Why Does Finck Get Slated So Much?

There Was A Fine

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a guitar player, so my opinion comes from my understanding of the instrument and my own personal taste...and it is in no way personal towards Robin.

1. his tone is terrible, really bad. could be his choice of equiment but more than likely it is just his skill level. much of the tonal quality from a player is in his hands...it's my understanding that he has not been playing that long relative to other guitarists in the band. it shows.

2. he is frequently out of tune with the rest of the band(could be his fault or the guitar techs)...more than likely it's his ear.

3. his is technically a very underskilled guitarist, as far as muscial chops go, he is probably the worst musician in the band. he is a very sloppy guitar player and at times is even out of key, and hits way too many bad notes.

4. He is not even the best guitarist in the band...far from it, he is the third best guitarist in this new GNR. Ron and especially Richard are light years ahead as far as musicianship goes...this really should be clear to anyone with a good ear.

5. the guitar playing on the leaks from him leave much to be desired(boring). the guitar work that was the most exciting to me was Bucket's...

6. he has butchered so many solos that I have heard, I cringe when it's his time up.

7. he often plays outside the time signature of the music. meaning he is out of time and sounds sloppy. some guitarist play behind or in front of the beat, but I would venture that based on his playing this is just done out of error becasue he is not consistent.

Thats my feelings exactly! :shocked:

I just couldn't make my version as civillised as that. rock3

Speed is not everything. Tapping and sweep picking are actually VERY basic techniques (tapping more so then sweep picking) and just stupid gimmicks that guitarists who can't write worth shit have to depend upon.

oh, and playing everything in the pentatonic scale is hard? :rofl-lol:

if hybrid tapping and sweeping are basic techniques, what are some advanced ones? If you say the minor scale i'll have to slap the shit outta you.

chances are, you're one of those guys that prefers slash because you're too embarrassed to admit you'll never be able to play 10% of what bbf or BH can, so you take the wasy way out.

just like the people that say cobain is better than slash... i see it all the time.

...not that slash isn't good, of course.

btw, moreblack, that comment about the robin message board was priceless. :lol:

I am a guitar player, so my opinion comes from my understanding of the instrument and my own personal taste...and it is in no way personal towards Robin.

1. his tone is terrible, really bad. could be his choice of equiment but more than likely it is just his skill level. much of the tonal quality from a player is in his hands...it's my understanding that he has not been playing that long relative to other guitarists in the band. it shows.

2. he is frequently out of tune with the rest of the band(could be his fault or the guitar techs)...more than likely it's his ear.

3. his is technically a very underskilled guitarist, as far as muscial chops go, he is probably the worst musician in the band. he is a very sloppy guitar player and at times is even out of key, and hits way too many bad notes.

4. He is not even the best guitarist in the band...far from it, he is the third best guitarist in this new GNR. Ron and especially Richard are light years ahead as far as musicianship goes...this really should be clear to anyone with a good ear.

5. the guitar playing on the leaks from him leave much to be desired(boring). the guitar work that was the most exciting to me was Bucket's...

6. he has butchered so many solos that I have heard, I cringe when it's his time up.

7. he often plays outside the time signature of the music. meaning he is out of time and sounds sloppy. some guitarist play behind or in front of the beat, but I would venture that based on his playing this is just done out of error becasue he is not consistent.

I would agree that he has good energy and loves what he is doing. he puts his whole person into his performance and I respect that. He is given the most playing time because of his tenure with Axl. Ultimately the only persons opinion that matter is Axl's so this post is really useless.

says it all for me-case closed

I would agree that he has good energy and loves what he is doing. he puts his whole person into his performance and I respect that. He is given the most playing time because of his tenure with Axl. Ultimately the only persons opinion that matter is Axl's so this post is really useless.

says it all

I have my moments.... heh heh heh. :shades:

But I gotta say, just because a player will never get to BBF's level in terms of skill doesn't mean they prefer guys like Slash out of fear for the uber-shredders. That can't be the reason bands like the Allman Brothers, Cream, and Zeppelin are still being listened to more than Vai or Yngwie. There's something to be said for bluesy pentatonic playing that just gets to people. I remember someone saying about Stevie Ray Vaughan:

"he can say more with one note than a shredder can say with a thousand".

