What does a ticket to the cinema cost where you live?

Guest Iron Fist SS

Maybe a weird question, but I was talking to someone else on here who said that the tickets in her country only costed 4 Euros, which I found amazingly low. I just checked up what Batman cost here. 125 SEK, which is about 15,2 Euros. If you preorder it, it cost 145 SEK (17,7 Euros), so as you might understand, I'm kind of annoyed with how high the prices for it are here. So it would be interesting to hear if the tickets are crazy expensive in other countries as well. I remember reading that Sweden, Japan and Norway had the highest price on the tickets some years ago.

17.7 Euros is approximately equal to $21.84 USD. For $21.84 I had better own the movie on Blu Ray, special edition with a bonus disc with commentary by a variety of different people, plus a "The making of" documentary or two. And it better get me a deal where I get a free bargain bin movie with its purchase. No way in hell I pay that to see a movie once in the theater.

Or if the cost included 3 beers of Sam Adams quality or better, I would consider paying that.

The magic of exchange rates.

Makes sense why your deodourants are so fucking expensive. Don't worry, you could always dry your tears on the flowing tresses of a blue eyed blonde haired nubile nordic maiden, best we can manage round here is gyppos :lol:

Deodorants are traded goods; movies are local services. Traded goods are those that you can load into a container and then into a boat or truck or train and move from one place to another. Local services have to be provided on the spot. World prices for traded goods (taxes, transport costs etc. notwithstanding) tend to converge; services are basically priced proportionally to how rich the place is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to the movies for ages but here in Australia I think last time I went it was A$20. The exchange rate is currently 1 for 1 to the US$. I only go if it's something I really want to see because it seems like such a ripoff.

Edited by Redhead74

Though, there's around 5-8 minutes worth of commercials before the movie, not sure if that has anything to do with Canadian prices being higher/lower. Not sure what the practice is over in Europe.

Lucky! Over here it's usually like half an hour or more dry.gif

I don't mind the trailers I just wish they'd sort out the advertised start times. I mean I don't even mind if the trailers start at the advertised time it's the fucking shit adverts for 15 minutes before that that do my head in. <_<

Though, there's around 5-8 minutes worth of commercials before the movie, not sure if that has anything to do with Canadian prices being higher/lower. Not sure what the practice is over in Europe.

I don't mind the trailers I just wish they'd sort out the advertised start times. I mean I don't even mind if the trailers start at the advertised time it's the fucking shit adverts for 15 minutes before that that do my head in. <_<

Exactly.

It's nice to see a few trailers, I don't mind them at all...but if I'm paying good money for a ticket I don't want to sit watching adverts for cars and random shite.

During evening hours its about $8, $12 for 3D. Not sure what the iMAX prices are around here, been a while since I've gone

But where they get you is the food. $4.75 for a large soda or popcorn. A hotdog costs $4.25. Pretty outrageous really. I usually skip the popcorn and drink, or just go for small soda. I usually have dinner after a movie anyways and there's a great Chinese buffet right next door for $10.

Edited by pugachev

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Really? Here if it says the film starts at 21.00, they'll open the theatre at like 20.30 and then you have 30 minutes to get in. At 21.00 the film starts though. Needless to say, I never walk in there more than earliest 10 minutes before it starts. I'd hate if it said it started at 21.00 and it didn't start until 21.30.

My protest against Capitalism is to be completely oblivious to my spending habits. So I can't really tell you. I miss the old $1 theaters that played the out-of-theater-but-not-quite-to-DVD movies.

Go to movies at university on-campus (or sometimes just off-campus) theaters. They still exist.

My protest against Capitalism is to be completely oblivious to my spending habits. So I can't really tell you. I miss the old $1 theaters that played the out-of-theater-but-not-quite-to-DVD movies.

Go to movies at university on-campus (or sometimes just off-campus) theaters. They still exist.

they have one in gainesville florida called gator cinema it was right around the corner from UF and it was very cheap i got in to watch friday the 13th and it was 5 bucks to get in

In Toronto, Canada it's around $12-$13. 3D movies are usually $3 more. Tuesdays are generally cheap nights, think it's around $10.

I'm not so much bothered by the ticket prices as I am with the popcorn and pop prices. A small popcorn and pop will run $10. Gouging at its worst.

It must be more in Toronto then. In Niagara, both of my local theaters are around $9.50 on a regular night, $4.50 on Tuesdays. Add a couple extra dollars for 3D movies.

Food is the killer so I try to avoid it, but usually if you're with a group of two or more people you can just get a large popcorn deal with a couple of drinks for about the same as it'd cost for a drink and popcorn of your own.

Sometimes if I'm not hungry I'll just bring my own drink. There's outrageously priced pop machines at the theater too, so if I bring my own Coke it's not like they know I didn't just get it from the pop machine. They're not that strict anyways.

Really? Here if it says the film starts at 21.00, they'll open the theatre at like 20.30 and then you have 30 minutes to get in. At 21.00 the film starts though. Needless to say, I never walk in there more than earliest 10 minutes before it starts. I'd hate if it said it started at 21.00 and it didn't start until 21.30.

Yeah, over here the advertised start time is always about half an hour before the main feature starts. If you go in at that time you'll often be sitting watching a blank screen for a few minutes before the commercials even start. Then you have the trailers to sit though as well before the movie starts. I won't go in until at least 15 minutes after the advertised starting time.

Edited by Dazey

in a premium theater where u get a couch and everything its about rs 250 or

USD:4.5078

euro:3.6120

in worst theaters without any dollby or even air conditioning its about rs 60 or,

USD:1.0819

euro:0.8669

:popcorn:

i read somewhere that in the US the price of a movie ticket is same as the price of a book. is it true?

Edited by Ketan

Maybe a weird question, but I was talking to someone else on here who said that the tickets in her country only costed 4 Euros, which I found amazingly low. I just checked up what Batman cost here. 125 SEK, which is about €15,2/$19/£12,1. If you preorder it, it cost 145 SEK (€17,7/$22/£14), so as you might understand, I'm kind of annoyed with how high the prices for it are here. So it would be interesting to hear if the tickets are crazy expensive in other countries as well. I remember reading that Sweden, Japan and Norway had the highest price on the tickets some years ago.

A normal movie cost 100NOK, that is about a BILLION SEK :D

or, about $16,89

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

A normal movie cost 100NOK, that is about a BILLION SEK :D

or, about $16,89

That would be exactly 112.4880 SEK. Which makes our cinemas more expensive than the fucking Norwegians even. What the hell?!

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt