Idris Elba

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its a ridiculous idea.  And I don’t think hes all that as an actor either.  Good, very good even but I don’t think the position he occupies currently in our culture is justified when stacked up against his talent.

Ditto.

He has persona but he’s not a particularly transformative actor. He has a range and plays within the range fairly well. 

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its a ridiculous idea.  And I don’t think hes all that as an actor either.  Good, very good even but I don’t think the position he occupies currently in our culture is justified when stacked up against his talent.

While he is obviously blessed with looks and  charisma (he has a great voice too), he is a limited actor. It was particularly obvious in Luther  whenever he had scenes with the prodigiously gifted Ruth Wilson.

However, a lot of big name actors are only moderately talented. The more curious thing is his apparent A list status, despite the fact that he’s never carried a hit. The Wire has been off the air for over a decade. He has a small recurring role in several Marvel movies, but besides that nothing of any real financial or critical success that I can recall (ok Beasts of No Nation but he was outclassed by a bunch of non professional tykes).

Like, cynically, I wonder if it’s because Denzel is getting on, and the industry and press have marked him the successor. Despite not having the chops or filmography.

Edited by Angelica

6 hours ago, soon said:

I recently googled "sexy UK politician" and the top 3 rows of image results were pictures of Idris Alba.

Why would you google that? 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Because it was the topic of discussion in the British Politics thread. To me the more curious part of my post is why was Idris Alba the top hits? :lol:

Cuz you've conflated Idris Elba and with Jessica Alba and thus confused the internet?  Because all black men look like white women to soon the racist :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Cuz you've conflated Idris Elba and with Jessica Alba and thus confused the internet?  Because all black men look like white women to soon the racist :lol:

Is that how algorithms work? I look up "sexy British politician" and then it gets its Albas in a twist because of my devotion to Lauren Southern?

*Googles 'Lauren Southern' with one hand and doesnt post again for about 4 minutes*

:lol:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Been in the rumor mill for yonks.

I love him I think he is a top bloke but like @Len Cnut says I don't rate him high enough as an Actor for a bond movie 

Its not cuz he's too shit, I don't think you need to be a fantastic actor to play Bond, he can't play it cuz he's black.  Unless you wanna white him up with special effects and/or make up such.  Or else re-write Bond the character in its entirity to make him a black fella.  Its not a very interesting proposition either to be honest. 

I mean anything is possible, theatre is the realm of fantasy but I do think you need a good reason for the choices you make and I've yet to hear one for getting a black bloke to play Bond.  I've yet to hear any reason actually, except 'why not?'. 

Edited by Len Cnut

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You'd have a problem with Bond being black? Why?

No I don't because he isn't.  Would I have a problem with it?  Well...I don't know, the choice would have to be explained to me first before I could judge.

Edited by Len Cnut

9 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think Idris could pull it off. If not him who else would be a good Bond? 

Leonardo DiCaprio 

I can't stand Idris Elba, because he already sucked as Roland in the Dark Tower film (one of my favourite book series ever). 

15 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't think it matters tbh. Just don't make a thing of it in the movie at all as if it's a #Woke move.

I just googled British male actors and the only alternative I see is Clive Owen.

As I said, cinema/theatre is the realm of fantasy so you can do what you want but it would be interesting to know why.  Why is this white character being made black?  Is it an arbitrary thing?  If so, why bother?  I mean what is it, what is being intended, what about the narrative of the piece would be well served by that choice?  I mean artistically you're free to do what you want, you can have a white guy play Malcolm X or a Chinese fella play The Cardinal Woolsey if you see fit but usually there is a purpose being such things, no?

And if its JUST to do with being 'woke' I find that cheap and patronizing and sort of anti-artistic propaganda.  if there's substantial artistic motive behind such things I don't mind but without it it just becomes political propaganda. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I'm saying don't be cheap and try to appear woke or even focus on it in any way, just don't care and have a black bond, assuming he's the choice, without justifying or explaining it. He's British so who cares? Do the books describe Bond as white or simply British? 

I don't know I've not read the book and I don't really care much for James Bond films but I'm pretty certain that yes, the character is a white guy. 

Even if Bond is supposed to be a white British man, it's just a silly Hollywood action thing so personally I don't care. And the nature of 007 is it's a different guy each time. Not the same as changing the race of someone like Malcolm X.

Its not the same no but there's an obvious applicable parrallel in the principle involved.  I mean with any biographical depiction of anybody it is a depiction right, as in not the real thing, based on which you have artistic lisence to change anything you feel like if you see fit...and if arbitary is the order of the day then why not have Austrian Malcolm X?  Or a Hawaiian one?  Or a Bangladeshi one?

16 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

He is shit so shit.

In regards to him playing bond it's a pretty Prolific character I don't think he is up to task.

In relation to him being Black ... James Bond is a fictional Character I don't think it matters too much I know there will be hardcore fan boys losing there shit but it's 2019 mother fuckers 

If I want to identify as a 33 year old African Women I will.

Gets your tits out Fatima :lol:

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

If they were to do that it shouldn't be in jest either like ignore that it's happening and be business as usual about it.

The creation of the film would be as much an artistic statement/performance than the film itself :lol:  They could make a Heart of Darkness-esque documentary around the production :lol:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not cuz he's too shit, I don't think you need to be a fantastic actor to play Bond, he can't play it cuz he's black.  Unless you wanna white him up with special effects and/or make up such.  Or else re-write Bond the character in its entirity to make him a black fella.  Its not a very interesting proposition either to be honest. 

I mean anything is possible, theatre is the realm of fantasy but I do think you need a good reason for the choices you make and I've yet to hear one for getting a black bloke to play Bond.  I've yet to hear any reason actually, except 'why not?'. 

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing Bond. I mean it's not like you'd have to rewrite much to pull it off is it?

On 07/04/2019 at 3:15 AM, Angelica said:

While he is obviously blessed with looks and  charisma (he has a great voice too), he is a limited actor. It was particularly obvious in Luther  whenever he had scenes with the prodigiously gifted Ruth Wilson.

I've really enjoyed Luther in the past but the last season was complete and utter dogshit. Totally jumped the shark IMO.

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing Bond. I mean it's not like you'd have to rewrite much to pull it off is it?

The phrase 'have a problem' conjures up images of standing outside the writers house in DMs with a skinhead and a bomber jacket holding a sign that reads 'THERE'S NO BLACK IN THE UNION JACK', alls I'm asking is why :lol:

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The phrase 'have a problem' conjures up images of standing outside the writers house in DMs with a skinhead and a bomber jacket holding a sign that reads 'THERE'S NO BLACK IN THE UNION JACK', alls I'm asking is why :lol:

I'd say why not? I mean I think he'd be good in the role and there's nothing fundamental in Bond's character that requires he be played by a white guy. I mean he'd probably get pulled over a lot more if they saw him driving along in the Aston Martin but that's not a total deal breaker. :lol: 

• Haha 2