The Sleep And Insomnia Thread

soon

56 minutes ago, Drakestar said:

@soon was there a typical brand of tinctures that you bought? I’ll be trying those next (amazon).

The melatonin isn’t doing anything. However, I think I need to really search out the time released ones. Costco didn’t have them so I just bought the Weber Naturals melatonin (with 5htp and something else(?)).

I am liking the glasses though. If nothing else it is something providing a physical cue to my psyche. 

I just can’t shut my brain off when I lay down.

I made them from my garden (super easy and cheap, but takes 4-6 weeks steeping).  I took a peek on Amazon.ca and, with out any experience with any of the brands, I did note that there was one brand that is certified Wildcrafted.  As you may know this means they or harvested from nature in a sustainable way, free of chemicals and non-gmo.  Imo given that tinctures are a concentration of whats in and on the herbs its best to go with organic or wildcrafted when possible.  And in this case they aren't more expensive for it either. They have both chamomile and lemon balm.  Again, Ive never used these brands though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Chamomile-Alcoholic-Tincture-Matricaria-Recutita/dp/B00IT22Q5I/ref=sr_1_1?srs=9555159011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516977370&sr=8-1&keywords=chamomile+tincture

Ensure that you get German Chamomile; Matricaria chamomilla (synonym: Matricaria recutita), NOT Roman Chamomile.

Im glad you reminded me to get those glasses.  I was fully awake at 4am today and thinking about this thread.  The tinctures definitely help settle my mind.  Hope they will for you as well.

• Like 1

My sleep has been so choppy lately. I'll go to bed around 10:30, wake up anywhere between 1am-3am and be up for a half hour, go back to sleep, wake up again at 6, and then drift in and out for three hours before saying fuck it and getting up. I can get to sleep fine, it's just staying asleep that's the issue

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

On January 26, 2018 at 9:25 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

My sleep has been so choppy lately. I'll go to bed around 10:30, wake up anywhere between 1am-3am and be up for a half hour, go back to sleep, wake up again at 6, and then drift in and out for three hours before saying fuck it and getting up. I can get to sleep fine, it's just staying asleep that's the issue

Do you have any sense of whats waking you up?  My neighbours get me up around 3-4am every night.  And I toss and turn until 7-8.  Sucks!  And now on top of that, its turned around my cats days and nights so he's running up the walls all night.

I did however put in an inquiry for a new apartment yesterday.  Im outta here asap.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Do you have any sense of whats waking you up? 

I had a fire in my building in June. It was containted to someone's stovetop but it's kind of scary when the fire dept is banging on your door at 4am and there's smoke filling your apartment. I think that caused a lot of anxiety and now I'm always scared something bad is gonna happen. I'm doing the same thing as you though, getting the shit outta there as soon as I can

44 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I had a fire in my building in June. It was containted to someone's stovetop but it's kind of scary when the fire dept is banging on your door at 4am and there's smoke filling your apartment. I think that caused a lot of anxiety and now I'm always scared something bad is gonna happen. I'm doing the same thing as you though, getting the shit outta there as soon as I can

Right, that would rattle somebody.  Hope you can get outta there really soon.  I think some people try out diffusing different calming oils over night for this, but not for everyone of course.

• Like 2

I slept four or five hours per night during the last month. That's not very much. I usually went to sleep at 01/02:00 am and woke up at 06:00 am during the working days of the week.  

Edited by Sosso

19 hours ago, Sosso said:

I slept four or five hours per night during the last month. That's not very much. I usually went to sleep at 01/02:00 am and woke up at 06:00 am during the working days of the week.  

Yeah, thats not much at all.  I was wide awake by 5am again today, but at least Im asleep usually by about 9-10pm.  I wonder what changed for you during the last month?  Maybe too much Chinese Teas?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, thats not much at all.  I was wide awake by 5am again today, but at least Im asleep usually by about 9-10pm.  I wonder what changed for you during the last month?  Maybe too much Chinese Teas?

I like your sense of humour, lol. 

• Thanks 1

If I wake up after under six hours sleep (the current amount they say is healthy) and I don't have to get up for anything, I usually try to get back to sleep. It usually takes an hour or two, but eventually happens. It was hard and boring to wait at first, but when I worked out it usually took 1-2 hours, then I became more ready for it.

Moreover, I can often feel my mind calming, which must be the neurons settling, not having so many thoughts, then the mind starts to feel heavy, often accompanied by bright images, which I guess could be the dopamine of sleep, and then it is back to the dreamworld... usually just for another hour or two, taking me over the six hours mark!

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Guess even melatonin doesn’t work for me! It’s hopeless, maybe I should just give up on sleeping like a normal person....

Im starting to think the same.  Or that my body has already given up at sleeping.  Fully awake at 1:50am.  This time nothing even woke me up.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Im starting to think the same.  Or that my body has already given up at sleeping.  Fully awake at 1:50am.  This time nothing even woke me up.

I’m so pissy about this, melatonin worked for me for about 4 hours and now I’m up again and just really itchy and can’t sleep again! It suckssssss!

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m so pissy about this, melatonin worked for me for about 4 hours and now I’m up again and just really itchy and can’t sleep again! It suckssssss!

Whats up with the itchiness?  Is that part of taking melatonin?

Yeah, it totally sucks!  My young cat thinks that whenever I get up its morning, meaning time to be fed.  So Im tired and grumpy that I cant sleep and I got the beast attacking me for not feeding it.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Whats up with the itchiness?  Is that part of taking melatonin?

Yeah, it totally sucks!  My young cat thinks that whenever I get up its morning, meaning time to be fed.  So Im tired and grumpy that I cant sleep and I got the beast attacking me for not feeding it.

Idk. I just have a league of issues when it comes to sleep unfortunately :/

On February 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Drakestar said:

I’ve been reaing about 5htp lately. Most people don’t get enough tryptophan. 

Tryptophan—>5htp—>serotonin—>melatonin

So by supplementing with 5htp you can uplift your mood and sleep.

Maybe I don’t eat enough turkey. 

Thats interesting.  I would love to eat more turkey; no problem with that.  I wonder also if tryptophan requires other nutrients present to convert it, that one might also be short on?

Like how I take magnesium, D, calcium all together because the calcium requires the other two to absorb.  And calcium aides in sleep.

On 19.2.2018 at 3:58 PM, Drakestar said:

I’ve been reaing about 5htp lately. Most people don’t get enough tryptophan. 

Tryptophan—>5htp—>serotonin—>melatonin

So by supplementing with 5htp you can uplift your mood and sleep.

Maybe I don’t eat enough turkey. 

I HIGHLY doubt that most people don't get enough tryptophan. I have been looking for tryptophan deficiency prevalence without finding any numbers. Tryptophan, as a common amino acid, is found in most proteins, and hence in almost all diets (both vegetarian and other). 

And as discussed previously, turkey does not contain more tryptophan than other types of poultry.