Why Does Finck Get Slated So Much?

There Was A Fine

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people don't even know how Axl and Finck met. When Axl was looking for another guitarist, Matt Sorum took Axl to see him play in Cirque de Soleil. Matt thought Finck would be a good fit with Slash. Kind of like that other guitarist in VR. A young innovative guitarist to complement Slash's old rocker style. That's what Matt thought. Axl thought differently. Axl knew right there and then, he wanted Finck to replace Slash.

So for all you suckas out there, blame Matt if you don't like Finck!!!!

That brought tears to my eye.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Edited by SERPICO

Shit, I just read this thread and realized that some of my favorite guitarists aren't really good. Neither Chuck Berry nor Keith Richards can play a scale as fast as Zakk Wylde can. They suck.

Yeah, Now I have to start and listen to Buckethead and Wylde.

I have to throw away my Cream, SRV, Rory Gallagher and SRV records.

It's really a slap in the face when you realize that your idols sucks :(

Zakk Wydle vs. Slash:

Watch as Slash tries to keep up but can only do his cheezy same old blues solos over and over ...

But whats your point? Slash sounds sweet there. Finck would NEVER be able to keep up with Zakk fucking Wylde, are you serious? :lol:

Point being? Slash's ego.

Imagine going to work everyday and having to work with someone who was better then you at what you do but could also shred faster? That's the dilemna Slash was facing when Axl was looking for new guitarists to work with. Zakk Wylde was one of them new guitarists working with GnR. He can do everything Slash does, but smoother and faster. Slash obviously had issues with that and left.

Finck on the other hand isn't insecure or an egomaniac who wants the spotlight only himself. Unlike Slash, he is willing to work with anybody even if they might be technically better. Unlike Slash, he didn't get scared and leave when someone like Buckethead joined the band.

Bringing another lead guitarist in the mix had way more to do with Axl's ego than Slash's. He was sharing the spotlight with Slash, with more than one lead guitarist Axl could be seen as more of a frontman and less of half a duo. Why do you think we have 3 lead/rythm guitarists now?

Slash left because the band was becomming less and less Guns N' Roses, and less and less a hard rock band. You dont just bring other members into bands, especially if the band reached the status Guns N' Roses did. Also, with bringing another guitarist in the band, it was straying way to far away from the traditional bluesy hard rock sound that Guns N' Roses defined, the sound Slash, Duff, and Izzy love. Slash left for the same reason Izzy did.

That's a good quote from May, and just proves my ORIGINAL point that Axl thought it was a GOOD thing Finck originally left. Thanks for posting. :)

Brian confirms that Axl wanted to ditch the stuff Robin had worked on and calls him in to work on material that Axl would actually like. Too bad Brian couldn't stick around longer, like another 6 years or so...

hahahahha ok, how did you come up with THAT conclusion after reading Brian May's quote is beyond me...

let's see, you highlighted this part of the quote: "'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'"

where in the hell do you read from that that Axl didn't like Robin's stuff??? Axl's just only asking May to help him make some new stuff that he will like as much or more than the stuff he made with Robin cuz he had departed and Axl didn't want to use his stuff now that he was gone but he actually loved that stuff!!!! you know, the part where he says he doesn't want to 'feel too bad about ditching it'??? cuz he liked Robin's work!!!!!

so, really, I don't see how that quote confirms anything of what you just said.. Longpig made a good point too.. but you prefer to keep on thinking whatever you want and not open your eyes and read, if you would actually read and interpret the quotes right you would see what we are saying..

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, because if you don't know why Finck was hired, then I really can't help you.

And you are making the arrogant assumption that Axl doesn't want a REAL lead guitarist for his band, just because it's set up that way.

