Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

Just now, action said:

that's quite a futile thing to get wound up of. If I accept that I'm not sure about anything, will that work better for you? :P

Oh, don't worry about me, it's not like I'm sitting here shouting at the screen and cursing de rode duivels because of you... 

But seriously, this is not the first time I've seen this kind of argument coming from you, and it's my pleasure to call you out on it. Free of charge, of course. 

There are plenty of things one can be sure of in life, for example that I am a very handsome man, but regarding this topic you cannot be sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, action said:

blimey, you're on a self destruct mission or something? :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

(don't mind my strange humour. aspergers will do that to you)

Well as I understand it you ain’t anti-the cause or her standing up for it, just saying that, perhaps, this level of fame/acclaim and acute focus is perhaps not the best thing in the world for a 16 year old girl...I don’t see that as an opinion worthy of such a hoo-ha.  Its an oft-stated position in regards to comparable situations.  I mean go through all the examples in public life...name one thats havin’ a good time right now?  I can see why you might say what you’re sayin’, it don’t seem worth havin’ a fit over.

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well as I understand it you ain’t anti-the cause or her standing up for it, just saying that, perhaps, this level of fame/acclaim and acute focus is perhaps not the best thing in the world for a 16 year old girl...I don’t see that as an opinion worthy of such a hoo-ha.  Its an oft-stated position in regards to comparable situations.  I mean go through all the examples in public life...name one thats havin’ a good time right now?  I can see why you might say what you’re sayin’, it don’t seem worth havin’ a fit over.

we live in an age, where every bastard has easy access to a world wide forum (social media), and the most hatefull things can and will be posted. Not once, not twice, but an avalanche of hate speech (and also good stuff of course, by those supporting greta)

16 year olds have committed suicide for far less. Their ability to put this into perspective is not yet fully developed. Hell, most grown up people would have a hard time coping with such backlash too.

But for some strange reason, so many people are adamant that greta has nerves of steel, she's a boss and will put those world leaders, douchebag congressmen and trolling twitter nutters at their place. While so many people before her, with double her experience, have broken down for less.

I will be the first to admit my mistake, in this very place, should all remain well, and they all live happy after all. I hope to be proven wrong 

Edited by action

9 hours ago, action said:

I see a lot of hate in greta's expression.

I get it, she has a mental issue. I'm not criticising her, just making an observation. Hate caused by a disorder is still hate.

Hate? :question:

I'm sorry but where do you derive from that she's expressing such an awful emotion?

I really doubt Greta has any feeling close to something like "hate". What I see is that she's very passionate about the topic she cares about and probably she feels a bit of rage or frustration for what's going on with the climate but if she was full of hate, she'd not be the brave girl that she is.

As for the rest of your concerns, if she's got a good relationship with her parents and she has friends and family who supports her, I highly doubt that she will be too much affected by the comments made on the Internet. Soon enough she will learn to distinguish constructive criticism from stupid bollocks and if she's wise enough, she will not read one single comment and keep living her life, stuyding, doing whatever she likes to do.

Mental health depends a lot on a person's personal circle and network. If she's got that, if she's got true love and friendships, then she will be just fine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

perhaps

Perhaps it's not, but that's not exactly how he's typing his posts on here, would you say? At one point in this thread he was even making the assumption that her parents are doing this because they crave attention too much... hahaha... he doesn't even know those people! He really doesn't know much about Greta either except for a couple of speeches he has seen, yet he is convinced that she can't handle it and that she has ''bad'' parents. It's almost funny. 

Look, if he would have just said ''I saw her speech and read her tweet and I don't think she can handle the criticism'', then I wouldn't even have quoted him in the first place, because that is his opinion.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're not on the spectrum you apparently just Googled it and self-diagnosed which is almost as ridiculous as your ignorant sweeping statements about Greta and ASD.

Yes, that's what I said earlier. Not diagnosed, but having lots of symptoms. You're incredible.

Not sure why that would make me ridiculous or ignorant. 

