Amazon Fires

AtariLegend

The fires in the Amazon are saddening.  No one likes seeing nature destroyed. 

That said, it's been going on for decades. 

But it takes a conservative president in Brasil for liberals to notice. 

That's about as shameful as the fires themselves.  

#foodforthought

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

The fires in the Amazon are saddening.  No one likes seeing nature destroyed. 

That said, it's been going on for decades. 

But it takes a conservative president in Brasil for liberals to notice. 

That's about as shameful as the fires themselves.  

#foodforthought

Bullshit, it's always been a seminal news story here since I was a kid. Difference is it's a story every day now with the rise and in the attitude of the current administration. 

...And yes it's been Newsnight (bbc) regularly for months now here in the uk, not just the past few weeks. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Bullshit, it's always been a seminal news story here since I wad a kid. Difference is it's a story every day now with the rise and in the attitude of the current administration. 

...And yes it's been Newsnight (bbc) regularly for months now here in the uk, not just the past few weeks. 

Yeah except it really hasn't.  Other than maybe a side article in National Geographic, it's never been a main stream media and social media story.  If you don't think politics has anything to do with this becoming a worldwide media frenzy, then you're just being naive.  Either that or you're that far left that you believe everything is the right's fault.  Smh. 

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

Bullshit, it's always been a seminal news story here since I wad a kid. Difference is it's a story every day now with the rise and in the attitude of the current administration. 

Not to the point of having the french commander-in-chief cry for sanctions. That is for sure. Kasanova King is right. It took a conservative for y'all go ape shit over it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

All i know is that since the new president crime and povety has exploded and he basicly has given the green light to companies to burn some forest.

Actually crime has taken a huge dip after he became president. That has been on the news a month ago.

As for poverty, there are no new data from IBGE right now, other than that poverty rose in 2017 and 2018, before Bolsonaro became president. Poverty has been on the rise since 2014 when Dilma managed to make Brazil go thru its worst recession in recent history:

375px-Crescimento-do-PIB-do-Brasil-entrepichost

PIB here stands for GDP. It is showing how it progressed through 2010-2016.

What are your sources to claim that?

Edited by Chewbacca

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Not to the point of having the french commander-in-chief cry for sanctions. That is for sure. Kasanova King is right. It took a conservative for y'all go ape shit over it.

What do you think is a solution?  What needs  to be be done? 

What is a normal amount?  

If the Amazon is the world’s lungs then it should not be put all on Brazil. 

How much of the fire is out of control? How much is in control? Etc

Fires are nature’s way of fertilizing the soil btw. If you  leave it alone after it burns it will produxe fertile soil and come back better than before  

Brazil is a huge country.  Almost as big as the US.  And Brazilians are very cool people.  The ones I’ve met in my life. Hard working.  Very good at sales and marketing. And  proud but respectful.  And honest. And naturally good looking folks. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

So when it comes i to the Amazon who is anyone to criticize another country? 

It’s a media frenzy because some people don’t like conservatives.  It should have been a media frenzy 20 years ago.

I remember trying to save paper... to save the rainforest.  Never heard of the fires. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

What do you think is a solution?  What needs  to be be done? 

What is a normal amount?  

If the Amazon is the world’s lungs then it should not be put all on Brazil. 

How much of the fire is out of control? How much is in control? Etc

Fires are nature’s way of fertilizing the solid btw. If you  leave it alone after it burns it will produxe fertile soil and come back better than before  

Brazil is a huge country.  Almost as big as the US.  And Brazilians are very cool people.  The ones I’ve met in my life. Hard working.  Very good at sales and marketing. And  proud but respectful.  And honest. And naturally good looking folks. 

Farmers set the fires. They shouldnt. Its because of poverty and market pressures. Youre talking as if they are all natural. 

Whats different now, as supported by the facts, is that the number of fires started to clear farmland has skyrocketed since last year and its all because Bolsanaro took power with a promise to open up the Amazon to business. And they have hired DC lobbyists to do just that...

