Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

• 2 weeks later...

y77oi2th.jpg

I hope Greta would approve of my water filter! I have this model but with a stainless steel spigot. It can even filter any reasonably viable river water with it.

I still call for improved municipal water supply and publicly owned springs. But this filter gets me safe water at home, originating from the tap, without the plastic of a Brita. And those charcoal filters last 6000 refills of the 4L pot!!!

• GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, soon said:

y77oi2th.jpg

I hope Greta would approve of my water filter! I have this model but with a stainless steel spigot. It can even filter any reasonably viable river water with it.

I still call for improved municipal water supply and publicly owned springs. But this filter gets me safe water at home, originating from the tap.

As opposed to getting safe water from the tap in general? Aren't you in Canadia and not Michigan? :shrugs: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You can store it next to your tin foil hat when not in use. 

Most people filter the chlorine out. Usually with filters on taps and with the ubiquitous Brita brand filters. Especially those of us who are allergic to chlorine. Also everything else I said. Also you dont know how common "boil water advisories" are in my area....

But if mocking others from a place of ignorance makes you happy, have at it champ!

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Most people filter the chlorine out. Usually with filters on taps and with the ubiquitous Brita brand filters. 

Most people in Canada filter their tap water, really? Why? :lol:

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Especially those of us who are allergic to chlorine. 

There is no such thing as chlorine allergy ;)

People react to it in swimming pools where it is in vastly higher concentrations than in tap water. But it is still not allergy as it doesn't involve the immune system. As far as tap water is concerned, the concentrations of chlorine are too low to cause any harmful effects directly, although the chlorine can react with other compounds and create toxic stuff. Fortunately, tap water is closely monitored to make sure such toxic stuff are below danger limits. 

24 minutes ago, soon said:

Also you dont know how common "boil water advisories" are in my area....

I am sure that happens in rural areas in Canada, especially where people have their own fresh water wells. But I thought you lived close to a big city? 

For most part, tap water in Canada is perfectly safe to drink. If you happen to live in an area of Canada where it isn't, like somewhere off the grid with limited infrastructure, or a hippie colony where the water comes from the nearby swamp, or something, then sure, I understand you'd use an extra filter. But then I feel your post lacked vital context.

28 minutes ago, soon said:

But if mocking others from a place of ignorance makes you happy, have at it champ!

Come on now, I don't think you actually have a tin foil hat. Or do you?

29 minutes ago, soon said:

Most people filter the chlorine out. Usually with filters on taps and with the ubiquitous Brita brand filters. Especially those of us who are allergic to chlorine. Also everything else I said. Also you dont know how common "boil water advisories" are in my area....

I've always heard that all those filters are just fear mongering by companies who want to sell those filters. At least here (and certainly in Sweden too :P) tap water's perfectly fine and the Brita filter trend we saw some years ago, seems to have gone. I've never seen a filter on tap here either.

I was reading that, pertaining to Trump offloading American chlorinated chicken on the United Kingdom market in the event of a ''no deal'', that there is more chlorine in a glass of water here in Britain than there is in one of Trump's contaminated pollos. Therefore it is a complete non-argument. 

1 minute ago, Lio said:

I've always heard that all those filters are just fear mongering by companies who want to sell those filters. At least here (and certainly in Sweden too :P) tap water's perfectly fine and the Brita filter trend we saw some years ago, seems to have gone. I've never seen a filter on tap here either.

Today I learned that Europeans like the flavour of chlorine. Alright :shrugs:

I think you are both confusing removing chlorine with the unfounded fears of fluoride. Completely separate issue. One is common and often done purely for the better flavour - the chlorine has already done its job and isnt needed any longer so why not get the flavour out? But there is a fluoride conspiracy theory... my filter doesnt filter out the fluoride though...

Also a more astute observer might have picked up on the fact that its the travel model and I mentioned filtering river water. This means that I dont have to use bottles water while camping. 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Also a more astute observer might have picked up on the fact that its the travel model and I mentioned filtering river water. This means that I dont have to use bottles water while camping. 

Well...you did say, "this filter gets me safe water at home, originating from the tap". So I think we are excused from thinking you would use it at home, too ;)

And note that you talked about "safe" water, not "tasty" water. It obviously came from a point of health concern.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Well...you did say, "this filter gets me safe water at home, originating from the tap". So I think we are excused from thinking you would use it at home, too ;)

And note that you talked about "safe" water, not "tasty" water. It obviously came from a point of health concern.

