IZZY STRADLIN (and MATT SORUM) show up at movie festival in Palm Springs

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

of course its not all fun and games

if my memory is not playing games on me, izzy mentioned something like how great it was the rush he had (how he felt great) to be onstage again when he joined GNR axls band in the previous tours

flea, on the other side, has been touring nonstop for what, 30-some years? i suppose it is much harder for him to embark on a 1-2 years world tour in 2016 ("oh shit, here we go again") than it would be for someone like izzy ("wow, this could be fun").

I dont think izzy would feel that tired (or jaded or bored) as flea because it would all be somehow "fresh" and "new" to him at this point

i agree with you, none of us know why izzy isnt part of this tour and i agree with you that money most likely isnt the only (or the main) reason

but i suppose it has nothing to do with izzy not touring in the last 25 years.

and it has everything to do with Axl and Slash not willing to deal with izzy

Maybe. I really can't know and I don't want to continue with speculating because that's all that happens around this forum, it seems.

But I do think there is a reason for Izzy not to tour, otherwise he would have done that sometime in the last 25 years. I know he did guest spots and he did a bunch of shows under his own name, but he hasn't gone out there to do a real tour since 92 or 93. I think it's difficult when you've been the boss of the system for so many years, to give that up and become part of such a huge machine again and losing control. I'm not saying he couldn't do that anymore, although there's a great quote of him where he talked about travelling with nu-GnR for a few weeks and that he needed weeks to recuperate from that, but if he got in shape then I'm sure he could pull it off again, but mentally it's a whole different story. It's like having a boss again after many years of being your own boss, that's tough. I'm sure money is part of it... when we're talking about millions of dollars, money is always part of it.

I think that touring and being out on the road is never easy... being in a different country every other day, different hotel, not seeing family, not sleeping and eating well, all of that can't be easy, even if you have enough money to make it as easy as possible. But I'm not saying that is the reason why Izzy hasn't done any touring for almost three decades.

1 minute ago, Derick said:

Did you know that this big money that they are doing on this tour is because Slash is back with Axl on stage and not just because the songs? The money these old songs could make was already made a long time ago after AFD and Illusions tours...Now what is attracting all this money is the possibility of seeing Slash back to Guns N'Roses. That's what's selling tickets, not the songs themselves. Do you believe that if you changed Slash to Izzy this tour would be equally successful?

oh really?

people are paying to see axl and slash together?

No!

Seriously?

I had no idea!

thanks so much for sharing that precious info!

you know, this brand new info got my head spinning and i have so much questions flying through my mind right now...

is that because Axl and Slash are the central-figures in all GNR videos and he casual GNR fan has no idea who izzy is?!

is that because the casual fan has no idea how important izzy is to the band as a songwriter and as a player?!

could it be that?

Please let me know!

oh, and did you know that one direction and justin bieber also make zilions of money without izzy? do you know its possible to make huge, huge money without izzy?

yes, its proven! izzy is completely dispensable when your goal is to make money on a tour!

isnt that why bands tour?

so fuck izzy!

===

oh, and thanks so much for sharing this AMAZING BREAKING NEWS that "The money these old songs could make was already made a long time ago after AFD and Illusions tours"

I was most certain and convinced that people were paying hundreds of dollars to watch Axl and Slash play old GNR songs!

But i must be mistaken!

So they are actually paying hundreds of dollars to listen to the new songs?

To listen to the Axl songs?

To listen to the new covers?

Please give more details!

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Maybe. I really can't know and I don't want to continue with speculating because that's all that happens around this forum, it seems.

But I do think there is a reason for Izzy not to tour, otherwise he would have done that sometime in the last 25 years. I know he did guest spots and he did a bunch of shows under his own name, but he hasn't gone out there to do a real tour since 92 or 93. I think it's difficult when you've been the boss of the system for so many years, to give that up and become part of such a huge machine again and losing control. I'm not saying he couldn't do that anymore, although there's a great quote of him where he talked about travelling with nu-GnR for a few weeks and that he needed weeks to recuperate from that, but if he got in shape then I'm sure he could pull it off again, but mentally it's a whole different story. It's like having a boss again after many years of being your own boss, that's tough. I'm sure money is part of it... when we're talking about millions of dollars, money is always part of it.

I think that touring and being out on the road is never easy... being in a different country every other day, different hotel, not seeing family, not sleeping and eating well, all of that can't be easy, even if you have enough money to make it as easy as possible. But I'm not saying that is the reason why Izzy hasn't done any touring for almost three decades.

fair points

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Derick said:

Now what is attracting all this money is the possibility of seeing Slash back to Guns N'Roses....

