My email to KFAN AM Radio.

Almost Famous

:book: So lets just let the new GNR do there own defence by their own material and not their reproduction of the old stuff of the former band that molded there careers from the classics they helped create... im glad they play the old tunes (well-except solos that dont belong in the classics) well cause i would be no point in seein them in concert for the classics if they couldnt..The real issue is they havent done enough new (originals) for the public (just reproduction of the classics) and the general public hasnt had much to go on! And to use anything will old members to defend the new one is fuckin awful....only time and an original(albulm of they're own will do so!!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He mentioned Slash in his article as one of his points...I'm not saying I disagree with it as I stated in my post I made 5 minutes ago, which is located as the second post from the top on this page(or somewhere close to that)....all I'm saying is that he brought Slash in saying that he is going downhill....

While people are here for the new band, most will defend against Slash because they love him....It's like going onto the biggest and most loyal ACDC board and saying Bon Scott sucks. While people have their own opinions, almost everyone will come to the aid of Bon Scott. And before you say it is a completely different situation...it is not! Bon Scott was the original member and he died. (RIP) SLash was an "original" member(so to speak) and now he's out of the band. Brian Johnson came in and RELEASED material. Robin, Richard, and BBF are now in the band and hopefully will be releasing material soon. The only difference between the two is that one left because they passed away(RIP Bon Scott) and the other left because of unfortunate circumstances. Now whilst Bon Scott did die and ppl find an affection to him, if he did decide to leave ACDC back in 1979(or whenever it happened) in the same manner Slash left, you would also have people love him and run to his aid if anyone ever bashed him.

Now I'm not saying that bashing Slash is wrong because A_F has made valid points, even in his Slash part....but for you A_D to ask us why we "have our panties in a bunch" about comments made about old members, well that's just plain idiotic. It would be the same as if you went to the most loyal Van Halen forum around the time that Hagar joined and said bad things about David Lee Roth and expected them to be OK with it. Guess what?.... they wouldn't be!!

But nonetheless if you say bad things about Bon Scott on an ACDC forum then expect the pain to get brought unto you. And if you say bad things about Slash on a GNR forum then expect the pain to get brought unto you. And if you don't like it, which I know you don't A_D, then get the fuck out!

I read this entire thread, and I must say this is probably the best post in the whole thread....yet so.... :blink: overlooked?

Common sense isn't used that much around here.

-There's no way Axl's voice today is anywhere near the peak he achieved in 88-90.

-As far as Slash goes, listen to his work in Street Child; the guy is as good as he's ever been. I don't really like most of Contraband, but his playing is probably the only solid thing through most of the album. I don't fault the guy for making the Snakepit albums when he was just looking for a chance to do what he loves, and again I think, like Contraband, the guitar work on those is also pretty awesome. If Axl was the one singing on It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere, you'd be listenining to it multiple times a month :).

Edited by Ant

So yesterday at work my boss told me about KFAN AM radio ragging on this lineup and told me to email 'em n' put in my input about why they should go see this show.

Here is the email. Remember people, this is my opinion!

Hello there,

My boss mentioned to me that you were ragging on Guns N' Roses not being Guns N' Roses without Slash. Well, first off, let me introduce myself, I've been a fan of Guns N' Roses my whole life, I'm 17 now. Anyways, I've always been a die hard Guns N' Roses fan, I've got every live audio recording released so far, and a number of concerts in video/DVD. I've listened to each and everyone, and have came up with reasons to go and see this band live.

My Boss told me to either call or e-mail you guys about this little 'ragging' of the new band.

So, without further ado, here is my top 6 reasons why this upcoming concert at the Target Center would be worth going to.

1. Axl Rose's voice:

Currently, his vocals are the best that they've been at since December of 1991 to January of 1992. His voice was shot through out most of the two and a half year Use Your Illusion tour. During their 'stint' during 2002, Axl's voice was not up to par, he sounded more so like an early 1984/1985 Axl. In 2006, Axl's vocals are actually the best that they have ever been.

2. Guest appearances by Izzy Stradlin and Sebastain Bach:

Axl and Izzy got together on stage for the first time since May 30th, 1993, at the final show, May 17th 2006 of the four sold out shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. And, through out the European Tour, from June 11th, 2006 to the final show of the tour, on July 30st 2006 at Wembley Stadium in London, was a guest on anywhere from 3 to 5 songs a night.

Also, Sebastain Bach has been doing a duet with Axl on 'My Michelle'. Baz totally kicks ass on the song. From all the reviews I've read about the shows with Baz and Axl on vocals, almost everyone has said that it's been one of the highlights of the concert.

