The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Science is happy to just say "we don't know" without having to believe.

I understand that and it’s what makes science so important.  It’s what makes scientists continue to search for answers.  

Edited by Kasanova King

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

They found computer binary code in the fabric of the universe? I don't believe you.

I bet you're looking at something science has discovered and arrogantly interpreting and insisting it is evidence for your dogmatic beliefs.

Well, you’re mistaken.  Go back up a few posts and watch the video.   

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

No, I'm not mistaken. I was right on the money. You're trying to interpret and cobble together a conclusion, arrogantly.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: "So you're saying as you dig deeper you find computer code writ in the fabric of the cosmos?!"

James Gates: "In the equations(in string theory) we want to use to describe the cosmos, yes."

I stated that they found computer code in the fabric of the universe.  How does a supposedly ‘man made’ code get there? 

34 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

They found computer binary code in the fabric of the universe? I don't believe you.

I bet you're looking at something science has discovered and arrogantly interpreting and insisting it is evidence for your dogmatic beliefs.

it's a scientific fact, and it's explained in a video by a respected physicist

by this point, you're just trolling (especially that last sentence of your post)

• Like 1

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Neil deGrasse Tyson: "So you're saying as you dig deeper you find computer code writ in the fabric of the cosmos?!"

James Gates: "In the equations(in string theory) we want to use to describe the cosmos, yes."

Exactly.  Quantum physics/string theory uses math to interpret the universe.  When they find a binary code it means mathematically, it’s a part of the universe.  Do you not understand that? 

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

So you disagree with James Tour when he says that chemists really don’t have an explanation or  know how those early molecules came together to form life:  He says anyone who says it’s ‘been worked out’ is basically full of crap. 

The man's a creationist wingnut associated with The Discovery Institute. I wouldn't take his contribution to this topic very seriously.

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Exactly.  And it’s been found embedded into the fabric of our Universe.  There you go.

There I go where? That designers have mimicked certain principles from nature? Should this blow my mind? Or are you actually saying that since you can find similarities between a manmade thing (computers) and the universe, it must mean that the universe is also designed by some sentient creature? 

So you disagree with James Tour when he says that chemists really don’t have an explanation or  know how those early molecules came together to form life:  He says anyone who says it’s ‘been worked out’ is basically full of crap. 

I have already stated that we don't know exactly how it happened. We have lots of possible theories favored by various scientists. But they all agree that abiogenesis is scientifically sound.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There I go where? That designers have mimicked certain principles from nature? Should this blow my mind? Or are you actually saying that since you can find similarities between a manmade thing (computers) and the universe, it must mean that the universe is also designed by some sentient creature? 

Binary code was initially developed in 1679.  So unless they had a time machine that took them to 2016 and they decided to copy Gates’ discovery, then no, designers did not ‘copy’ something that is naturally occurring in nature.

And this is not just a ‘similarity’.  It’s an actual binary code made up of 0’s and 1’s.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Your beliefs are a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only genuine discussion and honesty in this thread is coming from the side of myself, Soulie, Dazey etc. Wasted energy.

If you use mathematics to interpret/describe, for example Edgar Allan Poe's poems, does that suddenly mean Poe was a mathematician writing out maths/code? No. At most you could choose to look through the lens/filter of mathematics and proclaim "I'm choosing to look through this lens/filter and theorize I'm correct in doing so and decide to have faith this lens/filter is the only possible way." That's using a subject matter which we factually know(unless we descend a philosophical rabbit hole) was intelligently designed, by Poe. So the idea you could stagger up to the podium intellectually shitting yourself and 'prove' that the entire universe is definitely intelligently designed is putting the cart before the horse to put it mildly.

No bud.  When a theorist states he found a computer code in the fabric of the universe, it means the universe could not exist without it.  It means it’s a part of the universe according to string theory.  String theory is widely accepted as being the front runner in quantum theory of the universe.  

I used the word ‘interpretation’ to simplify it.  But basically, if he found binary code in string theory, it means it’s a very real part of our universe. 

As far as Soulie goes, I went into depth to show him that his spontaneous assembly theory was mathematically impossible.  

Have you ever had an old riesling wine with plenty of small crystals at the bottom of the bottle? "Weinstein", as they are called by Germans (=wine rocks). Also called tartrate crystals. These are spontaneously formed after the bottling. Basically minerals in the wine starts to crystallize in the presence of tartaric acid found in the wine and slowly precipitate into crystals. Small mineral molecules combine to form extremely large and complex lattice works.

There is nothing principally different in how Weinstein is formed and how monomers of nucleotides may come together and form RNA, or amino acids may spontaneously combine to form peptides. Just different building blocks. But the process is the same. 

In all of these cases we are talking about 1000s of individual atoms that come together in highly complex, and occasionally ordered, molecules. The probability of this happening if you took the atoms separately and clashed them together is close to zero. But of course that it not how it happens. It happens through incremental steps of adding atom/molecules to existing atoms/molecules where each step is statistically favorable. In fact, it happens with such an amount of certainty you couldn't prevent crystals forming if you, say, saturated water with sugar. It's chemistry. Not magics. It is a natural process. Not something that requires god. 

So spontaneously assembly is not mathematically impossible. Nothing that actually happens in? ;) Unless you don't understand what is happening and apply the maths incorrectly, that is.

