Chinese Democracy solo from Buckethead (Boston 2002)

35 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

ok but do you know he took the riff from.......Slash ???? will try to find the vidéo ;)

The riff is too generic to say it's inspired from a 1988 concert, and never routinely performed later on :P

3 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I thought and think Bucket was a cool addition. Robin was a weird dude too but I didn't mind. My only lineup gripe was the whole 3 guitar player thing. I hated that. 

A lot of band have three guitarists. Iron Maiden for example.

8 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

My only lineup gripe was the whole 3 guitar player thing. I hated that. 

Completely agreed; this would have made for a killer line-up at the time:

• Axl
  • Buckethead
  • Fortus
  • Duff
  • Brain
  • Dizzy

Tommy Stinson had long outstayed his welcome in the band, in my opinion.  In the band for almost two decades and may as well have contributed nothing.

47 minutes ago, Gackt said:

• Axl
  • Buckethead
  • Fortus
  • Duff
  • Brain
  • Dizzy

Tommy Stinson had long outstayed his welcome in the band, in my opinion.  In the band for almost two decades and may as well have contributed nothing.

I'm not sure how involved he was creatively with Chinese but it appears he helped assist with running the Axl-less rehearsals. Didn't him and Del basically bully Bucket, Ron, Finck, and Brain? I don't think even Paul Huge was spared. It seems like Tommy had no respect for anyone who was "below" him in status/record sales. Heard he was basically working a 9-5 job prior to the Guns gig - didn't seem like there was much going on with his music career at the time.

27 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I'm not sure how involved he was creatively with Chinese but it appears he helped assist with running the Axl-less rehearsals. Didn't him and Del basically bully Bucket, Ron, Finck, and Brain? I don't think even Paul Huge was spared. It seems like Tommy had no respect for anyone who was "below" him in status/record sales. Heard he was basically working a 9-5 job prior to the Guns gig - didn't seem like there was much going on with his music career at the time.

One of Stinson's nicknames was General, presumably given to him by Axl; story goes that Stinson & Del James were dicks to most people backstage, and made conditions that much worse for everyone already frustrated with Axl having zero presence with the band outside of shows.

For all the time he spent with the band, I can't name one positive thing he did for GNR besides stepping down so Duff can jump back in.

2 minutes ago, Gackt said:

One of Stinson's nicknames was General, presumably given to him by Axl; story goes that Stinson & Del James were dicks to most people backstage, and made conditions that much worse for everyone already frustrated with Axl having zero presence with the band outside of shows.

For all the time he spent with the band, I can't name one positive thing he did for GNR besides stepping down so Duff can jump back in.

Yeah - sounds pretty close to what I've heard over the years. I never much cared for him either. Always seemed like a complete dick with an inflated ego. He dressed like a total douche onstage too. No wonder him and Axl were so tight. Can't wrap my head around how this guy had the balls to bully a powerhouse of talent like Buckethead. The height of absurdness. 

3 hours ago, Gackt said:

• Axl
  • Buckethead
  • Fortus
  • Duff
  • Brain
  • Dizzy

Of all those guys, the one who contributed nothing at all was Fortus. I'd keep Robin over him.

It truly sucks that Tommy was bullying Bucket, I would punch him for that. At the same time, though, it's awesome that he bullied that asshole Paul Huge :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Of all those guys, the one who contributed nothing at all was Fortus. I'd keep Robin over him.

It truly sucks that Tommy was bullying Bucket, I would punch him for that. At the same time, though, it's awesome that he bullied that asshole Paul Huge :lol:

I'd put Fortus a little higher than Stinson in terms of relevance because he does a good job with solo spots in the NITL tour, and seems to have a lot of potential as a performer..otherwise yeah, I'd have no issues swapping him out for a different axeman.  Robin's a good pick also, just hard to imagine him ever sticking with GNR in a different timeline for the long term, and not bouncing between them and Nine Inch Nails.  :P

So I'll change my 2002 perfect line-up to..Axl, Bucket, Dizzy, Brain, Duff & Gilby

4 hours ago, Gackt said:

I'd put Fortus a little higher than Stinson in terms of relevance because he does a good job with solo spots in the NITL tour, and seems to have a lot of potential as a performer..otherwise yeah, I'd have no issues swapping him out for a different axeman.  Robin's a good pick also, just hard to imagine him ever sticking with GNR in a different timeline for the long term, and not bouncing between them and Nine Inch Nails.  :P

So I'll change my 2002 perfect line-up to..Axl, Bucket, Dizzy, Brain, Duff & Gilby

I think Richard used to do a hell of a job prior to the "reunion" tour, but everything he does now feels out of place and "wrong" to me.

I like this line-up better and it increases the chances of Dead Flowers being played, we're not getting enough covers right now! :lol:

7 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I think Richard used to do a hell of a job prior to the "reunion" tour, but everything he does now feels out of place and "wrong" to me.

I like this line-up better and it increases the chances of Dead Flowers being played, we're not getting enough covers right now! :lol:

He's basically the New Coke version of Izzy for this tour

21 hours ago, Gackt said:

From what I've heard from people who know Buckethead, Tommy was a "love him or hate him" kind of guy. Apparently Robin, Josh, Dizzy and Richard really liked him. Buckethead and Bumblefoot were not so keen on him. . I don't know how he got along with DJ, but I see that they have chatted a few times over Twitter since they left the band. Brain thought he was annoying, but put up with his shit and thought his attempts to control things were funny. In that interview Brain did a few years back, he mentioned how during his first rehearsal, Tommy gave him a lot of shit, and the whole time Brain was thinking "you motherfucker." 

Although I do not agree with the way Tommy treated Buckethead, I can understand why Tommy did not like Buckethead. Tommy comes from a punk/alt-rock background, and probably found Buckethead's whole shtick the complete opposite of that scene. I love Buckethead (loved him before he joined Guns N' Roses), but acknowledge he was not for everyone. 

I do know Tommy's drinking causes problems with just about every band he has every played with. I've told this story before, but a friend of mine in Atlanta worked at a festival where The Replacements played in 2014. Tommy apparently showed up so drunk he could hardly stand, and the festival organizers and band legitimately worried about whether he could stand up, much less play a whole show. To his credit, they said he rallied about 10 minutes before taking stage and ended up being one of the most solid members of the group. 

Tommy worked for a brief period as a telemarketer before joining Guns N' Roses. No matter what you think of his role in Guns N' Roses, he seems to be very humble regarding his role in the band, gives Axl props for taking a chance on him, and acknowledges that getting to play with Guns N' Roses let him stay in the music business when it appeared all other avenues had dried up. Additionally, he never seemed threatened by letting Duff take the stage, whether it was when Duff played "You Could Be Mine" in 2010 or when Duff took over for a part of the South American tour in 2014. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs