Walking Papers (Duff's other side project): WP2 album due January

And can I just say the lyrics to this song are pretty interesting?  

I hide in the shadows of my bad decisions.  Axl would like that line.  ;)

She's a first light in the distance.  

She's a pair of jumper cables on a heart that wouldn't start - that's actually very Tom Petty-ish.  

Thanks for posting this @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle. I've recently joined the forum and have mostly been lurking in the women's thread. But, I saw that WP is doing presales for their new record and that inspired me to poke around the rest of the forum to see if anyone else was following.

Duff talked about how much he enjoyed touring in the van with WP before so he may want to tour with them in the new year. Yet another indication that GnR may not be doing anything in the studio after NITL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

Thanks for posting this @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle. I've recently joined the forum and have mostly been lurking in the women's thread. But, I saw that WP is doing presales for their new record and that inspired me to poke around the rest of the forum to see if anyone else was following.

Duff talked about how much he enjoyed touring in the van with WP before so he may want to tour with them in the new year. Yet another indication that GnR may not be doing anything in the studio after NITL

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad that Duff's activities enticed you out of lurking. :hahafyou:  I can see Duff touring in the new year, too.

My opinion differs from the majority in that I don't think all the various side projects will be a barrier to GNR making new music.  Certainly not where Duff and Slash are concerned - those two have been juggling multiple musical demands for years, ever since before either of them left GNR.  So they're used to it.  

There is a question mark above Axl, of course, but again, unlike everyone else I think Axl might prove everyone wrong this time around.  He's clearly not in the same circumstances as he was for the making of CD.  He seems happier and in good spirits and he has Slash back, which means he might be inspired these days.  With Axl, inspiration is everything.  If he's inspired, he'll create.  I have a hunch that they've been making new music while they've been on the road.  Duff already has - twice over.  I'm hoping they'll use the 6 months off to put the finishes touches on.  Managing my expectations, but still hoping. ;)

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, frenchie87 said:

Thought some would be interested in this announcement, and can make the performance. Interested to see what happens. However I noticed that they left Duff out of the "featuring" section of who will be in the band. I wonder why since this is a local gig for him.

Hes to busy counting the dollar bills to attend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, frenchie87 said:

Thought some would be interested in this announcement, and can make the performance. Interested to see what happens. However I noticed that they left Duff out of the "featuring" section of who will be in the band. I wonder why since this is a local gig for him.

One must be inclined to think that if Duff doesn't show for this gig there MUST be some GNR cooking....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frenchie87 said:

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come on a future WP tour. Unless, Duff is busy cooking up some new GnR material, in which case all is forgiven.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this @frenchie87   I haven't been keeping up with the Duff news lately, being busy with work and the lead up to Christmas etc..so your post is much appreciated. 

How strange to not feature his name and as you say, if it's a local gig, I can't imagine why he couldn't spare the time to appear - even if he is doing something GNR related?  Can't begin to guess at what's going on with GNR lately, it's all too mysterious. ;)

Edit: actually just realised he isn't in Seattle atm is he?  Duff is currently staying in LA...along with Slash and Axl...hmm...:ph34r:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

No he is not in Seattle atm, unless he just flew in since his last twitter post. He said he was in TN the other night and went to see the play "Hamilton" with his family this week too but I don't know where (NYC/LA?) @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

Yeah, even if they are working on GNR material, you would think he could take a weekend off and perform that night and come back to LA on Sunday. The only thing I could think is if something is happening around that time that is more important.  hummm.... I know the Grammy's are on January 28th in NYC, but that is highly unlikely, right?

21 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

Going from LA to Seattle is no big deal, even just for the day. Not participating is a deliberate choice. Could be he has a personal or GnR scheduling conflict or could be something else entirely. :question:

Ah...thanks for that info.  Not being from the US, I didn't know if getting from LA to Seattle for a night was doable, so turns out it is.  Which makes his non-appearance even stranger. :ph34r:

21 hours ago, frenchie87 said:

No he is not in Seattle atm, unless he just flew in since his last twitter post. He said he was in TN the other night and went to see the play "Hamilton" with his family this week too but I don't know where (NYC/LA?) @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

Yeah, even if they are working on GNR material, you would think he could take a weekend off and perform that night and come back to LA on Sunday. The only thing I could think is if something is happening around that time that is more important.  hummm.... I know the Grammy's are on January 28th in NYC, but that is highly unlikely, right?

If GNR make an appearance at the Grammy's that will certainly surprise everyone!  Can't see them doing that, but you never know.  Can you imagine if they did and performed a new song? :dance:

• Like 1

From the blabbermouth article:  

"This record has exceeded my expectations of what I thought that might be," says Angell. "It perfectly captures the raw, explosive energy of a band primed from extensive touring while at the same time achieving the polish and elevation that comes from experimenting in the studio."

So they plan lots of touring.  If Duffs missing first show and has GNR in 6 months, is it safe to bet Duff wont be doing any WP touring?  

3 minutes ago, soon said:

From the blabbermouth article:  

"This record has exceeded my expectations of what I thought that might be," says Angell. "It perfectly captures the raw, explosive energy of a band primed from extensive touring while at the same time achieving the polish and elevation that comes from experimenting in the studio."

So they plan lots of touring.  If Duffs missing first show and has GNR in 6 months, is it safe to bet Duff wont be doing any WP touring?  

I cannot for the life of me, figure out what would prevent Duff from touring with WP in this down time.  He loves to tour, he loves to play, he helped make the album...there could be very few things stopping him unless it was something pretty important.  The only think I can think of is something GNR related.

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I cannot for the life of me, figure out what would prevent Duff from touring with WP in this down time.  He loves to tour, he loves to play, he helped make the album...there could be very few things stopping him unless it was something pretty important.  The only think I can think of is something GNR related.

I hope so.  If WP does extensive touring it sounds like Duff will miss some of it while Guns tour next?  

• 3 weeks later...

New Jeff Angell interview

http://crypticrock.com/interview-jeff-angell-talks-return-walking-papers/

Duff/GNR related talk:

CrypticRock.com – (Laughs) Now, Walking Papers continued touring through 2014 and then everyone went on to other respective projects. In the time apart, did everyone keep the lines of communication open that Walking Papers would in fact be back?

Jeff Angell – Well, we made another record and we were ready to put it out, and Guns N’ Roses took over. I can’t blame Duff, but it kind of stood in the way of us putting out the record. We thought we would get back to it, but it just kept going. He was contractually obligated to do that. Since I was there knowing that was going on, I did a Staticland record, I toured that twice in the United States and twice in Europe. I was then contractually binded to that, so we had to wait for that contract to be up. Now we can finally release the record. The record was actually hot on the heels of those two tours, but kind of a secret stuck there for two years of us not being able to do anything with it. 

About touring this year:

CrypticRock.com –  With new music set for release January 19th, can we expect to see Walking Papers hit the road again soon?

Jeff Angell – Yea, we are doing the record release show here in Seattle on January 27th at The Crocodile. Then we are going to do some other shows. I can see emails and offers coming in. We are going to be doing something. I think we are going to do something where no one’s really going to know what they are going to get, every time we are going to be doing something a little bit different. That is how we are going to be arranging the shows, who’s playing, and how we are going about it. 

Edited by fernandoGNR
  • Thanks 3

On ‎21‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 2:46 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

He's been touring constantly for a long time. Maybe he simply wants some time off from touring, to relax and be with his family? I know I would have.

• Like 1