Yes, it can be difficult to understand and dicipher the work of a true genius. It usually takes many years, even centuries, before we can understand the true awesomeness of their work. Our small little minds are only capable of grasping what we already know only. Anything different, outside-of-the-box, or unknown is intolerable. But genius know that the truth of knowledge is limited by its time. What may hold true today, may not necessarily be true tomorrow.

Good try, but your theory doesn't explain why a guitar player like Kurt Cobain was able to kick everyone's ass, including Slash's, and continues to this day to sell more records then Slash or any other "technically" gifted guitar player. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Cobain wasn't trying to be or sound like everyone else? Maybe what people really want are something new, different, and creative. An innovative and distinct new sound. Instead of the same old copy-cat sounds that so many guitar players seem to offer oh so well.

If everyone prescribed to your theory, then rock 'n' roll, and all of music and art in general, would not be what we know today.

A man comes across two roads and must decided which one to take. Instead, he creates his own path.

so are you implying that Nirvana has sold more albums than GNR? they must in order for Cobain to have sold more records than Slash...

As far as the genius or playing weird notes and outside of the confines of rock, then what's he doing in the most rock and roll rock band there is?

If I wanna listen to weird playing, I'll take Buckethead over Finck anyday. Now THERE's a misunderstood genius.

Yes, it can be difficult to understand and dicipher the work of a true genius. It usually takes many years, even centuries, before we can understand the true awesomeness of their work. Our small little minds are only capable of grasping what we already know only. Anything different, outside-of-the-box, or unknown is intolerable. But genius know that the truth of knowledge is limited by its time. What may hold true today, may not necessarily be true tomorrow.

Good try, but your theory doesn't explain why a guitar player like Kurt Cobain was able to kick everyone's ass, including Slash's, and continues to this day to sell more records then Slash or any other "technically" gifted guitar player. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Cobain wasn't trying to be or sound like everyone else? Maybe what people really want are something new, different, and creative. An innovative and distinct new sound. Instead of the same old copy-cat sounds that so many guitar players seem to offer oh so well.

If everyone prescribed to your theory, then rock 'n' roll, and all of music and art in general, would not be what we know today.

A man comes across two roads and must decided which one to take. Instead, he creates his own path.

Cobain was successful because of his songwriting talents, he has no real guitar skill, other factors that helped his fame include his image (dissatisfied youth) and timing (early 90s), while I'm not saying that when talking about a guitarist skill, the songwriting factor isn't important but i am saying in the Cobain case thats all he had, he's not known has a guitarist hes known as a singer foremost, songwriter second

Also to say that Finck is an innovator is both laughable and stupid, what you new path as the man with one recorded song carved, please tell me?

I have my moments.... heh heh heh. :shades:

But I gotta say, just because a player will never get to BBF's level in terms of skill doesn't mean they prefer guys like Slash out of fear for the uber-shredders. That can't be the reason bands like the Allman Brothers, Cream, and Zeppelin are still being listened to more than Vai or Yngwie. There's something to be said for bluesy pentatonic playing that just gets to people. I remember someone saying about Stevie Ray Vaughan:

"he can say more with one note than a shredder can say with a thousand".

yeah i understand, a lot of it is a matter of taste. but for someone to badmouth a technique tells me that this guy has a lot to learn.

so are you implying that Nirvana has sold more albums than GNR? they must in order for Cobain to have sold more records than Slash...

As far as the genius or playing weird notes and outside of the confines of rock, then what's he doing in the most rock and roll rock band there is?

If I wanna listen to weird playing, I'll take Buckethead over Finck anyday. Now THERE's a misunderstood genius.

Are you saying GnR = Slash?

