Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Gear Thread

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts
  • 08-May 05

I have a Fender Blues DeVille that had the original Sovteks in it. When I changed to Grooves, I realized why people buy tube amps.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • 30-August 13

I have a Fender Blues DeVille that had the original Sovteks in it. When I changed to Grooves, I realized why people buy tube amps.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tubes really matter in how an amp sounds. I actually don't know if I like the Groove pre-amp tubes, and I don't think I like the Sovtek power tubes, some Winged C and EH will do the trick.

Congratulations, knock yourself out. Are you planning to make its debut on the grand prix?

I'm going to judge since I'm running it, I think it's a bit in bad form for me to compete. I may just do a demo vid/soundclip of it anyway just to hear what it's like recorded. Won't be competing though (because obviously I'D WIN :P )

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

Randy, I am the liquor

• SILVER
  • 5,043 posts
  • 14-December 08

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tubes really matter in how an amp sounds. I actually don't know if I like the Groove pre-amp tubes, and I don't think I like the Sovtek power tubes, some Winged C and EH will do the trick.

Congratulations, knock yourself out. Are you planning to make its debut on the grand prix?

I'm going to judge since I'm running it, I think it's a bit in bad form for me to compete. I may just do a demo vid/soundclip of it anyway just to hear what it's like recorded. Won't be competing though (because obviously I'D WIN :P )

COMPETE!!!!

Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • 30-August 13

Was drunk.... so I bought JJ EL34's and Winged C EL34's...... guess I'll find out which I like better at least, maybe sell the others.

Anyway, thinking I'm gonna do an EH 12AX7 in V1, then a JJ ECC83 in V2, and finish it out with another EH in V3 - all balanced triodes and high gain. Should be killer, will hopefully have the whole rig up an running (with my new Boss OD2 from the mid-80s!) late next week.

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

Randy, I am the liquor

• SILVER
  • 5,043 posts
  • 14-December 08

Was drunk.... so I bought JJ EL34's and Winged C EL34's...... guess I'll find out which I like better at least, maybe sell the others.

Anyway, thinking I'm gonna do an EH 12AX7 in V1, then a JJ ECC83 in V2, and finish it out with another EH in V3 - all balanced triodes and high gain. Should be killer, will hopefully have the whole rig up an running (with my new Boss OD2 from the mid-80s!) late next week.

Nice! I was actually drunk when I made the decision to buy my amp and guitar. Alcohol can be awesome

Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • 23-December 10

Why? Because you can change your tubes if you don't like the stock one? I'm really curious now, since I never owned one...

Sad to hear that, was looking forward to listen to your demo. Oh, well...

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,175 posts
  • 08-May 05
I meant the stock tubes sucked and sounded assy. When I put grooves in there, it sounded great.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users