2 more Halloween movies

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nope, completely disagree. The first two are grittier, darker, more atmospheric. Alien is basically a horror film, in that we see the full force of Giger's horrifying creature. The sequels are excellent sequels but basically big budget action films. 

The Freddie Kruger, in the sequels, became a comedic joke character. Don't forget in the original he was a paedophile who had been burnt to death by revengeful parents - quite a dark concept. In the sequels he became this slapstick character. There is some shitty '80s soundtrack: ''WE'RE THE DREAM WARRIORS'' by Ratt or Dokkon or one of those godawful bands. Utter tripe.  

Yes, Freddy DID become a slapstick character in the series (really starting with the 4th film). Having said that, the character ALWAYS had a sick demented sense of humor (starting in the original) In Dream Warriors he is still dark and menacing, the jokes are secondary to his killing. Is the film as scary as the original? No, but it isn't a full on cheese fest like you are saying. Ok, so the soundtrack has Dokken songs on it, and the music video was full on cheese. But those are secondary aspects, not the film itself. Honestly I think you should give it another watch... with an open mind. 

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its flashier and fleshier, its softer, it makes commercial concessions (the emotional terminator  who knows now why you cry) but the first one has that dark foreboding-ness in fitting with the tenets of the Tech Noir genre.  You can truly imagine a horrible future with that one because the tone of it is so dark.  The second one really can't compete with the first.

You dont have to sell me on T1, for the LONGEST time I always felt the first was slightly better. Arnie as the bad guy always felt the "best" to me. But I rewatched them back to back (last summer I believe), and I finally saw what others were saying about T2. Yes it's EVERYTHING you said, but it's also just plain more enjoyable. I think, many people forget "enjoyability" when it comes to movies. If you are watching a movie, and you are just plain "into it" from start to finish, that can't be over looked. That's why I personally LOVED Godzilla King of the Monsters, I ENJOYED the crap out of it from start to finish. Not every movie needs to be a serious, though provoking experience. Sometimes those films are too far up their own butts for my liking anyways. 

While "enjoyability" is subjective, I think most people would agree with me, T2 is more enjoyable than T1. Having said that I STILL love T1, as well as Alien. But the same applies to Alien vs Aliens, Aliens is more enjoyable. Alien drags on in the first half of the film (bordering on boring). Once it picks up, it's great. Bit that first half almost puts me to sleep everytime. Aliens on the other hand I dont have that issue. Again, I'm not ragging on Alien, I LOVE that movie as well. Heck I even really like Prometheus (so it isn't a Ridley Scott vs James Camron) thing.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Freddie Kruger, in the sequels, became a comedic joke character. Don't forget in the original he was a paedophile who had been burnt to death by revengeful parents - quite a dark concept. In the sequels he became this slapstick character.

Very dark. Darker still, iirc, part of the inspiration for the idea of 'dream murders' was from Cambodian refugees. There was a phenomena wherein they would die of their night terrors having been so traumatized.

44 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You dont have to sell me on T1, for the LONGEST time I always felt the first was slightly better. Arnie as the bad guy always felt the "best" to me. But I rewatched them back to back (last summer I believe), and I finally saw what others were saying about T2. Yes it's EVERYTHING you said, but it's also just plain more enjoyable. I think, many people forget "enjoyability" when it comes to movies. If you are watching a movie, and you are just plain "into it" from start to finish, that can't be over looked. That's why I personally LOVED Godzilla King of the Monsters, I ENJOYED the crap out of it from start to finish. Not every movie needs to be a serious, though provoking experience. Sometimes those films are too far up their own butts for my liking anyways. 

While "enjoyability" is subjective, I think most people would agree with me, T2 is more enjoyable than T1. Having said that I STILL love T1, as well as Alien. But the same applies to Alien vs Aliens, Aliens is more enjoyable. Alien drags on in the first half of the film (bordering on boring). Once it picks up, it's great. Bit that first half almost puts me to sleep everytime. Aliens on the other hand I dont have that issue. Again, I'm not ragging on Alien, I LOVE that movie as well. Heck I even really like Prometheus (so it isn't a Ridley Scott vs James Camron) thing.