But yeah, facts. They just get in the way :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Farmers set the fires. They shouldnt. Its because of poverty and market pressures. Youre talking as if they are all natural. 

Whats different now, as supported by the facts, is that the number of fires started to clear farmland has skyrocketed since last year and its all because Bolsanaro took power with a promise to open up the Amazon to business. And they have hired DC lobbyists to do just that...

But yeah, facts. They just get in the way :) 

Except the numbers don't support your agenda.  NOTHING has "Skyrocketed".  Not from a statistical standpoint when you look at the last few decades. 

That said, I really don't want to get into a political argument.  The numbers from a mathematical perspective are slightly higher this year but not even close to be considered an abnormal deviation. That's the math.

This is coming from a non partisan, independent person that believes the environment has INDEED been affected by mankind.  So when you folks want to "cry wolf" keep in mind there are actually folks out here that don't give a damn about politics and only focus on the issue at hand.

So if you want to reduce the Amazon fires, you should start with a realistic plan.  Something other than "blaming the farmers because they are victims of capitalism and the West". 

How can we reduce the fires?  How can we let these farmers continue to make a living while reducing the fires? 

25 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Except the numbers don't support your agenda.  NOTHING has "Skyrocketed".  Not from a statistical standpoint when you look at the last few decades. 

That said, I really don't want to get into a political argument.  The numbers from a mathematical perspective are slightly higher this year but not even close to be considered an abnormal deviation. That's the math.

This is coming from a non partisan, independent person that believes the environment has INDEED been affected by mankind.  So when you folks want to "cry wolf" keep in mind there are actually folks out here that don't give a damn about politics and only focus on the issue at hand.

So if you want to reduce the Amazon fires, you should start with a realistic plan.  Something other than "blaming the farmers because they are victims of capitalism and the West". 

How can we reduce the fires?  How can we let these farmers continue to make a living while reducing the fires? 

Strange about words I didnt say appearing in quotations.... :question:

No, dude. The number skyrocketed. And its because of who came into power. Its easily demonstrated and has been repeatedly to the satisfaction of anyone willing to be honest about this.

Unfortunately the answer is one that you dont seem to want to hear. So you are part of the problem. :shrugs: The history of these fires has historically been tied to corporations pushing a neoliberal agenda. This is the first Ive seen were the govt is lobbying the multinationals instead of the other way around. Not one of you apologists has addressed the lobbyist. No surprise.

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

It’s a media frenzy because some people don’t like conservatives.  It should have been a media frenzy 20 years ago.

He is most certainly not a conservative. And people dont like right wingers because they do things like pledge to open up the Amazon Forests and then take action to follow through on the ecocidal misadventure.

This has been a media issue for as long as I can remember. It was actually the first/one of the very first issues that got me movement-involved as a kiddo. My church made up a working group to do our part. I was a knee high so I think I remember helping make the wheat paste and thats about it. :lol:

So like I say, the issue was traditionally the corporations pushing for deforestation, that is different then this situation today. Also different is that the fash promised to commit the ecocide. How anyone can just ignore that he promised this is beyond me.

Also different is that climate scientists have given a warning that we have 12 years to address stuff... we aint got time for this fash or having people accept this blatant propaganda.

Edited by soon

48 minutes ago, soon said:

Strange about words I didnt say appearing in quotations.... :question:

No, dude. The number skyrocketed. And its because of who came into power. Its easily demonstrated and has been repeatedly to the satisfaction of anyone willing to be honest about this.

Unfortunately the answer is one that you dont seem to want to hear. So you are part of the problem. :shrugs: The history of these fires has historically been tied to corporations pushing a neoliberal agenda. This is the first Ive seen were the govt is lobbying the multinationals instead of the other way around. Not one of you apologists has addressed the lobbyist. No surprise.

