Keep on thinking "Chinese Democracy" was a flop

GonzoThesaurus

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of promotion thing is also another fanboy concocted myth designed to excuse the albums failings.

CD was the most talked about and anticipated album in decades, possibly ever.

If you didn't know it had finally been released then you were either off-planet or in a coma.

This.

There were tv commercials.

There were magazine ads.

One song released in a Leo Decaprio movie.

One song released on a popular video game.

Album was previewed on MySpace.

Three singles were released.

Along with being the most anticipated release of all time.

To say this album had no publicity is ludicrous. What more do people want? Record execs to go door to door? This album got more promotion than 99% of albums do.

I agree except, there were no music videos. Also Rose and co. didn't personally promote the record (music magazines, radio, visits to record stores etc). This is all normal with a major rock release.

It is obvious the small amount of promotion hurt the album sales, the label itself was angry with Axl for going AWOL at such a crucial moment. It is also obvious that selling more than 3 mill records is good, really good, although a lot of people probably expected more and hence might feel that it didn't meet expectations. Whether those expectations were realistic or not, is something else.

small amount of promotion? the label did they best they could. it got good promotion. the quality of the album was the reason it didn't sell so well.

Yes, the amount of promotion was a lot less than expected for a band of GN'R's stature especially given the circumstances. And no, the record sold well.

Only a fool would consider 3 million+ a flop.

The album's mixing and production is questionable, but I love the source material. To this day, I really dig the lyrics in Chinese Democracy. For the live shows, I look forward to when they fire off the eponymous song early in the set.

It don't really matter

You're gonna find out for yourself

No it don't really matter

You're gonna leave this thing to somebody else

If they were missionaries

Real time visionaries

Sitting in a Chinese stew

To view my dis-in-fat-u-ation

I know that I'm a classic case

Watch my disenchanted face

Blame it on the Falun Gong

They've seen the end and it can't hold on now

'Cause it would take a lot more hate than you

To end the fascination

Even with an iron fist

All they got to rule the nation

When all I've got is precious time

It don't really matter

Guess I'll keep it to myself

Said it don't really matter

It's time I look around for somebody else

'Cause it would take a lot more time than you

Have got for masturbation

Even with your iron fist

All they got to rule the nation

When all we got is precious time

All they got to fool the nation

When all I got is precious time

It don't really matter

I guess you'll find out for yourself

No it don't really matter

So you can hear it now from somebody else

You think you got it all locked up inside

And if you beat 'em enough they'll die

It's like a walk in the park from a cell

And now you're keeping your own kind in hell

When your great wall rocks blame yourself

While their arms reach up for your help

And you're out of time

Edited by brainsaber

Only a fool would consider 3 million+ a flop.

Considering that's a worldwide sales # and when compared to past releases under the same name, it's a flop.

But why would you compare it to past releases? The only sensible thing is to compare it to what it is reasonable to achieve, and if it fails at that then it is a flop.

Edited by SoulMonster

i like it and that is enough for me. i mean what difference does it make if the album was an official hit or not. you have to be honest to yourself. if you like it you like it. if you don't you can't help it.

i mean think about Velvet Underground. who cares that their initial albums were flops? those very albums today are regarded as one of the most influential ones. being popular( and thus being hit) is not a proof of quality nor greatness.

I agree with you about CD. I like it very much. I also loved VU and had all their albums back in the 60's and 70's. Loved Lou Reed too.

I feel if you're a fan of a band or a performer and like what they do, then that's good enough for me.

I've seen so many horror movies, that have gotten 0 ratings, but I enjoyed them and still do today.

I don't listen to so called critics because most of them don't like whoever the hell they are rating anyway. If I like it, then like you said, that's good enough for me.

When I go to a concert and hear all the fans singing along and screaming like I did in Dallas and Vegas for GNR, then that about says it all!

It is obvious the small amount of promotion hurt the album sales, the label itself was angry with Axl for going AWOL at such a crucial moment. It is also obvious that selling more than 3 mill records is good, really good, although a lot of people probably expected more and hence might feel that it didn't meet expectations. Whether those expectations were realistic or not, is something else.

Are you referring to Axl's lack of promoting the album?

Because I saw as much promotion for the album as any rock album I've seen during the time. There were tv commercials. There were print ads in magazines. Didn't the MySpace thing break records? Like 15 million listens or something. And songs in popular video games and major Hollywood movies. Plus three singles. That is more promotion than 99% of albums receive.

The problem with proclaiming 3 million albums sold to be a big success is that you have to look at the entire picture. You and I releasing a modern day version Air Supply and selling 3million copies would be a hit.

But Axl Rose, Guns n Roses, the album people have been talking about for a decade....and, the big number....13 to 14 million dollars. Can an album that cost 13 million to make sell just 3 million and be considered a success?