....playing those old songs. Without them there is nothing to see. This tour would have been done, had they only played CD, Slash and Duff solo songs. Everything is based on these old songs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Derick said:

Did you know that this big money that they are doing on this tour is because Slash is back with Axl on stage and not just because the songs? The money these old songs could make was already made a long time ago after AFD and Illusions tours...Now what is attracting all this money is the possibility of seeing Slash back to Guns N'Roses. That's what's selling tickets, not the songs themselves. Do you believe that if you changed Slash to Izzy this tour would be equally successful?

Well, it looks like someone else besides Axl does not like dealing with power sharing...From a Izzy´s interview..Not guessing over here:

"Before you spoke of the process of composition in Guns N' Roses. Since then, Slash became an icon, thanks to his attitude, his image and his style as a guitarist. Nevertheless, we who followed GN'R from the beginning, know that you were one of the main composers of the band. How would you describe the way you worked with Axl and Slash in those years? 

Izzy: “There was a chemistry there that worked well. Sometimes, our way of work was slow and difficult, if I compare it to what I do now, but the main thing was that the results were very good. Now, everything is easier for me. It’s much simpler to write for my band. Now I don’t have to discuss it with two other people whenever I write something." "

and whats new?

slash and duff have given similar quotes when asked about how it felt to write solo albums

it would be fair to say that EVERY ARTIST who has ever been in a band situation and then went to write/record a solo album felt very much like that

===

what you are likely missing in izzys quote is that he says that "the main thing was that the results were very good"

by that he probably means "yeah, it was hard, but it was worthy and rewarding"

and that probably means that he would be open to do it again

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

....playing those old songs. Without them there is nothing to see. This tour would have been done, had they only played CD, Slash and Duff solo songs. Everything is based on these old songs.

exactly

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

agree, they dont really fit that well but this is a nice song after all...

if this was a GNR track they probably would work a bit harder on the tom-tom section to get a better and proper crescendo (1:58 to 2:50) but, yeah, they probably did this pretty fast so its all good :headbang:

Even though I like the tom tom part, I feel that Matt is playing really restrained.  He always rocks parts like that, on 5 O'clock Somewhere he's a beast on the tom toms.  Gnr definitely would have brought it out more.  Glad to know there are others who dig the track :headbang:

23 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I'm not sure why Izzy would have to sell his shares in the band when he left, but Slash and Duff didn't when they left. I think Izzy did it willingly. In large part because he didn't want to deal with the lawsuits and legal shit that came with being in that band. He said that he was paid part of GnR's shares until 1997, which at the time probably seemed like a great deal. Izzy knew better then anyone that the odds of the band lasting until 1997 weren't good. Frankly the odds of Slash or Duff being alive in 1997 weren't that great. He just made a short sighted business deal.  

Here's an interview with Fortus, of all people, talking about Izzy. 

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2015/07/27/richard-fortus-discusses-guns-n-roses-future-playing-with-izzy-stradlin-the-dead-daisies-revolucion-and-more/

I kind of assumed that this was true. If Izzy had any interest in being in a touring rock band- he'd be doing it. He would have done it sometime in the last 25 years. He has the means, he has the connections, he's well respected.  

To me the biggest sign that he had no interest in being a full time member of this band in the long term is that he obviously didn't bother to get any management in 2016. No business manager would have let him flounder the way he did when he first went on Twitter and with Rolling Stone, specifically. And in order to be part of GnR INC at this point, you need some sort of management. They are a corporation. A machine.  

the fact that izzy didnt tour on the last 25 years has nothing to do with him wanting (or not wanting) to tour with a reunited GNR

touring solo is one thing

touring with GNR is a whole another story

it may actually be the other way around

the fact that izzy didnt tour for so long actually may be a motivating-factor for him to be willing to tour again with GNR

like doing that for one more (last?) time, coming full circle, closing this chapter of his life, etc etc etc

and don not forget that ricky is an interested part on this matter

Edited by ludurigan

18 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

But i must be mistaken!

So they are actually paying hundreds of dollars to listen to the new songs?

To listen to the Axl songs?

To listen to the new covers?

Please give more details!

You´re mistaken a lot of things, buddy...But anyway, yeah people are paying all this money to watch Axl and Slash play these old songs together and this is a condition without which it would not be possible to make this tour so successful. Take off Slash from the band and put Izzy in his place...Same old songs but now Axl and Izzy, no Slash..Did you believe it's gonna be as successful as the current tour? You can crying all day long but things are as they are.

24 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Wrong! Everything is based on those old songs played by Axl and Slash, without exception. In this context, without this combo there is nothing to see.

