Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is she picking on the United Kingdom when we have done more than most countries environmentally and our carbon footprint is the size of a gnat's cock compared to the USA and China?

She should be playing with her dollys. 

I think you're right about other countries being much worse, but UK apparently not as good as claimed, with false accounting making energy figures better: 

'She also described the UK's carbon emissions reduction as the result of "very creative" accounting.

The country's reported 37% reduction in emissions since 1990 was only 10% when aviation, shipping, imports and exports were counted, she said.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48017083

32 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

"Groupie"? Rather awkward word choice since she's just a little kid...

But yeah she seems like a straight shooter.

Yeh, bit of self-parody, contrasting the traditional age-gender groupie relationship; and parodying her overnight rock star status.

Perhaps a bit bitter too, after I'd been saying the same for last 10-15 years, but I was only following others too, back to the 60s hippies, and environmentalists a century before...

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
bit

5 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I think you're right about other countries being much worse, but UK apparently not as good as claimed, with false accounting making energy figures better: 

'She also described the UK's carbon emissions reduction as the result of "very creative" accounting.

The country's reported 37% reduction in emissions since 1990 was only 10% when aviation, shipping, imports and exports were counted, she said.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48017083

But why doesn't she go to the USA and China and annoy them?

Fundamentally it doesn't matter what the UK does as our environmental impact is a drop in the ocean compared to them industrial and carefree juggernauts. 

Heck, we are not even the worst offender in Europe: Germany is.

Just another Anglophobe beating Britain over the head. Queue up behind the European Union. Nothing to see here.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Errant question mark
  • Like 1

Picking on Britain? I think she's just trying to raise awareness wherever she can, no? She's been to Brussels quite a few times now, but I don't feel as if she's picking on Belgium or Europe. It's lame to say: but look, those others are doing much worse! That's always the safest way not to get anything done.

It's not that long ago everyone was saying how young people can't be bothered to do anything anymore and aren't interested in anything at all but themselves. I can only support dedication and idealism.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

*he said as he emptied out rusted shopping carts full of plastic debris onto the beach* :lol:

Countries like America and China have to pull their weight yeah but the UK and NZ etc need to as well. Maybe it'll encourage them to hurry the fuck up.

Yeh, needs a global effort, and UK only a small country in it. 

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

i don't know why she does it (probably out of purely logistic reasons), but just from the reaction from @DieselDaisy I have to approve.

She just started doing it cos she's got Asperger's and said she couldn't conform to such a stupid system, seeing conventional lies and spin for what they are from 'outside the box'. Guess she's come to UK cos she's got some publicity/demand here.

She calls Asperger's her gift, which I think does have relevance for bands like Guns, who seemed to be making a big impact by just saying it as it was when they started - but about street level society rather than the environment. 

That's what set Guns apart from most 'hair bands', but they're songs were just a little better too... and then the epic stuff on Illusion took them up to a totally different level.

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
Guess...

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

As I said, she should be playing with her dollys.

When I was her age I was desperately asking for attention from the creeps who used to post on mygnr. Think she's passed the tea parties stage. Good on her for doing something. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

When I was her age I was desperately asking for attention from the creeps who used to post on mygnr. Think she's passed the tea parties stage. Good on her for doing something. 

But why is she criticising Britain? She isn't even targeting the main culprit - not even close to the main culprit. Why not go to China or the US or any of the other twelve countries who produce more carbon emissions than Britain does. Why not go to Brazil who claim top spot for ''natural forest loss''? Why not go to Japan who are ranked 4th for ''marine capture''? Why not go to India which is 2nd for ''environmental impact due to fertilizer use'' and 3rd for ''water pollution?''. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But why is she criticising Britain? She isn't even targeting the main culprit - not even close to the main culprit. Why not go to China or the US or any of the other twelve countries who produce more carbon emissions than Britain does. Why not go to Brazil who claim top spot for ''natural forest loss''? Why not go to Japan who are ranked 4th for ''marine capture''? Why not go to India which is 2nd for ''environmental impact due to fertilizer use'' and 3rd for ''water pollution?''. 

