Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How the heck her parents are not being prosecuted for her truancy I'll never know?

when I was a kid I read this comic, about an 11 year old boy and his parrot, who traveled the world in search of adventure and fighting evil corporations. At the start of each comic, he told his parents "I'm going to saudi arabia mum, the sultan needs my help", and his mother would reply "just be back in time for dinner, will ya". It was a silly comic, and looking back at it now, I shake my head at so much drivel. No parent would let their kid go to saudi arabia all by themselves, accompanied by no one but his talking parrot, but that's just how it was.

Imagine seeing this outrageous comic come to life, and everyone seems ok with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, action said:

when I was a kid I read this comic, about an 11 year old boy and his parrot, who traveled the world in search of adventure and fighting evil corporations. At the start of each comic, he told his parents "I'm going to saudi arabia mum, the sultan needs my help", and his mother would reply "just be back in time for dinner, will ya". It was a silly comic, and looking back at it now, I shake my head at so much drivel. No parent would let their kid go to saudi arabia all by themselves, accompanied by no one but his talking parrot, but that's just how it was.

Imagine seeing this outrageous comic come to life, and everyone seems ok with it.

When I was a kid you could get away with truancy a lot more but now they have these whopping big fines, and parents have even been prosecuted. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How the heck her parents are not being prosecuted for her truancy I'll never know?

According to wiki "Education in Sweden is mandatory for children between ages 6 and 15."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Sweden#Upper_Secondary_education

Thats the same as here, where at 15 a child can become emancipated and get a job. Here they can also be non-schooled and homeschooled.

And in your great land she, at 16, could have her GCSE and be in the clear, no? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Certificate_of_Secondary_Education

8 minutes ago, soon said:

According to wiki "Education in Sweden is mandatory for children between ages 6 and 15."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Sweden#Upper_Secondary_education

Thats the same as here, where at 15 a child can become emancipated and get a job. Here they can also be non-schooled and homeschooled.

And in your great land she, at 16, could have her GCSE and be in the clear, no? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Certificate_of_Secondary_Education

I'm sure I was 17 when my GCSEs finished but maybe my memory is hazy.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm sure I wasn't that young but I might be wrong as it is all rather hazy. Underage drinking and truancy compounds my haziness. All I can remember is I had three years in high school, of which the last two were GCSEs. 

Wasn't that in the 1920's though? Laws might have been different then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm sure I wasn't that young but I might be wrong as it is all rather hazy. Underage drinking and truancy compounds my haziness. All I can remember is I had three years in high school, of which the last two were GCSEs. 

From memory the last year of high school would be for 15-16 year olds from September onwards. My birthday is mid August so I started 5th year two weeks after turning 15 and I’d finished all my exams before the following August. 

2 hours ago, action said:

Jommeke's great.

Spoiler

• Like 1

5 hours ago, action said:

it's a label, that's what's wrong with it

if you have the label, society puts a whole machine in progress, meant to treat you inferior as someone else. Why, you ask? because people like teachers and stuff don't want to put up with "difficult" kids. Labeling them in a certain way is a very effective way to "remove" them. It's a well oiled machine.

I refuse to take part in this, and I refuse to treat people with a label differently. This means, if such people talk bollox, I reserve the right to call them out on it (and so can you, for the matter)

Aspergers Syndrom is not really used anymore as far as I know. Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is how it's described. Its not a label its a sort of scale of how people who see the world differently are less able to fit in with mine or your way of seeing it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm glad you saw the facetiousness of it rather than old dick up a sheep's bum up there. 

Too close to home and I missed the quote marks (and the humour) otherwise I'd have realised it was a joke.

It's a bit pathetic though how I can joke about literally anything and is pretty much all I do on here but when someone takes the piss out of a sore point for me personally I get all arsey 😄 

6 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Too close to home and I missed the quote marks (and the humour) otherwise I'd have realised it was a joke.

But it wasn't just a joke. It was an opinion dressed as a joke.

And there are worse things to get offended by than someone rejecting various developmental diagnoses and implying people with such diagnoses should just get a beating.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Aspergers Syndrom is not really used anymore as far as I know. Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is how it's described. Its not a label its a sort of scale of how people who see the world differently are less able to fit in with mine or your way of seeing it.

there is a huge difference with how the scientific world views asperger's syndrome (the post you just made), and how society views and treats it.

the latter is what's affecting these people's lives the most, sadly

even though people on here assure that everything will be fine to her, and I'm overacting, she's already being harrassed and threatened

who would have thought?

this reinforces my worries, and proves that she is not properly supported

Edited by action

9 minutes ago, action said:

this reinforces my worries, and proves that she is not properly supported

Every public figure risks getting harassed and threatened. You can't really escape that except for retreating away from public life. So that's just how it is.

The questions that you need to answer to make a workable argument, are: how does she cope with it, and does she feel it is worth it.

Again, I trust she and her family know this better than me, or you.

Don't be angry,
Greta Thunberg.
Don't be afraid.
Don't be sad.
Don't be tired.
Don't feel anything, really.

And don't be young.

Be more like the others.
More carefree.
Less concerned about doing right.
More jaded.
And ideally a few years older.

We are so concerned for you,
you see,
we see that you are tired, angry and sand and afraid,
and you shouldn't be,
since you are just a child,
you should live a sheltered life
without having to worry about suffering and fear
and wars and strife and climate change,
you shouldn't be afraid of the future and worry,
you should be wrapped in cotton and feel pretty okay all the time.

So don't take responsibility.
Don't fight for what is important.
Don't make a sacrifice.

Tell this to the one you used to be,
when you sat down all alone,
in front of the Parliament in Stockholm one year ago:

Don't do anything before you are a grown-up,
Greta Thunberg.

Suddenly you risk creating a movement
with millions of people taking to the streets
demanding new climate policies.

Because it is better for you
to carry the sorrow and fear alone
and pretend that all is okay
like normal, healthy people do?

And remember:
We say this only from our concern for you, really.
The only thing we want, is to you to feel good.

[Translated from a Norwegian newspaper, by Sindre Skeie]

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Every public figure risks getting harassed and threatened. You can't really escape that except for retreating away from public life. So that's just how it is.

I'll be the last person to dispute that, this is what I'm saying all along. It's called "cancel culture".

A 16 year old kid does not yet have the experience to sense the dangers involved with going to public with her views. In the case of greta, this is now becoming increasingly clear as she's upset with all the hate speech, even threats, that she faces. She has learned this the hard way.

But that shouldn't have happened in the first place. This is, I'm repeating myself here, the responsability of her parents who are more experienced in life, and who should have forseen this. It was an absolute certainty, going into this, that this would happen. An absolute certainty. If they thought "well, the whole world will applaud here, and nothing bad will happen", then they are not capable of being a parent. Such naivity is inexcusable, if you want to raise a kid. I think her parents have a massive responsability in her distress. They are responsible, "in solidum". Not society, not the assholes ridiculing her (cancel culture can not be avoided and should be foreseen). No, her parents.

15 minutes ago, action said:

A 16 year old kid does not yet have the experience to sense the dangers involved with going to public with her views. 

I disagree with such a blanket statement. Every 16 year old may not know this, but the same could be said about every 50 year old. 

The parents know her better than us.