Black Sabbath: Tony Martin Era Box Set ''Anno Domini 1989-1995"

tboneman

According to the Danish music store iMusic, BMG has set a May 31 release date for the "Anno Domini 1989-1995" box set of the Tony Martin-era BLACK SABBATH albums.

The set contains newly remastered versions of "Headless Cross" (1989),"Tyr" (1990) and "Cross Purposes" (1994),plus a new version of "Forbidden" (1995) that guitarist Tony Iommi remixed specially for the collection.

Several albums make their vinyl debut in the LP version of "Anno Domini", while the CD version contains three exclusive bonus tracks: the B-side "Cloak & Dagger" and the Japan-only releases "What's The Use" and "Loser Gets It All". A booklet comes with the set featuring photos, artwork, and liner notes by Hugh Gilmour. The collection also contains a "Headless Cross" poster and a replica concert book from the "Headless Cross" tour.

"Anno Domini" picks up BLACK SABBATH's story in 1989, two decades and multiple lineup changes into the band's groundbreaking career as metal originators. At the time, membership had solidified around riffmaster and founding member Tony Iommi, legendary drummer Cozy Powell (JEFF BECK, RAINBOW, WHITESNAKE),singer Tony Martin and longtime BLACK SABBATH collaborator and keyboardist Geoff Nicholls (QUARTZ, BANDY LEGS).

Included in the set:

* "Headless Cross", "Tyr" and "Cross Purposes" newly remastered

* "Forbidden" newly remixed by Tony Iommi

* 1989 "Headless Cross" tour replica concert book

* 40-page book with photos, artwork and new liner notes

* Replica color tour poster

Headless Cross / Anno Mundi released as single. 

• Like 2

I’ve been waiting so long for this, the Martin era albums are so difficult to find copies of, and they go for big money when they do pop up. Very excited to pick this up, but disappointed there really isn’t any new bonus material (The few bonus tracks included have all been released elsewhere, however obscure). 

An article I was reading about the set quoted Tony Martin as saying nothing “new” (i.e. unreleased) can be released under the Black Sabbath name legally anymore, unless it’s the four original members. If that’s true, that’s very unfortunate for a band with as varied a history as Sabbath has. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I’ve been waiting so long for this, the Martin era albums are so difficult to find copies of, and they go for big money when they do pop up. Very excited to pick this up, but disappointed there really isn’t any new bonus material (The few bonus tracks included have all been released elsewhere, however obscure). 

An article I was reading about the set quoted Tony Martin as saying nothing “new” (i.e. unreleased) can be released under the Black Sabbath name legally anymore, unless it’s the four original members. If that’s true, that’s very unfortunate for a band with as varied a history as Sabbath has. 

I guess that was part of Ozzy's 2009 lawsuit against Iommi. Sharon no doubt had a bitchfit when Sabbath released those three new songs with Dio in 2007 on The Dio Years compilation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I guess that was part of Ozzy's 2009 lawsuit against Iommi. Sharon no doubt had a bitchfit when Sabbath released those three new songs with Dio in 2007 on The Dio Years compilation.

I’m sure it was, but still disappointing especially given we *know* Martin has unreleased demos and whatnot that he gave to Iommi. Shame that stuff can’t ever see the light of day. 

• Like 1

I collect bootlegs on vinyl. I came across a great looking Sabbath boot from their 1989 Vienna show a few months back and decided to buy it. I always loved the original band, Heaven and Hell, the revival Dio record in 2009, and 13. I always dismissed the Tony Martin years. I decided to pick the boot up and thought the show sounded fucking awesome. I am so happy I picked it up (boots are expensive so I was iffy about getting it).

Got me into Headless Cross and let me say, that album is absolutely fucking killer. Just stellar metal that fits right in with the 80s NWOBHM. Iommi sounds awesome (did he use Marshalls in that era?) and Tony Martin is a fucking insane singer.