3. The combination of Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, Robin Finck, and Richard Fortus:

Richard Fortus and Robin Finck are the two tightest guitarist's in any band right now. They've both got amazing onstage charisma, and they're tighter then Slash n' Izzy were back in their heyday. Also, with the recent addition of Ron Thal, the three of them are the most talented, close nit guitarists currently out there. Ron's got amazing abilities, he's got the talent of Slash, and the ability to shred like ex-guitarist Buckethead.

Robin Finck worked with Nine Inch Nails and Cirque Du Soleil in the past. His got an on-stage presence that matches the likes of Angus Young. Richard Fortus did a lot of session work back before replacing longtime friend of Axl's and guitarist, Paul 'Huge' Tobias. Since the addition of Richard in the summer of 2002, Guns N' Roses have became even better. Richard and Robin are today's Slash and Izzy. They're a great team together.

4. A highly successful European Tour.

The European Tour consisted of a number of festival shows, including Download Festival at Castle Donnington, Gods Of Metal in Milan, Italy, Rock In Rio 2006, and the NovaRock festival.

This tour included 10 sold out shows, and was the most successful tour in the UK during the summer. This tour was the best tour for Guns N' Roses since the 1987/1988 tour for Appetite For Destruction. No riots like in 1991 and 1992, no walk offs in the middle of the show (There was one, but an audience member kept throwing shit at Axl after being told not to, but the show was ended without an encore. They finished their normal set, and skipped the two song encore, so that doesn't really count.)

Also, songs that haven't been played in years, for example Used To Love Her was played a few times during the tour.

And, we can't forget the live performances of some of the material from the upcoming album Chinese Democracy. (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Better, IRS, There Was A Time and Madagascar)

5. May 12,14,15, and 17 shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.

Well, the shows speak for themselves, seeing as they sold out in under 3 minutes. If no one wanted to see GnR because they don't have Slash, why would there be 10 sold out shows during the European Tour, and the 4 NYC shows selling out in under 3 minutes?

6. Slash:

Have you heard his playing in the last 10 years or so? He's lost a lot of the emotion he used to put into playing when he was with Guns N' Roses, frankly, I think he should 'retire' because, since leaving Guns N' Roses, his playing has went downhill. Velvet Revolver isn't worth even seeing live, or even listening to. The level that Slash used to play at, is no longer there, he will not be as good as he was before. Since 1993, his work has been going downhill. Listen to his Solo albums from Slash's Snakepit, they're mediocre at best, but hardly even that. But, don't get me wrong, I do like Slash, but since 1993 his work has not been to his full potential. Even the second Slash's Snakepit album, was hardly mentionable, and should not have been released. It was a huge flop on Slash's part. And, with the Velvet Revolver album, I couldn't make it through the first 4 tracks without turning it off, it was a very big letdown, not only for me, but other people who thought that VR might be up to par with GnR. Frankly, that is NOT the case. I haven't listened to the VR record since I turned it off, I was hugely let down, because it did not even come close to matching the hype that was made about it.

Media to help prove my point even more then already stated above:

Videos from Download Festival, Donnington, England can be found on the bands official website. I would link to the videos, but I can not.

So, go to www.gunsnroses.com and then click on watch video. There is three videos there, My Michelle featuring Sebastain Bach, Paradise City featuring Izzy, and Nightrain, also with Izzy Stradlin.

And, some audio; these are tracks that were leaked onto the Internet in February. (Please do not spread this link, I am hosting it on my own web space and I only have a small amount of bandwidth per month)

LINK Removed.

If you need some live stuff to even further prove my point, give me an address and I'll send out the complete recording of Download Festival, recorded from Axl's Monitor feed.

Hope you enjoyed the read;

Alex Anderson, a 17 year old die hard GnR fan from Bloomington.

What do you guys think? Don't bash, as it's a waste of time since this is based on my opinion as I stated above.

Dude, you are so awesome, I concur totally with you and fye!

Keep it up brother, you have my support rock3

SLash was an "original" member(so to speak)

He wasn't an original member, he replaced Tracii Guns. He wasn't even "original". Perhaps his playing style was (although that too is debatable). You, and I, can love Slash, but that doesn't stop him replacing Tracii Guns.

Edited by The Sandman

He wasn't an original member, he replaced Tracii Guns. He wasn't even "original". Perhaps his playing style was (although that too is debatable). You, and I, can love Slash, but that doesn't stop him replacing Tracii Guns.

Oh please. When you turn to saying something like that, you're clutching at straws. :sleeper:

Oh please. When you turn to saying something like that, you're clutching at straws. :sleeper:

Exactly, that take always reeks of pure desperation. As if Slash replacing Tracii Guns that early on, pre-AFD, equates in any way to the newer lineup replacing the legendary band that is known as GNR. :rolleyes:

You can't blame the newer guys, they had nothing to do with the bustup and were offered the opportunity of a lifetime to join Axl and they took it. Good for them. But at the same time, it's major penis-envy/little brother complex to think you have to WAAAY overreach and tear down the old members to try and justify the new. I mean, suggesting someone of Slash's stature and talent retire is not going to be taken seriously and comes off as pure new GNR fanboy with his head in the clouds. It's just juvenile stuff.