2 minutes ago, Derick said:

You´re mistaken a lot of things, buddy...But anyway, yeah people are paying all this money to watch Axl and Slash play these old songs together and this is a condition without which it would not be possible to make this tour so successful. Take off Slash from the band and put Izzy in his place...Same old songs but now Axl and Izzy, no Slash..Did you believe it's gonna be as successful as the current tour? You can crying all day long but things are as they are.

oh, so now the songs are important?

you changed your mind pretty quick!

that was a fast adjustment, congrats!

:rofl-lol:

===

about the money, ticket sales, yeah... this tour so successful... that is what it is all about huh?

making money, keeping the brand and the partnership strong!

so fun!

===

oh, and please remind me who wants a band with Axl and Izzy and without Slash!

not me!

3 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

oh, so now the songs are important?

you changed your mind pretty quick!

that was a fast adjustment, congrats!

Hey buddy! I dare you to show me where I said the songs are not important. I'll be here waiting for you, after that we'll keep talking...

20 hours ago, Derick said:

Woww..It´s from about 17 years ago Ronin.

marc canter said recently (i guess it was about 2 years ago when everyone knew the GNR reunion this tour was happening) that izzy was into reuniting the GNR lineup the last time he (marc) talked to izzy (which would be 7 or 8 years ago if my memory is correct)

izzy was going to the hall of fame for the GNR induction in 2012 and bailed out at the last minute because axl decided not to go

marc canter said izzy was there in 1996 (or whenever) when apparently there was brief tentative of a reunion

izzy and duff wrote songs and sent to axl on likely more than one occasion over the years

there are lots of other KNOWN occasions that indicates izzy was willing to get involved if GNR ever got back together

there may be more that none of us has any idea of

"do your research mate" as @RONIN put so well

13 minutes ago, Derick said:

Hey buddy! I dare you to show me where I said the songs are not important. I'll be here waiting for you, after that we'll keep talking...

what is attracting all this money is the possibility of seeing Slash back to Guns N'Roses. That's what's selling tickets, not the songs themselves

your words!

I also like how "selling tickets" seems to be the most important thing to you!

12 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

what is attracting all this money is the possibility of seeing Slash back to Guns N'Roses. That's what's selling tickets, not the songs themselves

your words!

I also like how "selling tickets" seems to be the most important thing to you!

You´re funny buddy! But please next time put the quote properly...here's all the text, not just a fragment out of context:

1 hour ago, Derick said:

And I reaffirm what I say in this quote. The songs themselves would not be able to sell so many tickets if they had not Axl and Slash on it. In the last two decades we have both played these same songs and they couldn´t even get close to what this tour is doing. Are the songs important? Of course! But these songs never stopped being played. 

Are the songs important? Of course! But these songs never stopped being played. What has changed is the Axl/Slash factor. That´s all.

14 minutes ago, Derick said:

You´re funny buddy! But please next time put the quote properly...here's all the text, not just a fragment out of context:

And I reaffirm what I say in this quote. The songs themselves would not be able to sell so many tickets if they had not Axl and Slash on it. In the last two decades we have both played these same songs and they couldn´t even get close to what this tour is doing. Are the songs important? Of course! But these songs never stopped being played. 

Are the songs important? Of course! But these songs never stopped being played. What has changed is the Axl/Slash factor. That´s all.

so that was out of context!

my fault!

so sorry for putting YOUR WORDS in YOUR MOUTH!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

marc canter said recently (i guess it was about 2 years ago when everyone knew the GNR reunion this tour was happening) that izzy was into reuniting the GNR lineup the last time he (marc) talked to izzy (which would be 7 or 8 years ago if my memory is correct)

izzy was going to the hall of fame for the GNR induction in 2012 and bailed out at the last minute because axl decided not to go

marc canter said izzy was there in 1996 (or whenever) when apparently there was brief tentative of a reunion

izzy and duff wrote songs and sent to axl on likely more than one occasion over the years

there are lots of other KNOWN occasions that indicates izzy was willing to get involved if GNR ever got back together

there may be more that none of us has any idea of

"do your research mate" as @RONIN put so well

Yeah, maybe he wanted to do this tour or do the reunion but then he realized that he would have to deal with what other people wanted too..he would have to deal with being in a band and not in his solo career where he does what he wants to do without having to take into consideration what other members want..So maybe we have a  similar scenario to what happened with VR:

"-Why did you reject the invitation to reunite with Velvet Revolver? 

Izzy: "I wanted it to be a quartet: Slash, Duff, Matt and I, but they really desired a singer, and as we know, singers can be quite problematic sometimes. So I simply decided to follow my own path." 