I might pick this up, although I still need to pick up some of the OG Sabbath albums, too. Very cool this is coming out for fans. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I’m sure it was, but still disappointing especially given we *know* Martin has unreleased demos and whatnot that he gave to Iommi. Shame that stuff can’t ever see the light of day. 

Yeah with Sharon as manager of Sabbath, she wants the Ozzy years to be the only thing people think of. It could come out as Iommi solo, been a long time since Tony went solo.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I collect bootlegs on vinyl. I came across a great looking Sabbath boot from their 1989 Vienna show a few months back and decided to buy it. I always loved the original band, Heaven and Hell, the revival Dio record in 2009, and 13. I always dismissed the Tony Martin years. I decided to pick the boot up and thought the show sounded fucking awesome. I am so happy I picked it up (boots are expensive so I was iffy about getting it).

Got me into Headless Cross and let me say, that album is absolutely fucking killer. Just stellar metal that fits right in with the 80s NWOBHM. Iommi sounds awesome (did he use Marshalls in that era?) and Tony Martin is a fucking insane singer.

I might pick this up, although I still need to pick up some of the OG Sabbath albums, too. Very cool this is coming out for fans. 

That Vienna bootleg is amazing - one of the best Sabbath boots of all time. Remember you told me how stoked you were to pick it up, glad it served as a jumping off point for the Tony Martin era. I love Headless Cross - honestly a top 5 Sabbath album for me. Most people hate Forbidden (But I’m excited to hear the remix), and Cross Purposes is divisive, but Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, and Tyr are all genuinely great albums. 

10 hours ago, tboneman said:

Headless Cross' remastered music video. Uploaded on Iommi's own YouTube channel. Probably also has something to do with that original four deal. 

The power of that mans feet @3:52 causing the cymbals to crash, incredible😉

Haven't listened to this in at least 20yrs and it aged well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I wonder if Tony Martin rerecorded his vocals for Forbidden remix?

Probably not. Here's what Iommi said about the remix: “I was never happy with the guitar sound, and Cozy was definitely never happy with the drum sound… So, I thought it would be nice to do it for him in a way.” He adds, “I just felt that, without changing any of the songs, there was an opportunity to go back and bring out some of the sounds and make it more what people would expect Sabbath to sound like.”

https://www.iommi.com/2024/03/anno-domini-1989-1995/

2 hours ago, tboneman said:

Probably not. Here's what Iommi said about the remix: “I was never happy with the guitar sound, and Cozy was definitely never happy with the drum sound… So, I thought it would be nice to do it for him in a way.” He adds, “I just felt that, without changing any of the songs, there was an opportunity to go back and bring out some of the sounds and make it more what people would expect Sabbath to sound like.”

https://www.iommi.com/2024/03/anno-domini-1989-1995/

Well, I know Martin was also not happy with his vocals, so, to that end, it would make sense if he'd recorded some. I guess we'll have to wait and see....

25 minutes ago, Towelie said:

€99 for 4 LPs? I was expecting this to be around £200 at least.

Yeah, a little cheaper even if you go with a strict conversion - not sure what EU sites are charging. But when you consider the insane amount of money these albums fetch online (The median price on my pressing of Headless Cross is $118 for example) it’s not bad at all if you just want to own some version of these albums on vinyl. 

30 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Yeah, a little cheaper even if you go with a strict conversion - not sure what EU sites are charging. But when you consider the insane amount of money these albums fetch online (The median price on my pressing of Headless Cross is $118 for example) it’s not bad at all if you just want to own some version of these albums on vinyl. 

Not to mention these kind of boxsets usually love to inflate the cost by adding a bunch of unnecessary tat nobody wants. *ahem GNR *ahem

Kudos to Tony I for keeping it affordable for the fans.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

That mix for Forbidden sounds really promising. Huge difference from the original mix. If only we could get a similar treatment for Born Again...

https://blabbermouth.net/news/tony-iommi-says-original-tapes-for-black-sabbaths-born-again-album-have-been-found-im-thinking-of-remixing-it/

Well good news is that Born Again remix is on its way too. It's just a matter of when. Hopefully after this set. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...