The Sleep And Insomnia Thread

soon

On 10/6/2017 at 8:05 AM, SoulMonster said:

Although I don't suffer from sleep problems, as already stated, here are my suggestions for always falling asleep within 10 minutes: Be really exhausted, have plenty of small kids, always get up early. Nothing helps you fall asleep quickly as being constantly sleep deprived. It is brilliant!

So true! I don't have kids but I work with them...a class of 10 1 to 2 year olds.  I am the lead teacher and it's a lot of work and my shift is 6:00 to 2:45. Exhausted is an understatement! 😁

Anyone else a habitual sleeptalker?

I don't tend to do it as much as I used to. But last night I dreamt that my husband cheated on me. I decided to stay with him, but distinctly remember asking him questions about it, then realised that he was asleep, and that I was dreaming, and that he hadn't had an affair, so my interrogation was pointless! 

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I average about 4 to 6 hours every night, it's not enough.

@Gracii Guns pregnancy dreams are mad. How is your sleeping? have you got one of those pregnancy body pillow things?

Do need to get up most nights to use the bathroom- but otherwise I'm ok. I used to only sleep on my right side, but since moving is such an effort now, I could be standing on my head and drift off! No pregnancy body pillow yet, but we have plenty of spare regular pillows if I do need a bit extra. Thanks for asking. :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, classicrawker said:

try melatonin as it is a natural hormone that the body produces to control sleep cycles...... I usually have no problem falling asleep but on those days I am wired I take between 3-6mg an hour before bedtime and it makes me sleepy.....you can buy it over the counter here in the US anywhere that sells vitamins.....works great for me and no next day grogginess as long as I get 6-7 hours sleep......

Ive had success wth melatonin too.  The way that you use it - only on days when youre wired is probably the safest way to use it.  I dont wanna be alarmist but since the body is supposed to produce its own (and given one takes it when the body isnt producing enough, in theory) there may be a risk that the body slows down production since its already being supplied.

What sucks for me is having multiple issues that each separately prevent good sleep.  Melatonin is a really good solution in general though.

Edited by soon

20 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I average about 4 to 6 hours every night, it's not enough.

Yeah, that sucks!  Thats not enough for me either.  Its to the point that when i luck out and get 6-7 hours I dont feel anymore rest because Im so behind.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2017 at 5:26 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Anyone else a habitual sleeptalker?

I don't tend to do it as much as I used to. But last night I dreamt that my husband cheated on me. I decided to stay with him, but distinctly remember asking him questions about it, then realised that he was asleep, and that I was dreaming, and that he hadn't had an affair, so my interrogation was pointless! 

I talk a lot in my sleep.  According to those who’ve heard i just say shit i said during the day or else sound like I’m having a go at someone, swearing and the like.

40 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well go on, tell us the fuckin dream! :lol:

Fleetwood Mac filmed a pop video in York. The sound guy turned out to be a bloke who I went dancing with. He gave me a thong wedgie. Then this other bloke I know from twitter showed up and apparently that was the snort-inducing hilarious bit. 

13 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Fleetwood Mac filmed a pop video in York. The sound guy turned out to be a bloke who I went dancing with. He gave me a thong wedgie. Then this other bloke I know from twitter showed up and apparently that was the snort-inducing hilarious bit. 

yeah, bit of a let down if i'm honest :lol:

• 2 months later...

Peculiar dream last night.

Was at what I believe was some sort of mountain biking competition somewhere near Newburgh (a village roughly 20 minutes drive from where I'm from).

For some reason you entered through some sort of clubhouse type building but then had to crawl through a tunnel with a very low ceiling.

Oddly when crawling through said tunnel, none other than Chris Jericho was coming the other way.

Borrowed his phone to contact a pal who was already there and then ended up keeping it as Y2J suddenly disappeared.

Took a while hunting him down to return it.

Coming out of the tunnel you had to come down a massive slide which for some reason led onto a golf course.

Slid down and bumped into an old pal from school who I haven't seen in years who seemed to be partaking in some sort of sponored walk. Oddly he was wearing a kilt and the 1997 St Johnstone away shirt (the teal & magenta affair) despite being a staunch Jambo.

Not quite sure what to make of it tbh.

Lakeland tart cherry juice concentrate (has a high potency of real melatonin), bone broth or bone broth collagen (vital proteins brand) a high end magnesium supplement, celery, raspberries, leafy greens, ashwagandha, are all good things to eat that help sleep especially if you eat them daily. 

2018 is my year to get back to sleep. I have started taking a melatonin/5htp supplement before bed. Two days in, it seems like my sleep is more peaceful, however I still take a long time to fall asleep (over one hour laying there often). I also bought a pair of blue-light blocking glasses to wear before bed if I am watching tv or using my tablet. Apparently, you can get a sustained release melatonin tablet. I wish I had known that before I opened this current bottle.

Fall back plan is whiskey. I seems to work well on the weekends.

32 minutes ago, Drakestar said:

2018 is my year to get back to sleep. I have started taking a melatonin/5htp supplement before bed. Two days in, it seems like my sleep is more peaceful, however I still take a long time to fall asleep (over one hour laying there often). I also bought a pair of blue-light blocking glasses to wear before bed if I am watching tv or using my tablet. Apparently, you can get a sustained release melatonin tablet. I wish I had known that before I opened this current bottle.

Fall back plan is whiskey. I seems to work well on the weekends.

Its my year to sleep too.  I have had success addressing the various things keeping me awake - other then asshole neighbour in apartment below me.  I am making plans to move.  What Ive found the most effective for me are tinctures (potent liquid extracts) of lemon balm and another of chamomile.  Usually 3-4 combined drops do it.... until 3:30 when its time for the neighbour to talk loudly on the phone, while watching tv.  At first I took the suggested 8 combined drops from the recipe I followed and had a brief psychedelic experience before I went on the nod and had opium dreams.  Gotta be careful with this stuff!  

I didnt know about those glasses.  Thanks for mentioning that.  Sounds useful.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@soon was there a typical brand of tinctures that you bought? I’ll be trying those next (amazon).

The melatonin isn’t doing anything. However, I think I need to really search out the time released ones. Costco didn’t have them so I just bought the Weber Naturals melatonin (with 5htp and something else(?)).

I am liking the glasses though. If nothing else it is something providing a physical cue to my psyche. 

I just can’t shut my brain off when I lay down.