-Is it true that you suggested that you Duff would take care of the vocal tasks in the band? 

Izzy: “Yes. That would have been better." 

-How did they respond to that idea? 

Izzy: “I believe that Duff liked the idea, but Slash said no." "

It´s all about what he want..It´s ok but in a band things don´t work that way.

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

so that was out of context!

my fault!

so sorry for putting YOUR WORDS in YOUR MOUTH!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Don´t worry buddy...

What´s your point anyway? What's making you so sick?

26 minutes ago, Derick said:

Yeah, maybe he wanted to do this tour or do the reunion but then he realized that he would have to deal with what other people wanted too..he would have to deal with being in a band and not in his solo career where he does what he wants to do without having to take into consideration what other members want..So maybe we have a  similar scenario to what happened with VR:

Izzy: "I wanted it to be a quartet: Slash, Duff, Matt and I, but they really desired a singer, and as we know, singers can be quite problematic sometimes. So I simply decided to follow my own path." 

-Is it true that you suggested that you Duff would take care of the vocal tasks in the band? 

oh, thanks for realising that MAYBE izzy wanted to do this tour. thats basically my point actually

thanks also for that interview. izzy says similar stuff in many other interviews

your conclusion, on the other side, is pretty amusing!

"maybe he wanted to do this tour or do the reunion but then he realized that he would have to deal with what other people wanted too"

those are your words, right?

so do you really think that izzy decided to do the tour BUT THEN HE REALIZED that he would have to deal with other people and gave up?

you dont think izzy would know that beforehand?

dont you think that he would have taken that into consideration before making any decision?

what kind of logic is that?

FFS

Edited by ludurigan

27 minutes ago, Derick said:

Seriously you must think that Izzy is a total tool bag. He left GNR partly, because he was fed up having to deal with a nutty singer, who could hold the band hostage at a whim. When there was talks about forming VR he wanted to be in a band, but not risk having to work with a nutty singer again and preferred to work with supposedly easier going guys like Slash and Duff. When they didn't want to do that, he left. Fair and square. Don't you think that he knows that reuniting GNR involves being in a band again (with said nutty singer). You think the he forgot that reuniting GNR means being in a band again? It just slipped his mind when he was asked about it? Seriously, stop it dude. Your dislike for Izzy being in the band is irrational and borderline pathological.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Seriously you must think that Izzy is a total tool bag. He left GNR partly, because he was fed up having to deal with a nutty singer, who could hold the band hostage. When there was talks about forming VR he wanted to be in a band, but not risk having to work with a nutty singer again and preferred to work with supposedly easier going guys like Slash and Duff. When they didn't want to do that, he left. Fair and square. Don't you think that he knows that reuniting GNR involves being in a band again (with said nutty singer). You think the he forgot that reuniting GNR means being in a band again? It just slipped his mind when he was asked about it?

exactly

4 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

so do you really think that izzy decided to do the tour BUT THEN HE REALIZED that he would have to deal with other people and gave up?

you dont think izzy would know that already?

what kind of logic is that?

No.I think that maybe to this tour he wanted things be different from what others wanted and because they didn´t do what he wanted he decided not to be part of it. Simple as that.

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Seriously you must think that Izzy is a total tool bag. He left GNR partly, because he was fed up having to deal with a nutty singer, who could hold the band hostage at a whim. When there was talks about forming VR he wanted to be in a band, but not risk having to work with a nutty singer again and preferred to work with supposedly easier going guys like Slash and Duff. When they didn't want to do that, he left. Fair and square. Don't you think that he knows that reuniting GNR involves being in a band again (with said nutty singer). You think the he forgot that reuniting GNR means being in a band again? It just slipped his mind when he was asked about it? Seriously, stop it dude. Your dislike for Izzy being in the band is irrational and borderline pathological.

With all due respect...Don´t be stupid buddy!!! I´m not against Izzy be in the band...I´m just concerned that people are throwing all the shit on the Big 3 like as if they were solely responsible for the fact that Izzy wasn´t in the band. And as I don´t believe what you guys are arguing I decide to talk more about it..Something wrong?

