Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I am way to humble to think I know better than herself and her family ;)

Well, seeing how her medical condition is reported on the internet (yay, imagine your mental condidtion being recorded for eternity on the internet. That will go well when she's an adult looking for work. my point proven all over again), I think my opinion on this is well founded. Her family clearly are clueless, and I reserve the right to doubt their parental capabilities.

3 minutes ago, action said:

I agree.

However I have reasons to doubt that she can handle it "just as well" as grown ups. I think the contrary is true. It is reported that she has all sorts of mental and anxiety issues, that impact here ability to "handle" this.

No, her campaigning calms her and helps her function better then when she wasnt campaigning.

1 minute ago, action said:

Well, seeing how her medical condition is reported on the internet (yay, imagine your mental condidtion being recorded for eternity on the internet. That will go well when she's an adult looking for work. my point proven all over again), I think my opinion on this is well founded. Her family clearly are clueless, and I reserve the right to doubt their parental capabilities.

I don't think needs to worry about her future employment possibilities :lol:

1 minute ago, soon said:

No, her campaigning calms her and helps her function better then when she wasnt campaigning.

this will go well. 

It's like when King Kong was brought over from skull island to new york city. Nothing would happen, they made a metal cage to contain the beast. What can possibly go wrong?

Silly analogy of course, but that's the image I have in my mind, reading your suggestion.

Just now, action said:

this will go well. 

It's like when King Kong was brought over from skull island to new york city. Nothing would happen, they made a metal cage to contain the beast. What can possibly go wrong?

Silly analogy of course, but that's the image I have in my mind, reading your suggestion.

Its not a "suggestion" its a fact. 

Silly analogy - yes. Ignorant analogy - yes.

27 minutes ago, action said:

I give up

I just don't understand why you are so concerned and I think you are pushing it a bit here. You are making a lot of assumptions, even going as far as saying she has bad parents, even though I'm sure you know almost nothing about her situation. Is it the attention she gets that worries you because she's a minor? Everyone deals with that differently, kinda ignorant of you to think she can't handle it. There is no reason to think that she is not looked after well enough by responsible adults either.

25 minutes ago, action said:

Well, seeing how her medical condition is reported on the internet 

So? I'm sure she is not making a secret of having Asperger's or any other kind of disorder, and nor should she. 

Edited by EvanG

I'm not sure why it needed reporting that she has aspergers, in the first place.

why should anyone disclose they have aspergers? What does it matter? does it make you more credible? Less credible? More excempt of criticism? Less?

I suppose I have aspergers too. I'm not diagnosed but when I read the description of it, I see a lot of similarities. A lot of the symptoms used to be classed under "socially unacceptable behaviour", and now society has found a fashionable term to contain the person carrying the "illness".

That's what labels like these are all about, arent they? To contain, to oppress, to judge? For this very reason, the same label is used by some as a protective shield too. "I have aspergers, so don't make fun of me or you're a scumbag". It works both ways. Both are fucking meaningless though, as I said "aspergers" didn't exist in the old days: socially unacceptable behaviour existed.

Some douchebag decided, that socially unacceptable behaviour is a mental disease.

Well, I'm another douchebag, and I'm labeling socially acceptible behaviour as a mental disease. Now what? You'll laugh at my suggestion and my pretence, well, I do the same to those creating the term in the first place, and those that exploit the label to their benefits.

We are all equal as people, and we should be treated equally

Edited by action

31 minutes ago, action said:

I suppose I have aspergers too. I'm not diagnosed but when I read the description of it, I see a lot of similarities. A lot of the symptoms used to be classed under "socially unacceptable behaviour", and now society has found a fashionable term to contain the person carrying the "illness".

That's what labels like these are all about, arent they? To contain, to oppress, to judge? For this very reason, the same label is used by some as a protective shield too. "I have aspergers, so don't make fun of me or you're a scumbag". It works both ways. Both are fucking meaningless though, as I said "aspergers" didn't exist in the old days: socially unacceptable behaviour existed.

Some douchebag decided, that socially unacceptable behaviour is a mental disease.

Well, I'm another douchebag, and I'm labeling socially acceptible behaviour as a mental disease. Now what? You'll laugh at my suggestion and my pretence, well, I do the same to those creating the term in the first place, and those that exploit the label to their benefits.

We are all equal as people, and we should be treated equally

You are something else, I tell ya. 

Asperger's isn't an illness, it's a disorder, a form of autism with different symptoms, it is more than ''socially unacceptable behaviour'', what's wrong with giving it a name? 

