Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I couldn't disagree more overall, but different opinions make the world go round lol. 

Having said that, I saw Floyd two nights in a row on The Division Bell Tour (07/14 & 07/15/1994). Both shows were fucking amazing of course. 

buddy you like CD and Dark Side i like Lies and Animals = lets leave it at that 

we agree on division bell tho :)(: 

8 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Listening to more than a few Floyd songs in a row makes me want to top myself tbh

Fearless (off Meddle) is a great song though, I love that, it's one of my go-to inspiration songs

Also, the "no one's gonna bother me anymore" bit in Coma reminds me of Floyd. Serene.

yeah that to me is the best part of any guns song at least on a personal level, it's really when axl went comfortably numb per say 

i always wished he continued on with the medley prior to what was it paradise city at freddy mercury he was doing the wall 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Haha 1

It really pisses me off to no end when people call Floyd stoner music. :( It's probably the most ridiculous thing there is to say about their music. Definitely selling them short. It always sounds like the verdict of someone who was prejudiced to begin with, skipped through a few tracks and couldn't really be bothered. 

I'm fine with people not liking them or not liking certain tuff they did. But not for such a dumb reason. 

Edited by username
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, username said:

It really pisses me off to no end when people call Floyd stoner music. :( It's probably the most ridiculous thing there is to say about their music. Definitely selling them short. It always sounds like the verdict of someone who was prejudiced to begin with, skipped through a few tracks and couldn't really be bothered. 

I'm fine with people not liking them or not liking certain tuff they did. But not for such a dumb reason. 

dark side is defo stoner music same with the wall and not in a bad way!! 

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

buddy you like CD and Dark Side i like Lies and Animals = lets leave it at that 

we agree on division bell tho :)(: 

lolwut... 

I love Lies and Animals, so I'm not sure where you got the impression that I don’t. I have to say I find the GN'R comparison humorous coming from you though seeing as Dark Side of the Moon is considered their AFD while Momentary Lapse is universally regarded as their Chinese Democracy. 

2 hours ago, username said:

Oh man, I couldn't agree more! I could go on and on about this, but yeah, I can't stand it when people call Floyd stoner music. Most times people are trying to be dismissive but it bothers me when people think they're being complimentary too. Like when people mention that they love getting high and listening to Comfortably Numb. I'm always like "Have you actually listened to the lyrics? Because it's actually an anti drug message...." 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

lolwut... 

I love Lies and Animals, so I'm not sure where you got the impression that I don’t. I have to say I find the GN'R comparison humorous coming from you though seeing as Dark Side of the Moon is considered their AFD while Momentary Lapse is universally regarded as their Chinese Democracy. 

Oh man, I couldn't agree more! I could go on and on about this, but yeah, I can't stand it when people call Floyd stoner music. Most times people are trying to be dismissive but it bothers me when people think they're being complimentary too. Like when people mention that they love getting high and listening to Comfortably Numb. I'm always like "Have you actually listened to the lyrics? Because it's actually an anti drug message...." 

i find the parallels quite humorous however there is no way anything on CD comes close to Learning to Fly!! 

91KRvGSh.jpg

"Theres one smoking a joint! And another one with spots! If I had my way, I'd have all of them shot!"

Any notion that Pink Floyd was by-and-for stoners was put to rest in Montreal on July 6, 1977, I'd say. The  above dictator character seems related to this aspect of The Walls inspiration on that fateful night?

That said, I've definitely heard Waters lament the fact that when he sees the making of DSOTM clips from Pompie that he sees some 'dopey' people in it (meaning, they were stoned in some scenes). And of course Shine On was almost named The Big Bong Theory.

"The original title of the box set according to drummer Nick Mason on the group’s 1992 appearance on the U.S. radio show Rockline to promote the box set was The Big Bong Theory, but was outvoted. David Gilmour on that same interview said calling the box set Shine On was not a bowing out retirement box set but a continuation."

http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/miscellaneous/boxsets/  

To me, I guess it comes down to 'stoner' having certain connotations that run far beyond the criteria of simply using cannabis? In the negative sense, a stoner lacks the ability to absorb complex thoughts. In the positive usage, the stoner is all about introspection and positive vibes. I think Pink Floyds creative process and the content they produce is way bigger than any meaning 'stoner' might hold - regardless of who consumes pot and when?

