GNR mention in new Steel Panther single 1987

14 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I could have sworn there was another artist who’ve already done a really catchy song about a similar year that was about 18 or so years ago.

1985…

Bowling For Soup…

This one wins though if just for the reference alone to doing colombian cocaine off a 19 year olds breasts. But for real, the last line of the song actually hits deep, even in the comedic context, I felt that, even though I wasn't even alive then.

Also it was never clear to me whether they are bowling to GET soup, or if they are bowling on behalf of soup. Thumbs down

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

• StrangerInThisTown changed the title to GNR mention in new Steel Panther single 1987
On 12/18/2022 at 12:25 PM, Nintari said:

Yeah, but Steel Panther is basically the new Spinal Tap. They're not actually a real band. It's just an act.

They're absolutely a real band. Yes, they parody the glam scene, but their sixth album is coming out in a few months. They're all tremendous musicians. Russ Parrish can play circles around the majority of guitar players out there. 

On 12/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I could have sworn there was another artist who’ve already done a really catchy song about a similar year that was about 18 or so years ago.

1985…

Bowling For Soup…

I mean technically it was SR-71 and then Bowling For Soup covered it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I mean technically it was SR-71 and then Bowling For Soup covered it.

Indeed. Though if I said that it was initially their version I’d get an even more “huh?” reaction. Imagine gifting songs and never being able to crack the charts. It’s like The Zutons writing Valerie, though Dave McCabe is happy with his royalties. 😂