Songs that should have been hits (or at least, bigger hits)

downzy

Arguably U2's best ballad and yet it's rarely mentioned outside the hardcore fanbase. It was released as a single but it was quickly forgotten and doesn't get any radio play anymore compared to With or Without You and One.  The song is one of my absolute favourites to listen to while walking at night and yet still a cool night time city driving song.  It's got such a  great mix of melancholy  with a nostalgic vibe and yet there's a tinge of hope in it. It's just an amazing song. 

• Like 1

Renegade Angel was supposed to be Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell massive follow-up, but he lost his voice at the time. Still mixed by Rundgren/Steinman and Jimmy Iovine, featuring future hits like Streisand's Left In The Dark and 'shapes' of the future Bonnie Tyler's biggest hits. To keep it simple, any song written by Steinman in the 80s was a hit. But this album, Bad For Good, wasn't.

Other than that, I have no idea, what's a hit nowadays.

They were absolute awesome songs that fell off the radar in the past it's true, maybe personally I'd say like 'Silver, Blue and Gold' should have been way more popular, 'Trinidad', 'One Tin Soldier', 'Crying, Waiting, Hoping' etc...

Edited by Silent Jay

7 hours ago, Bono said:

Arguably U2's best ballad and yet it's rarely mentioned outside the hardcore fanbase. It was released as a single but it was quickly forgotten and doesn't get any radio play anymore compared to With or Without You and One.  The song is one of my absolute favourites to listen to while walking at night and yet still a cool night time city driving song.  It's got such a  great mix of melancholy  with a nostalgic vibe and yet there's a tinge of hope in it. It's just an amazing song. 

Good call. Very much underrated. Probably my third favourite U2 ballad after One and She's Running to Stand Still.  This song seems to work better as Bono's vocals get older.

I still have the b-side they released of this song performed live in Toronto that I was in attendance for.  

13 hours ago, downzy said:

Good call. Very much underrated. Probably my third favourite U2 ballad after One and She's Running to Stand Still.  This song seems to work better as Bono's vocals get older.

I still have the b-side they released of this song performed live in Toronto that I was in attendance for.  

Oh not you as well!  Say it ain't so Downzy!  I always felt this general light of piety shining from you that has dimmed immensely.

Speaking of Radiohead, I felt this should have been a bigger hit.  

I understand why in this day and age the music is a little out there and out of vogue, but it's probably one of my favourite songs in the last fifteen years.  It's a shame that songs like this don't get run up the charts in comparison to the umpteenth Bieber song that sounds exactly like last song: