The ultimate Guns N'Roses drummer showdown. Matt vs Steven. Who do you prefer? πŸ˜€

Who do you prefer out of Steven and Matt as a Drummer?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Karice said:

LMAO! πŸ˜€ I guess if he REALLY wanted to, Neil could have been a "Rush," Drummer for Axl in a pinch! 🀭

That's like saying you'd fuck Scarlett Johansson but the opportunity never came upΒ 

Β 

Absolutely pointless reply..the best drummer Axl has had is Brain , then Josh, Neil was class, but couldn't lace John Bonham's boots ..but still very goodΒ 

40 minutes ago, DSTK said:

That's like saying you'd fuck Scarlett Johansson but the opportunity never came upΒ 

Β 

Absolutely pointless reply..the best drummer Axl has had is Brain , then Josh, Neil was class, but couldn't lace John Bonham's boots ..but still very goodΒ 

Not really a pointless reply. I was making a cute pun/reference about how Neil was the Drummer for the  band Rush. 🀭

Edited by Karice

3 hours ago, Karice said:

Not really a pointless reply. I was making a cute pun/reference about how Neil was the Drummer for the  band Rush. 🀭

Who's never had an invite, or an approach to drum for Guns...Taylor Hawkins was asked years ago wasn't he

22 hours ago, DSTK said:

Who's never had an invite, or an approach to drum for Guns...Taylor Hawkins was asked years ago wasn't he

I never SERIOUSLY implied that Neil should have ever joined Guns N'Roses. Once again, it was just a cute pun reference to the Band named Rush.Β 

59 minutes ago, Nintari said:

This is a difficult choice. Matt can do it all, but Steven has just a cool swing to his playing. If I went with Steven, I'd lose a lot skill, but I'd gain feel. With Matt, the reverse.

Eh, fuck it. I vote Steven.

πŸ˜€ Hey, have any Guns N'Roses Drummers have BOTH? The skill and the feel? πŸ˜€πŸ€” That would be the perfect combination and balance! πŸ˜€πŸ€”

Edited by Karice

1 hour ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Matt was a better drummer, but Steven was a better drummer for Guns N’ Roses - until he wasn’t.Β 

Being addicted to Heroin REALLY fucked things up for Steven. 😫😞 Things would have been so much better for Steven if he hadn't been a Heroin addict. 

Edited by Karice

On 9/6/2023 at 8:22 AM, Billy Cundy said:

Stevens drumming made Appetite sound like Appetite. An integral element of the sound. By and far my favourite GNR drummer. You can HEAR him smiling as he plays. It’s awesome youthful musicianship, and pretty damn creative too at points.Β 

from a musician’s perspective though, I would rather play with Matt. He was a solid professional, with a heavy right hand and a heavier right foot. A very deliberate and measured player, ideal for UYI era. IMO, it’s the mix that lets him down on those albums, rather than his playing. Those drums sound silly. I’m glad VR happened, as those albums are a far more flattering drum sound and far more representative of how good he is.
Β 

You can’t get away with being a sloppy player in arenas and stadiums. Steven threw it away. So sad really.Β 

Frank is a vibeless drummer. He calls himself a groove drummer, which is fine, but GNR requires some theatre and finesse, specifically when playing Matt-era/UYI tracks. It’s not really β€˜groove’ material… it has its moment but they’re hardly Vulfpeck. Id like to hear him commit to the rock a bit more. Give it some beans. Sharpen the edges.

About saying you can hear Steven smiling as he plays, I saw a video of Steven doing a drum solo for about 2 minutes and a half and he has a huge smile throughout like 😁. πŸ˜€πŸ€­ It was very cute.Β 

Β 

https://youtu.be/fidY49ad4QY?si=Lc_23NXEog7mpxgR

Β 

πŸ˜€πŸ€­

Edited by Karice

Ideally, both Steven and Matt would have rejoined GNR in 2016, and shared drumming duties during shows. If this has happened, today we'd be saying, Frank WHO?!?!Β :headbang:

I choose Matt.

After hearing Matt shake the Astrodome in Houston on the Metallica tour with the timpani intro to Mr. Brownstone, he cemented his position as THE drummer for GNR in my mind.

• Like 1