THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

All these teams are basically as historical as each other. Most of these clubs were founded at about the same time, as the 19th century gave way to the 20th. Manchester United haven't got a monopoly on history haha. 

Jesus. I wasn't talking about which team was the oldest :lol:

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Jesus. I wasn't talking about which team was the oldest :lol:

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

United is special. It comes with the...history.

Thus predisposing that they have some sort of monopoly on possessing a history. All these clubs have the same amount of history. Arsenal? They were linked with the Woolwich Garrison. Newcastle began as two teams that were then ''united''. They all have this. 

United is special. It comes with the pedigree and history

A bit, yeah.

Teams that "lead the way with that kinda shit" are teams like City and Chelsea and PSG, teams with nothing but rich owners. Upstarts. Brats.

You should probably have a look at your transfer market layouts over the years before making a comment like that.

Such teams doesn't instill loyalty, because players come because of the cash not because of also playing for a legendary team. 

Have a look at the teams you've named and have a look at how long some of their longest serving players have been there for.  But I suppose they can't win because its for the money I suppose :shrugs:

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

A bit, yeah.

You should probably have a look at your transfer market layouts over the years before making a comment like that.

The transfer market layout these last years have been absolutely shameful, I agree. Fortunately, Ole has signaled things will change now. We will focus on purchasing for the longterm, not just short-term signings of big names (Sanchez, anyone?), and we will focus on academy players. That is the United way. And quite frankly, if you want long term sustainability, it is the only way.

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hahaha, oh, Diesel :lol:

No, it means they have a special history. Everything that exists has a history. It sort of comes with the territory of existing.

The Fergie era really is the foundation of Uniteds history, other than that you've got a good spell in the 60s, a little spot in the 50s...not a lot else in terms of substantial competition. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Hahaha, oh, Diesel :lol:

No, it means they have a special history. Everything that exists has a history. It sort of comes with the territory of existing.

Ahh, a ''special'' history. 

When I was at the height of my football fandom which was the '80s, Man U were utter wank. For ages they won nothing; entire decades went by. So you won't be saying this history is very ''special'' I suppose?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

we will focus on academy players. That is the United way. And quite frankly, if you want long term sustainability, it is the only way.

Y'reckon?  Problem with that in the modern age is they invariably end up getting big boys wages and then don't really push on cuz they get comfortable in their little niche a'la the last generation of wankers that Wenger dragged up.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The Fergie era really is the foundation of Uniteds history, other than that you've got a good spell in the 60s, a little spot in the 50s...not a lot else in terms of substantial competition. 

Yes, that is true. But it also was a legendary period.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ahh, a ''special'' history. 

When I was at the height of my football fandom which was the '80s, Man U were utter wank. For ages they won nothing; entire decades went by. So you won't be saying this history is very ''special'' I suppose?

Oh it is. Are you daft? How many teams in the English football systems can claim to have a similarly successful history? How many other teams have won the league that many times? Or the FA cup? Just a few...so yes, United has a special history.

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, that is true. But it also was a legendary period.

They were fucking exceptional, I'll give em that, as much as it pains me to say it.  I've always thought that posterity has been very kind to Arsenal in the way that documentaries and print now seem to frame Arsenal as the only serious contenders to Uniteds crown in that era, they were for a couple of seasons but overall they weren't really a match at all.

The worst bit is player for player they weren't even that brilliant but they worked well as a team and thats all that matters.

Edited by Len Cnut

Oh it is. Are you daft? How many teams in the English football systems can claim to have a similarly successful history? How many other teams have won the league that many times? Or the FA cup? Just a few...so yes, United has a special history.

There are more than 7000 teams in the English football system. So yes, what United has achieved is very special.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

They were fucking exceptional, I'll give em that, as much as it pains me to say it.  I've always thought that posterity has been very kind to Arsenal in the way that documentaries and print now seem to frame Arsenal as the only serious contenders to Uniteds crown in that era, they were for a couple of seasons but overall they weren't really a match at all.

The worst bit is player for player they weren't even that brilliant but they worked well as a team and thats all that matters.

Yeah, I agree. This is very much what the fans are hoping for again.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Liverpool have won five European titles to Manchester United's 3? Arsenal have 13 FA Cups to Man U's 12. Even with the League, the competition in which Man U have recorded the most victories (20), Liverpool are just two behind. There is nothing uniquely special about Manchester United's history when compared with her two rivals statistically. 

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course, if by ''special'' you mean being a bunch of cunts? 

