Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

But what if the conviction is that we don't all have to go all in, but instead if we all do a little then that is sufficient? Then that is HYPOCRITICAL!! :lol:

No, that's just an opinion. Hypocrisy definition: 

hypocrisy: [hɪˈpɒkrɪsi] NOUN the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

I think we could all do more, but most people just do what they can. People with poor organisation, bad attitude, high laziness or low I.Q. aren't going to do much.

For those who want to do something, I think they should carry on trying to do something, even if it sometimes feels worthless.

Some people give up being vegan/veggie and just go back to old routine, but even if you just do half then it's better than nothing.

I think Greta's upped everybody's game over the last year; along with Stacey Dooley docs, and vegan movement; which has surprised even me, a veggie.

McCartneys' meat-free Mondays were the trend a couple of years ago, and I still felt ahead of the game!

• Like 1

i watched her speech, and while I pretty much agree with everything she says (how can you not?), I can't shake the feeling that she's missing a couple of screws.

sailing over the atlantic, speaking before world leaders in such a theatratical matter acting somewhat comically-agressive... it's all appearing a bit weird to be honest.

if I was her dad she would be studying at home, that's for sure. so irresponsible of her parents to let her do what she does. What will they do if some lunatic shoots her on the street? Have they ever considered that? No of course not: they crave the attention to much!

Edited by action

2 hours ago, action said:

i watched her speech, and while I pretty much agree with everything she says (how can you not?), I can't shake the feeling that she's missing a couple of screws.

sailing over the atlantic, speaking before world leaders in such a theatratical matter acting somewhat comically-agressive... it's all appearing a bit weird to be honest.

if I was her dad she would be studying at home, that's for sure. so irresponsible of her parents to let her do what she does. What will they do if some lunatic shoots her on the street? Have they ever considered that? No of course not: they crave the attention to much!

I don't agree. You can nitpick as much as you want, but concentrate on why she is there. Of course that speech was hyperbolic, who cares, she's a kid for crying out loud. And no, she's not missing a couple of screws, she has Asperger's syndrome, so maybe that is why she acts ''weird'' according to you, but again, who cares? 

And I really don't see how her parents are irresponsible, that just doesn't make any sense. Makes even less sense saying they ''crave attention too much''.

Just read online that she's got all these illnesses.  Feel rotten for calling her a mad cow earlier.  She's got like OCD and Aspergers and a thing I've never heard of called Selective Mutism.  To be honest I've heard of Aspergers but I dunno what it is.  Selective Mutism is like an anxiety related thing.  Should be really be doing speeches on the world stage the poor mite?

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't agree. You can nitpick as much as you want, but concentrate on why she is there. Of course that speech was hyperbolic, who cares, she's a kid for crying out loud. And no, she's not missing a couple of screws, she has Asperger's syndrome, so maybe that is why she acts ''weird'' according to you, but again, who cares? 

And I really don't see how her parents are irresponsible, that just doesn't make any sense. Makes even less sense saying they ''crave attention too much''.

I don't think "kids" should expose themselves to the dangerous world out there, like she does. If that doesn't make sense to you, I suggest you try harder understand what's at stake here for her personal wellbeing.

it's her parents' responsability, first and foremost, that she grows up in a secure environment. That she is allowed such a forum, exposing herself to dangerous individuals, is indeed the first responsability of her parents. She's a minor, and she probably needs the approval of her parents to even be in the USA.

For this reason, her parents are, categorically, bad parents. There is no other way around this.

• Like 1

People worry too much about her health and pressure from doing what she is doing. That's between her and her family. And the works she does, and impact she has, is worth a bit of personal sacrifice and I trust she understands this. At some point she will have to slow down, maybe even quit, but she can always look back at having been one of the world's most impactful individuals who raised awareness of climate change among future generations. I would have been okay with some pressure for that. I mean, she is already a living legend, kids in the future will learn about her in school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

I don't think "kids" should expose themselves to the dangerous world out there, like she does. If that doesn't make sense to you, I suggest you try harder understand what's at stake here for her personal wellbeing.

it's her parents' responsability, first and foremost, that she grows up in a secure environment. That she is allowed such a forum, exposing herself to dangerous individuals, is indeed the first responsability of her parents. She's a minor, and she probably needs the approval of her parents to even be in the USA.

For this reason, her parents are, categorically, bad parents. There is no other way around this.