He is most certainly not a conservative. And people dont like right wingers because they do things like pledge to open up the Amazon Forests and then take action to follow through on the ecocidal misadventure.

This has been a media issue for as long as I can remember. It was actually the first/one of the very first issues that got me movement-involved as a kiddo. My church made up a working group to do our part. I was a knee high so I think I remember helping make the wheat paste and thats about it. :lol:

So like I say, the issue was traditionally the corporations pushing for deforestation, that is different then this situation today. Also different is that the fash promised to commit the ecocide. How anyone can just ignore that he promised this is beyond me.

Also different is that climate scientists have given a warning that we have 12 years to address stuff... we aint got time for this fash or having people accept this blatant propaganda.

No, it actually has not "Sky rocketed".  Not from a mathematical perspective. 

I understand that math and statistics may not be your strong suit...and that's ok.  Please understand when I tell you that from a mathematical/statistical perspective, it is well within standard deviation....especially when you can look back a few years and see close to the same numbers....I am telling you mathematical/statistical facts. (Theory)  Not opinion.   It's called "sample size".  Us numbers guys ...when we see a stat shoot up one year...the first thing we do is look back 5 years, then 10 years, etc.  

That said, maybe the farmers felt they could "burn more" this year because they had a pro-business president.  That could be a reason...among (literally 1000 other reasons) that the fires increased.  From a math perspective, you would get destroyed in a court of law.  But let's just say some of these farmers got excited since they had a "pro-business" president and burned more,    So how do we control it?

So i will ask you again....

How do we reduce the fires?  How can we reduce the fires and let these farmers survive? 

Edited by Kasanova King

9 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

No, it actually has not "Sky rocketed".  Not from a mathematical perspective. 

I understand that math and statistics may not be your strong suit...and that's ok.  Please understand when I tell you that from a mathematical/statistical perspective, it is well within standard deviation....especially when you can look back a few years and see close to the same numbers....I am telling you mathematical facts.  Not opinion.   It's called "sample size".  Us numbers guys ...when we see a stat shoot up one year...the first thing we do is look back 5 years, then 10 years, etc.  

That said, maybe the farmers felt they could "burn more" this year because they had a pro-business president.  That could be a reason...among (literally 1000 other reasons) that the fires increased.  From a math perspective, you would get destroyed in a court of law.  But let's just say some of these farmers got excited since they had a "pro-business" president and burned more,    So how do we control it?

So i will ask you again....

How do we reduce the fires?  How can we reduce the fires and let these farmers survive? 

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh that is rich. I will continue to believe the scientists.

11 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Ouster the maniac, and undo neoliberalism.

• Like 1

Also answer me this - why did Bolsanaro get so freaked out by the numbers and call them a smear campaign and then fire the lead who wrote the report?? :facepalm: 

Hint: Its because the number are shocking and he felt it made him look bad (which it does).

1 minute ago, soon said:

Believe the scientists?  No man, this is actually really simple math and statistics.  As in one college course of statistics.  (Maybe another if your into it).

No one is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, bro.  

And I'm actually on your side to the extent that I would like to see the fires reduced. 

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Actually crime has taken a huge dip after he became president. That has been on the news a month ago.

As for poverty, there are no new data from IBGE right now, other than that poverty rose in 2017 and 2018, before Bolsonaro became president. Poverty has been on the rise since 2014 when Dilma managed to make Brazil go thru its worst recession in recent history:

375px-Crescimento-do-PIB-do-Brasil-entrepichost

PIB here stands for GDP. It is showing how it progressed through 2010-2016.

What are your sources to claim that?

I dunno about the rest of the country but i was in Rio last month and EVERYBODY said that crime is on the rise and that its not been this bad in years.

Also less security by the cops. Less founding.

I saw an doc on european tv also on the risen crime levels of rio that was made this month.

I think brazil has alot of fake news too.

Remember bolsanaro likes the old days of total military control. Not really democratic isint it.