No, Robin doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing and how, but then again, it certainly explains why he doesn't have a bunch of fans in the first place.

and do YOU know why Robin was hired??? no one knows for that matter.. to say he was hired as a guitarist would be really closed minded.. cuz he actually seems to have done a lot more with Axl.. you know writing???

i'm not assuming anything, I'm just repeating what Richard said once in an email.. that if it was for him he would prefer 2 guitarists but Axl was the one that wanted 3 guitarists in the band and Axl was the one that pretty much wanted that line up configuration.. I've read that from Richard's mail, i'm not assuming

and your last comment, Robin doesn't have fans??? mmm there's a forum dedicated only to him and there's over 100 members over there.. and out of the new members I would say he's the only one that has that many loyal fans outside of the band and not fans that like him but first and foremost are GN'R fans.. you know, for example, Richard is awesome, I really like him.. but everyone that prefers him over Robin doesn't consider themselves a 'Richard fan', they are more like 'new lineup fans that prefer Richard' but Robin fans are Robin fans.. beyond their love for New GN'R

Zakk Wydle vs. Slash:

Watch as Slash tries to keep up but can only do his cheezy same old blues solos over and over ...

But whats your point? Slash sounds sweet there. Finck would NEVER be able to keep up with Zakk fucking Wylde, are you serious? :lol:

Point being? Slash's ego.

Imagine going to work everyday and having to work with someone who was better then you at what you do but could also shred faster? That's the dilemna Slash was facing when Axl was looking for new guitarists to work with. Zakk Wylde was one of them new guitarists working with GnR. He can do everything Slash does, but smoother and faster. Slash obviously had issues with that and left.

Finck on the other hand isn't insecure or an egomaniac who wants the spotlight only himself. Unlike Slash, he is willing to work with anybody even if they might be technically better. Unlike Slash, he didn't get scared and leave when someone like Buckethead joined the band.

Bringing another lead guitarist in the mix had way more to do with Axl's ego than Slash's. He was sharing the spotlight with Slash, with more than one lead guitarist Axl could be seen as more of a frontman and less of half a duo. Why do you think we have 3 lead/rythm guitarists now?

Slash left because the band was becomming less and less Guns N' Roses, and less and less a hard rock band. You dont just bring other members into bands, especially if the band reached the status Guns N' Roses did. Also, with bringing another guitarist in the band, it was straying way to far away from the traditional bluesy hard rock sound that Guns N' Roses defined, the sound Slash, Duff, and Izzy love. Slash left for the same reason Izzy did.

Good work there!

It is dispicable that the rest of these fools would argue Finck is better than Slash and that the blues has no place in the GNR sound, Mr Rose may or may not realise a great album (I think personally it'll be fairly solid) but he'll always have alot to answer for for stealing that name!

For no other reason than to hear morans berate Slash, in favour of a medicore guitarist, who by & large poorly replicates Slash material, with the exception of some notibles (The blues/Better/TWAT) and then to hear these same fools tell me, they're the GNR fans and that I'm some loser stuck in the past, ouch!

GNR WAS IZZY, SLASH, DUFF and AXL

mr Roses new band is fairly solid, it demonstrates his part of the GNR sound perfectly, poppy vocal lines and epic ballads (just as VR represents to some degree Slash and Duffs contributions to the overall sound)

the one major set back to Roses "vision" in my opinion is the emphasis given to Finck over Bumblefoot (and Buckethead before him).

To say that Finck is far superior than Slash is testamount to the following condtions:

1. AXL Rose fandom, where by anything that Rose does is considered above reproach, i.e finck was picked by Axl, therefore finck is a guitar god or finck was fired by Axl therefore Finck is a child molester..

2. Dillusionism, the idea that you are in support of a "band" and are not a mere Rose fanatic, may force people to support members irrationally over past members to demonstrate they are not mere Axl fanboys.

3. You are Axl's disillusion or his aptly titled alter ego, "king dick".

Ok, i'm a little late (i saw this when it had like 8 pages so i stayed away) but i had to see what people put and really people dont know wtf they are talking about and its really pissing me off. Is it they don't play guitar? I do and i know how hard it is learning a song and i think the reason why he "mixes the old solos with his own style" is for one reason...hes fucking lazy! the way he plays is downright horrible. yes i said it. yes he's ok at guitar, but hes no where near as good as slash is even today (yes i know slash is horrible compared to AFD days) but still tell slash to play NR or SCOM and he'll put more mixes to it then Finck will ever.

couple people say he's playing his own version of the solos and people hate him cause hes not playing all the notes that slash did. listen closely to each version and you'll hear that he plays more notes then slash at parts! The reason why i slate him so fucking much his he's killing the old shit, thats what the do mostly play at concerts.