19 minutes ago, Derick said:

No.I think that maybe to this tour he wanted things be different from what others wanted and because they didn´t do what he wanted he decided not to be part of it. Simple as that.

oh, you adjusted your words again. that's pretty nice. it works well in a discussion. someone's gotta give, right? you know what? you have such strong (and adjustable) arguments, such impressive (never-seen-before) logic, and such a deep knowledge of all things GNR (except, obviously, those old songs and those old guys in that old lineup) that its been a real pleasure to have this discussion... please let me know if you want me to quote you again, specially "out of context", whenever you need I am always available! :rofl-lol:

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

oh, you adjusted your words again. that's pretty nice. it works well in a discussion. someone's gotta give, right? you know what? you have such strong (and adjustable) arguments, such impressive (never-seen-before) logic, and such a deep knowledge of all things GNR (except, obviously, those old songs and those old guys in that old lineup) that its been a real pleasure to have this discussion... please let me know if you want me to quote you again, specially "out of context", whenever you need I am always available! :rofl-lol:

Please, do it. Let’s see what I’ve been adjusting.. 

41 minutes ago, Derick said:

Please, do it. Let’s see what I’ve been adjusting.. 

before

Yeah, maybe he wanted to do this tour or do the reunion but then he realized that he would have to deal with what other people wanted too..he would have to deal with being in a band and not in his solo career where he does what he wants to do without having to take into consideration what other members want

so first you say he decided to tour but then he realized he would have to deal with a band situation and gave up...

thats such an amusing argument because its based in a completely unlikely situation that izzy somehow DOESNT REMEMBER what it means to be in a band situation

"Oh, I wanna tour. It should be fun! Lets do it. Oh, no, I forgot! I am gonna have to deal with the other guys! I won't be able to do as I please in a band situation, I don't wanna tour anymore!"

===

later

I think that maybe to this tour he wanted things be different from what others wanted and because they didn´t do what he wanted he decided not to be part of it. Simple as that.

then you say that actually izzy wants things to be different (from his previous time in the band) so that means izzy REMEMBERS how previous times were and he wants to avoid that

aint that a fantastic adjustment?

13 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

before

Yeah, maybe he wanted to do this tour or do the reunion but then he realized that he would have to deal with what other people wanted too..he would have to deal with being in a band and not in his solo career where he does what he wants to do without having to take into consideration what other members want

so first you say he decided to tour but then he realized he would have to deal with a band situation and gave up...

thats such an amusing argument because its based in a completely unlikely situation that izzy somehow DOESNT REMEMBER what it means to be in a band situation

"Oh, I wanna tour. It should be fun! Lets do it. Oh, no, I forgot! I am gonna have to deal with the other guys! I won't be able to do as I please in a band situation, I don't wanna tour anymore!"

===

later

I think that maybe to this tour he wanted things be different from what others wanted and because they didn´t do what he wanted he decided not to be part of it. Simple as that.

then you say that actually izzy wants things to be different (from his previous time in the band) so that means izzy REMEMBERS how previous times were and he wants to avoid that

aint that a fantastic adjustment?

Well, if you pay attention to both quotes I used the word "maybe". Do you know what that word means? Apparently not.

Anyway...

Quote 1: I said that maybe he wanted to do the tour, not that he had decided to do it. Between wanting to do something and deciding to do something there is a gap where people usually use to think about the situation. That´s it.

Quote 2: I said that maybe he wanted things to be different compared to the NITLT not compared to the past!!! I mean different points of view of how this tour would be made: money,lineup, setlist or any other detail about how to do this tour. And as the others guys, apparently, did not agree with what he wanted he decided not to be part of it.

Note: In that quote 1 "gap" he could easily have talked to the guys about his conditions to be part of the tour and as they didn´t reach an agreement he decided to stay out (quote 2). So, contrary to what you said, there are no adjustments in my words..In fact, my arguments complement each other.

Dudde..you're really a broken toy, aren't you? Keep trying... :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Derick said:

Well, if you pay attention to both quotes I used the word "maybe". Do you know what that word means? Apparently not.

Anyway...

Quote 1: I said that maybe he wanted to do the tour, not that he had decided to do it. Between wanting to do something and deciding to do something there is a gap where people usually use to think about the situation. That´s it.

Quote 2: I said that maybe he wanted things to be different compared to the NITLT not compared to the past!!! I mean different points of view of how this tour would be made: money,lineup, setlist or any other detail about how to do this tour. And as the others guys, apparently, did not agree with what he wanted he decided not to be part of it.

Note: In that quote 1 "gap" he could easily have talked to the guys about his conditions to be part of the tour and as they didn´t reach an agreement he decided to stay out (quote 2). So, contrary to what you said, there are no adjustments in my words..In fact, my arguments complement each other.

Dudde..you're really a broken toy, aren't you? Keep trying... :facepalm:

thanks!

19 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

They can drop off the songs made with Izzy and Steven too, so no AFD, no half of Lies and UYI. People will still see slash  axl with duff, aye?

So that's why they've been practising all those covers. They are going to bury not only Appetite, but half of Lies and UYI as well..