Would you like to see GN'R at the Sphere? (Speculative thread)

I've managed to get U2 tickets to the new Sphere in Vegas. U2 are clearly an act that would revel in that kind of technology but what would you think of a series of GN'R shows there?

The whole set-up looks incredible. The argument against it is that GN'R have never really been a band that has played with technology in the way another act may thrive in it.

Flip side is, the Sphere will be looking for big name acts to recoup their spend.. and dispute recent sales, there are few acts in the world who have the mass appeal to do a Vegas residency of say 10-15 shows. It could give the band a new lease of life as we head into what is surely a tour 95% based on the previous few years.

I'm sure fans could imagination up some great ways they could use the space.. not too confident the band could.

More on the sphere here: https://www.irishstar.com/culture/entertainment/sphere-las-vegas-see-inside-29799136

0_Sphere-Sunrise-Credit-Sphere-Entertain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlasShrugged said:

I've managed to get U2 tickets to the new Sphere in Vegas. U2 are clearly an act that would revel in that kind of technology but what would you think of a series of GN'R shows there?

The whole set-up looks incredible. The argument against it is that GN'R have never really been a band that has played with technology in the way another act may thrive in it.

Flip side is, the Sphere will be looking for big name acts to recoup their spend.. and dispute recent sales, there are few acts in the world who have the mass appeal to do a Vegas residency of say 10-15 shows. It could give the band a new lease of life as we head into what is surely a tour 95% based on the previous few years.

I'm sure fans could imagination up some great ways they could use the space.. not too confident the band could.

More on the sphere here: https://www.irishstar.com/culture/entertainment/sphere-las-vegas-see-inside-29799136

0_Sphere-Sunrise-Credit-Sphere-Entertain

GNR isn’t really a visual spectacle kind of band. UYI and NITL had solid stage shows because of their size, but they aren’t visual storytellers like U2, Pink Floyd, Tool, etc.

I bet the U2 shows will be spectacular. I saw them on the 360, I+E, and Joshua Tree tours and 360 was my favorite due to its visual insanity

• Like 3

Only if it is either paired with one of these, ideally all:

1. After new material comes out / major setlist shakeups

2.  Izzy and Steven joining GNR for a limited run residency at the Sphere

3.  Axl returning to 2016 forum

Like, I don't know if I would be interested in a Sphere residency with only like revamped visuals and stage design for the Sphere, I would want something substantial from the band that really would set the shows apart musically from the past 7 years

Edited by WhazUp

I’m going to U2 at the sphere as well. Tickets were crazy expensive but the venue and U2 doing Actung Baby in its entirety makes it totally worth it. 

To answer the OP of course I’d want to see GNR there. It is going to have the best screen in the world. It’s the first venue in history to have live music in w atmos sound. Any major rock act that you love is going to sound incredible in that place! 

they already made that appetite for democracy 3d movie, so maybe they can experiment with more technology for a stage show. i would love to see what visuals the GnR team would come up for the songs

i have a feeling that maybe the acoustics of being in a ball-shaped room could be fun.

Edited by BucketEgg

Not going to happen.  Not many musical acts have the broad-based appeal to do an extended series of concerts with brand new/big budget production at at a large indoor venue that has capacity for 17,000.  Although I’ve been meh to U2’s musical output for decades now, the band embraces and exploits new technology with often groundbreaking production and staging on each new tour that are based around entirely new concepts, setlists and themes.  They are brand new concert experiences and why I still continue to attend their shows (albeit with diminished frequency).  The Sphere Achtung residency fits U2 to a “T”.  Unfortunately, Guns have become the antithesis to any aspect of this concept or approach when it comes to performing live.  We’ve got tix to GN’R and U2 this fall and the Sphere concert is something we are much more excited to see - which, I guess, is entirely the point.

14 hours ago, steelestar said:

Not going to happen.  Not many musical acts have the broad-based appeal to do an extended series of concerts with brand new/big budget production at at a large indoor venue that has capacity for 17,000.  Although I’ve been meh to U2’s musical output for decades now, the band embraces and exploits new technology with often groundbreaking production and staging on each new tour that are based around entirely new concepts, setlists and themes.  They are brand new concert experiences and why I still continue to attend their shows (albeit with diminished frequency).  The Sphere Achtung residency fits U2 to a “T”.  Unfortunately, Guns have become the antithesis to any aspect of this concept or approach when it comes to performing live.  We’ve got tix to GN’R and U2 this fall and the Sphere concert is something we are much more excited to see - which, I guess, is entirely the point.

Agree with this. I've got U2 tickets and haven't bought for GN'R over the summer yet. Waiting til this day next month when we see what the setlist and staging looks like. Have seen NITL five times - pains me to say it a bit but not sure I could be bothered if it's the same show again. 

As the years have gone by it's got slightly worse in terms of the stage show, effects, voice etc. But if they can offer something a bit different then I'll happily go.