Michael Jackson

RussTCB

^

Can you dance better than that Mike? That's great dancing if you ask me.

Do you literally mean me? Because the answer might suprise you. I won 2 different talent shows, one at my high school, for dancing like MJ. I used to know how to do thriller, beat it, smooth criminal, bad, and billie jean. Moonwalk and the lean included. Of course thats when I was younger and in better shape. I can still do billie jean better than 90% of the people out there. Just last year I was at a wedding and this kid thought he was hot shit. We got into a little dance off, then the dj played billie jean and I put him down pretty bad. The whole crowd was hollering. One lady even came up to me and asked if I was a professional dancer. So I guess I still got it pretty good. But I used to be awesome!!! Now I'm just old lol.

Guest Len B'stard

Shit man, you can do the lean? :lol: How do you do it? I saw a tutorial on the moonwalk on youtube one day when i was bored and browsing, looked pretty simple in principle but Jacko just gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiides at that shit :)

I'd love to be able to do all that shit.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Possibly the greatest American performer of all time.

I'd go as far as saying worldwide

To be fair, you'd have to know a lot more about music to be qualified to make that judgement. Not just you, I mean people in general.

^

Do you literally mean me? Because the answer might suprise you. I won 2 different talent shows, one at my high school, for dancing like MJ. I used to know how to do thriller, beat it, smooth criminal, bad, and billie jean. Moonwalk and the lean included. Of course thats when I was younger and in better shape. I can still do billie jean better than 90% of the people out there. Just last year I was at a wedding and this kid thought he was hot shit. We got into a little dance off, then the dj played billie jean and I put him down pretty bad. The whole crowd was hollering. One lady even came up to me and asked if I was a professional dancer. So I guess I still got it pretty good. But I used to be awesome!!! Now I'm just old lol.

That's awesome. I've seen that happen at a few weddings and it's really cool when a couple of dancers who can really throw down go at it.

Shit man, you can do the lean? :lol: How do you do it? I saw a tutorial on the moonwalk on youtube one day when i was bored and browsing, looked pretty simple in principle but Jacko just gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiides at that shit :)

I always say that about the moonwalk; it's easy enough to learn but nobody but nobody can do it like Mike.

MJ taught me how to the moonwalk (not in person, just off the TV) and I was the first kid in school to be able to do it, so yeah I like MJ. Had his posters all over my wall, but don't really listen to him anymore.

Why not if you mind me asking? I mean to compare to the typical situation he's obviously not one of those artists you cringe at when meditating on the days of your early adolescence or what have you.

I just don't like blacks.

You tell em Lenny! :lol:

The lean is hard, much harder than the moonwalk. I will admit that I never quite perfected it, but (when I was in my prime) I could pull it off respectably. It's all in your ankles. Go to the point where your about to fall on your face, stop a little before that. I haven't even attempted this in years, so I doubt I can still do it. Thriller and billie jean are the most requested ones, and the ones I can still do pretty good. Especially Billie Jean. Thriller is pretty easy really, MJ's parts are the hardest, the back up dancer parts are not hard. Anyone can learn in a couple of hours. If you have decent rhythm that is.

The moonwalk is all about having the right shoes. Jackson always wore those little loafers. They are pretty much essential for a good moonwalk. It's easy to do in socks on a hard floor, but it doesn't look cool without shoes. In my socks was how I practiced it, used to moonwalk around my kitchen. If the floor has a lot of dust on it, you can do it in sneakers. But sneakers are made to grip, so its kinda counter productive. Like someone else said, i just watched him do it then copied it. For the record I could never do the moonwalk or the lean as good as MJ. But I did it well enough to win talent shows. If you ever watched the fresh prince of bell air, I was better than carlton, and he was pretty damn good at it.

The toe jump, leg kicks, and spins are essential. Without those, you got nothing. And those moves you can pull off in any shoes on pretty much any surface. I can still do these moves whenever I want, even being older and fatter. ;)

^

That's awesome. I've seen that happen at a few weddings and it's really cool when a couple of dancers who can really throw down go at it.

I always say that about the moonwalk; it's easy enough to learn but nobody but nobody can do it like Mike.

I agree with that for the most part, but with enough practice its like anything else. I wasn't as good as MJ, but I could moonwalk like a mother fucker. I even got the sideways moonwalk down at one point. The sideways one is harder.

Didn't he do the lean with help from strategically placed hooks in the floor?

