Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

22 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Honestly, my only problem with Ezrin (with respect to Floyd) was that he should have made good on his word and gone to the KAOS project. I really think Floyd was going to make an 80s sounding record no matter who produced it at that point.

Aa far as Waters being hopefully on KAOS, I've never really thought about what would've triggered that. I mean, the Live Aid reference is there, but I don't know if I've ever thought about that being the main driver. 

I'm any case, he swung way back to his old ways on AFD anyway haha. AFD is second only to The Wall for me, so I'm glad he did swing back. I really like his latest effort as well. I don't think it got nearly the attention it deserves. 

Yeah, good thing he didnt stay so positive :lol: Amused is so amazing. My favourite of his too. I love Jeff Beck and the Amused material is as good a vehicle for his playing as anything on Becks own albums, imho. That flourish of melody that closes Its A Miracle might be my favourite peice of guitar music - and its relatively short.

I completely chickened out of listening to Waters latest. I actually liked what I heard from promos and have heard more since, even a few tracks in full. But I think I was scared by Floyds Louder Than Words. I did not connect with that track at all and... I have no words it was like my own personal The Phantom Menace. So I intend to listen to it and love it. Just not yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, good thing he didnt stay so positive :lol: Amused is so amazing. My favourite of his too. I love Jeff Beck and the Amused material is as good a vehicle for his playing as anything on Becks own albums, imho. That flourish of melody that closes Its A Miracle might be my favourite peice of guitar music - and its relatively short.

I completely chickened out of listening to Waters latest. I actually liked what I heard from promos and have heard more since, even a few tracks in full. But I think I was scared by Floyds Louder Than Words. I did not connect with that track at all and... I have no words it was like my own personal The Phantom Menace. So I intend to listen to it and love it. Just not yet.

Side note; I'm guessing Axl loves ATD as well because he's tweeted lyrics from it before. He tweeted a line from Watching TV once and tweeted something else from the album, but I can't remember exactly what now. 

I'll say this about Is This The Life.... It's definitely not ATD, but it's also not trying to be. It's definitely a good album, but it's a grower. I liked some things immediately but thought other things were bland. It's grown on me to the point now where I have to listen to a lot of it when I put it on. ATD grew on me the same way, so we'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

guys the topic isn't solo work from floyd members 

its floyd discussion 

someone mentioned meddle which deserves further discussion and still need further illumination regarding syd era 

LOL, my bad. Seems like all Floyd related discussion could just go in this one thread, no? 

As far as Meddle goes, I think it's criminally underrated. Sure, One Of These Days and Echoes get a lot of attention but that's about it. I think San Tropez, A Pillow of Winds, Seamus and especially Fearless all have their merits. 

Fearless might be the most underrated Floyd track for me. I saw The Black Crowes cover it years ago which was exciting. Outside of that, I don't think I've ever heard of it being referenced anywhere other than Floyd message boards. 

On November 7, 2019 at 3:39 PM, RussTCB said:

Side note; I'm guessing Axl loves ATD as well because he's tweeted lyrics from it before. He tweeted a line from Watching TV once and tweeted something else from the album, but I can't remember exactly what now. 

I'll say this about Is This The Life.... It's definitely not ATD, but it's also not trying to be. It's definitely a good album, but it's a grower. I liked some things immediately but thought other things were bland. It's grown on me to the point now where I have to listen to a lot of it when I put it on. ATD grew on me the same way, so we'll see how it goes. 

I never knew about those tweets - thats cool! Im sure I remember Axl speaking highly of The Final Cut too. That made me respect Axl even more.

I had intended to give it a spin and then reply. But I still havent :facepalm::lol:. Its nice to have the insight that its a grower. We have Remembrance Day (for vets) approaching and ITTLWW might suit that occasion well. 

I'll check it out soon

• Like 1

13 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

guys the topic isn't solo work from floyd members 

its floyd discussion 

someone mentioned meddle which deserves further discussion and still need further illumination regarding syd era 

Well... A Momentary lapse of Reason is legit a solo album in everything but name? :P

Meddle is great. And I think its worth noting that the band photo on the LP gate fold is both incredibly rare and awesome. Echoes lyrics really solidifies Waters sense of 'him' and the 'other(s).' Far more empathetic and youthful here though! :lol:. Elsewhere we see the solidification of other Floyd tropes. The barking dog in Seamus both harkened back to that stage production they did about a day in the life of a man and it also looks forward to Dogs. And the whole household objects thing that continues with the clocks in Time and the wine glasses on Shine On. Fearless has that soccer stadium song "youll never walk alone" and to me Waters explores both the positives and negatives about large groups of like minded people gathered in crowds frequently there after. Waters tension around large groups even inspired The Wall. His current touring places a lot of hope in the large gathering experience. So yeah, Meddle is a big step in Floyd, imho. :headbang:

What did you mean about Syd being involved with the occult?

Edited by soon

21 minutes ago, soon said:

Well... A Momentary lapse of Reason is legit a solo album in everything but name? :P

Meddle is great. And I think its worth noting that the band photo on the LP gate fold is both incredibly rare and awesome. Echoes lyrics really solidifies Waters sense of 'him' and the 'other(s).' Far more empathetic and youthful here though! :lol:. Elsewhere we see the solidification of other Floyd tropes. The barking dog in Seamus both harkened back to that stage production they did about a day in the life of a man and it also looks forward to Dogs. And the whole household objects thing that continues with the clocks in Time and the wine glasses on Shine On. Fearless has that soccer stadium song "youll never walk alone" and to me Waters explores both the positives and negatives about large groups of like minded people gathered in crowds frequently there after. Waters tension around large groups even inspired The Wall. His current touring places a lot of hope in the large gathering experience. So yeah, Meddle is a big step in Floyd, imho. :headbang:

yeah the liverpool song is epic - you'll never walk alone - im a chelsea fan tho :( 

Re: Syd, i'm guessing.... some of the songs on piper seem very much devil induced 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soon said:

I've always seen Echoes as 4 pieces:

The first verse is a man at the end of the day, with tons of thoughts going to his head as he tries to go to sleep. I think the funk sequence is a a trippy / fun sort of dream that happens soon after he's asleep. I think the entire next section is a nightmare. Then the last verse is the moment he wakes up and starts thinking about the promise of a new day. 

• GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've always seen Echoes as 4 pieces:

The first verse is a man at the end of the day, with tons of thoughts going to his head as he tries to go to sleep. I think the funk sequence is a a trippy / fun sort of dream that happens soon after he's asleep. I think the entire next section is a nightmare. Then the last verse is the moment he wakes up and starts thinking about the promise of a new day. 

My head is spinning - I think you nailed it!! :headbang:I have to think about this more, but right off the bat your description of it kinda brings to mind the idea of 'the dark night of the soul.' And the imagery of Pompei is kinda coming into focus from your analysis, too.

Very cool!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soon said:

My head is spinning - I think you nailed it!! :headbang:I have to think about this more, but right off the bat your description of it kinda brings to mind the idea of 'the dark night of the soul.' And the imagery of Pompei is kinda coming into focus from your analysis, too.

Very cool!

Thanks! It's my own original theory that I came up with years and years ago. I've never seen or heard it from anyone else, but I think I'm right. At the very least, it works for me lol. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yeah the liverpool song is epic - you'll never walk alone - im a chelsea fan tho :( 

Re: Syd, i'm guessing.... some of the songs on piper seem very much devil induced 

I wish Floyd had cut a Chelsea song! Cool to learn its a Liverpool track though.

Hmmm, Im trying to relate about the Syd stuff....But so far as the music and lyrics go, I just dont see it, personally. Candy and Currant bun seems exceedingly innocent as does Scarecrow :shrugs: Ive heard it said that a lot of his lyrics are a reflection on childhood in English culture. As a Chelsea fan youd obviously have far more insight then myself about the idea of English nostalgia aspect though. The psychedelia state side was also very nostalgic for a past era (Working Mans Dead, The Band, Janis' Summertime cover)

47 minutes ago, soon said:

I wish Floyd had cut a Chelsea song! Cool to learn its a Liverpool track though.

Hmmm, Im trying to relate about the Syd stuff....But so far as the music and lyrics go, I just dont see it, personally. Candy and Currant bun seems exceedingly innocent as does Scarecrow :shrugs: Ive heard it said that a lot of his lyrics are a reflection on childhood in English culture. As a Chelsea fan youd obviously have far more insight then myself about the idea of English nostalgia aspect though. The psychedelia state side was also very nostalgic for a past era (Working Mans Dead, The Band, Janis' Summertime cover)

17 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Oh right, I should have thought of this one, sorry :lol: 

To me if we are going to take the words "Lucifer Sam" at face value, then we should take all the words at face value? The following words state that Sam is a Siamese cat. Syd had a cat named Sam and a girlfriend named Jenifer IRL at the time. Siamese cats apparently always shadow their owner. So Syd can be heard as becoming frustrated by this when he sings "go to sea... Somewhere, anywhere."

To me beyond the fact that Syd was tripping out and its nonsense, he was maybe connecting the stalking cat to the notion of "the devil on your shoulder." Which is just a folksy way of say that we humans need to always be cautious to do right and avoid temptation.

Ive heard theories that its about either a dude who is always following around Syds gf Jennifer (like a siamese cat) and it pisses Syd off. Or that Sam is Syds own ever present male companion who has asked Syd not to explain the nature of their relationship. I dunno about those.