If that's the case, Slash has put out more albums then GnR ever has, but yet he hasn't been able to capture the same kind of success. It's funny how GnR hasn't put out an album out in 20 years, but yet, GnR still garners more attention and can still sell out entire arenas - without Slash. What makes GnR different from Slash then? Hmm... Maybe the geniuses of Axl Rose has something to do with that?

And yes, GnR is a rock 'n' roll band. I guess you didn't read my little tidbit on the limitation of knowledge. Rock 'n' roll is ever changing. It's not stuck in 1984 like you still like to believe it is. Elvis changed rock 'n' roll. The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. Zepellin changed rock 'n' roll. Phil Spector changed rock 'n' roll. Queen changed rock 'n' roll. Pink Floyd changed rock 'n' roll. Metallica change rock 'n' roll. Run DMC changed rock'n' roll. GnR changed rock 'n' roll. Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg changed rock 'n' roll. U2 changed rock 'n' roll. Nirvana changed rock 'n' roll. NIN changed rock 'n' roll.

And once again, GnR (Axl, Finck, Stinson, Fortus, Brain, Dizzy, Pitman) will change rock 'n' roll again.

Rock 'n' roll has always been able the fusion of all the different sounds out there. Rock 'n' roll has always been about be accepting of everything that's different. Axl has always said GnR is a rock 'n' roll band - a band that is about the fusion of many different sounds and genre in creating a music that is distinctly GnR. That's why GnR was successful with AFD. They were something new and different. A blend of so many different sounds and genres. And Axl tried to do the same with UYI, but as he has said, "members of the band were set in their own old ways." Slash and Duff failed to understand what GnR was all about.

Axl has now surrounded himself with musicians who understand this and who aren't afraid of change. And apparently, some fans still think it's 1984 and aren't accepting of the change.

Newsflash: Cobain's Nirvana has sold more records then Slash's Snakepit and VR, and he's a talentless guitarist.

Edited by Anti

If that's the case, Slash has put out more albums then GnR ever has, but yet he hasn't been able to capture the same kind of success. It's funny how GnR hasn't put out an album out in 20 years, but yet, GnR still garners more attention and can still sell out entire arenas - without Slash. What makes GnR different from Slash then? Hmm... Maybe the geniuses of Axl Rose has something to do with that?

And yes, GnR is a rock 'n' roll band. I guess you didn't read my little tidbit on the limitation of knowledge. Rock 'n' roll is ever changing. It's not stuck in 1984 like you still like to believe it is. Elvis changed rock 'n' roll. The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. Zepellin changed rock 'n' roll. Phil Spector changed rock 'n' roll. Queen changed rock 'n' roll. Pink Floyd changed rock 'n' roll. Metallica change rock 'n' roll. Run DMC changed rock'n' roll. GnR changed rock 'n' roll. Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg changed rock 'n' roll. U2 changed rock 'n' roll. Nirvana changed rock 'n' roll. NIN changed rock 'n' roll.

And once again, GnR (Axl, Finck, Stinson, Fortus, Brain, Dizzy, Pitman) will change rock 'n' roll again.

Rock 'n' roll has always been able the fusion of all the different sounds out there. Rock 'n' roll has always been about be accepting of everything that's different. Axl has always said GnR is a rock 'n' roll band - a band that is about the fusion of many different sounds and genre in creating a music that is distinctly GnR. That's why GnR was successful with AFD. They were something new and different. A blend of so many different sounds and genres. And Axl tried to do the same with UYI, but as he has said, "members of the band were set in their own old ways." Slash and Duff failed to understand what GnR was all about. And apparently, some fans still think it's 1984.

Newsflash: Cobain's Nirvana has sold more records then Slash's Snakepit and VR, and he's a talentless guitarist.

Making long posts can make you look smarter. I applaud your effort. The thing you forgot is you actually need to know what you're talking about when you make those long posts.

Kurt's sales come from the success of the BAND he was in, just like Slash's.

And don't kid yourself about the attention GNR is garnering, that does not come solely from Finck, Stintson, Thal, and Co.