You've done nothing but confuse yourself in a failed attempt at mockery. Calling removing chlorine a conspiracy theory :lol:

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Today I learned that Europeans like the flavour of chlorine. Alright :shrugs:

I think you are both confusing removing chlorine with the unfounded fears of fluoride.

No.

The amount of chlorine is strictly regulated in tap water. I've personally never tasted or smelled it in tap water.

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

You've done nothing but confuse yourself in a failed attempt at mockery. Calling removing chlorine a conspiracy theory :lol:

I likened your efforts to remove chlorine from your tap water out of health concerns, to wearing tin foil hats, yes.

Are you seriously trying to convince us that you do it entirely for improved taste, when you explicitly stated you use the filter to get "safe water at home" and when you talked about having "chlorine allergy"? Do you think I am high and not able to remember what you wrote 20 minutes ago? :lol:

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I likened your efforts to remove chlorine from your tap water out of health concerns, to wearing tin foil hats, yes.

Are you seriously trying to convince us that you do it entirely for improved taste, when you explicitly stated you use the filter to get "safe water at home" and when you talked about having "chlorine allergy"? Do you think I am high and not able to remember what you wrote 20 minutes ago? :lol:

Yes I stated my reasons. Then you got confused.in the course of you bizarre inquisition we also talked about why most Canadians filiter our the chlorine. These parallel points confused you even more apparently.

cool thoughts on water, bro:lol:

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes I stated my reasons. Then you got confused.in the course of you bizarre inquisition we also talked about why most Canadians filiter our the chlorine. These parallel points confused you even more apparently.

cool thoughts on water, bro:lol:

No confusion here at all. You stated from the offset that you have bought a filter to make your tap water more safe to drink. And I compared that to wearing tin foil hats. 

You didn't particularly like the comparison, though. Which is fine, people don't like to be called out for their bullshit.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No confusion here at all. You stated from the offset that you have bought a filter to make your tap water more safe to drink. And I compared that to wearing tin foil hats. 

You didn't particularly like the comparison, though. Which is fine, people don't like to be called out for their bullshit.

What bullshit??:lol:

thanks for the chat though. Bye.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

What bullshit??:lol:

The implication that tap water is not safe to drink by stating that your water filter gets you "safe water at home", pointing to "junk" and "chlorine prescription meds" in tap water.

Generally speaking, tap water is entirely safe to drink. There is an industry that likes to claim otherwise, though, especially - and not surprisingly - manufacturers of bottled water and various tap filters. And I can't really blame you, or others, for being fooled and buying stuff. That's the society we live in I guess. People are tricked into buying stuff for which they have no use. Consumerism at its worst.  

And then you have fringe societies on the outskirts of the political spectrum who think that tap water is another way for the government to control the population. And although you are rather radical in your various opinions and obviously okay with believing in stuff for which the evidence is lacking or weak, I don't think you actually believe "the Empire" adds chlorine and other chemicals to the water supply in a nefarious attempt at controlling the populace. I think somewhat higher of you.

14 minutes ago, soon said:

thanks for the chat though. Bye.

Eh, okay, bye!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The implication that tap water is not safe to drink by stating that your water filter gets you "safe water at home", pointing to "junk" and "chlorine prescription meds" in tap water.

Generally speaking, tap water is entirely safe to drink. There is an industry that likes to claim otherwise, though, especially - and not surprisingly - manufacturers of bottled water and various tap filters. And I can't really blame you, or others, for being fooled and buying stuff. That's the society we live in I guess. People are tricked into buying stuff for which they have no use. Consumerism at its worst.  

And then you have fringe societies on the outskirts of the political spectrum who think that tap water is another way for the government to control the population. And although you are rather radical in your various opinions and obviously okay with believing in stuff for which the evidence is lacking or weak, I don't think you actually believe "the Empire" adds chlorine and other chemicals to the water supply in a nefarious attempt at controlling the populace. I think somewhat higher of you.

Eh, okay, bye!

Again the conspiracy theory is actually about fluoride, but whatever. I cant drink chlorine and choose not to consume the other junk either. I hope this helps you be less confused.