The new material is good, maybe great even and he does a great job on those style of songs. He plays them live great, but he MUST work on the old songs. People dont know about him still and if he wants to make a name for himself, play the fucking solos how they were written! And yes i do know for a FACT that no one knows he's the main man in GnR now. I was listening to 97.9 (loop {chicago based radio station}) and the DJ said axl AND BUCKETHEAD. i tried callin in to correct him but didnt get threw. Now these loyal GnR fans who want to hear these classics played how they are remembered and who dont know theres a new gnr will be pist if they hear some guy that runs around in a skirt attempt to spice them up, and hes changing them up so much that they are no longer the same song, people will be pist.

so why people slate him.

A) Because the way he plays the old songs, they sound too different for most taste

B) Indeed, he isn't slash so people resent him but thats not the main reason

C) He's the worst out of the 3 guitarists yet he's the one playing lead.

That's a good quote from May, and just proves my ORIGINAL point that Axl thought it was a GOOD thing Finck originally left. Thanks for posting. :)

Brian confirms that Axl wanted to ditch the stuff Robin had worked on and calls him in to work on material that Axl would actually like. Too bad Brian couldn't stick around longer, like another 6 years or so...

hahahahha ok, how did you come up with THAT conclusion after reading Brian May's quote is beyond me...

let's see, you highlighted this part of the quote: "'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'"

where in the hell do you read from that that Axl didn't like Robin's stuff??? Axl's just only asking May to help him make some new stuff that he will like as much or more than the stuff he made with Robin cuz he had departed and Axl didn't want to use his stuff now that he was gone but he actually loved that stuff!!!! you know, the part where he says he doesn't want to 'feel too bad about ditching it'??? cuz he liked Robin's work!!!!!

so, really, I don't see how that quote confirms anything of what you just said.. Longpig made a good point too.. but you prefer to keep on thinking whatever you want and not open your eyes and read, if you would actually read and interpret the quotes right you would see what we are saying..

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, because if you don't know why Finck was hired, then I really can't help you.

And you are making the arrogant assumption that Axl doesn't want a REAL lead guitarist for his band, just because it's set up that way.

No, Robin doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing and how, but then again, it certainly explains why he doesn't have a bunch of fans in the first place.

and do YOU know why Robin was hired??? no one knows for that matter.. to say he was hired as a guitarist would be really closed minded.. cuz he actually seems to have done a lot more with Axl.. you know writing???

i'm not assuming anything, I'm just repeating what Richard said once in an email.. that if it was for him he would prefer 2 guitarists but Axl was the one that wanted 3 guitarists in the band and Axl was the one that pretty much wanted that line up configuration.. I've read that from Richard's mail, i'm not assuming

and your last comment, Robin doesn't have fans??? mmm there's a forum dedicated only to him and there's over 100 members over there.. and out of the new members I would say he's the only one that has that many loyal fans outside of the band and not fans that like him but first and foremost are GN'R fans.. you know, for example, Richard is awesome, I really like him.. but everyone that prefers him over Robin doesn't consider themselves a 'Richard fan', they are more like 'new lineup fans that prefer Richard' but Robin fans are Robin fans.. beyond their love for New GN'R

great post. robin's fanbase is growing by the day.

i bet thats a cool board you are speaking of.

Yes, I'm sure the man who wrote some of the best riffs/solos in the business is scared of Finck etc. :rolleyes:

The reason Slash is so "mainstream" is because of his soulful playing and the passion he puts into his music. It appeals to people who enjoy different types of music, not just fans of hard rock. But orig Guns in general was mainstream, thanks to SCOM.

As far as why he gets more media? Because people are moved by his playing. And he epitomized what Guns used to be about, as all the original guys did.

Izzy was not an influential guitarist--he was much more influential as a writer.

Finck is horrible at lead on the old songs. Richard or Bumble should be the ones doing them.

And Slash does not have an afro. Jimi Hendrix had an afro. Slash just has curly hair.