The old band earned everything they got and there's no legitimate diminshing of any of their contributions. For some reason, some people here just want everything handed to the new group on a silver platter--without a friggin' album even released. Like every other band, people will either like the new music or they won't so stop trying to shove it down their throats and turning them off even further...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

If Axl was the one singing on It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere, you'd be listenining to it multiple times a month

Aint that the truth you add Axl to any Snakepit record or VR record it will be better. You add Slash to OMG it wouldnt sound like such a pos. Slash and Axl just have that musical connection (that attracted most of us to this forum). Just sad there wasnt enough of a personal connection between Slash and Axl to mend forces :(

Hope Axl stays on the ball and Hope VR's ball starts rolling again. If they cant save music together(like in the good old days) at least they can fill the void by doing it at the same time. Which equals a lot of concerts for me to go to and new CDs for me to listen to.

^^^ lol Exactly! :lol:

Mulletheads ignore facts when it come to Slash!

Slash can do no wrong :lol:

if slash ain't playing it, it ain't good! :lol:

Bro, what's with the mullet-fetish you got going on? :huh:

Seriously, you were the first one heralding the choice of Baz for opening act which shows comical hipocrosy. If VR had chosen Bach as singer, or ever warmup act, the VR section would've never heard the end of it from you. He is the POSTER BOY for washed up 80's rock and I'm guessing new GNR and especially Baz do not attract all PhD's to the shows... :lol:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Sad that this turns into a Slash bash fest. If you idiots hate the guy so much then just stop listening to old GN'R tunes for fuck's sake. If you can't stop doing that then show a little respect, you obviously love the music he created. The old band was lucky to find Slash. Without him it's likely that things would be much different today, hell it's likely that this new band and Chinese Democracy wouldn't even exist. Isn't that irony for ya! The only reason Axl was given the time and money to put together this entire project is because of the success of the old band. A lot of it has to do with Axl, but a lot also has to do with Slash, Izzy, and Duff.

It's laughable how people can totally write off Slash's output since 1993. When I see someone do that I know that I shouldn't take their point too seriously. You can't just lump all his music into one category because the quality varies; the same way it does for all good artists. If you do that then it's obvious that you don't want to give him a fair chance. The Slither solo is amazing. His work on Loving the Alien is beautiful. His work on You Got No Right is as good as his past work in GN'R, and it's the best solo on the entire album. If you want to lump all of this, along with the rest of the album and Snakepit, into one category then you are obviously biased and will say anything he does is crap. The same holds true for new Guns; you don't just lump everything into the same category as Silkworms and OMG. You need to take each song and evaluate it on it's own merits.

So yesterday at work my boss told me about KFAN AM radio ragging on this lineup and told me to email 'em n' put in my input about why they should go see this show.

Here is the email. Remember people, this is my opinion!

Hello there,

My boss mentioned to me that you were ragging on Guns N' Roses not being Guns N' Roses without Slash. Well, first off, let me introduce myself, I've been a fan of Guns N' Roses my whole life, I'm 17 now. Anyways, I've always been a die hard Guns N' Roses fan, I've got every live audio recording released so far, and a number of concerts in video/DVD. I've listened to each and everyone, and have came up with reasons to go and see this band live.

My Boss told me to either call or e-mail you guys about this little 'ragging' of the new band.

So, without further ado, here is my top 6 reasons why this upcoming concert at the Target Center would be worth going to.

1. Axl Rose's voice:

Currently, his vocals are the best that they've been at since December of 1991 to January of 1992. His voice was shot through out most of the two and a half year Use Your Illusion tour. During their 'stint' during 2002, Axl's voice was not up to par, he sounded more so like an early 1984/1985 Axl. In 2006, Axl's vocals are actually the best that they have ever been.

2. Guest appearances by Izzy Stradlin and Sebastain Bach:

Axl and Izzy got together on stage for the first time since May 30th, 1993, at the final show, May 17th 2006 of the four sold out shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. And, through out the European Tour, from June 11th, 2006 to the final show of the tour, on July 30st 2006 at Wembley Stadium in London, was a guest on anywhere from 3 to 5 songs a night.

Also, Sebastain Bach has been doing a duet with Axl on 'My Michelle'. Baz totally kicks ass on the song. From all the reviews I've read about the shows with Baz and Axl on vocals, almost everyone has said that it's been one of the highlights of the concert.

