2017 TRACII GUNS INTERVIEW: "Axl sang and I was like, 'Oh shit. Wow'."; "Izzy became a big part of the writing scenario"; "[Axl behavior] made it really not fun'"; "Izzy and Axl called, 'Look, we're gonna have Slash"

Interesting tales about Axl and Izzy straight from TRACII GUNS's mouth on this brand new October 2017 interview

hqdefault.jpg

"Izzy always told me Axl could sing and he was a great singer. But I didn't know until I saw him do a soundcheck. We were all playing together at Madame Wong's and Axl went up to soundcheck to test his mic. I was like, 'Oh, shit. Wow.' Then I knew."

"We did Guns N' Roses but we also did LA Guns. To me at that point before we did Guns N' Roses, our version of LA Guns was just minus Izzy. When we brought Izzy in, that became a big part of the writing scenario"

67913_0_wide_ver1507777748.jpg

"Axl was really separate from the rest of the band. He kinda showed up when he wanted; didn't say anything; and was mad that at one of the shows a friend of ours wasn't on the guest list. It didn't turn me against him or the band but it made it really not fun. It made it like, 'Man, what a drag. What a bummer.' "

laguns11.jpg

"Izzy called me with Axl and said, 'Look, we're just gonna have Slash come and play the show if you're not gonna show up.' I'm like, 'Whoa. Wait a minute.'"

135936405.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFB

FULL QUOTES RIGHT HERE = https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/tracii_guns_what_would_gnr_sound_like_had_i_stayed_in_the_band.html

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Don't even know how to react to this comment. I like Tracii but how could anyone wish that knowing what happened after. You're basically saying you wish Appetite and Illusions didn't exist because the only song they had before Slash, Steven and Duff joined was (a shitty version of) Anything Goes and Axl had November Rain.

Weirdest statement ever.

My comment wasn't as disrespectful as yours, that's how I see it.  I'm just curious how GN'R would've sounded with him. 

5 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

My comment wasn't disrespectful at all. If you're willing to throw away one of the greatest albums ever made out of curiosity, more power to you :shrugs:

Who said that I wanna throw AfD away. I just said that I wish that he could've stayed in GN'R a bit longer to get the chance of recording some material with them. 

I said nothing against AfD or UYI at all.

Edited by Sosso

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Who said that I wanna throw AfD away. I just said that I wish that he could've stayed in GN'R to get the chance of recording some material with them. 

I've said nothing against AfD or UYI at all.

You said "I wish he would have stayed".

Tracii stays --> Slash doesn't join --> Appetite never gets created

You can't have it both ways, it's one thing or the other.

Still, you can wish whatever you want, I just find it crazy. I wish Buckethead and Brain didn't leave until 2014 so Axl's band was a lot better than it was between 2006 and 2014 and I didn't even had to know about Frank Ferrer's existence. To each their own.

1 minute ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

You said "I wish he would have stayed".

Tracii stays --> Slash doesn't join --> Appetite never gets created

You can't have it both ways, it's one thing or the other.

Still, you can wish whatever you want, I just find it crazy. I wish Buckethead and Brain didn't leave until 2014 so Axl's band was a lot better than it was between 2006 and 2014 and I didn't even had to know about Frank Ferrer's existence. To each their own.

But it was still more than enough time until 1987 to release a small EP with Tracii or something. Something similar to the debut EP from L.A. Guns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gackt said:

GnR with Tracii instead of Slash throughout the 80's would've been a curious thing, honestly.  Nothing wrong with some "what if?" speculation, with how many drastic changes have happened to the band.

That's what I'm talking about. Bascially their whole history gives room for “What if?“ speculations.

Edited by Sosso

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

But it was still more than enough time until 1987 to release a small EP with Tracii or something. Something similar to the debut EP from L.A. Guns.

Hmm, I don't think so since they wrote Appetite throughout that period. Personally, I'm not a fan of what Axl was doing prior to GNR, it was all like some weird punk metal to me. I love his voice on that song 'rocker', though.

16 minutes ago, Gackt said:

GnR with Tracii instead of Slash throughout the 80's would've been a curious thing, honestly.  Nothing wrong with some "what if?" speculation, with how many drastic changes have happened to the band.

This is the band of the "what ifs", endless room for speculation with them. Wondering and wishing are different things to me, though.

33 minutes ago, soon said:

I like all the fact that their are the Tracii Guns and all in the GNR landscape so that theres always some GNR related tours and albums.  Like when Gilby and Tracii do something - its just cool to check out. 

Gilby is working on a new record. This is the closest thing we'll get to a new GNR record :rofl-lol:

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Gilby is working on a new record. This is the closest thing we'll get to a new GNR record :rofl-lol:

We gotta take what we can get as GNR fans :lol:

I like a lot of his stuff and it sounds like he wants to make this next album count.  Im looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, soon said:

I like all the fact that their are the Tracii Guns and all in the GNR landscape so that theres always some GNR related tours and albums.  Like when Gilby and Tracii do something - its just cool to check out. 

Indeed. I really like the stuff they did together. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If Tracii stayed in the band and Slash never joined I guarantee that Guns N’ Roses would’ve been seen as another shitty hair band that would’ve died by the late 80’s. Slash with Axl is pretty much what made Guns N’ Roses.

Nope. Axl and Izzy were the main songwriters on AfD.

But what exactly is the reason why you talk in such a negative way about Tracii? 

Edited by Sosso

40 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If Tracii stayed in the band and Slash never joined I guarantee that Guns N’ Roses would’ve been seen as another shitty hair band that would’ve died by the late 80’s. Slash with Axl is pretty much what made Guns N’ Roses.

Agred.

• Like 1