Keep on thinking "Chinese Democracy" was a flop

GonzoThesaurus

like it or not, 'success' was where the bar was set. mediocre counts as a flop. the fact that you, the most ardently dedicated super fans, are trying so hard to split hairs between 'flop' and 'mediocrity' really says it all.

Err, don't blame us for knowing the difference between mediocrity and flop. A flop is the opposite of success, mediocrity is the vast space in-between.

And I have never said it wasn't a flop, I have just pointed out that no one has been able to argue successfully for why it is a flop, because no one has been able to convince me that the industry expectations were a lot more than 3 millions sold after 4 years. It could very well be that market guys expected 8 millions sold by now, I don't know, but until someone has provided that information then I am not willing to call it a flop. I can call it an artistic failure (because I feel parts of CD is absolutely horrible), disappointing (because I hoped for a lot more) and tragic (because in my opinion it doesn't bode well for the fortune), but just not a flop.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This band is GN'R in the same way Del James is a writer.

While it isn't a total dictatorship, it certainly isn't a band either.

You're right. Until Slash came aboard, the GN'R name was worth about the equivalent of a can of refried beans (not brand name.)

This band is GN'R in the same way Del James is a writer.

GN'R released a new record only 4 years ago, which is not uncommon to bands. When did Del last publish anything he has written?

While it isn't a total dictatorship, it certainly isn't a band either.

Err, there are plenty of bands where one or two band members have the final say in decisions. It doesn't make them less of a band. A band is a band when it consists of a bunch of musicians who play together.

You're right.

Of course I am.

Someone get this guy a lesson how to quote properly.

like it or not, 'success' was where the bar was set. mediocre counts as a flop. the fact that you, the most ardently dedicated super fans, are trying so hard to split hairs between 'flop' and 'mediocrity' really says it all.

Err, don't blame us for knowing the difference between mediocrity and flop. A flop is the opposite of success, mediocrity is the vast space in-between.

And I have never said it wasn't a flop, I have just pointed out that no one has been able to argue successfully for why it is a flop, because no one has been able to convince me that the industry expectations were a lot more than 3 millions sold after 4 years. It could very well be that market guys expected 8 millions sold by now, I don't know, but until someone has provided that information then I am not willing to call it a flop. I can call it an artistic failure (because I feel parts of CD is absolutely horrible), disappointing (because I hoped for a lot more) and tragic (because in my opinion it doesn't bode well for the fortune), but just not a flop.

Translation: waaah! waaah! No, it wasn't! Blah blah blah I can't hear you!

Man, eat a dick. It flopped like a sixty-five year old vagina on a silk mattress.

Del James, one book since 1993.

fake GNR Axl Rose, one album since 1993.

Seems they are pretty on par. So Roush has a good point.

Heh, your logic only works when you dumben yourself to the level of not accepting that the current band is Guns N' Roses. Well done there! I guess you are one of the confused souls who believe a band's name is somehow connected with particular band members. Del James may not be an active writer anymore, but only fools would deny that GN'R is very much an active band which released a new record a mere 4 years ago, so the original analogy failed.

Man, eat a dick. It flopped like a sixty-five year old vagina on a silk mattress.

Are you drunk or just stupid?

I can call it an artistic failure (because I feel parts of CD is absolutely horrible), disappointing (because I hoped for a lot more) and tragic (because in my opinion it doesn't bode well for the fortune), but just not a flop.

So all of that on top of the cost and length it took and you think it is a success?

Fuck me. If I could bottle what you are on and sell it to the masses I'd be made for life.

GN'R is very much an active band which released a new record a mere 4 years ago, so the original analogy failed.

you seriously believe the crap you are saying?

with 4 years ago with NO plans whatsoever for new material, and with the last original album before that in 1991 doesn't qualify as an active band.

Heh, your logic only works when you dumben yourself to the level of not accepting that the current band is Guns N' Roses. Well done there! I guess you are one of the confused souls who believe a band's name is somehow connected with particular band members. Del James may not be an active writer anymore, but only fools would deny that GN'R is very much an active band which released a new record a mere 4 years ago, so the original analogy failed.

Reality making you mad, witless?

Wait, look who I'm talking to. The guy with the screenname of a hypothetical Axl song that'll likely never see the light of day.

Ha.

Reality making you mad, witless?

When are you dumbasses gonna realize that it takes way more than a small squadron of Slashtards to piss anybody off? Hell, a large squadron of Slashtards couldn't get the job done. There just isn't enough of you to prove it.

I was fortunate to be at the Worcester, Ma. show the day after Thanksgiving 2011 and as far as I know the only time the band played "Scraped" on the whole US tour

screw anyone that does not like Chinese Democracy

each time I listen to it I love it even more

Naw, D_S. Reality does my job for me. Look at you guys scrambling to split hairs on how one defines "flop".

Who is "you guys"? I really couldn't care less if it flopped or not. I don't base my liking of things off of commercial success. You Slashtards should know how that is considering that there's only a handful of you dumb enough to like that crap. :shrugs:

Naw, D_S. Reality does my job for me. Look at you guys scrambling to split hairs on how one defines "flop".

Who is "you guys"? I really couldn't care less if it flopped or not. I don't base my liking of things off of commercial success. You Slashtards should know how that is considering that there's only a handful of you dumb enough to like that crap. :shrugs:

Playing the Slash card? Really?

Roush-

What is Slash's fault again? That he knows how to flop an album better than most? That very well may be, but I don't see how it changes anything, or why you're bringing it up. :shrugs:

Let's be real, man. I'm 90% sure the Challenger exploding was Slash's fault. Del sent me Intel :shrugs: :shrugs:

Chinese Democracy was a flop.

As much as I love the album, it certainly did not live up to expectations.

It sold what? 3 million worldwide? That's not exactly good for a 14 million dollar album that took over a decade to make and release.

It's not a knock on GN'R, the music, or Axl himself, it just didn't live up to it's expectations. And there are a few reasons for that too: the leaks, the long wait, and the constant miscued release dates. If it was released during the 2006 tour, it would have sold much more, IMO. They released it on a downtime and it had no video's, interviews, or promotion of any kind on a large scale.

The music is excellent, and I hope we get more of it in the future.

Chinese Democracy was a flop.

As much as I love the album, it certainly did not live up to expectations.

It sold what? 3 million worldwide? That's not exactly good for a 14 million dollar album that took over a decade to make and release.

It's not a knock on GN'R, the music, or Axl himself, it just didn't live up to it's expectations. And there are a few reasons for that too: the leaks, the long wait, and the constant miscued release dates. If it was released during the 2006 tour, it would have sold much more, IMO. They released it on a downtime and it had no video's, interviews, or promotion of any kind on a large scale.

The music is excellent, and I hope we get more of it in the future.

Part of the reason it flopped was probably the Best Buy deal. But it was necessary to get the album out. It was definitely never going to sell enough to cover the 14 mil it cost. I think it definitely flopped for Best Buy.

In the US it flopped but world wide sales seem to be decent. Overall I'd say it wasn't a flop but in the US it was based on Best Buys expectations.

I'm glad they did a deal and got the record out to the fans eventually. People probably got paid, maybe only Best Buy lost out.