The ultimate Guns N'Roses drummer showdown. Matt vs Steven. Who do you prefer? ๐Ÿ˜€

Who do you prefer out of Steven and Matt as a Drummer?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, a lot of Fans have compared/contrasted Matt and Steven 's drumming skillsย  Fans have said stuff like,"Matt is the better drummer, but he's like a drum robot, whereas Steven is the worse drummer, but he plays with passion and heart. So, who do you prefer? The better , but drum robot or the worse drummer who is passionate and full of heart? ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค”

Edited by Karice

Stevens drumming made Appetite sound like Appetite. An integral element of the sound. By and far my favourite GNR drummer. You can HEAR him smiling as he plays. Itโ€™s awesome youthful musicianship, and pretty damn creative too at points.ย 

from a musicianโ€™s perspective though, I would rather play with Matt. He was a solid professional, with a heavy right hand and a heavier right foot. A very deliberate and measured player, ideal for UYI era. IMO, itโ€™s the mix that lets him down on those albums, rather than his playing. Those drums sound silly. Iโ€™m glad VR happened, as those albums are a far more flattering drum sound and far more representative of how good he is.
ย 

You canโ€™t get away with being a sloppy player in arenas and stadiums. Steven threw it away. So sad really.ย 

Frank is a vibeless drummer. He calls himself a groove drummer, which is fine, but GNR requires some theatre and finesse, specifically when playing Matt-era/UYI tracks. Itโ€™s not really โ€˜grooveโ€™ materialโ€ฆ it has its moment but theyโ€™re hardly Vulfpeck. Id like to hear him commit to the rock a bit more. Give it some beans. Sharpen the edges.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jcjunior86 said:

Actually, I even prefer Frank over Matt.

Judge me....

ย 

What I don't like in Frank is his snare tone live... Kinda don't match with Gn'R...

Agree with all of this.

But regarding the original question โ€“ as I said in another thread recently, I don't really care for Matt's playing of the Appetite stuff, but I doubt Steven could truly do the Illusions stuff justice. GN'R's style changed so much from record to record, that's why I like Frank โ€“ he does a decent job of blending the styles into a cohesive sound in one show.

Steven v Matt? Both. Depends on the song

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Agree with all of this.

But regarding the original question โ€“ as I said in another thread recently, I don't really care for Matt's playing of the Appetite stuff, but I doubt Steven could truly do the Illusions stuff justice. GN'R's style changed so much from record to record, that's why I like Frank โ€“ he does a decent job of blending the styles into a cohesive sound in one show.

Steven v Matt? Both. Depends on the song

You perfectly summed my thoughts up.

I agree with you on Steven vs Matt. It is a matter of which song is being played.

ย 

Edited by jcjunior86
  • Like 1

I like both for different reasons,

I always find myself tapping along to Adlers drumming. Its just very natural and bouncy.

At the same time I love Sorums hard hitting drums on the Illusions and VR records. I like the fact he had a bit of balls in terms of challenging Axl. He's also got one of my favourite Post-Gnr songs "The Sea".ย 

ย 

Question for those who know more than me: How much of the Illusions did Matt actually create the drum parts for?

57 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Josh and Brain. Then Matt.

Frank is fun to make fun of, but his work on If The World elevated that song, IMO.ย 

Josh is no doubt a top drummer, but how can you rank him the best Guns N' Roses drummer? We have very little evidence from his time with the band. No live shows, no performances of the back catalogue, only some leaks from the songs he helped create.

Great drummer, one of the best in the world, but how can we possibly call him the best Guns N' Roses drummer when we've not heard him play any Guns N' Roses songs outside of Chinese, which is a huge departure from the rest. We have no idea what he sounds like on Appetite, Illusions, Lies, Spaghetti etc, unlike pretty much all of the others

2 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

I think your the first person ever to actually like Frank or first I've seenย 

I donโ€™t think people complained about him nearly as much until he tuned down his snare. Iโ€™ve always just not liked his tone but even as a drummer, found it hard to have a problem with his playing.ย 

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Josh is no doubt a top drummer, but how can you rank him the best Guns N' Roses drummer? We have very little evidence from his time with the band. No live shows, no performances of the back catalogue, only some leaks from the songs he helped create.

Great drummer, one of the best in the world, but how can we possibly call him the best Guns N' Roses drummer when we've not heard him play any Guns N' Roses songs outside of Chinese, which is a huge departure from the rest. We have no idea what he sounds like on Appetite, Illusions, Lies, Spaghetti etc, unlike pretty much all of the others

I think most would agree Josh and Brain are the best GN'R drummers from a technical standpoint. Josh played on most of the Village leaks, and on the officially released Oh My God, and on half of the SCOM song from Big Daddy.ย 

But as far as "fitting" GN'R, that's up for debate, and is subjective of course. Josh can play anything he wants, as can Brain, same with Buckethead. They are not limited. Josh initially came up with a lot of what we hear on Chinese, even through we mostly hear Brain on that record.ย 

Steven for sure based on purely how I enjoy his drumming.ย  If he never had any drug issues and subsequent health issues and was able to handle full worldwide years long tours I think the bank would have been better off IMO.

ย 

My ranking of drummers I enjoy listening to (not including studio only or one off replacements). Talent wise Brain is top IMO.

Steven

Brain

Matt

Frank