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeeeah I'm back to just not bothering lol. I can't do the thinking for the both of us. Maybe there's some kind of language barrier if English isn't your first language? Hopefully that's what it is.

weren't you leaving or something? it's hard to keep up sometimes. Could you update your signature or something, so people know if you're left or back? just a suggestion. Now you're back, but I'm not sure what made you reconsider. If it's to do the thinking for both of us, I would advice stop doing so. Thinking for your own is hard enough, and in your case that's no lie.

another day, another confirmation of my concerns

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7501829/Psychologist-says-hes-worried-mental-wellbeing-climate-change-activist-Greta-Thunberg.html

australian psychologist is worried about mental wellbeing of greta thunberg

interesting quote:

"Dr Michael Carr-Gregg compared Greta's position in the spotlight to the fame of a child TV star who could 'burn out' after being thrust into the spotlight"

that's what I am saying all along!

he also said:

'Can I make it clear, I am not a climate change denier. I actually think that we do need to do more about saving the planet.' 

again, just like what I was saying yesterday

@Oldest Goat seems they have more psychological insight in australia than in new zealand ;)

Edited by action

9 minutes ago, action said:

dr gregg is one of the most respected psychologists in australia

Good for him :)

I get what you are saying, and it must be exciting when someone shares your opinion, but I am sure you could fint plenty of other psychologists who are also willing to diagnose Thunberg from afar and would conclude that they are not concerned with what she is doing, maybe even someone even more respected. Who knows? Hence the cherry-picking comment. 

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Good for him :)

I get what you are saying, and it must be exciting when someone shares your opinion, but I am sure you could fint plenty of other psychologists who are also willing to diagnose Thunberg from afar and would conclude that they are not concerned with what she is doing, maybe even someone even more respected. Who knows? Hence the cherry-picking comment. 

I appreciate your comment. It's a relief to be faced with a response that does not contain insults, for a change. Breath of fresh air :P

But I think by this point I think you have a case of wishfull thinking going on. I "don't" see greta doing well from here on out. I speak from intuition, it was my first impression, and my first impressions usually don't fail me. I'm noticing confirmation for my worries within greta's behaviour, her twitter behaviour, and now by an international psychologist. Contrary to what you think though, I derive little to no excitement of seeing someone share my opinion. So I can't agree with your comment there. Quite on the contrary, my concerns are only increasing, and the comments by this highly respected psychologist do little to take away my concerns.

to those who find the above videos highly offensive: I agree, they are.

this is the kind of stuff that was to be expected. Making fun of serious issues is of all times. Also, it will not stop but only getting worse from here on out. I hope greta will be able to see the humour in this, but I fear she might not. I saw this coming from miles away. Her parents put her in this position, and it fucking makes me mad beyond belief

Edited by action

47 minutes ago, action said:

some very good fucking points made here. agree 100%

No good points, just social media attracting hits crap.

There was no scientific argument, like Greta often cites. I hadn't realised the UK was spinning their climate change figures until Greta visited the UK and pointed it out.

I don't know if she found it out herself, or was advised, but it made the headline news, and was therefore a valuable contribution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

to those who find the above videos highly offensive: I agree, they are.

this is the kind of stuff that was to be expected. Making fun of serious issues is of all times. Also, it will not stop but only getting worse from here on out. I hope greta will be able to see the humour in this, but I fear she might not. I saw this coming from miles away. Her parents put her in this position, and it fucking makes me mad beyond belief

No, they're not ''highly offensive'' for fuck's sake. They're just jokes, which everyone could have seen coming after she gave a ''dramatic'' speech like that, including her. I even had to chuckle when the Belgian guy said ''strekenwijf''. But I doubt Greta will let some silly joke or parody get to her, or I doubt she's watching them anyway, I'm sure she has something better to do. Even if she doesn't see the humour, I'm sure something like this won't keep her up at night. You said that you think you have Asperger's too, and I'm starting to think you are right.

Edited by EvanG
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

No, they're not ''highly offensive'' for fuck's sake. They're just jokes, which everyone could have seen coming after she gave a ''dramatic'' speech like that, including her. I even had to chuckle when the Belgian guy said ''strekenwijf''. But I doubt Greta will let some silly joke or parody get to her, or I doubt she's watching them anyway, I'm sure she has something better to do. Even if she doesn't see the humour, I'm sure something like this won't keep her up at night. You said that you think you have Asperger's too, and I'm starting to think you are right.

wether something is offensive or not, is in the eye of the beholder. People are easily triggered these days, and have been offended for less. hence the disclaimer. I acknowledged that they were jokes, hence my reference to them as "humour".

• Thanks 1