I thought about it some more, and you are right. Kids should just go to school and do their homework, not form an opinion or express it because of the big bad world out there. Only at 18 or older, or let's make it 21, they should be able to get out there and express themselves, if they feel the need to do that in the first place. And you are also right about her parents, I don't know them, but they are obviously very, very bad parents and they should be ashamed of themselves. I wish the Swedish government could interfere somehow. 

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I thought about it some more, and you are right. Kids should just go to school and do their homework, not form an opinion or express it because of the big bad world out there. Only at 18 or older, or let's make it 21, they should be able to get out there and express themselves, if they feel the need to do that in the first place. And you are also right about her parents, I don't know them, but they are obviously very, very bad parents and they should be ashamed of themselves. I wish the Swedish government could interfere somehow. 

she's still a kid. Your words. I don't care if what she does is good for the world. In fact, I'd say it is. that's not the issue here. 

I find something very disturbing about seeing a kid talk in such a way to powerful world leaders.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

People worry too much about her health and pressure from doing what she is doing. That's between her and her family. And the works she does, and impact she has, is worth a bit of personal sacrifice and I trust she understands this. At some point she will have to slow down, maybe even quit, but she can always look back at having been one of the world's most impactful individuals who raised awareness of climate change among future generations. I would have been okay with some pressure for that. I mean, she is already a living legend, kids in the future will learn about her in school. 

kids at school learn about kennedy too. And martin luther king. And princess diana.

Guess what these three all have in common?

Just now, action said:

she's still a kid. Your words. I don't care if what she does is good for the world. In fact, I'd say it is. that's not the issue here. 

I find something very disturbing about seeing a kid talk in such a way to powerful world leaders.

So because she's a kid she can't have an opinion? She can't express it? She can't help raise awareness, which as far as I know, is all she's doing?

The only reason I mentioned the fact she is a kid, is because you can always find something to nitpick. Like how her speech is hyperbolic, or whatever the criticism is she gets all the time, but that's not what this is about. Why fault her for raising awareness here? Just get over it already... even if she only reaches a few people this way, then that's already a win as far as I'm concerned, and everything else is irrelevant.

Who the fuck put her on the world stage? 

Pulling the heart strings by exploiting an emotional kid with multiple Illnesses for some political gain.

Greta, you said it yourself. Get back across the ocean and get back to school. Oh and I believe it's a fine for taking your kids out of school now so pay that too.

8 minutes ago, action said:

kids at school learn about kennedy too. And martin luther king. And princess diana.

Guess what these three all have in common?

She is a kid, but she is a kid of 16. I would be more worried if her conditions possible make it harder for her to understand the pressure and life-altering effect her actions might have on her. But not her age. 

I find it heart-warming to see a kid stand up to adults and tell them to be ashamed of what they are doing. I applaud it. It makes me proud of the future generations. We need more kids like Thurnberg, not less.

Congratulations on cherry-picking famous people who died. Now go find a working argument.

Prior to her campaigning she had what may be termed a break down over adults lack of action to fight the Climate Crisis. She became very ill and reclusive. This helped produce some of her diagnosis'. Her acting and resisting is what makes her feel better. She calls her Aspergers her "special weapon" because it makes her see things in black and white. She is unaffected by the propaganda. 

If my childs medicine was helping to save the world I would be happy to give them that medicine. She speaks about some of this here, and also drags the trolls and conspiracy theorists: 2:55-7:20

'I say look there is a fire. We should put it out. And then you point and say "yes there is a fire. What are you wearing?" :lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

PS: thats Canadas own climate rockstar, Naomi Klein, doing the interview. Anyone wondering why they should pay attention to Greta should also ask themselves why they didnt pay attention to Klein.

Edited by soon

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

So because she's a kid she can't have an opinion? She can't express it? She can't help raise awareness, which as far as I know, is all she's doing?

The only reason I mentioned the fact she is a kid, is because you can always find something to nitpick. Like how her speech is hyperbolic, or whatever the criticism is she gets all the time, but that's not what this is about. Why fault her for raising awareness here? Just get over it already... even if she only reaches a few people this way, then that's already a win as far as I'm concerned, and everything else is irrelevant.

I'll try to explain one last time, with bullet points for your convenience.

- She can have an opinion, I never disagreed with this.

- She can also express it, I never disagreed with this either.

