Bee Gees 'How Can You Mend a Broken Heart' Documentary

Dean

This looks phenomenal. I've watched a few of the documentaries that they've done over the years - that's where most of the Maurice stuff comes from, Keppel Road etc - but still looking forward to tuning in. It's available for streaming on HBO for those across the Ocean, though it's on at 9PM tonight for those in the UK on Sky Documentaries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

This looks phenomenal. I've watched a few of the documentaries that they've done over the years - that's where most of the Maurice stuff comes from, Keppel Road etc - but still looking forward to tuning in. It's available for streaming on HBO for those across the Ocean, though it's on at 9PM tonight for those in the UK on Sky Documentaries.

I need to watch this. It looks really good. The last music doc I watched was Linda Ronstandt - The Sound of My Voice, which was also fantastic. 

11 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Will wear a fake chest wig and ridiculously tight, white flares while watching, in tribute.

Those extremely tight flares may just allow you to hit those very high notes, so it'll be like you were the 4th Bee Gee!

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I need to watch this. It looks really good. The last music doc I watched was Linda Ronstandt - The Sound of My Voice, which was also fantastic. 

I think the last music related doc/movie I tuned into was the Iron Maiden release from a few years back. I'm not big on their music, but that was well put together. I haven't actually heard of Linda, though I'm sure I'll have heard a few of her numbers. I'm always on the look out for more stuff to watch so I'll give that a watch at some point next week!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everytime I see a picture of the Bee Gees I can't help but think how unfairly the good genes got divided between those brothers. Barry Gibb was the tallest out of the three, most handsome one, best voice, best hairline, and evidently the best health genes.

Love some Bee Gees, though.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Everytime I see a picture of the Bee Gees I can't help but think how unfairly the good genes got divided between those brothers. Barry Gibb was the tallest out of the three, most handsome one, best voice, best hairline, and evidently the best health genes.

Love some Bee Gees, though.

Andy Gibb was Barry’s spit, but Robin and Maurice definitely got the dregs of the gene pool 😂

Robin and Barry seemed to have inflated egos in the earlier days. I always thought Maurice was key for keeping the peace and always came across the best when interviewed.

Check out Nights on Broadway from the Midnight Special 1975 on YouTube. Brothers Gibb at their best!

• Like 1

When I was growing up in the 80's, the brothers Gibb were always portrayed as a bit of a joke, a bit naff, the whole 70's disco image with the hair, flares and teeth etc. It was only when I really delved into their body of work later on, as I got older, that I realised just how good their songcraft truly is. Their catalogue of hits is incredible and as essential as The Beatles.

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

When I was growing up in the 80's, the brothers Gibb were always portrayed as a bit of a joke, a bit naff, the whole 70's disco image with the hair, flares and teeth etc. It was only when I really delved into their body of work later on, as I got older, that I realised just how good their songcraft truly is. Their catalogue of hits is incredible and as essential as The Beatles.

I had no fucking time for them growing up, same with Elvis. They were two staples of my old man's collection that I just couldn't appreciate. It wasn't until I hit my early teens that it all clicked and it was plain to see just how incredible they truly were.

• Like 1

I don't know if it will be in the doc but I read that Barry had to politely kick Michael Jackson out of his house. They were working on a song for a charity or something and he said that Michael basically wouldn't leave. I think this went on for about a week or so. Finally, Barry told Michael that wherever he's going to after this that he needs to go there.😄 

• Haha 1

Caught some of it last night.  My mom was a fan. She didn't realize they wrote music for such other amazing artists.

The whole disco thing was funny. My uncle would see Twisted Sister in a club on Long Island and Dee would break disco records and posters of John Travota. lol

But it was not fair to lump the Bee Gees into that one category and to see some of those R&B albums that people brought to the stadium to blow up was just plain wrong.

I love all genres of music. If it makes you feel good there's nothing wrong with it.

KISS did that disco song and Paul still performs it today. Like Robin said, you can dance to many songs not just disco.  I think all music has it's value.

So sad to see how old Barry looks now. And he has lost all his brothers. So sad.

• Like 1