She's been school striking since August in front of the Swedish parliament. They're not the worst offenders either. Then she was asked to go to Davos and since January we've been having school strikes and demonstrations in Belgium too. She joined two of them here, in Brussels, where she spoke to the EU and told politicians there they should be ashamed, and in Antwerp. Now she was invited to England, so it's only logical she addresses what she thinks is wrong about UK policies in particular. It would make no sense at all if she focused on Brazil or the US when in Britain.

• Like 3

.... Also, Brexit represents a rupture in the social fabric of UK. That is the perfect time for change making. But more so, Brexit is an economic opportunity for change on emissions. Just a guess.

Countries like India are bound to the neoliberal structural adjustments imposed by the terms of IMF loans - India is where western multinationals go to do their polluting. Brazil is facing serious economic hardships. Neither has the same opportunity to change as does the UK.

As far as I know she doesnt fly. So that explains some of it right there.

Edited by soon

Just now, Lio said:

She's been school striking since August in front of the Swedish parliament. They're not the worst offenders either. Then she was asked to go to Davos and since January we've been having school strikes and demonstrations in Belgium too. She joined two of them here, in Brussels, where she spoke to the EU and told politicians there they should be ashamed, and in Antwerp. Now she was invited to England, so it's only logical she addresses what she thinks is wrong about UK policies in particular. It would make no sense at all if she focused on Brazil or the US when in Britain.

None of these countries are especially big offenders either. In fact most European countries are environmental exemplar. Many of them lead the way in green issues. 

She is focusing on the innocent countries and ignoring the culprits. It makes absolutely no sense. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

None of these countries are especially big offenders either. In fact most European countries are environmental exemplar. Many of them lead the way in green issues. 

She is focusing on the innocent countries and ignoring the culprits. It makes absolutely no sense. 

Climate change is a global problem and none of us are innocent. It doesn't matter there are bigger offenders. She's asking the whole world to react. But she's a teenage girl. It's amazing she's been able to reach such a big part of the world already.

It also makes a lot of sense to try to persuade your own MPs of your cause, people who actually have a voice and power on a larger scale than a 16 year old girl. Which is what she started out to do. But her story was powerful enough to spread through (part of) Europe.

I honestly don't know what you have against her. I can't find any fault in what she's saying and it's a breath of fresh air after hearing the endless nonsense and blabla of politicians.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

Climate change is a global problem and none of us are innocent. It doesn't matter there are bigger offenders. She's asking the whole world to react. But she's a teenage girl. It's amazing she's been able to reach such a big part of the world already.

It also makes a lot of sense to try to persuade your own MPs of your cause, people who actually have a voice and power on a larger scale than a 16 year old girl. Which is what she started out to do. But her story was powerful enough to spread through (part of) Europe.

I honestly don't know what you have against her. I can't find any fault in what she's saying and it's a breath of fresh air after hearing the endless nonsense and blabla of politicians.

The problem I have with her is she is attacking the wrong countries. There is fuck all anyone can do about climate change until the Yanks and Chinese are interested. Now, Trump ditched the Paris Agreement. What the hell are a bunch of British lefty opposition politicians posing for a photo op supposed to do about Donald Trump ditching the Paris Agreement? Trump isn't going to listen to Caroline Lucas haha.

PS

He might try to grab Caroline Lucasby the pussy but he certainly isn't going to listen to her.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The problem I have with her is she is attacking the wrong countries. There is fuck all anyone can do about climate change until the Yanks and Chinese are interested. Now, Trump ditched the Paris Agreement. What the hell are a bunch of British lefty opposition politicians posing for a photo op supposed to do about Donald Trump ditching the Paris Agreement? Trump isn't going to listen to Caroline Lucas haha.

PS

He might try to grab Caroline Lucasby the pussy but he certainly isn't going to listen to her.

Well, that's the difference between you and her. She has idealism, you have cynicism. If enough people can be convinced of the urgency, the world might finally do what is needed, or try anyway.

• Like 1