9 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Binary code was initially developed in 1679.  So unless they had a time machine that took them to 2016 and they decided to copy Gates’ discovery, then no, designers did not ‘copy’ something that is naturally occurring in nature.

And this is not just a ‘similarity’.  It’s an actual binary code made up of 0’s and 1’s.

Binary code? Are you saying that the concept of using only two symbols to communicate was a discovery that came from nature? That no human mind could think of the concept of a binary system before it was discovered in the natural world? That we were familiar with other number systems, like base 10, base 12, base 60, but that the binary system was eluding us and had to be inspired from nature? That the concept of either-or was so philosophically advanced that it didn't dawn on us before it had been found in nature? Wow, just wow. :lol:

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Binary code? Are you saying that the concept of using only two symbols to communicate was a discovery that came from nature? That no human mind could think of the concept of a binary system before it was discovered in the natural world? That we were familiar with other number systems, like base 10, base 12, base 60, but that the binary system was eluding us and had to be inspired from nature? That the concept of either-or was so philosophically advanced that it didn't dawn on us before it had been found in nature? Wow, just wow. :lol:

I don’t think you understand.  It was a complex algorithm, that is used in modern day search engines that was found interwoven within the fabric of the cosmos.  It wasn’t just a few 0’s and 1’s.  It was a code  that search engines use. 

No one in quantum theory has an answer for this yet.  So unless you have them all beat, you would be the first. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Bingo :) He has seen a video where a scientist claimed that he had found something that resembles computation in how subatomic particles behave. Something that suggests that reality itself is programmed. For some reason, he moves in mysterious ways, Kasanova have concluded that since we human can program computers, it must mean that god exists.

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

"Nuh-uh! Santa's real I I I heard about him and and and there's some sleigh tracks in the snow and and and lotsa reasons! *hisses*" - KK

Honestly it's like talking to a brick wall for fuck sake.

Bud, please do some research into quantum physics and string theory.  Maybe you can get a better grasp of what @action and I are trying to explain to you.  This isn’t some ‘fairy tale’ discovery.  It’s a very real part of quantum string theory. 

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I don’t think you understand.  It was a complex algorithm, that is used in modern day search engines that was found interwoven within the fabric of the cosmos.  It wasn’t just a few 0’s and 1’s.  It was a code  that search engines use. 

No, it wasn't. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-actual-string-of-computer-code-that-they-apparently-found-in-string-theory-Does-this-mean-that-were-in-a-simulation

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Bingo :) He has seen a video where a scientist claimed that he had found something that resembles computation in how subatomic particles behave. Something that suggests that reality itself is programmed. For some reason, he moves in mysterious ways, Kasanova have concluded that since we human can program computers, it must mean that god exists.

I never said that.  I said this just adds to “evidence” of intelligent design.   

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Bud, please do some research into quantum physics and string theory. 

Really? One guy on a guns n' roses forum asked another guy to "do some more research into quantum physics and string theory" :lol: Hands up anyone here with a PhD in quantum mechanics. No one? So none of us actually knows this shit? Well, then I will continue to go with what scientists say and not with Kasanova's interpretation of what one scientist has said.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Translation: please get riled up and rant/post more. :lol:

I have nothing but love and respect for vipassana and the people who teach it. I know you're joking but what you describe is not vipassana. I wish it were though that'd be great/easy af.

with all due respect, but I have a hard time taking anyone serious, who lectures people on how ridiculous their belief is (among other horrible names), while practising some obscure sect like "vipassana". Then, you go on to challenge scientific findings by a physicist. Is that what they do at vipassana HQ? ridicule scientists that you can't comprehend?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Really? One guy on a guns n' roses forum asked another guy to "do some more research into quantum physics and string theory" :lol: Hands up anyone here with a PhD in quantum mechanics. No one? So none of us actually knows this shit? Well, then I will continue to go with what scientists say and not with Kasanova's interpretation of what one scientist has said.

I meant to get a basic understanding of it so he could understand what was discovered. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

so you're saying, you want to challenge scientific findings, with no backing at all?

my god, is this place ever a shambles :facepalm: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Don’t quote some random poster from Quora. 

It’s “self fixing” mathematical algorithm that modern day search engines use.   There’s a next to zero probability  that it could occur randomly in nature.  

I never said that.  I said this just adds to “evidence” of intelligent design.   

Only if something really was found in nature that couldn't have gotten there without being designed by an intelligent creator. And the fact that one publication implies that there are similarities between our understanding of quantum mechanics and how search engines work, is not evidence for that. Sometimes things are similar not because they have both been made by an intelligent creator, nor because of coincidence, but because they have to be that way.

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I meant to get a basic understanding of it so he could understand what was discovered. 

Like you have? You have a basic understanding og quantum mechanics and string theory? I will be the first to admit I don't. And I have taken a few physics courses at university and have a degree in mathematics.

Don’t quote some random poster from Quora. 

It’s “self fixing” mathematical algorithm that modern day search engines use.   There’s a next to zero probability  that it could occur randomly in nature.  

Why is it next to zero possibility for us humans creating a system that mimics something that already exists in nature? I mean, if the code is supposed to have a specific purpose, and have been optimized for that, why is it impossible for you to fathom that it could then end up similar to something in nature? Have you ever heard of convergent evolution? No, I didn't think so.