And when i say crime. I dont mean corrupted rich business people laundering money. 

I mean murders, robberies ect

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Also answer me this - why did Bolsanaro get so freaked out by the numbers and call them a smear campaign and then fire the lead who wrote the report?? :facepalm: 

Hint: Its because the number are shocking and he felt it made him look bad (which it does).

I can't answer that.  And maybe politics played a side in his argument.  But the overall numbers/stats don't lie.

3 hours ago, soon said:

No. You're not believing the scientists. I showed you NASA's report on it and they say it is within the usual range and they have a way bigger datapool. The INPE stuff I brought here also showed you that it is just slightly higher than 2016. I showed a report that this is not even a record within this decade, 2010 is the record holder and even then it was not considered a HUGE deviation and was within our yearly expectations.

You're being stubborn, imature and ignorant. When you're wrong just be the better man and admit it. You're ignoring all the stats we're giving you and misinterpreting what you brought. Inpe only said queimadas had an 83% increase compared to 2013. THAT'S IT. It didn't say it was a huge deviation. The media blew it out of the water. All you're doing is saying that queimadas rose this year, which is true, but we're showing that it is within the usual range and not even all time high for the decade and you're ignoring it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

I dunno about the rest of the country but i was in Rio last month and EVERYBODY said that crime is on the rise and that its not been this bad in years.

Also less security by the cops. Less founding.

I saw an doc on european tv also on the risen crime levels of rio that was made this month.

I think brazil has alot of fake news too.

Remember bolsanaro likes the old days of total military control. Not really democratic isint it.

And when i say crime. I dont mean corrupted rich business people laundering money. 

I mean murders, robberies ect

Well, yeah. Violent crimes were the ones that decreased sharply. Anyways, you're gringo then? Not from here? Coming here and asking around is not a good way to measure crime and stuff.

10 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

Any statistics on this?

Well yeah, the video I posted earlier. Here's another source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/noticias.r7.com/brasil/primeiro-mes-de-bolsonaro-registra-queda-dos-indices-de-criminalidade-20052019%3famp

It says violent crime was reduced by 24-25%

Here, I used google translator and there's not much translation noise:

Despite the result, homicide rate is still high

The number of murders, killings (robbery followed by death), cargo theft, vehicle and other crimes were reduced in January, Jair Bolsonaro's first month as President of the Republic.

The data are from Sinesp (National Information System for Public Safety, Prison, Arms and Ammunition Traceability, Genetic Material, Digital and Drug). This is the first time numbers have been released in a standardized and official manner.

Nine crimes included in the report: rape, vehicle theft, willful murder, personal injury followed by death, theft of the financial institution, cargo theft, vehicle theft, murder and attempted murder.

In January 2018, there were 58,059 registrations. In 2019, 44,207: reduction of 23.85%. The only state that did not enter the statistics was Paraná, which had not made the data available.

Murder cases fell by 20.63% (3,600) compared with January 2018. The killings fell by 11.87% (141 cases in 2019).

In 2018 Brazil recorded an average of 24.02 homicide victims per 100,000 inhabitants. The world average is 6.4 per 100,000 people.

The number of reported rape cases fell from 4,096 in January 2018 to 3,663 in the same month this year, down 10.57%.

Vehicle and cargo theft dropped 28.5% (16,172 cases) and 27.3% (1,521 cases), respectively.

Already theft of vehicles totaled 18,170 cases, presenting a reduction of 13.55% in the month analyzed.

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Holy shit some of you are fucking stupid and sick. Scientists are the ones that decide if its a problem or not. Its a problem

Bro, it's been an issue for decades.  That's the point. 

3 hours ago, Lio said:

Bolivia's burning too. No rightwing president there. It's not a leftwing-rightwing problem.

Exactly.  

As is Columbia, Venezuela, Guyana, Peru,  Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina etc etc

Image result for map south america fires