Glad to see you back luvaxl4ever :)

its nice to have a place where we dont have to read posts from haters like you.

and you are supposed to be people who should be supporting robin because he's the lead guitarist in their supposed favorite band.

yet you want to sit there and dwell on 10 years ago.

shame on the mods here for allowing this thread to go as far as it did. and i'm the one who got a fucking warning.

Edited by King Dick

Okay, you want to show me where EXACTLY in Brian's quote he says Axl "LOVES" the stuff Robin did?

You see, the problem is I don't need to interpret anything. All I have to do is highlight the actual quote and it answers for me. I'm NOT putting other words in anyone's mouth and making mindless assumptions about how Axl may or may not have felt. Brian used the words "ditching the stuff", not me. So yeah, tell me in THAT Brian quote that you posted where he says "Axl actually loved the stuff" and "Axl likes Robin's work".

And since we're on the subject of interpreting quotes, you can also point out where Axl says he "likes Robin's work" or "He loves the stuff" when he talks about Robin's original departure. Because honestly I just haven't been able to find those particular words anywhere, yet you keep insisting that is how Axl feels.

Axl: "...it turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step further, that had he (Robin) been here, it's not something that would have been considered..."

Yes, well, I don't know everything that went into Finck's contract when he was hired as an employee by Axl, but I guess one could assume song writing duties were part of it. I do know that the only assumption I wouldn't have to make is that Finck was hired to be a guitarist for the band, however, maybe I'm overstepping my boundaries here and just assuming too much.

Here's another assumption. Since Finck came on board before Richard, Bucket, and now Ron, maybe Axl knew the guitarist he already had wasn't capable of playing all the material, and that's why he wanted, or dare I say needed. 3 of them.

Robin has a whole 100 fans on a message board! I'm happy for him. Really.

and you are supposed to be people who should be supporting robin because he's the lead guitarist in their supposed favorite band.

Why should people support him if they don't like him?

I support Tommy, Richard, Brain, Chris and Ron as they are competant enough to replace their respected predocessors. Robin does not fufill the position he has been given. He is not Lead Guitarist material. Changing his image from Cyber Goth to Hippie Tramp was a form of selling out for me, and I do not support shit like that.

shame on the mods here for allowing this thread to go as far as it did. and i'm the one who got a fucking warning.

:rofl-lol:

HAHA. Some of you guys know NOTHING about guitar.

None of the guitarists in GN'R could hold a candle to Slash... Oh but wait! BBF plays liek sooooo fast.

Speed is not everything. Tapping and sweep picking are actually VERY basic techniques (tapping more so then sweep picking) and just stupid gimmicks that guitarists who can't write worth shit have to depend upon.

HAHA. Some of you guys know NOTHING about guitar.

None of the guitarists in GN'R could hold a candle to Slash... Oh but wait! BBF plays liek sooooo fast.

Speed is not everything. Tapping and sweep picking are actually VERY basic techniques (tapping more so then sweep picking) and just stupid gimmicks that guitarists who can't write worth shit have to depend upon.

THANK YOU!!! SOMEONE DOES HAVE A FUCKING BRAIN!!!!!

what he's saying is that really playing fast does sound cool, its a lil technech called tremlo picking or alternate picking which is hard at first but after time is very very easy. Slayer is tremlo and thats all finck does. some poeple do it to much others now when to do it. Slash used a lot of hammar-ons a pulloffs, played fast and was clean. thats why he's better. playing a solo a bit different but throwing in thousands of notes but not getting the sound like i said is pure lazyness.

BBF plays very very fast, hes good though because in his solos u can tell he knows how to play fast properly. if you guys wanna really be impress by some poeple playing fast http://youtube.com/watch?v=GuX2QaEG_8s dragonforce. slash probably cant play like this, but this guy really isnt all that good. pick up a guitar and learn to play.

btw king dick, you do relize half the shit you say makes you sound like your only 14?

I support Tommy, Richard, Brain, Chris and Ron as they are competant enough to replace their respected predocessors. Robin does not fufill the position he has been given. He is not Lead Guitarist material. Changing his image from Cyber Goth to Hippie Tramp was a form of selling out for me, and I do not support shit like that.