29 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You are something else, I tell ya. 

Asperger's isn't an illness, it's a disorder, a form of autism with different symptoms, it is more than ''socially unacceptable behaviour'', what's wrong with giving it a name? 

it's a label, that's what's wrong with it

if you have the label, society puts a whole machine in progress, meant to treat you inferior as someone else. Why, you ask? because people like teachers and stuff don't want to put up with "difficult" kids. Labeling them in a certain way is a very effective way to "remove" them. It's a well oiled machine.

I refuse to take part in this, and I refuse to treat people with a label differently. This means, if such people talk bollox, I reserve the right to call them out on it (and so can you, for the matter)

5 minutes ago, action said:

I refuse to take part in this, and I refuse to treat people with a label differently. This means, if such people talk bollox, I reserve the right to call them out on it (and so can you, for the matter)

She's quoting climate scientists... :facepalm::lol:

Just now, action said:

it's a label, that's what's wrong with it

if you have the label, society puts a whole machine in progress, meant to treat you inferior as someone else. Why, you ask? because people like teachers and stuff don't want to put up with "difficult" kids. Labeling them in a certain way is a very effective way to "remove" them. It's a well oiled machine.

It's not a label. There is nothing wrong with calling someone out on it, even people with Asperger's can learn and deal with their disorder and become more sociable for example, but when someone has a disorder like Asperger's you can take that into consideration and react differently than how you would react to someone who doesn't have that disorder. When I'm playing sports with someone who has a physical disability, I will take that into consideration as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's not a label. There is nothing wrong with calling someone out on it, even people with Asperger's can learn and deal with their disorder and become more sociable for example, but when someone has a disorder like Asperger's you can take that into consideration and react differently than how you would react to someone who doesn't have that disorder. When I'm playing sports with someone who has a physical disability, I will take that into consideration as well.

but even "normal" people, have their own quirks and issues that you could take into consideration. Where does it end, and why should it be different for people who happen to have a mental illness, that features in some medical record? there is a lot to say about the characterisation of certain "illnesses", applied to socially unacceptable behaviour. hundred years ago, the asylums were full of so called "mentally ill" people, for no other reason than having peculiar interests.

11 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

She will look back when she's 30 and fucking cringe. Can imagine her friends pulling up the YouTube and her all like "oh my god Stephanie I told you  not to show me that again ahhh"

What is there to cringe at??

But nah, thats not really how digital natives experience social media. For instance having a Twitter Moment or going viral is a desire of many. But more so they laugh at the olds who dont know how to curate their online presence. For instance grown men mocking an amazing child online. Thats whats cringey. Greta is a hero now and will be a hero then. She's minted. And all her friends will have a digital life forever documented as well.

Most people who've  accidentally gone viral are able to laugh at it, even. Check out Chloe of side eye meme fame:

2 hours ago, action said:

but even "normal" people, have their own quirks and issues that you could take into consideration. Where does it end, and why should it be different for people who happen to have a mental illness, that features in some medical record? there is a lot to say about the characterisation of certain "illnesses", applied to socially unacceptable behaviour. hundred years ago, the asylums were full of so called "mentally ill" people, for no other reason than having peculiar interests.

It's not an illness, it's a disorder. At my previous job we had a guy with autism come in twice a week to help us with simple office stuff, he was part of this program, and every now and then something would go wrong with his computer and he would lose it, start raising his voice and swearing. Do you think we reacted the same way to him as how we would have reacted to someone who doesn't have autism? I mean, come on, this isn't rocket science, I'm sure you understand what I am trying to say here...

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

It's not an illness, it's a disorder. At my previous job we had a guy with autism come in twice a week to help us with simple office stuff, he was part of this program, and every now and then something would go wrong with his computer and he would lose it, start raising his voice and swearing. Do you think we reacted the same way to him as if we would have reacted to someone who doesn't have autism? I mean, come on, this isn't rocket science, I'm sure you understand what I am trying to say here...

well, yeah I agree with that. and good for your team for doing so!

I'm adressing other situations of course. It's not always black and white 

5 minutes ago, Graeme said:

By the shadowy, evil organisations who want us to fall for their tricks and start treating the environment better?

Those organizations aren't actually advocating things that actually would help! I have no problem with her raising awareness. Where this all gets dicey is in the policy proposals which is beyond her scope. Like I said, if you aren't talking about immigration/population control and nuclear energy, you are only dealing with the periphery. 

Edit: And obviously, none of these big entities want to really do anything to change the neoliberal capitalist system, nothing but changes on the periphery anyway. 

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan