My email to KFAN AM Radio.

Almost Famous

The original band is Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. No technicality is going to change that. Axl himself would probably say the same thing.

I don't think Axl himself remembers the name of Ole Beich and Rob Gardner... He might remember Tracii Guns, though, because he is a little more famous.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AF: Great post! I liked it how you put everything in there... The sad thing is that most people are too proud to respect/listen to other ppl's points of view. This forum is a good example. I mean many posts were really not necessary.

Highvoltage: come on! Is it THAT a big deal that you can't call Slash an original member? I know what you mean and you're kinda right, but Sandman isn't wrong either. :)

AF: Great post! I liked it how you put everything in there... The sad thing is that most people are too proud to respect/listen to other ppl's points of view. This forum is a good example. I mean many posts were really not necessary.

Highvoltage: come on! Is it THAT a big deal that you can't call Slash an original member? I know what you mean and you're kinda right, but Sandman isn't wrong either. :)

The world isn't a circle either. Do you want to go back and change all of the history books or would you rather just accept that the world is close enough to round that the detail that it isn't perfectly round isn't all that important in the big scheme of things? Tracii's biggest contibution to GNR is half of the name.

Hey,i'm Droezle and i have to confess that i'm 100% behind these points GOAB made.

Slash with Axl helped build the most dangerous band on earth, creating riffs that will go down in history and to say Finck is better than him is well fucking laughable, i love Finck, the look , the playing the energy but he is not better than Slash and has not contributed on the same level to music ( yet ).

I do appreciate the fact that he (Slash) can be labled a guitar god by most fans and has earned that.

I love wathcing Finck but technicaly he is not at the level he should be, it may come with more time but he is not on the same level as say BF, Fortus, or even Slash.Still the energy he puts into shows makes up for that.

To diss Slash is so fucking bad considering what he gave us.

To diss Finck is also bad, he is GnR and staying and a joy to watch.

*edit* From what album is the song Streetchild??

Edited by droezle

You know what the funny thing is....Tracii himself has said many times that he wasn't in guns long enough to contribute much other than his name... go ahead and check pretty much every interview he's done on metal sludge...and yet some Axl/New gnr fans here would love to strip credit away from the AFD lineup on technicalities...

All I know is, at the rock n' roll hall of fame induction for gnr...Tracii Gunns, Robin Finck, Christ Pittman,etc will be nowhere in sight.

Edited by SylvesterStallone

You know what the funny thing is....Tracii himself has said many times that he wasn't in guns long enough to contribute much other than his name... go ahead and check pretty much every interview he's done on metal sludge...and yet some Axl/New gnr fans here would love to strip credit away from the AFD lineup on technicalities...

All I know is, at the rock n' roll hall of fame induction for gnr...Tracii Gunns, Robin Finck, Christ Pittman,etc will be nowhere in sight.

While I agree that Tracii won't be around, I wouldn't be so sure about the other two just yet. I could see Axl not even inviting Slash and Duff to the ceremony citing ownership of the band as his reason, especially if the new band is still around at that time. I'm not saying I agree (I don't), but I could see Axl being that stubborn and bullheaded.

Before they (and they is Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven) made appetite, Guns n Roses was just a name, after it, Guns n' Roses was a brand. And this brand is strongly connected with this 5 names.

Example: Would you call Coca Cola still Coca Cola if it would taste like 7up. Think about it! The name is nothing without the ingredients that makes/made it so special.

No, you're missing the point. You're treating Guns N' Roses as a name, as an entity.

Guns N' Roses is a name. Like Chris is what both you and I are called. Looking at them as an original band, I would have seen Axl, Tracii, Izzy, Ole (RIP), and Rob. What you said about the original band was harsh.

The original band is Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. No technicality is going to change that. Axl himself would probably say the same thing.

There is no 'is' about it. The original band was Axl, Tracii, Izzy, Ole (RIP) and Rob. No technicality is going to change that.

No, you're missing the point. You're treating Guns N' Roses as a name, as an entity.

Guns N' Roses is a name. Like Chris is what both you and I are called. Looking at them as an original band, I would have seen Axl, Tracii, Izzy, Ole (RIP), and Rob. What you said about the original band was harsh.