But I just learned this fan theory and I find it compelling. Also the song had a different name originally:

Spoiler

"Lucifer Sam was probably recorded in late May or June of 1967, and seems to be inspired by one of Syd's cats. The working title for this song was Percy the Ratcatcher, and the band even contemplated making a film called 'The Life Story of Percy the Ratcatcher,' though this project never materialized.

One of the song's more obscure lyrics, 'you're the left side/he's the right side' was a reference to a current preoccupation in underground culture, that of the difference between the left and right sides of the brain. People who were logical and pragmatic were said to be dominated by the left side, whereas the artistic and intuitive set primarily used the right side."

Syd Barrett: "Lucifer Sam was another of those quite obscure pieces. It didn't mean much to me at the time, but after three or four months, it began to assume a precise meaning."

https://floydlyrics.blogspot.com/2010/03/lucifer-sam.html

uKzuaD1h.jpg

Is there anybody out there who owns The Wall live album from the original tour? Great set with a book of really incredible pictures from the shows and era. Each band member and Scarfe wrote brief reflections for the book to - really cool stuff. Without this book it would be really difficult for me to picture what an incredible, ambitious and unique show they put on for The Wall. 

Havent listened to it for a minute, but I love the extended guitar solo in Mother - worth the set alone imho. Theres a few extended pieces and theatre since they needed time to build the physical wall and all the other effects and staging.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, soon said:

uKzuaD1h.jpg

Is there anybody out there who owns The Wall live album from the original tour? Great set with a book of really incredible pictures from the shows and era. Each band member and Scarfe wrote brief reflections for the book to - really cool stuff. Without this book it would be really difficult for me to picture what an incredible, ambitious and unique show they put on for The Wall. 

Havent listened to it for a minute, but I love the extended guitar solo in Mother - worth the set alone imho. Theres a few extended pieces and theatre since they needed time to build the physical wall and all the other effects and staging.  

I absolutely adore this alvum. For me, it's THE version of The Wall. 

For those that complain about The Wall being kind of a solo effort, this is the version they need to hear. It sounds like a band playing the album. Dave adds solos and improves on his own work on the album. Nick plays better than he did on the album. The big draw for me is Rick though. When you really listen to the keys all through this album, you'll hear what could have been. 

I want badly for this version to get a vinyl pressing. I really hope it's in the works because if it ever gets pressed, I sincerely doubt I'll ever listen to my original pressing of The Wall ever again. 

• Like 1

I bought "dark side of the moon" as a taster of this band, and I'm not excited.

Music has to make me happy, or there is no point. As I get older, I'm increasingly getting critical and cynical as what I find good music. It has to "swing" from the moment you press play.

I much prefer music by the King, something like, say, his first album. A voice. A guitar box featuring as a drum kit. A Bass. A guitar. Lawdy miss clawdy, don't be cruel, mystery train... 

Sometimes, you don't have to seek it too far when you want to make good music.

8 minutes ago, action said:

Music has to make me happy, or there is no point. As I get older, I'm increasingly getting critical and cynical as what I find good music. It has to "swing" from the moment you press play.

I much prefer music by the King, something like, say, his first album. A voice. A guitar box featuring as a drum kit. A Bass. A guitar. Lawdy miss clawdy, don't be cruel, mystery train... 

Sometimes, you don't have to seek it too far when you want to make good music.

Sounds you're just a fan of far more basic music. That doesn't indicated that Floyd makes bad music. It just means it's far more complex than what you're looking for personally. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Sounds you're just a fan of far more basic music. That doesn't indicated that Floyd makes bad music. It just means it's far more complex than what you're looking for personally. 

complex stuff just gives me a headache.

At some point, I just stopped pretending complex music is of any value to me. I gave it a chance, but it isn't for me.

So I discarded a large part of my music collection, and these days I listen to simple stuff, even preferring raw demos over produced material. If it's recorded with pots and pans, but if it has heart, then I can so much appreciate it.

Edited by action

Just now, action said:

complex stuff just gives me a headache.

At some point, I just stopped pretending complex music is of any value to me. I gave it a chance, but it isn't for me.

So I discarded a large part of my music collection, and these days I listen to simple stuff, even preferring to raw demos over produced material. If it's recorded with pots and pans, but if it has heart, then I can so much appreciate it.

Fair enough. There's still room for all different types of music, in my world at least. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, action said:

If it's recorded with pots and pans, but if it has heart, then I can so much appreciate it.

Funny you should mention pots and pans - Floyds done that! I believe there are pots and pans on this Pink Floyd 'Household Objects' recording. Along with vibrating wine glasses, a rubber band, water going down drains and what not.

That one might not have much heart but the wine glasses on their own is quite stirring imho:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, action said:

This is definitely not the band for you. Never play them again.

• Haha 1

On November 14, 2019 at 9:34 AM, RussTCB said:

I absolutely adore this alvum. For me, it's THE version of The Wall. 

For those that complain about The Wall being kind of a solo effort, this is the version they need to hear. It sounds like a band playing the album. Dave adds solos and improves on his own work on the album. Nick plays better than he did on the album. The big draw for me is Rick though. When you really listen to the keys all through this album, you'll hear what could have been. 

I want badly for this version to get a vinyl pressing. I really hope it's in the works because if it ever gets pressed, I sincerely doubt I'll ever listen to my original pressing of The Wall ever again. 

You werent kidding - I listened to it twice now and the playing/singing is fantastic! A vinyl pressing should be the definitive recording. And the recording itself is really well done (cant tell its live a lot of the time). Ricks playing makes all the difference. And the band energy adds a lot, especially adds a lot of weight to the spousal violence and fascist songs. Run Like Hell is so visceral.

The drums are top shelf. And it feels like Mason, but there are two drummers? It mostly sounds like one drummer to me though. So who's doing what?

Incidentally, I thought you might like to hear the just released remaster of Run Like Hell from DST, if you havent already. It sounds more like to drummers in just a few places (two fills where Mason plays the pattern on snare and the other drum on toms and roto-toms section). But The Wall take sounds more uniform, and larger, to my ears. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, soon said:

You werent kidding - I listened to it twice now and the playing/singing is fantastic! A vinyl pressing should be the definitive recording. And the recording itself is really well done (cant tell its live a lot of the time). Ricks playing makes all the difference. And the band energy adds a lot, especially adds a lot of weight to the spousal violence and fascist songs. Run Like Hell is so visceral.

The drums are top shelf. And it feels like Mason, but there are two drummers? It mostly sounds like one drummer to me though. So who's doing what?

Incidentally, I thought you might like to hear the just released remaster of Run Like Hell from DST, if you havent already. It sounds more like to drummers in just a few places (two fills where Mason plays the pattern on snare and the other drum on toms and roto-toms section). But The Wall take sounds more uniform, and larger, to my ears. 

Glad you really took a listen to that version of The Wall. It's stunningly good IMO. 

I'm not too sure how to feel about the Delicate Sound remix / remaster after I heard that Run Like Hell yesterday. 

First off, I'm super pissed that you have to buy the over priced boxed set just to get the blu-ray. I've only ever seen the film on VHS and would have loved to have seen it on blu-ray, but I'm not paying for that whole set just to get it. 

Anyways, the thing that concerns me with that Run Like Hell is that it sounds like more than a remix and remaster to me. I know the original Delicate Sound like the back of my hand and I'm certain there are different vocals being used here and there. There's also some different guitar parts and keys from the original too. Doesn't sound bad per se, just different. I'm kinda concerned about hearing the rest of it now. 

Edit because I forgot to address the two drummers on The Wall Live-

Yes, everyone in the band was doubled up for The Wall Live. Two drummers, two keyboards, two guitarists and even two bass players. They needed everyone to accurately replicate everything on the album. 

I believe the tightness of the band at that time came from Roger's stern hand. Gilmour is so much more laid back that he probably didn't care so much about that by the time they did the Momentary Lapse tour. 

• Like 1

i;ll check out that wall album yeah does seem quite solo effort minus comfortably numb 

with regards to dark side, i fucking don't like that album its way too stoner and out of this world cliché, not truly enjoyable listens and entirely overplayed  

momentary lapse of reason in my opinion has what could be the most friendly type of vibe for a positive while intriguing listen 

division bell is hopeful yet some omnipresence of wiser/confidence older age type reflections

WYWH - is the best group effort and personal album 

animals - is fucking awesome in its own right but showing the signs that waters is becoming a dominant force 

PULSE is the best album of all floyd time , seeing floyd in 94 would have been the best moment of all time to see em so fuck waters gilmour wins lol 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

16 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i;ll check out that wall album yeah does seem quite solo effort minus comfortably numb 

with regards to dark side, i fucking don't like that album its way too stoner and out of this world cliché, not truly enjoyable listens and entirely overplayed  

momentary lapse of reason in my opinion has what could be the most friendly type of vibe for a positive while intriguing listen 

division bell is hopeful yet some omnipresence of wiser/confidence older age type reflections

WYWH - is the best group effort and personal album 

animals - is fucking awesome in its own right but showing the signs that waters is becoming a dominant force 

PULSE is the best album of all floyd time , seeing floyd in 94 would have been the best moment of all time to see em so fuck waters gilmour wins lol 

I couldn't disagree more overall, but different opinions make the world go round lol. 

Having said that, I saw Floyd two nights in a row on The Division Bell Tour (07/14 & 07/15/1994). Both shows were fucking amazing of course.