is really playing a character or something... is just amazing to watch

now all he does is hump the air

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rendestroi95 said:

Yep, his stage presence was a lot better... i was just watching this, and the way he literally ACTS the song and leans upon the mic-stand like he is really playing a character or something... is just amazing to watch

now all he does is hump the air

Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen this one before.  Outstanding showmanship here.  I've long since made my peace with the fact vintage Axl isn't coming back (vocally too, his voice is shot forever, it's the cold hard truth) but when I see videos like this I sure do yearn for his old days.  The man had no competition.  I dunno, maybe a lot of it has to do with just plain getting older, knee joints going, back aches and what not.  I doubt he'd be able to work the mic and stagger around the stage today like he did in this video.  

Or possibly we don't fully appreciate just how much effort it took for Axl to be that fucking extraordinary, how much of himself he must have given.  He used to say he'd take an hour or two to recover emotionally, to come back from wherever it was in his head he had to go to be that person on stage.  I recall someone saying that he never just sang a song; he'd become the song.  You can't replicate or imitate that level of showmanship.  Even Axl can't, as he's proving today.  That Axl was a one off.  Never to be repeated.  I think he's probably doing the best he can now with what he's got.  I'm OK with that.  He already gave us the best years of his life (I mean that in a positive way) and I'm just really bloody grateful that footage like this exists.  So thanks again for sharing it.  Top song, too!

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen this one before.  Outstanding showmanship here.  I've long since made my peace with the fact vintage Axl isn't coming back (vocally too, his voice is shot forever, it's the cold hard truth) but when I see videos like this I sure do yearn for his old days.  The man had no competition.  I dunno, maybe a lot of it has to do with just plain getting older, knee joints going, back aches and what not.  I doubt he'd be able to work the mic and stagger around the stage today like he did in this video.  

Or possibly we don't fully appreciate just how much effort it took for Axl to be that fucking extraordinary, how much of himself he must have given.  He used to say he'd take an hour or two to recover emotionally, to come back from wherever it was in his head he had to go to be that person on stage.  I recall someone saying that he never just sang a song; he'd become the song.  You can't replicate or imitate that level of showmanship.  Even Axl can't, as he's proving today.  That Axl was a one off.  Never to be repeated.  I think he's probably doing the best he can now with what he's got.  I'm OK with that.  He already gave us the best years of his life (I mean that in a positive way) and I'm just really bloody grateful that footage like this exists.  So thanks again for sharing it.  Top song, too!

Age had nothing to do with it, the guy just got really weird and totally change. 

In my opinion, Axl decided to "kill" Axl in 1993. What we have seen since 2001 is someone else. I get the feeling that if he sat down and watched footage of himself from his prime, he wouldn't enjoy it one bit. No wonder he enjoys singing his shit songs from CD more than he does singing Appetite. 

4 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Age had nothing to do with it, the guy just got really weird and totally change. 

In my opinion, Axl decided to "kill" Axl in 1993. What we have seen since 2001 is someone else. I get the feeling that if he sat down and watched footage of himself from his prime, he wouldn't enjoy it one bit. No wonder he enjoys singing his shit songs from CD more than he does singing Appetite. 

Axl was still Axl during 2001, not the same, but you could tell he was there, the body language was really strong. Then 2006-2010, shit started to go downhill... he was still kinda aggressive but you could really tell the difference.

32 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

He also thinks he sounds shit on the acoustic side of Lies and even wanted to re-do his vocals, he said he was shocked people weren't really into his cleaner voice on CD. He obviously sees and hears things alot differently to everybody else!

Edited by Silverburst80

11 hours ago, Lio said:

If you're looking for people's opinion outside of the 'GNR fandom bubble', @RONIN, maybe you should ask the question somewhere else than on a GNR fan forum? I don't know if you've been to a show recently, or will go in the future, but maybe you should ask around on a show. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority will say Axl has great stage presence, also the casuals and even people who've been mocking Axl for years and came to the show out of curiosity.

Which is essentially what I did. I think a lot of people didn't bother to read the original post and just looked at the thread title before chiming in. The original post basically states that some AC/DC fans are whining about Axl's stage presence - what do GnR fans think about that? The purpose was to use this thread as a sounding board to express opinions on Axl's stage presence good/bad. There's really no right or wrong answer and aside from a few of the usual suspects getting worked up over nothing, this thread is pretty positive towards Axl - overwhelmingly so as expected. Cool.

I have been to a show recently - and as I've stated many times, Axl and co. were great. I'd only add that for me, personally - I found Duff more engaging than either Axl or Slash. With that said, Axl has very good stage presence as expected.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, penelope said:

If he  didn't have charisma or a stage presence he wouldn't be filling stadiums  all around the world? now,  to run or not to run, who cares? he is 55 not 25.

I don't know what to say  about the ACDC fans..  

