Estranged Overlooked

Duffan

I was watching VH1 top 90 vids of 90's and the only GnR video that ranked was NR ( pulled in at 6 by BTW ) and unless it was #1  which I didn't see ( probably a Madonna or MJ vid they were all over the list ) , but I was VERY dissappointed I mean that was a great video right  ??? , Over the top , great song , good effects Why is this video and song always overlooked by the music industry and all the music shows , It's such BullSh*t .  :(

Peace GnR Nation  8)

Hey man if you read my post I listed earlier in the week(most expensive video ever) you will see I feel the same way you do about Estraned. Completely overlooked by the pop media. I'm glad to see there is a concerned GNR fan that cares about their non radio played songs as I do. Especially their deep cuts on UYI cds( have you heard Breakdown) Estranged kicks A S S!

Lazlow's V Rock rules Vice

• 10 years later...

Agreed, it's unfairly overlooked.

In fact I posted a while ago that I had never seen it on a music channel, which is strange if you ask me, alot of the time you can't even request it. An amazing video for the best song by one of the worlds greatest rock bands should never be off music television.

Estranged came out after YCBM, Dont Cry, LALD, NR. GNR was at critical mass in popularity. Estranged is a long, depressing kinda over-the-top song especially in the context of what was going on in music at the time. But, it was a popular song. it was everywhere. MTV had a a whole show dedicated to the release of the video and I saw it all the time.

Estranged was never a hit, which is the main reason the video rarely gets played. I think, aside from the length, the main reason is that it was the last single to come out from the Illusions. People probably just weren't that interested in buying the single because by that point most people probably already had the albums.

That's not to say it's not a good song, because it definitely is and has become a fan favorite or "hidden gem" if you will, but it's no surprise the video rarely gets played.

Estranged was never a hit, which is the main reason the video rarely gets played. I think, aside from the length, the main reason is that it was the last single to come out from the Illusions. People probably just weren't that interested in buying the single because by that point most people probably already had the albums.

That's not to say it's not a good song, because it definitely is and has become a fan favorite or "hidden gem" if you will, but it's no surprise the video rarely gets played.

Considering it came out after TSI came out, it made no sense for the label to want to put money into it, but it probably helped that they were doing the "making of" videos they were selling. MTV may have also paid for the exclusive rights to premiere it. I just think when you look when Michael Jackson put "Thriller" out, it was still on his way up. He sold 9 million of the "making of" videotape. Even if GNR sold 100K videos, that's still pretty good.

It was an album cut that they put out as a single to squeeze the last drop out of UYI.

I guess if Axl didn't break up with Stephanie, there prob. wouldn't have been a video. I think he just threw himself into it because real life was a bitch to deal with. So they splurged, used the same tank that they used for "Titanic" and instead of women, had dolphins.

It's prob. the last time the band had any fun together. Could we see any signs that the band was going to implode after that was made?

It wasn't that much longer after they did "Since I Don't Have You" video that Erin's People interview in July happened, and the "Sympathy for the Devil" sessions happened in October.

It is a downer of a song, let's not forget that. I just think with what was going on with Axl at the time, the video was worth throwing himself into. I think if they did it now, Don't Cry, Nov. Rain and Estranged would've been a short film making the festival circuit rounds and fleshing out Del's story more. Don't know if the band would've even been in it if they went in that direction.

I think it was a mix of "ballading out" and TSI being out that it kind of got overlooked a bit.

I mean, when people heard it for the first time live, it's not like people thought it was one of their best songs, because it's a slow song that goes on for a while. I think over time it's kind of become like their "Comfortably Numb". Kind of.