Not only does their body of work shit all over 'stoner rock' but it also speaks to people of all walks of life in the west. It's vital, its smart, it can be angry, it cares. Artists of the highest calibre whose work should be given a lot of weight by society as a whole, imho.

• Like 1

Once I talked to one of my friends about Pink Floyd so we're talking and he's like "yeah I agree, great band". Then I said something about how great David Gilmour is as a guitar player and he's like "yeah, but he's so predictable with his note choices". So I thought about it for a few seconds and told him he was right. It is predictable compared to other guitar players I enjoy listening to.

Few weeks later I meet another friend of mine, he is a great guitar player and a huge Floyd fan so I tell him about what my other friend said and he's like "yeah, but it's flawless. Every note is the right note".

I think other than his perfect tone, phrasing and the lyrical nature of his playing, he takes the path of least resistance. I still think it's predictable compared to, say, Slash. Especially his work in Guns or Jimi or SRV. a Better example is Clapton I think: he takes the path of least resistance too imo and he worked with Roger but somehow it's not predictable.

Anyway, I think if you can come up with so many interesting solos it doesn't really matter. One of the best for sure.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Straight up stoners like the Dead, Doors or Jefferson Airplane could never write music like Floyd made

hate to agree but the Doors rule and are beyond stoner music - could open up another topic and talk eons about their songs and meaning, more so than floyd because JimBo was the best lyricist thats existed because he wasn't even one, its pure poetry 

the reason why i say floyd is stoner music because the very first time i got baked i though it was laced with acid as a buddy of mine watched the wall movie and sunk into our chairs 

then another time were in a basement with girls playing dark side and everyones super baked - ---- its my association and many others share 

On November 16, 2019 at 11:50 AM, RussTCB said:

Yes, everyone in the band was doubled up for The Wall Live. Two drummers, two keyboards, two guitarists and even two bass players. They needed everyone to accurately replicate everything on the album. 

I believe the tightness of the band at that time came from Roger's stern hand. Gilmour is so much more laid back that he probably didn't care so much about that by the time they did the Momentary Lapse tour. 

I guess I should revisit the booklet too, Id completely forgot about everyone being doubled up on. Id love to learn more about the specifics, like if all were audible at all times or if their was 'locks and keys' that only let through one version of the instruments (the performances that were the most in time). I suppose that would be pretty advanced for the times though. 

So strange that Gilmour fights to keep the name, only to get so slack with the production and musicianship while doing mostly solo work. $$$ I guess.

On November 16, 2019 at 11:50 AM, RussTCB said:

I'm not too sure how to feel about the Delicate Sound remix / remaster after I heard that Run Like Hell yesterday. 

First off, I'm super pissed that you have to buy the over priced boxed set just to get the blu-ray. I've only ever seen the film on VHS and would have loved to have seen it on blu-ray, but I'm not paying for that whole set just to get it. 

Anyways, the thing that concerns me with that Run Like Hell is that it sounds like more than a remix and remaster to me. I know the original Delicate Sound like the back of my hand and I'm certain there are different vocals being used here and there. There's also some different guitar parts and keys from the original too. Doesn't sound bad per se, just different. I'm kinda concerned about hearing the rest of it now. 

That is ridiculous about having to buy the entire box set to get it. Its not a show that Ive ever spent much time with. I dont think Ive seen it, only heard it.

Seems like Gilmour and Mason just cant stop tinkering with stuff!! Seems like Ricks passing really got them in the gut, with the further emphasis and inclusion of his parts on momentarys redo in the box set and Endless River. Like they didnt know what they had until they lost it? And I get how Mason would want to play on Pink Floyd albums(!) but at some point its a bit much. Like new vocals on DSOT? Why?