There is no 'is' about it. The original band was Axl, Tracii, Izzy, Ole (RIP) and Rob. No technicality is going to change that.

How about the technicality of signing a contract with Geffen in 1986? The names on that legal document signing the band of Guns N' Roses to the record label were Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

A group of stoners sitting on a couch and calling themselves Guns N' Roses is not a technicality. It is what it is, meaningless.

Well written and interesting read, although I think you might be over-estimating the abilities of the new guitarist, especially comparing Finck's stage presence to that of Angus Young. WAY OFF the mark. Fundamentally, the new guitarist might be better than the original line-up (huge maybe by the way), but they still don't have the same musical chemistry that the original line up had. They're getting there, and God willing they continue to do so, but they are not to the same level as the original members yet, whether they can be argued to be better muscians or not. We can only hope this GNR continues its growth and evolution and matures into a great band. I, for one, would love to see the orignial line up back together because of the music they created and the chemistry that allowed them to do so, but I'm starting to really like their new music, so as long as there is a new GNR album on the shelves by the end of the year, i'll be a happy man.

You know it sickens me that people are making a case that the original GNR was comprised of those retards traci and co.

To anyone who makes that claim, all i can say you are no more a Guns and Roses fan then you are an intelligent soul, by the way i dont agree with OP, the Slash section was nonsense (dont worry its all in my opinion, "oh no he has an opinion what shall we do") but the fact that I'd ever have to defend Slash's PLAYING on a GNR fan site is also sickening.....In my opinion it was a crap email.

I feel like the Grinch! >:>

Edited by Mr Estranged

You know it sickens me that people are making a case that the original GNR was comprised of those retards traci and co.

To anyone who makes that claim, all i can say you are no more a Guns and Roses fan then you are an intelligent soul, by the way i dont agree with OP, the Slash section was nonsense (dont worry its all in my opinion, "oh no he has an opinion what shall we do") but the fact that I'd ever have to defend Slash's PLAYING on a GNR fan site is also sickening.....In my opinion it was a crap email.

I feel like the Grinch! >:>

agreed

The fact that this board has turned into a place where you have to hate Axl or Slash or fucking Finck is such a fucking shame.

Slash with Axl helped build the most dangerous band on earth, creating riffs that will go down in history and to say Finck is better than him is well fucking laughable, i love Finck, the look , the playing the energy but he is not better than Slash and has not contributed on the same level to music ( yet ).

Im no longer interested in Slash but do not hate him, i do appreciate the fact that he can be labled a guitar god by most fans and has earned that.

I love wathcing Finck but technicaly he is not at the level he should be, it may come with more time but he is not on the same level as say BF, Fortus, or even Slash.Still the energy he puts into shows makes up for that.

To diss Slash is so fucking bad considering what he gave us.

To diss Finck is also bad, he is GnR and staying and a joy to watch.

Im not sure however that AF was dissing, seemed more like giving an opinion in an adult way and some dislike the opinion?

I can't recall ever hearing ?finck. I find this kids opinion stretched. he wasn't even out of diapers when guns n roses was a band. slash is, and that's that. i also think that slash and the rest of the band have had a hard road to follow. everybody exspects the next best album, when in reality most bands might get a song or at least two from an album(i'm old, Istill call them albums). I really think the problem isn't his talent getting worse, it's probally the fact that he can't play his best shit.

i'm a long standing fan of ALL of them and i always hope for the best for each. so when i read thelack of interest in one over the other i know your just a newby or a nobody. peace

Guns N' Roses is a name.

Guns N' Roses were 5 guys who singlehandedly tore through the music scene in LA and took the world by storm. The only thing that stopped them was the only thing that could.... themselves.

So many people here seem to forget that these days. How a fan can say that Guns N' Roses is just a "name" is beyond comprehension for me.

Guns N' Roses is a name.

Guns N' Roses were 5 guys who singlehandedly tore through the music scene in LA and took the world by storm. The only thing that stopped them was the only thing that could.... themselves.

