Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Gear Thread

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

MYGNR Int. Tone Championship Grand Prix Champion 2015

• SILVER
  • 5,640 posts
  • 14-December 08

I think you don't need a premium guitar to sound good.

It the old thing, put a Squier on the hands of Malmsteen, give Zakk and Slash a Epiphone, give Brian May a chinese Red Special and they'll sound great as well, with less sustain, with less tone but still they'll sound great .

The biggest diference is the feeling when playing cheap guitars; usually the action is high which slows you down, the frets buzz, the intonation is off, you have to pick hard for the cheap pickups to capture all your nuances, ... so it's more of a problem to you than to the audience, on a blind sound evaluation I'm sure the high end guitars wouldn't always win.

Also you can improve these cheap guitars with better pickups, leveling frets, chaning the electronics, ....

To me the biggest diference in your tone will always be the amp, so I think that you should always invest more on the amp than on the guitar itself. It's hard to upgrade an amp if it isn't good, a guitar is easely upgraded.

Definitely agree with that. I just love guitars so I like what I like lol

Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • 12-December 08

Yesterday I went to a local music shop where I go like once in a year.

Everytime I went there I saw this purple 100 Watt Marshall Vintage Modern halfstack and kept wondering about it, which was a total of 1700 dollar; it was there for years as a display model. The cabinet is loaded with 4 Celestion Greenback speakers.

Yesterday this half stack was at the entrance of the shop, together with other sale out items; it sure drawed my attention and I asked to test it.

I bounded with it imidiatelly - all the classic Marshall tones are there ; with less bite and brightness than a Jubilee but the same kind of tone, with better high gain (more definition) and better sustain that switches very nicely to singing feedback.  I also loved the Greenbacks, never had played them before.

After little tought I bought it; just couldn't pass this great sounding Marshall halfstack for a total of ... 500 dollar, of course with normal warranty (it's a new item, has just been sitting on the store for years)   :)

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • 30-August 13

Yesterday I went to a local music shop where I go like once in a year.

Everytime I went there I saw this purple 100 Watt Marshall Vintage Modern halfstack and kept wondering about it, which was a total of 1700 dollar; it was there for years as a display model. The cabinet is loaded with 4 Celestion Greenback speakers.

Yesterday this half stack was at the entrance of the shop, together with other sale out items; it sure drawed my attention and I asked to test it.

I bounded with it imidiatelly - all the classic Marshall tones are there ; with less bite and brightness than a Jubilee but the same kind of tone, with better high gain (more definition) and better sustain that switches very nicely to singing feedback.  I also loved the Greenbacks, never had played them before.

After little tought I bought it; just couldn't pass this great sounding Marshall halfstack for a total of ... 500 dollar, of course with normal warranty (it's a new item, has just been sitting on the store for years)   :)

Wait what? You talked them down to 500 from 1700?

EDIT: Oh I see, it was on sale? That's quite a sale!!! Congrats on the purchase. I've never played a VM, but they have a good reputation and Paul Gilbert (and Slash I think too) were using them for a bit.

Edited by OmarBradley, 15 February 2015 - 04:48 PM.

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • 12-December 08
They had put the half stack in sale out just the day before, Friday where there wasn't much movement on the store. Saturday was Valentine's day so no much movement as well , at least until I got to the shop at lunch time. They just wanted to get rid of it as well as other stuff ; as soon as I plugged the guitar I knew it had been sitting there all these years waiting for someone who really appreciate it, for me . I love the tone and how the amp is so dynamic and truthful to what you play, to your feeling; I guess it was destiny.

Paul Gilbert, Jeff Beck, Slash , Robin Trower have used it . The tone and response is 100% Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, GN'R , Nazareth , Thin Lizzy, Motley Crue; it'll be my main amp when I have a band again.

Edited by Klay, 15 February 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• OmarBradley likes this

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

MYGNR Int. Tone Championship Grand Prix Champion 2015

• SILVER
  • 5,640 posts
  • 14-December 08

Oh man, Klay, that sounds so sweeeeet!

I don't think I'll ever understand the use of a half stack these days unless you are playing an arena but god damn they are COOL! 

I guess they're worth it for that cool factor lol

• Klay likes this

Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • 12-December 08

I have 1x12 , 2x12 and 4x12 cabs; I also have a full stack but I use it very rarely!

Most of the times I use a 2x12 cab which is portable enough but it doesn't sounds anything like a 4x12 half stack where the sound is much richier, full, it shakes the ground, there's nothing like it   :wow:

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • 12-December 08

The blue Marshall:

image.jpg

• OmarBradley likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users