I think Gilmour said in the EPK that was released a few days ago that the idea with some of the changes in the box set versions are to give the songs/albums a "more timeless feel." Fair enough, but my impression is that those who love it are happy as it is. And Im not convinced there will be a ground swell of support or streaming records set by a bunch of zoomers for Later Years. Id love to be wrong, though.

19 hours ago, soon said:

I guess I should revisit the booklet too, Id completely forgot about everyone being doubled up on. Id love to learn more about the specifics, like if all were audible at all times or if their was 'locks and keys' that only let through one version of the instruments (the performances that were the most in time). I suppose that would be pretty advanced for the times though. 

So strange that Gilmour fights to keep the name, only to get so slack with the production and musicianship while doing mostly solo work. $$$ I guess.

That is ridiculous about having to buy the entire box set to get it. Its not a show that Ive ever spent much time with. I dont think Ive seen it, only heard it.

Seems like Gilmour and Mason just cant stop tinkering with stuff!! Seems like Ricks passing really got them in the gut, with the further emphasis and inclusion of his parts on momentarys redo in the box set and Endless River. Like they didnt know what they had until they lost it? And I get how Mason would want to play on Pink Floyd albums(!) but at some point its a bit much. Like new vocals on DSOT? Why?

I think Gilmour said in the EPK that was released a few days ago that the idea with some of the changes in the box set versions are to give the songs/albums a "more timeless feel." Fair enough, but my impression is that those who love it are happy as it is. And Im not convinced there will be a ground swell of support or streaming records set by a bunch of zoomers for Later Years. Id love to be wrong, though.

The high def video for Delicate Sound is the one and only thing I want from the set. All of the audio will be streaming, so I have no reason to buy the set outside of that one concert video. They released the new version of Sorrow yesterday and I liked that a hell of a lot better than One Slip, so that's good at least. 

I'm sure the reworked Momentary Lapse will work as a whole. As it stands, it's my second least favorite Floyd album and 80% of the way I feel about the album has to do with its terrible production. So I'm honestly OK with whatever they do to fix that. 

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

what u guys think of this one

Piper is my least favorite Floyd album, but that's probably my favorite song on it. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm sure the reworked Momentary Lapse will work as a whole. As it stands, it's my second least favorite Floyd album and 80% of the way I feel about the album has to do with its terrible production. So I'm honestly OK with whatever they do to fix that. 

I dislike Momenertary to the extent that I cant really speak to it in specifics but the new versions with Mason that Ive heard so far have very 'small' sounding drums. I guess they could only take up as much room as the electro drums did. So there is a lack of resonance to my ears. To me Mason is synonymous with big snares and toms. The snare on the redo's especially sounds tiny - both physically and audibly - to me. But Im not fussed either way.

4 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

what u guys think of this one

I love that song, but also I cant think of the last time I listened to it. Same goes for Piper as an album. I first heard it on Relics, which I think is the same version as Piper, but they always sounded different to me - maybe the mastering on the two albums is different enough? I should look into that.

Im not fond of the versions on Tonight Lets All Make Love in London. That entire release kinda fell flat imho.

The riff has a really fascinating origin story. And the track also birthed the riff for Let There Be More Light from A Saucerful of Secrets as well.

Now Im primed to give it a listen :headbang:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Been checking out some of Pink Floyds synths. 

Roger fooling around with that big synth (from Live in Pompeii's studio footage of recording Dark Side of the Moon )

Minimoog tutorials! SOYCD brass synth solo tutorial starts at 15:05,

^^^^ Welcome to the Machine synth solo tutorial 

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Been checking out some of Pink Floyds synths. 

Roger fooling around with that big synth (from Live in Pompeii's studio footage of recording Dark Side of the Moon )

Minimoog tutorials! SOYCD brass synth solo tutorial starts at 15:05,

^^^^ Welcome to the Machine synth solo tutorial 

Rick Wright is the absolute star of WYWH. One of the most overlooked pieces of his is the outro to Shine On. 