So many people here seem to forget that these days. How a fan can say that Guns N' Roses is just a "name" is beyond comprehension for me.

if only there was a clapping smile

here about this rock1 to show my appreciation

he wasn't even out of diapers when guns n roses was a band.

He was 15 when they started... so he would've been out of diapers.

Unless, you're basing that on past experiences?

ho ho this ones a clever one, we've got to watch this one!!

Traci Guns didn't even play any shows with Guns N Roses. I guess you could call him a founding member, but to me, personally, the AFD lineup is the original.

Fucking wrong. Here is the prove.

04.11.85 - Radio City, Anaheim, CA

audio/video recording?: no

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener. In the flyer you can clearly see Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener, not Slash & Steven.

04.24.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer.

04.25.85 - Dancing Waters Club, San Pedro, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer

04.27.85 - Timbers Club, Glendora, CA

notes: This was another early incarnation of the band, which featured Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & another drummer.

First show with Slash and Steven:

06.06.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA

notes: This is the first Guns N' Roses gig that included Slash & Steven. They joined the band on this date. Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener are in the flyer for this show

You can find this information on gnrontour.com.

;)

Edited by droezle

Guns N' Roses is a name.

You misunderstood my meaning. The name comprises of three words (okay, two and an 'N'). Ergo, Guns N' Roses is a name. Comprenez? What I meant is what is behind the name, it's the people who make it what it is. The name itself was created by the original incarnation of the band, pushed forward by Axl, Tracii and Izzy. There is no 'Slash' in Guns N' Roses. There was no Slash then, and there isn't now. He's in the past, where he deserves to be - an icon of his time. Now, is not his time for Guns N' Roses. You're just twisting my words now, Guns N' Roses is a name, but it's the music and people that make is so much more. Unless you're one of those jackasses, which I doubt, who believes Guns N' Roses revolves around Slash, and they orbit around his asshole. But I'm sure you're way too detached for that. Understand my meaning now? Guns N' Roses is a name. No doubt. But it's what's behind it that we all know and love, and cherish.

The first Guns N' Roses show was on the 11th April, 1985. Slash played with the band first on the 06.06.85. He was two months late. He didn't start Guns N' Roses, and wasn't an original member.

Fact.

You cannot claim different.

The 'Appetite' Guns N' Roses Era may have their names on a contract to record, but three of their members did not found the band.

Guns N' Roses is a name.

You misunderstood my meaning. The name comprises of three words (okay, two and an 'N'). Ergo, Guns N' Roses is a name. Comprenez? What I meant is what is behind the name, it's the people who make it what it is. The name itself was created by the original incarnation of the band, pushed forward by Axl, Tracii and Izzy. There is no 'Slash' in Guns N' Roses. There was no Slash then, and there isn't now. He's in the past, where he deserves to be - an icon of his time. Now, is not his time for Guns N' Roses. You're just twisting my words now, Guns N' Roses is a name, but it's the music and people that make is so much more. Unless you're one of those jackasses, which I doubt, who believes Guns N' Roses revolves around Slash, and they orbit around his asshole. But I'm sure you're way too detached for that. Understand my meaning now? Guns N' Roses is a name. No doubt. But it's what's behind it that we all know and love, and cherish.

The first Guns N' Roses show was on the 11th April, 1985. Slash played with the band first on the 06.06.85. He was two months late. He didn't start Guns N' Roses, and wasn't an original member.

Fact.

The 'Appetite' Guns N' Roses Era may have their names on a contract to record, but three of their members did not found the band.

I'm pretty sure the point your making now is quite similar to the point he thought you were making...

Guns N' Roses is a name.

Fact.

I'm pretty sure the point your making now is quite similar to the point he thought you were making...

I was clarifying, he took it the wrong way.

I think the line begins to blur when people include the formation stage of a band.

This same argument happens with Kiss...some people insist Kiss started when Gene and Paul were in a band called Wicked Lester.

For all intents and purposes Kiss' original line up solidified (apart from doing live club shows) when they went into the recording studio as a unit,recorded and and released their first record.

Anything other than that is a biographical footnote regarding the formative stage of the band.

Same case scenario with GnR....imo