Part of the appeal is the legacy the old band left behind. Those songs will be around forever and they wrote them. And no matter how much anyone tries to discredit the old band just to make the new one seem decent, it's never gonna erase their names off the GNR legacy.

Rock 'n' roll has always been able the fusion of all the different sounds out there. Rock 'n' roll has always been about be accepting of everything that's different. Axl has always said GnR is a rock 'n' roll band - a band that is about the fusion of many different sounds and genre in creating a music that is distinctly GnR. That's why GnR was successful with AFD. They were something new and different. A blend of so many different sounds and genres. And Axl tried to do the same with UYI, but as he has said, "members of the band were set in their own old ways." Slash and Duff failed to understand what GnR was all about. And apparently, some fans still think it's 1984.

Failed to understand what? That in order to suceed, we must become a grunge band...oh wait thats not popular now, lets become an industrial rock band because thats popular!!

Whats wrong with sticking to your roots? Axl wanted to mould the band into what was popular at the time.

And that my friend, is selling out on your creative integrity.

It's funny how GnR hasn't put out an album out in 20 years, but yet, GnR still garners more attention and can still sell out entire arenas - without Slash. What makes GnR different from Slash then? Hmm... Maybe the geniuses of Axl Rose has something to do with that?

OR maybe it's just the name of the band that's selling tickets.

Not from anything we've heard so far.

Keep on hoping though.

]

You should really stop cause you're just embarassing yourself now.

Kurt Cobain is not known as a great guitarist, but as a songwriter/singer.

Orig GNR has outsold Nirvana so therefore, Slash has outsold Kurt.

Slash isn't known for his technical skill, but rather the awesome riffs/solos(SCOM, NR, etc--maybe you should take a listen), and the emotion and passion he puts into his music.

And if people don't like that bluesy rock, then why did so many people buy AFD? Why does Greatest Hits sell so well? Do that many people buy music they hate? Why are Slash's solos considered some of the greatest ever if people don't like it? Explain also why so many people want Slash back?

If people love Finck so much, then why do so many wish that it was either Ron or Richard playing lead?

GnR still garners more attention and can still sell out entire arenas - without Slash.

Yeah, but why do you think all those people want to see the band, because of the 15 songs with guitar parts written by Slash or because of 3 leaks?

Rock 'n' roll has always been able the fusion of all the different sounds out there. Rock 'n' roll has always been about be accepting of everything that's different. Axl has always said GnR is a rock 'n' roll band - a band that is about the fusion of many different sounds and genre in creating a music that is distinctly GnR. That's why GnR was successful with AFD. They were something new and different. A blend of so many different sounds and genres. And Axl tried to do the same with UYI, but as he has said, "members of the band were set in their own old ways." Slash and Duff failed to understand what GnR was all about.

Axl has now surrounded himself with musicians who understand this and who aren't afraid of change. And apparently, some fans still think it's 1984 and aren't accepting of the change.

wow--none of this even makes any sense. You do realize that SLASH was the guitarist on AFD? And on the UYI's, Axl gave a personal thank you to Slash--its right there in the liner notes on 'Estranged'.

The main reason for the success of GNR was the combo of Axl's vocals and Slash on guitar, not either one of them alone. So no, Slash does not = GNR. Axl+Slash = GNR

Axl has surrounded himself with musicians who will do whatever the hell he tells them to; after all, that's what he's paying them for.

And when did Snoop & Dre change rock n' roll? :question: Matter of fact, when did Run DMC change rock n' roll?? (although I did like them doing "Walk this Way" with Aerosmith)

Edited by luvaxl4ever

Making long posts can make you look smarter. I applaud your effort. The thing you forgot is you actually need to know what you're talking about when you make those long posts.

And those who have very little to say are either very smart and humble, or are either really stupid and can't offer anything to the conversation.

And those who have very little to say are either very smart and humble, or are either really stupid and can't offer anything to the conversation.

Like you have so much to say besides 'Slash sucks'

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"--Mark Twain

Sadly for you, you removed all doubt.