3. The combination of Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, Robin Finck, and Richard Fortus:

Richard Fortus and Robin Finck are the two tightest guitarist's in any band right now. They've both got amazing onstage charisma, and they're tighter then Slash n' Izzy were back in their heyday. Also, with the recent addition of Ron Thal, the three of them are the most talented, close nit guitarists currently out there. Ron's got amazing abilities, he's got the talent of Slash, and the ability to shred like ex-guitarist Buckethead.

Robin Finck worked with Nine Inch Nails and Cirque Du Soleil in the past. His got an on-stage presence that matches the likes of Angus Young. Richard Fortus did a lot of session work back before replacing longtime friend of Axl's and guitarist, Paul 'Huge' Tobias. Since the addition of Richard in the summer of 2002, Guns N' Roses have became even better. Richard and Robin are today's Slash and Izzy. They're a great team together.

4. A highly successful European Tour.

The European Tour consisted of a number of festival shows, including Download Festival at Castle Donnington, Gods Of Metal in Milan, Italy, Rock In Rio 2006, and the NovaRock festival.

This tour included 10 sold out shows, and was the most successful tour in the UK during the summer. This tour was the best tour for Guns N' Roses since the 1987/1988 tour for Appetite For Destruction. No riots like in 1991 and 1992, no walk offs in the middle of the show (There was one, but an audience member kept throwing shit at Axl after being told not to, but the show was ended without an encore. They finished their normal set, and skipped the two song encore, so that doesn't really count.)

Also, songs that haven't been played in years, for example Used To Love Her was played a few times during the tour.

And, we can't forget the live performances of some of the material from the upcoming album Chinese Democracy. (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Better, IRS, There Was A Time and Madagascar)

5. May 12,14,15, and 17 shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.

Well, the shows speak for themselves, seeing as they sold out in under 3 minutes. If no one wanted to see GnR because they don't have Slash, why would there be 10 sold out shows during the European Tour, and the 4 NYC shows selling out in under 3 minutes?

6. Slash:

Have you heard his playing in the last 10 years or so? He's lost a lot of the emotion he used to put into playing when he was with Guns N' Roses, frankly, I think he should 'retire' because, since leaving Guns N' Roses, his playing has went downhill. Velvet Revolver isn't worth even seeing live, or even listening to. The level that Slash used to play at, is no longer there, he will not be as good as he was before. Since 1993, his work has been going downhill. Listen to his Solo albums from Slash's Snakepit, they're mediocre at best, but hardly even that. But, don't get me wrong, I do like Slash, but since 1993 his work has not been to his full potential. Even the second Slash's Snakepit album, was hardly mentionable, and should not have been released. It was a huge flop on Slash's part. And, with the Velvet Revolver album, I couldn't make it through the first 4 tracks without turning it off, it was a very big letdown, not only for me, but other people who thought that VR might be up to par with GnR. Frankly, that is NOT the case. I haven't listened to the VR record since I turned it off, I was hugely let down, because it did not even come close to matching the hype that was made about it.

Media to help prove my point even more then already stated above:

Videos from Download Festival, Donnington, England can be found on the bands official website. I would link to the videos, but I can not.

So, go to www.gunsnroses.com and then click on watch video. There is three videos there, My Michelle featuring Sebastain Bach, Paradise City featuring Izzy, and Nightrain, also with Izzy Stradlin.

And, some audio; these are tracks that were leaked onto the Internet in February. (Please do not spread this link, I am hosting it on my own web space and I only have a small amount of bandwidth per month)

LINK Removed.

If you need some live stuff to even further prove my point, give me an address and I'll send out the complete recording of Download Festival, recorded from Axl's Monitor feed.

Hope you enjoyed the read;

Alex Anderson, a 17 year old die hard GnR fan from Bloomington.

What do you guys think? Don't bash, as it's a waste of time since this is based on my opinion as I stated above.

Dude, you are so awesome, I concur totally with you and fye!

Keep it up brother, you have my support rock3

I think when he said "(so to speak)" that's what he was hinting at. ;)

Sad that this turns into a Slash bash fest. If you idiots hate the guy so much then just stop listening to old GN'R tunes for fuck's sake. If you can't stop doing that then show a little respect, you obviously love the music he created. .

THANKYOU!!!!! This should go for any of the people who bash Slash, just like A_D tells us to go back to the 80's if we bash Finck. Hey A_D, next time you slip AFD into your CD player, don't cause you don't like Slash.

And if you say that you listen for Axl, then why the fuck do you think we support this new band....cause of Axl.

So if I must go to "Yesterdays" section if I dislike FInck, then anyone who bashes Slash shouldn't be allowed to listen to Sweet CHild of Mine, November Rain, Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle, Civil War, and on and on.