- My issue is, with a kid doing so on a world wide forum, attracting all sorts of wrong people. Having an opinion will earn you enemies, and friends. Increase the forum, and you increase the people you reach, including bad people. Attracting bad people is not good for a 16 year old.

- I'm not nitpicking, I'm genuinly concerned about he wellbeing.

- Her speech I find not hyperbolic. I'll leave that remark on your acount.

- I'm not faulting her for raising awareness. I said earlier, that I agree that what she does is good for the world.

- for that matter, I'm not faulting Greta at all, I'm faulting her parents.

- what do I need to get over? I'm not sure. I'm perfectly fine, but thanks for caring anyway.

Edited by action

6 minutes ago, action said:

- My issue is, with a kid doing so on a world wide forum, attracting all sorts of wrong people. Having an opinion will earn you enemies, and friends. Increase the forum, and you increase the people you reach, including bad people. Attracting bad people is not good for a 16 year old.

Attracting bad people is not good for anyone, regardless of age. That doesn't stop people from doing what they really believe in. It shouldn't stop a 16 year-old kid, either, if her loved ones support it.

Just now, action said:

I'll try to explain one last time, with bullet points for your convenience.

- She can have an opinion, I never disagreed with this.

- She can also express it, I never disagreed with this either.

- I'm not nitpicking, I'm genuinly concerned about he wellbeing.

- Her speech I find not hyperbolic. I'll leave that remark on your acount.

- I'm not faulting her for raising awareness. I said earlier, that I agree that what she does is good for the world.

- for that matter, I'm not faulting Greta at all, I'm faulting her parents.

- what do I get over? I'm not sure. I'm perfectly fine, but thanks for caring anyway.

I was referring not only to you, but to all those pessimists out there nitpicking everything she does. It's fucking childish.

But alright, I admire your ''concern'' for her well-being, but I am sure she will be fine. When you expose yourself like this, there will always be haters and lots of criticism, but that shouldn't prevent you from giving your opinion and standing up for your beliefs. And yes, it's not like she's 6 years old, she is almost an adult. I think you are a bit too cautious here.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Attracting bad people is not good for anyone, regardless of age. That doesn't stop people from doing what they really believe in. It shouldn't stop a 16 year-old kid, either, if her loved ones support it.

A 16 year old is still a minor. It means they are under the care of their parents. This is for good reason. Generally, 16 year olds still have an underdeveloped personality and they tend to do stuff which they might later regret.

I did some stupid stuff when I was 16, stuff that kids do, and I'm glad none of that was recorded and that's all firmly in the past, where it belongs.

No one stands up to protect her against herself. In a world that never forgets, this is even more urgent.

You're a parent too. You should kind of understand where I'm coming from.

1 minute ago, action said:

A 16 year old is still a minor. It means they are under the care of their parents. This is for good reason. Generally, 16 year olds still have an underdeveloped personality and they tend to do stuff which they might later regret.

I did some stupid stuff when I was 16, stuff that kids do, and I'm glad none of that was recorded and that's all firmly in the past, where it belongs.

No one stands up to protect her against herself. In a world that never forgets, this is even more urgent.

You're a parent too. You should kind of understand where I'm coming from.

There is a huge difference between 16-year olds. Some can handle this just as well as grown-ups, some can't. We can't just immediately conclude how she will handle it. I trust her and her parents together have arrived at the right decision. Who am I to question them?

3 minutes ago, action said:

stuff which they might later regret.

What is the stupid stuff she is doing? Raising awareness? You think that in ten years from now she is a Trump supporter and regrets everything she is saying now?

• Haha 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

There is a huge difference between 16-year olds. Some can handle this just as well as grown-ups, some can't. We can't just immediately conclude how she will handle it. I trust her and her parents together have arrived at the right decision. Who am I to question them?

I agree.

However I have reasons to doubt that she can handle it "just as well" as grown ups. I think the contrary is true. It is reported that she has all sorts of mental and anxiety issues, that impact here ability to "handle" this.

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What is the stupid stuff she is doing? Raising awareness? You think that in ten years from now she is a Trump supporter and regrets everything she is saying now?

Yes, seems this is a different category than stuff most people regret :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, action said:

I agree.

However I have reasons to doubt that she can handle it "just as well" as grown ups. I think the contrary is true. It is reported that she has all sorts of mental and anxiety issues, that impact here ability to "handle" this.

I am way to humble to think I know better than herself and her family ;)