The show opened with the one-two punch of “It’s So Easy” and “Mr. Brownstone,” causing spontaneous outbursts of Axl dances and fist pumps in the crowd, which was more than twice the attendance of the combined 22,000 folks who caught GNR’s last three, Slash-free shows at the Target Center. But some of those smiles turned to looks of confusion at the third song of the show, the title track of 2008’s “Chinese Democracy,” the album Rose made with his own version of GNR.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/30/guns-n-roses-provide-3-hours-of-thrills-at-u-s-bank-stadium/

14 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The show opened with the one-two punch of “It’s So Easy” and “Mr. Brownstone,” causing spontaneous outbursts of Axl dances and fist pumps in the crowd, which was more than twice the attendance of the combined 22,000 folks who caught GNR’s last three, Slash-free shows at the Target Center. But some of those smiles turned to looks of confusion at the third song of the show, the title track of 2008’s “Chinese Democracy,” the album Rose made with his own version of GNR.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/30/guns-n-roses-provide-3-hours-of-thrills-at-u-s-bank-stadium/

What does this have to do with this topic?   

Oh and again, in St. Louis Duff was NOWHERE near as engaging as Axl (or Slash for that matter).   

I will say in Vegas, I was on Duff's side and was walking what I thought was the edge of an aisle inthe pitand found myself past the stage and into an area where I wasn't supposed to be I think (and being eye balled by two big dudes in suits), so I slowly made my way back to where I was to be without looking like I was guilty as I got back to right in front of the stage, Duff was right there watching me.  I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders and he laughed.  It was pretty funny.  

But, in general I don't find Duff to be terribly interactive with the crowd.  He does move about and he looks pretty fucking cool and all.  But, when Axl is on like in St. Louis, no one in that band matches his presence.  

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Dude, I went to see Aerosmith last year and  when Joe Perry started his solo and his singing, because Steven went to rest a bit, everybody was like :sleeper::confused: ( not me) but lots of people were like that... 

And when you go to a concert is not like you know every song of the artist (at least not me) sorry, I don't wanna talk for everybody.

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

What does this have to do with this topic?   

1 hour ago, penelope said:

If he  didn't have charisma or a stage presence he wouldn't be filling stadiums  all around the world? now,  to run or not to run, who cares? he is 55 not 25.

I don't know what to say  about the ACDC fans..  

He's not filling stadiums without Slash in tow. Axl cannot carry this band alone and hasn't been able to since he emerged from the wilderness in 2002. That was my point.

And the attendance stats are pretty conclusive on that.

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

He's not filling stadiums without Slash in tow. Axl cannot carry this band alone and hasn't been able to since he emerged from the wilderness in 2002. That was my point.

Ah, yah, I agree with that....but there isn't a front man in the Rock and Roll Genre who would do that either without their already established band.  So, it's a silly point, though you are right.    Off the top of my head, I'd say Ozzy was the last and maybe one of the only ones to do such a thing.  

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, penelope said:

Dude, I went to see Aerosmith last year and  when Joe Perry started his solo and his singing, because Steven went to rest a bit, everybody was like :sleeper::confused: ( not me) but lots of people were like that... 

And when you go to a concert is not like you know every song of the artist (at least not me) sorry, I don't wanna talk for everybody.

Fair enough. :lol: You could say Slash is a lot more exciting to watch than Joe Perry - but like you, I don't want to speak for others however - from last night's show review:

Dressed all in black with his signature top hat perched above his curly locks, Slash positively oozed cool. The audience clearly adored him and gave him plenty of love, maybe even more than Rose. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Fair enough. :lol: You could say Slash is a lot more exciting to watch than Joe Perry - but like you, I don't want to speak for others however - from last night's show review:

Dressed all in black with his signature top hat perched above his curly locks, Slash positively oozed cool. The audience clearly adored him and gave him plenty of love, maybe even more than Rose. 

Dude if you are going to make points quoting hack writers for small time papers lol....good luck with that.  

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Ah, yah, I agree with that....but there isn't a front man in the Rock and Roll Genre who would do that either without their already established band.  So, it's a silly point, though you are right.    Off the top of my head, I'd say Ozzy was the last and maybe one of the only ones to do such a thing.  

It's really hard - there's no shame in that. Maybe if Axl had remained relevant in the mainstream press, it might have been possible for him to move on without Slash since he was hugely famous in the 90's. 

The more these NITL shows go on - the harder it is for me to even imagine how this band functioned without Slash. He's so vital to the sound and image of the band - it's hard to believe the balls that Rose had to even attempt nu-guns. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Dude if you are going to make points quoting hack writers for small time papers lol....good luck with that.  

Well even if it came from a source like the WSJ and NYT that wouldn't necessarily make it any more valid or invalid. Measuring fan cheering is all relatively subjective anyway.

Without taking anything away from Axl, I think it is abundantly clear that the Slash factor is almost certainly driving this band's financial windfall right now.

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Slash filling stadium without Axl??came on...........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Slash filling stadium without Axl??came on...........

I don't think that's what Ronin is saying......I tend to agree with him here.   I'd tend to say neither of them could fill stadiums on their own.  They NEED EACH OTHER to that and that is pretty much a proven fact now.  

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Good point. But we could say the same about Slash, he is not filling Stadiums withouth Axl.... They kinda need each other, the reason this reunion thing is working is because of these two.

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I don't know, I was thrilled to see Joe Perry, to me he is as iconic as Slash.

And about who the audience likes more, if Slash or Axl, it is all about tastes, I have always liked Axl since I can remember, even though the only news I had from him were about his fight with Tommy Hilfiger...I like Slash too.

• Like 1