Funnily enough that is something quite special about them, they seem to attract massive cunts.  I mean the Fergie generation were almost all cunts to a man.  Scholes, Keane, have you ever encounter two more unpleasant men?  What about the Neville wankers?  Or Ryan 'hide the in laws' Giggs?  Or Rud Van Nistelrooy, the cunts cunt, Jesus, he was such a cunt even his own teammates hated him?  Ronaldo...Robin Van Persie...Joe Jordan...Cantona (though to be fair I sort of rate him :lol:), Ibra, Schmichael...I could fuckin' go on all day.

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Funnily enough that is something quite special about them, they seem to attract massive cunts.  I mean the Fergie generation were almost all cunts to a man.  Scholes, Keane, have you ever encounter two more unpleasant men?  What about the Neville wankers?  Or Ryan 'hide the in laws' Giggs?  Or Rud Van Nistelrooy, the cunts cunt, Jesus, he was such a cunt even his own teammates hated him?  Ronaldo...Robin Van Persie...Joe Jordan...Cantona (though to be fair I sort of rate him :lol:), Ibra, Schmichael...I could fuckin' go on all day.

Just a horrible lot really. A team of horrible people for horrible people. And at the pinnacle of this was Ferguson himself. 

I saw on the news that Scholes lasted about one week managing Oldham or somebody. 

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Liverpool have won five European titles to Manchester United's 3? Arsenal have 13 FA Cups to Man U's 12. Even with the League, the competition in which Man U have recorded the most victories (20), Liverpool are just two behind. There is nothing uniquely special about Manchester United's history when compared with her two rivals statistically. 

What on earth are you even trying to argue? :lol: I have never said United is the best team by any conceivable metrics. I said they have a special history, like that it stands out among the 7000 other teams in the league. Like in that they are recognized around the world. Like in they having been able to brand themselves to be among top-three clubs in the world with the highest revenues. Like in having results that few other teams can compare with. Not that there aren't other teams with great histories, too, like Liverpool, or Leeds or whatever. Are you trying to be obtuse or does it come natural to you?

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just a horrible lot really. A team of horrible people for horrible people. And at the pinnacle of this was Ferguson himself. 

I saw on the news that Scholes lasted about one week managing Oldham or somebody. 

I could literally go on with the list of United players but it eventually becomes a redundant exercise because you end up almost naming everyone that ever played for them.  Georgie Best, there's one I actually like, he was a cool guy though there's a fair deal to his story that reflects very poorly on him.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What on earth are you even trying to argue? :lol: I have never said United is the best team by any conceivable metrics. I said they have a special history, like that it stands out among the 7000 other teams in the league. Like in that they are recognized around the world. Like in they having been able to brand themselves to be among top-three clubs in the world with the highest revenues. Like in having results that few other teams can compare with. Not that there aren't other teams with great histories, too, like Liverpool, or Leeds or whatever. Are you trying to be obtuse or does it come natural to you?

Ahh, here we are. The truth now becomes apparent why Manchester United are indeed special. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ahh, here we are. The truth now becomes apparent why Manchester United are indeed special. 

Are you going to argue they are not one of the teams in England with the greatest amount of titles? :lol: Oh, Diesel, how you are willing to make yourself look stupid rather than accept I am right. 

Although, even by Soul's own shallow criteria Manchester United rank third,

_105322644_footballteamstable-nc.png

Are you going to argue they are not one of the teams in England with the greatest amount of titles? :lol: Oh, Diesel, how you are willing to make yourself look stupid rather than accept I am right. 

And therefore not very special at all. Or if we are going to award them with the accolade ''special'' we have at least a further two teams worthy of similar treatment. We have at least a trinity.  

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Although, even by Soul's own shallow criteria Manchester United rank third,

_105322644_footballteamstable-nc.png

And therefore not very special at all. Or if we are going to award them with the accolade ''special'' we have at least a further two teams worthy of similar treatment. We have at least a trinity.  

Didn't I say there were among top-three or did I just dream I wrote it? :lol:

And yes, why can't three teams out of 7000 be special? Jesus :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Didn't I say there were among top-three or did I just dream I wrote it? :lol:

And yes, why can't three teams out of 7000 be special? Jesus :lol:

Even whence compared with other plastic glory seeking teams, you are a distinct third. The prawn sandwiches are even more abundant at Madrid and Barca. Man U are even failures in their own hideous criteria - they cannot even do that one thing right. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Even whence compared with other plastic glory seeking teams, you are a distinct third. The prawn sandwiches are even more abundant at Madrid and Barca. Man U are even failures in their own hideous criteria - they cannot even do that one thing right. 

I am fine with them being the third most financially successful club in the world :lol: Why wouldn't I?

And revenues is just one side of the coin: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbespr/2018/06/12/forbes-releases-15th-annual-list-of-the-worlds-most-valuable-soccer-teams/

• Like 1