The whole song tells this story of what could've been for Syd and then Rick comes in with this AMAZING lament at the end of the song. It expresses more sorrow over the state of Syd at that time, then the entire song does before it. Simply amazing. 

Side note; the 2 LP compilation that's highlights of The Later Years boxed set comes out this Friday. I plan on picking it up, so I can at least have that on vinyl. Then I plan to just stream whatever else I want to hear from the rest of the box when it's released in early December. 

• Like 1

If there wasn’t for GN’R, I could say without hesitation that PF is my favourite band, has been since childhood. I still have some gaps there (haven’t really listened through the Syd Barrett era yet), but I love almost every record starting in 71. And as much as I love The Wall and Waters’ influence in general, I never had a problem with PF led by Gilmour only. In fact, the two main albums made post-Waters are one of the best ones in my personal discotheque (I guess I quite differ from some casual or conservative fans here). I also really dig David’s solo records (Waters’ too, but not as much). I’m fascinated by Roger’s live rendition of The Wall in Berlin 1990, and I’ve seen the 1982 movie numerous times. 

It’s really hard to make some album chart here, but it definitely includes The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell (which is not only one of my favourite PF albums but one of my favourite pieces of music in general). The Dark Side of the Moon is obviously good as well, but they have better albums as far as I’m concerned; and I think one of the reasons this album is so promoted is the song "Money" and the fact it broke all kinds of records in the hit parades back then. 

Again, there are still some albums left I must get into in detail yet. 
Also, I’m looking forward to the "Later Years 1987–2019" compilation. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

If there wasn’t for GN’R, I could say without hesitation that PF is my favourite band, has been since childhood. I still have some gaps there (haven’t really listened through the Syd Barrett era yet), but I love almost every record starting in 71. And as much as I love The Wall and Waters’ influence in general, I never had a problem with PF led by Gilmour only. In fact, the two main albums made post-Waters are one of the best ones in my personal discotheque (I guess I quite differ from some casual or conservative fans here). I also really dig David’s solo records (Waters’ too, but not as much). I’m fascinated by Roger’s live rendition of The Wall in Berlin 1990, and I’ve seen the 1982 movie numerous times. 

It’s really hard to make some album chart here, but it definitely includes The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell (which is not only one of my favourite PF albums but one of my favourite pieces of music in general). The Dark Side of the Moon is obviously good as well, but they have better albums as far as I’m concerned; and I think one of the reasons this album is so promoted is the song "Money" and the fact it broke all kinds of records in the hit parades back then. 

Again, there are still some albums left I must get into in detail yet. 
Also, I’m looking forward to the "Later Years 1987–2019" compilation. 

My biggest issue with Momentary Lapse honestly has nothing to do with the fact that Roger isn't on it. I just do not like the production quality of the record. It's the only album in their catelog that sounds instantly dated to me. The Division Bell returned to their timeless sound, IMO. 

TBD is one of my favorites as well. There are a couple of songs I could take or leave, but some songs are among my favorite Floyd songs. 

As far as Dark Sidr goes, I feel like that's one of those things where it gathered steam then ended up with mythical status. Sure, it's a great album but like you said they definitely have better ones. 

With David & Roger's solo stuff, I don't necessarily dislike anything David has done but Roger having done Amused To Death pretty much destroys anything David did as far as I'm concerned. 

It's funny you mention Roger's 1990 Wall concert. That's one of 4 versions of The Wall that I have in vinyl. I bust it out for younger friends every so often and they're always impressed with it. 

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My biggest issue with Momentary Lapse honestly has nothing to do with the fact that Roger isn't on it. I just do not like the production quality of the record. It's the only album in their catelog that sounds instantly dated to me. The Division Bell returned to their timeless sound, IMO. 

TBD is one of my favorites as well. There are a couple of songs I could take or leave, but some songs are among my favorite Floyd songs. 