I've heard that before. I've also heard magnets were in the floor and in their shoes, but who knows? I would love to find out the truth about it, but honestly I wouldn't be suprised if it was just good ole' fashion practice and hard work.

On a side note, he never gets the credit he deserves for the robot. I doubt he invented it, but he sure as hell perfected it. Go watch some old dancing machine videos.

I actually did look up "the lean" and your right they had special shoes made. Bastard, no wonder I could never pull it off properly.

Edited by Mike420

Guest Len B'stard

I actually did look up "the lean" and your right they had special shoes made. Bastard, no wonder I could never pull it off properly.

:lol: awwww, i got this image of poor 9 yr old Mike wondering why he cant pull it off and feeling a failure, if thats what stopped you from trying to go professional i think me and you should find Jackos grave and desicrate it :lol:

I got this image of poor 9 yr old Mike wondering why he cant pull it off ........

Something I'm sure Michael would have been more than happy to help him with! :lol:

Check out 2:47 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGfwZGK8niw

Any particular reason why he appears to be wearing his nana's bathing suit under that jacket? :lol:

Edited by Dazey

I got this image of poor 9 yr old Mike wondering why he cant pull it off ........

Something I'm sure Michael would have been more than happy to help him with! :lol:

Any particular reason why he appears to be wearing his nana's bathing suit under that jacket? :lol:

By "his nana", do you mean "Madonna"? :D That outfit always reminded me of Madge's get up for the Blonde Ambition Tour.

Guest Len B'stard

Using the term 'nana' is a sign of a true fuckin' pikey :lol:

On topic:

People give his videos a lot of love and i gotta say Smooth Criminal is pretty sick and Thriller is like one of those moment in time things but usually they are very over-produced, often highly camp and just as often, highly patronising and sanctimonious.

The man had a fucking four octave vocal range. I've bolded, italicized and underlined that, in case you missed it.

So did Freddie Mercury.

haters-gonna-hate-freddie-mercury_zpsaff

Freddie did have a great voice, but this dance preformance you so kindly showed us is exactly why MJ was better. Great singer yes, great dancer? Ummm, no.

Without the need of dance steps, his stage presence is still incredible, which has even more merit.

It's subtle, but the little step back they all take right after the lean always made me think the hooks or magnets theory was in play.

Anyone has still any doubt that there were magnets? He was good but he was human.

Edited by izzygirl

:lol: awwww, i got this image of poor 9 yr old Mike wondering why he cant pull it off and feeling a failure, if thats what stopped you from trying to go professional i think me and you should find Jackos grave and desicrate it :lol:

Lol, it was the reason why I gave it all up. Never being able to execute the lean properly has always haunted me. Bastard tricked me. But the real reason why I gave up the whole MJ schtick was because I bought a guitar. Traded in the white glove for an electric 6 string and never looked back. It was fun while it lasted. I gotta be honest though I pretty much checked out after HIStory. Guns N' Roses seemed a whole hell of a lot cooler than MJ. But There Was A Time....

I just hope Axl doesn't force me to check out....

The man had a fucking four octave vocal range. I've bolded, italicized and underlined that, in case you missed it.

So did Freddie Mercury.

haters-gonna-hate-freddie-mercury_zpsaff

Freddie did have a great voice, but this dance preformance you so kindly showed us is exactly why MJ was better. Great singer yes, great dancer? Ummm, no.

Oh please. That picture clearly is not meant to be a showcase of dancing abilities. cupcake harder.

MJ in his prime would always out shine whomever was dumb enough to share the stage with him.

Yeah because to correctly execute a Jacko performance of the sort that enthralls you so the whole stage show/set up has to be constructed around him and to serve him. Thats what this image of the great Michael Jackson who could whip up a storm just by singing and dancing, well he fuckin' couldn't, there was an entire like, bajillion dollar production fuelling his peak.

Elvis got those same reactions, arguably even more rabid, from crowds when he was just playing state fairs, just him, Scotty Moore, Bill Black and his dick. No flashing lights, jet packs, fireworks, light shows and all that fuckin' bullshit.

At the same time though when Elvis was doing his thing rock'n'roll was a new and exciting thing and there was a big explosion of energy for a whole generation. Many of those teens in the audience might have been at their first show. Transplant Elvis to a few decades later when pop music was already old, have him do whatever contemporary fad music, would he get the same crowd feedback? Or take Michael Jackson put him into a time machine and send him back to 1957, and give him just the back up band like you said. You think he wouldn't get the same kind of response Elvis did?