T1 has more sex and more violence than T2. I cannot think what is more enjoyable than sex and violence?

I am not into all that cheesy '80s American horror, but I have a friend who is. 

PS

Arnie takes his eye out for crying out loud. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

T1 has more sex and more violence than T2. I cannot think what is more enjoyable than sex and violence?

I am not into all that cheesy '80s American horror, but I have a friend who is. 

PS

Arnie takes his eye out for crying out loud. 

For the love of all things holy, you call Dream Warriors "cheesy 80s horror" again, I'm gonna fly over to Britain and strap you down (like Clockwork Orange) and force you to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Ghoulies, Critters 1, 2, and 3, and Puppet Master 1, 2, and 3 ALL of repeat. Just so you will ACTUALLY know what cheesy 80s horror looks like. 😁

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

14 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

For the love of all things holy, you call Dream Warriors "cheesy 80s horror" again, I'm gonna fly over to Britain and strap you down (like Clockwork Orange) and force you to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Ghoulies, Critters 1, 2, and 3, and Puppet Master 1, 2, and 3 ALL of repeat. Just so you will ACTUALLY know what cheesy 80s horror looks like. 😁

I bet she would've preferred Fred Kruger coming through the wall than a 1980s Sunset Strip woofta with a BC Rich.

Edited by DieselDaisy

16 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I see what you’re getting at but I don’t feel that way, to be something is either entertaining or its not...so since they are both entertaining what I’m left with is a search for substance, which there is more of in T1.  Even its ending, though sort of happy, kind of isn’t as well...cuz she kinda rides off into a decidedly unappealling future, T2 is like a disneyfied version of T1 to me.  I don’t think faster editing, more explosions and a higher body count makes for a better movie.  Some of it kinda detracts from the overall symmetry of tone that T1 has that makes it, to me, the more polished piece.

• Like 1

They should really go back to the widescreen format of the first two Halloweens. Whether people know it or not, that beautiful 2.3:51 aspect ratio played a huge part in how the "mood" of those first two films was established. 

Digital video, really does not cut it when you're trying to make a scary movie - it looks too "real," hardly cinematic.

These are film nerd grievances but I don't think the audience realizes they should care about them. Can you imagine if Hitchcock had shot Psycho on a digital camera? It would not have carried the same weight nor would have evoked the same responses.

3 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

They should really go back to the widescreen format of the first two Halloweens. Whether people know it or not, that beautiful 2.3:51 aspect ratio played a huge part in how the "mood" of those first two films was established. 

Digital video, really does not cut it when you're trying to make a scary movie - it looks too "real," hardly cinematic.

These are film nerd grievances but I don't think the audience realizes they should care about them. Can you imagine if Hitchcock had shot Psycho on a digital camera? It would not have carried the same weight nor would have evoked the same responses.

I would also add that the color pallet for the 2018 wasnt very good. The original was very blue, grey, etc. Even Halloween 2 has a lot of red and orange to it. The 2018 film doesn't have ANY of that going on, to your point, maybe it's the modern cameras?

On 8/3/2019 at 7:39 AM, Flake said:

Is there any truth that rob zombie made his second remake shit on purpose because he was having fights with producers or sth?

that was by far the worst ever. I enjoyed his first remake though

His Halloween 2 movie is BEYOND dreadful. I would argue it's the WORST film in the franchise (and 5 and 8 are pretty dreadful). For the record I dislike his Halloween 1 as well (although I dpnt hate it, it's just a FAR departure from who Michael Myers is imo. Having said that, it's not terrible.) The second one is just plain garbage though. 

I dont know if he was having problems with the producers or not, regardless its garbage. I say that as a fan of his House of 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects films. So I dont hate Zombie, like some horror fans do. But I DO wish he never touched Halloween.