As far as Dark Sidr goes, I feel like that's one of those things where it gathered steam then ended up with mythical status. Sure, it's a great album but like you said they definitely have better ones. 

With David & Roger's solo stuff, I don't necessarily dislike anything David has done but Roger having done Amused To Death pretty much destroys anything David did as far as I'm concerned. 

It's funny you mention Roger's 1990 Wall concert. That's one of 4 versions of The Wall that I have in vinyl. I bust it out for younger friends every so often and they're always impressed with it. 

You might wanna take a closer look at the upcoming compilation, because Momentary Lapse should be there with new sound afaik. 
Amused to Death is probably the best of Roger I’ve heard so far (I still have some gaps there though, like Ca Ira etc.), but I have to be in a mood to want to play it. While David’s About Face, now that’s a thing I can spin any time. Then again, the comparison is limping, because David is mainly about guitar, and he’s a different type of singer/writer too. Also, Roger is often dark and political, isn’t he. 
That Berlin show... today’s kids will never understand... etc. 
And Bob Geldof in that movie is pure bliss, especially the second half. Holy shit. I can watch it 100 times, and I’ll never get tired of it, much like TDB and others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You might wanna take a closer look at the upcoming compilation, because Momentary Lapse should be there with new sound afaik. 
Amused to Death is probably the best of Roger I’ve heard so far (I still have some gaps there though, like Ca Ira etc.), but I have to be in a mood to want to play it. While David’s About Face, now that’s a thing I can spin any time. Then again, the comparison is limping, because David is mainly about guitar, and he’s a different type of singer/writer too. Also, Roger is often dark and political, isn’t he. 
That Berlin show... today’s kids will never understand... etc. 
And Bob Geldof in that movie is pure bliss, especially the second half. Holy shit. I can watch it 100 times, and I’ll never get tired of it, much like TDB and others. 

Oh, I'm aware of everything in the boxed set. I'm livid that the high def film of Delicate Sound of Thunder is only available there, but it is what it is. 

I'm definitely interested in the remix / remaster if Momentary Lapse, but I'm not sure what to make of what I've heard so far. They've released One Slip and Sorrow on streaming so far. One Slip sounded awful, but Sorrow sounded great. I'll stream the whole thing once the set is released and I'll hope for the best. 

• Like 1

Well, now that I’ve recently discovered this thread, I also wanted to say how thrilled I was when I first saw David’s Live at Pompeii 2016, particularly the Comfortably Numb solo. Because apparently, he basically sort of got back to the PULSE version, i.e. the best version (although I’m aware there is quite a number of differences between the video and the audio versions of that concert, with some parts of the solo having been edited out). Because when you look at some earlier versions (not to mention when he guested at Roger’s shows in 2011), he’d usually butcher it quite a lot. It got significantly better again after some years, and I’m really glad for that. (I understand we're talking about one-off shows in many cases.) And playing it AFTER Run Like Hell, that takes balls. Awesome. 
Secondly, I have to praise that Roger’s The Wall tour version from 2011 though – I mean the whole David’s random surprise presence. When I saw the video for the first time (especially David emerging on the top, playing the solo, and people going nuts, and then the end too), I cried like a baby. After all those years. I didn’t cry when I saw Axl and Slash together again for the first time in 2016, but I did when seeing these two guys. And then Nick Mason joining them at the end, that was just pure bliss. Only one guy was missing, but oh well, we can’t change that, can we, so let’s be glad for what we have/had. It was downright cathartic.
Thank you, off the soapbox now. :) Sorry for my English, haven't had a coffee yet either, got a hangover etc. 
Good morning, everyone. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

On 25-11-2019 at 8:54 PM, RussTCB said:

Rick Wright is the absolute star of WYWH. One of the most overlooked pieces of his is the outro to Shine On. 

The whole song tells this story of what could've been for Syd and then Rick comes in with this AMAZING lament at the end of the song. It expresses more sorrow over the state of Syd at that time, then the entire song does before it. Simply amazing. 

100% agreed. 

• Thanks 1