You dumb shit - Robin has ALWAYS changed his look. Over the past 10 years hes changed it about 7 times. Its part of who he is. Go look at some old pictures of him.

You dumb shit - Robin has ALWAYS changed his look. Over the past 10 years hes changed it about 7 times. Its part of who he is. Go look at some old pictures of him.

no he hasnt. i just looked at him. he went from punk, punk mixed goth manson style (or all fucked up), to circus freak, to now so thats like 4 but 3 of those are very hard to notice much difference. so really freak and now.

no he hasnt. i just looked at him. he went from punk, punk mixed goth manson style (or all fucked up), to circus freak, to now so thats like 4 but 3 of those are very hard to notice much difference. so really freak and now.

Finck's cool. It just a matter of taste. It's no different from the tight leather pants, women bracelets, silk shirts, and those see through shirts (the ones with a lot of holes) that Slash likes to wear.

Change is also good. As you age, you change. Look at Axl. He hung up his femine leather look when the 80's ended (unlike Slash).

Here's a video of some old lady giving Slash advice on fashion. It's pretty sad when you still dress like you did 20 years ago and an old lady can relate to your fashion sense.

It's pretty sad when you

...sign up at a messageboard for the sole purpose of bashing an ex-member?

If you were making posts in other topics as well, then it would be fine - but you've joined for the sole purpose of bashing Slash. Get a life.

Same thing goes for those that do nothing but bash Robin all day.

Im sorry but who are you?

To prove my point here are some pictures of him over the years..

candid015.jpg

candid016.jpg

candid020.jpg

Before NIN he had his band "bat Your Lashes" which he dressed in a 'rock' kinda style but with his own twist.

Hes not a guy whose trying to be a 'goth' or a 'hippie' - he chooses his style from a range of cultures and influences. Like for example he likes to wear clogs which is dutch and bandanas round his neck which is very southern. Hes known to wear Sambreos (sorry bad spellings) which is Mexican.

Finck's cool. It just a matter of taste. It's no different from the tight leather pants, women bracelets, silk shirts, and those see through shirts (the ones with a lot of holes) that Slash likes to wear.

Change is also good. As you age, you change. Look at Axl. He hung up his femine leather look when the 80's ended (unlike Slash).

Here's a video of some old lady giving Slash advice on fashion. It's pretty sad when you still dress like you did 20 years ago and an old lady can relate to your fashion sense.

Yes, Axl went from the "feminine leather" to wearing tight ass biker shorts; I personally liked it, but he was slaughtered by sooo many people for that; then came the kilts, and then the big jersey era.

Slash on the other hand has never been made fun of for his fashion sense.

The only person who is pathetic is you; you seem to spend more time looking for Slash clips than people who think he's a legend. So again, I implore you...put the crack away!

Edited by luvaxl4ever

I am a guitar player, so my opinion comes from my understanding of the instrument and my own personal taste...and it is in no way personal towards Robin.

1. his tone is terrible, really bad. could be his choice of equiment but more than likely it is just his skill level. much of the tonal quality from a player is in his hands...it's my understanding that he has not been playing that long relative to other guitarists in the band. it shows.

2. he is frequently out of tune with the rest of the band(could be his fault or the guitar techs)...more than likely it's his ear.

3. his is technically a very underskilled guitarist, as far as muscial chops go, he is probably the worst musician in the band. he is a very sloppy guitar player and at times is even out of key, and hits way too many bad notes.

4. He is not even the best guitarist in the band...far from it, he is the third best guitarist in this new GNR. Ron and especially Richard are light years ahead as far as musicianship goes...this really should be clear to anyone with a good ear.

5. the guitar playing on the leaks from him leave much to be desired(boring). the guitar work that was the most exciting to me was Bucket's...

6. he has butchered so many solos that I have heard, I cringe when it's his time up.

7. he often plays outside the time signature of the music. meaning he is out of time and sounds sloppy. some guitarist play behind or in front of the beat, but I would venture that based on his playing this is just done out of error becasue he is not consistent.

I would agree that he has good energy and loves what he is doing. he puts his whole person into his performance and I respect that. He is given the most playing time because of his tenure with Axl. Ultimately the only persons opinion that matter is Axl's so this post is really useless.